IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Other Bates Family Doings

happy atheist

Cherin's baby boy nickname as Carson....

Carson! Son of Bates! It's all so much Downton Abbey! (Of course I know he'll be a Paine - lol) but still...I immediately went to DA when I heard they were calling him Carson.

I love it. Those two are adorable and hopefully he'll have a better chance of growing up to be a good, sensible, decent man with Chad as an example (vs. JimBoob or Gil).

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Erin reads FJ, cause she was very careful to explain that they know Carson is not a nickname for Charles...

It's like she was anticipating what we would write here! ;)

I think if you name a baby "Charles Stephen" and tell people to call him Carson, I think it's a question they were getting as soon as they started telling people. Especially I'm sure they know at least one upfront Southern woman who asked directly.

My aunt and uncle named my cousin Elizabeth but always intended to have her go by "Ellie". If they had a nickel for every time they were asked "Why don't you name her 'Eleanor'?" "Why don't you name her Elaine?" "Why don't you name her ?", they could fund her college education. People ask a lot of questions about names...especially when you do something not entirely standard.

I think if you name a baby "Charles Stephen" and tell people to call him Carson, I think it's a question they were getting as soon as they started telling people. Especially I'm sure they know at least one upfront Southern woman who asked directly.

My aunt and uncle named my cousin Elizabeth but always intended to have her go by "Ellie". If they had a nickel for every time they were asked "Why don't you name her 'Eleanor'?" "Why don't you name her Elaine?" "Why don't you name her ?", they could fund her college education. People ask a lot of questions about names...especially when you do something not entirely standard.

I have a relative who is Elizabeth, called Ellie and as far as I know their hasn't been a problem. She is named after her maternal Great-Grandmother who passed away just before she was born. I think it's a cute name for a little girl and it can be aged up. Ellie, Elle, Elizabeth. I also know a Danielle who went by Dani until she decided one day at 18 she wanted to be called Ellie. Which I think was a bit to young for her. Even 10 years later she insists on being called Ellie.

On my maternal side of the family most of the men have the name John (even a lot of the men who married into it). Everyone but the oldest John born into the family mainly go by their middle names. If you are a John who married into the family it goes by attributes i.e. 'Big John'. At family reunions if you don't know the guys names you just call them John- you have 90% chance of technically being right!

Allie, Bradley, Carson... I see a trend here. I predict a Delilah or David next, either Michael's first or Zach's second.

I think Erin reads FJ, cause she was very careful to explain that they know Carson is not a nickname for Charles...

It's like she was anticipating what we would write here! ;)

I think it is more likely she realizes that it is a weird nickname for Charles and is just getting her reasoning out there so she can limit inquiries.

Allie, Bradley, Carson... I see a trend here. I predict a Delilah or David next, either Michael's first or Zach's second.

Hah, I noticed this too but it's not quite perfect since Bradley is the oldest, followed by Allie then Carson (provided nothing horrific happens to Erin in the next five weeks causing her to deliver very prematurely before Alyssa's due date). So it'll be B-A-C etc. Maybe they'll try to spell words with the grandkid's initials instead. I vote for Bacardi, which is what I would need to make it through a few hours with one of these families.

When do we think Brandon & Michael's wedding will be? Between Alyssa & Erin's due dates? Would that make it sometime in May?

I've checked & no registries show up for them at the Knot, Target or BBB--so I don't think they are sneaking a wedding in the next few weeks.

Do you think she will have just a few bridesmaids? Perhaps just Tori, Carlin & 1 or 2 of Brandon's sisters?

In the South, Chad is a ridiculously popular name/nickname for guys aged about 20-50. I also like Carson because it's not an expected nickname. Someone had to be the first William to go by Bill.

I agree. My grandfathers name was...let's say Benjamin and he was always called Jackie. It's quite common in Australia and England to do that. Polly was a nickname for Mary, Daisy & Peggy for Margaret in England/Oz for hundreds of years.

It is interesting that Chad's brother doesn't hold to the strict modest standards. I guess he is truly not a fan of Gothard's teaching as he previously mentioned. Very interesting.

Hey--so I don't have Up TV. Anyone know where I can see these episodes online? Where is everyone watching them?

well, if you search for "bringing up bates free online" on [redacted] you can find the first episode. but other than that I've only found downloads on [redacted]. :think:

I think it is more likely she realizes that it is a weird nickname for Charles and is just getting her reasoning out there so she can limit inquiries.

I like Erin and Chad. Carson is NEVER a nick name for Charles.

I agree. My grandfathers name was...let's say Benjamin and he was always called Jackie. It's quite common in Australia and England to do that. Polly was a nickname for Mary, Daisy & Peggy for Margaret in England/Oz for hundreds of years.

My husbands grandfathers name was William, but everyone always called him Chook. Even his grandkids :lol: Don't get much more Aussie than that.

I knew a guy who everyone- even his children- called Boof. Short for Boofhead. Now that's Australian!

ETA- The thing about Boofhead is you can't say it without sounding incredibly Australian- almost Bogan- and as a South Australian I like my vaguely English accent (My Dad's English so my accent is just a touch more English than other South Australians).

post-2155-14451999993321_thumb.jpgAlyssa Bates Webster had a baby shower. It was an explosion of hot pink, as expected.

And it looks like she and her daughter are never ever going to cover their shoulders. :)

My dad used to work with a man called Bootie. :lol: I don't think anyone knew what his real name was.

Alyssa Bates Webster had a baby shower. It was an explosion of hot pink, as expected.

And it looks like she and her daughter are never ever going to cover their shoulders. :)

She looks hot in that black dress, I'm a sucker for little black dresses. Kelly can go and eff herself.

That pink is very similar to the pink along with the bright blue she had her wedding. Very tropical shade of pink.

Now if she were having a boy, I can totally see that bright blue also.

It looks like Alyssa is holding up a normal one-piece baby bathing suit in one photo. I have a feeling there will be no Wholesome Wear suits in that household :D

Considering the fact that John's family is fundy but dresses pretty much like everyone else, I would guess that he doesn't care what she or their daughter will wear. To him, she is dressed normally whether her shirt is sleeveless or she is wearing tight jeans. I will say that she always dresses beautifully, even when she was still living at home with limited funds.

It looks like Alyssa is holding up a normal one-piece baby bathing suit in one photo. I have a feeling there will be no Wholesome Wear suits in that household :D

it looks like a baby version and a mama version. so cute!

it looks like a baby version and a mama version. so cute!

Actually I think it is a little dress to go over the baby swim suit. Or maybe a dress for when she gets older... I know friends of mine who have specifically asked for clothes larger than 6 months... cuz they gets tons of 0-6 months and then at 6 months, the baby is naked. :D

That being said, I'm counting the days until Alyssa posts a pic of herself in a real swim suit so we know she is really going fundie lite. Should we take bets on when? :lol:

Of course Grandpa Duggar talked about his feelings on having a mega sized family and look where that got him.

Okay, I thought you were saying they killed him, and couldn't help but laugh at the absurd humor.

Was that intentional?

Okay, I thought you were saying they killed him, and couldn't help but laugh at the absurd humor.

Was that intentional?

I hope so, it was freaking funny! :dance:

PS For all our British readers--when we say Papa Bill & Mama Jane were shaggin'-- we are talking about a dance popular on the North & South Carolina coasts. Get your minds out of the gutter! :lol:

Thanks for that! I did pick up that it was a dance, but was very taken aback for a moment :lol:

ETA: I just looked it up on Youtube:

- that is so cool!

Archived