IGNORED

John Shrader: Killing Snakes & Grifting Appliances for Jesus

happy atheist

John shared a bit more detail about his trip to the eastern province to help the Phiris with their sister's burial. He had to build a large roof rack for the Truth Carrier to hold the casket and luggage. Traveling was fraught with drama, as they were apparently run off the road by a truck. John was invited to help preach at the funeral, and he was shocked and appalled by the singing from local church choirs. He claimed the lyrics went like so:

The shock came when one began to sing, "Be encouraged. Whether you are encouraged in God or the Devil be encouraged.

The second verse was even worse!

"You will be comforted. Whether you are in Christ or in the Devil you will be comforted."

Of course, he was depending on Kennedy to translate, so I'm not sure how he even knew what the words were :? Overall he spent about 10 hours preaching and doing one-on-one training. He wants to make it absolutely clear that Zambians are not real christians and they totally need his teaching.

Also, Esther would like us to know that John is definitely not a lazy freeloader, even the locals think so!

While John was in Zimbabwe I had to go and take care of some business for him. While there, a group of guys were standing around talking about John, some of the things they said were; "he is NOT a musungu" "he works hard" "he doesn't pay people to do his work" "he knows how to negotiate" "when he has to bring in help he works with them and learns" "he is a good testimony"! Praise the Lord! ‪#‎happytobehiswife‬ ‪#‎greatfulformyhardworkinghusbsnd

And finally, John's "survey trip" to Zimbabwe was mostly a birthday present for Enoch. They have decided that being 12 is a BFD because Jesus started preaching at 12 and Jewish boys start "becoming men" at that age, so they've been looking for something fun to do with Enoch since his birthday in January.

They met a man in Zambia whose parents managed a fishing camp, so they traveled off to visit them. It took them hours to get across the border, so they passed out lots of tracts along the way. Once they made it to the fishing camp, they overnighted it in the Truth Carrier. The next day they grifted were blessed with a trip out to the river to fish, and a chance to stay at the lodge overnight FREE OF CHARGE. Seriously, so blessed. Enoch miraculously caught a 10 lb. tiger fish, even though it was the off season. They also saw tons of animals, including elephants and hippos. It actually sounds like an awesome day for a 12yo, real talk. For everything Enoch has to put up with from his ridiculous parents, I think it was well-deserved.

They then traveled on to Harare for more bible study and tract distribution. John was happy to make contact with more potential converts who were hungry for the gospel. They have "been praying" for Zimbabwe for 2 years now (despite never talking about it specifically) and now have even more of a burden for the country after traveling there.

John apparently decided to take a page out of Steve Maxwell's book and cover the Truth Carrier in bible verses and phrases like "If you died tonight, would you go to HEAVEN or HELL?" Klassy as always.

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a former adventist, I'm tempted to go up to John and tell him "neither. When I die, I'm going to sleep in the grave till Jesus comes" and then proceed to out bible him.

(Regardless of what one believes on the state of the dead, trying to out bibke a former adventist is a bad idea 70% of the time.)

That does sound like a fun birthday trip for a 22 year old, minus the tidbit drink part.

Also, Esther would like us to know that John is definitely not a lazy freeloader, even the locals think so!

"Greatful?"

How's the homeschooling going?

When do we start taking bets on when John will move the family to Zimbabwe...a heathen land they've always had a burden for--at least for a few weeks.

While John was in Zimbabwe I had to go and take care of some business for him. While there, a group of guys were standing around talking about John, some of the things they said were; "he is NOT a musungu" "he works hard" "he doesn't pay people to do his work" "he knows how to negotiate" "when he has to bring in help he works with them and learns" "he is a good testimony"! Praise the Lord! ‪#‎happytobehiswife‬ ‪#‎greatfulformyhardworkinghusbsnd

It looks like Zambians have perfected the art of sarcasm!

So, she thinks these guys didn't notice her when she was eavesdropping on them?

Also, a few places descibe the term musungu in different ways.

Wiki says this

. . .Traditionally Europeans were seen to be people of means and rich and so the terminology was extended to denote affluent persons regardless of race. It would therefore not be unusual to find any employer being referred to as "mzungu.". . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mzungu

and this blogger explains the term more here

For those new to the Swahili word, ‘mzungu’ or ‘muzungu’ (sounds like “muh-zun-goooâ€) is generally taken to mean ‘white man’, although it does apply to women as well. It can also mean some sort of ‘boss’, even if you are black, brown or white!

So, it can mean a white man (or woman!), a European, the boss or the person who is paying!

http://polishingpeanuts.com/volunteer-a ... u-muzungu/

IN this context, the phrases he is NOT a musungu" and "he doesn't pay people to do his work" may not be as complimentary as Esther might think. He's not a boss or rich person and he's not an employer and / or he doesn't pay people.... we discussed that he has reported letting other people buy him and his family treats and refreshments, etc. John may be known to not be the person who is paying.

It looks like Zambians have perfected the art of sarcasm!

It reminds me of a very old joke:

A Christian missionary was speaking to the crowd in a remote South American village.

"God is the creator of the universe and created everything in just six days!"

"Huzzunga!" the crowd shouted.

Seeing how excited the villagers seemed to be, the missionary continued. "We are all sinners because the first two humans, Adam & Eve, were tricked by Satan disguised as a talking snake and convinced them to eat from the tree of knowledge."

"Huzzunga!" the crowd shouted.

"God sent his only son to die for all our sins so that we may be saved from the fires of Hell."

"Huzzunga! Huzzunga!" went the crowd.

"And God sent me here because he loves you and wants you to be saved as well."

"Huzzunga! Huzzunga! Huzzunga!" the crowd chanted.

After speaking to the villagers, the chief was showing the missionary the villages prized bull. "All our best cattle came from this bull," said the chief.

"May I get a little closer to see it?" the missionary asked.

"Yes you may," said the chief, "but be careful not to step in the huzzunga."

Another African missionary story from someone I know this actually happened to!

The men of the village were sitting in the hot sun and the women and children were sitting under a temporary shelter as the missionary gave the invitation for people to come forward to receive Christ.

Suddenly, ALL of the women and children rushed forward, much to the delight of the missionary!

Turns out, a snake had fallen from the roof of the shelter...

This reminds me of a Passover Seder I went to back in the early 80s. I was in San Francisco, and the couple hosting the seder were Jewish but only some of the guests were. Each step of the seder ritual was explained as we went along (even more than usual), for the benefit of the gentile guests. Next to the dining room was a door to the yard, which we had left ajar as per the tradition, with a glass of wine nearby for the prophet Elijah.

At the moment in the recitation when reference was made to the wine and the invitation to the prophet Elijah to enter the room, the door slowly began to creak open. We all were astounded.

Then we saw the reason for the door opening -- the nudging nose of a sweet, huge Newfoundland dog, belonging to one of the guests and relegated to the yard for the duration of dinner. :lol: :lol:

ETA: I hope they called that dog "Elijah" for a good long while after that...

So, she thinks these guys didn't notice her when she was eavesdropping on them?

Also, a few places descibe the term musungu in different ways.

Wiki says this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mzungu

and this blogger explains the term more here

http://polishingpeanuts.com/volunteer-a ... u-muzungu/

IN this context, the phrases he is NOT a musungu" and "he doesn't pay people to do his work" may not be as complimentary as Esther might think. He's not a boss or rich person and he's not an employer and / or he doesn't pay people.... we discussed that he has reported letting other people buy him and his family treats and refreshments, etc. John may be known to not be the person who is paying.

You just reminded me I read a book set in Africa… Sorry don't know what country it was years ago and people who didn't have maids etc where thought selfish because they should be employing someone and paying a wage

You just reminded me I read a book set in Africa… Sorry don't know what country it was years ago and people who didn't have maids etc where thought selfish because they should be employing someone and paying a wage

I also wondered about that...he talks about the local men helping him do things (more at first, less now) and I'm certain he never would have paid them a cent for any of their "help" because he would view them as church volunteers. If they understood that was the deal before they helped him, we will never know.

They have "been praying" for Zimbabwe for 2 years now (despite never talking about it specifically) and now have even more of a burden for the country after traveling there.

I had to read this sentence twice. For some reason (!) I originally read it as, "and now are even more of a burden for the country after traveling there."

I had to read this sentence twice. For some reason (!) I originally read it as, "and now are even more of a burden for the country after traveling there."

That's probably more accurate :lol: Fundie-speak is weird.

I read it as "Hmm, the Rea family is here now and we share a lot of followers on facebook. I may need to scoot on off to another country so the direct comparison is not as obvious.

Or, the "keep moving so you always have an excuse not to accomplish anything" strategy may be in play.

I read it as "Hmm, the Rea family is here now and we share a lot of followers on facebook. I may need to scoot on off to another country so the direct comparison is not as obvious.

Or, the "keep moving so you always have an excuse not to accomplish anything" strategy may be in play.

I think it is probably a combination of both. John also has a long history of quickly losing interest in projects. His two years of traveling to raise money to go to Zambia is about the longest he has stuck with something. Most likely that was easier for him to stick with because they were constantly moving, constantly seeing new people, constantly getting more money for whatever idea popped into John's head, and he was receiving constant praise. All that is over now and I wouldn't be surprised if he is bored with Zambia and looking for something new to do.

Remember a young man named Arnaud that had John and maybe Rea over to his house for a prayer meeting and refreshments or a meal or something? That young man lived in Burundi but he now says that he is living in a refugee camp. I wonder if John has offered to help him since he was so blessed with Arnaud's hospitality?

I once taught in a native community(northern Ontario, Canada). I felt it would be demeaning to the people to hire someone to clean my house. However, I learned that this was not the case at all. They wanted the job and I was depriving someone of a little extra money. So maybe not the compliment Esther thinks it is!

Ugh he's going on about biblical repentance again on his fb page. And how Russia is awesome for its stance on 'sodomy'

Ugh he's going on about biblical repentance again on his fb page. And how Russia is awesome for its stance on 'sodomy'

I'm not sure why he's so complimentary of Russia in this instance. I know he hates the gays, but if he can't even agree with other baptists about doctrine, then surely the Russian orthodox are going to hell.

We are currently on a They Might be Giants kick at our house & every time I hear this song I think of our special buddy John.

bing.com/videos/search?q=they+might+be+giants+sunday+is+a+day+of+rest&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=2E8AFE966B07D0E4A75E2E8AFE966B07D0E4A75E

Apparently, John was hit by a mystery rash from head to toe (he did supply a wonderful picture, but I'll refrain from inflicting that on everyone). So what is he treating this rash with? Why essential oils, of course! Along with some apple cider vinegar and coconut oil...

John is also inflicting his brand of Christianity upon a young man named Jolis, who survived a beheading at the age of 5. There is a picture of Jolis' neck and a large scar. Awful :cry: Jolis is a friend of Arcade, and wishes to be baptised.

John is also busily trying to convert his neighbours son, Peter. Peter's father is a staunch Catholic, and his mother a Seventh Day Adventist. So John is busily showing him the right type of religion, probably to get another notch on his conversion belt. John says Peter is...

....also troubled to see the foolishness that the Charasmatics are bringing even into the public schools and trying to influence the children.

Also, he has posted this link http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/07/25/ ... w.facebook to the unveiling of a satanic statue in Detroit, but says before parents become outraged, they should look at themselves and the devil's presence in their own homes in the form of Disney movies, and even the Smurfs...with warlocks and wizardry and much evilness.

He's a very busy boy it would seem...

Apparently, John was hit by a mystery rash from head to toe (he did supply a wonderful picture, but I'll refrain from inflicting that on everyone). So what is he treating this rash with? Why essential oils, of course! Along with some apple cider vinegar and coconut oil...

John is also inflicting his brand of Christianity upon a young man named Jolis, who survived a beheading at the age of 5. There is a picture of Jolis' neck and a large scar. Awful :cry: Jolis is a friend of Arcade, and wishes to be baptised.

John is also busily trying to convert his neighbours son, Peter. Peter's father is a staunch Catholic, and his mother a Seventh Day Adventist. So John is busily showing him the right type of religion, probably to get another notch on his conversion belt. John says Peter is...

Also, he has posted this link http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/07/25/ ... w.facebook to the unveiling of a satanic statue in Detroit, but says before parents become outraged, they should look at themselves and the devil's presence in their own homes in the form of Disney movies, and even the Smurfs...with warlocks and wizardry and much evilness.

He's a very busy boy it would seem...

Flashback to my childhood. The Smurfs were totally considered evil when I was a kid........um, in the '80s. Get with the times, Grifter. Typical Fundy. Always about 20 years behind in terms of cultural relevance. I'll bet his daughters are not allowed to have those Satanic Cabbage Patch Kids, either.

And how awful about that young man, Jolis. And now he has to endure John.

Glad to see John has jumped on the "essential oil will cure everything" bandwagon. :angry-banghead:

Flashback to my childhood. The Smurfs were totally considered evil when I was a kid........um, in the '80s. Get with the times, Grifter. Typical Fundy. Always about 20 years behind in terms of cultural relevance. I'll bet his daughters are not allowed to have those Satanic Cabbage Patch Kids, either.

And how awful about that young man, Jolis. And now he has to endure John.

Glad to see John has jumped on the "essential oil will cure everything" bandwagon. :angry-banghead:

No need for cabbage patch kids when they have their own babies to "play" with! It's rare to see a picture of Alatheia where she's not carrying or wearing one of the younger kids.

John's always been on the alt medicine bandwagon. One of the super important things to bring to Zambia was the colloidal silver generator :roll: He didn't have any benadryl in the house, but he definitely had essential oils and apple cider vinegar! The oils didn't help with the itch, but he's totally sure they helped with the healing anyway.

Archived