IGNORED

Bringing Up Bates & Other Bates Family Doings

happy atheist

Actually I think it is a little dress to go over the baby swim suit. Or maybe a dress for when she gets older... I know friends of mine who have specifically asked for clothes larger than 6 months... cuz they gets tons of 0-6 months and then at 6 months, the baby is naked. :D

That being said, I'm counting the days until Alyssa posts a pic of herself in a real swim suit so we know she is really going fundie lite. Should we take bets on when? :lol:

she may not post a full pic but this summer she'll be in shorts and normal swimwear. i'd bet she was in at least a tankini on her honeymoon.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I thought you were saying they killed him, and couldn't help but laugh at the absurd humor.

Was that intentional?

I was just trying to say that Grandpa Duggar spoke openly about how he didn't think having 19 kids was a good thing, and since his death, Boob has raked his Dad's memory over the coals. (I had forgotten about his Dad being wheeled out so they could sing Happy Birthday to him ... but yeah, that too.)

I was just trying to say that Grandpa Duggar spoke openly about how he didn't think having 19 kids was a good thing, and since his death, Boob has raked his Dad's memory over the coals. (I had forgotten about his Dad being wheeled out so they could sing Happy Birthday to him ... but yeah, that too.)

No, sssssshhhhhhh, please don`t ruin it! We get it, JimBob`s left hand`s the hospital and his left hand is the cemetery. It`s all true.

Lots of modesty talk when the Bates are at the beach

"Guard your eyes and your future wife will thank you" :roll:

It looks like Alyssa is holding up a normal one-piece baby bathing suit in one photo. I have a feeling there will be no Wholesome Wear suits in that household :D

I think the Bates may do long, long shorts and ts for water 'fun'. Mrs. Keller was shown going to the beach in a perfectly normal, if dated, tank suit. The wholesome wear thing is a Duggar thing. We had a Gothard family in swim class [homeschool] and the daughter wore a normal bathing suit--a tankini a size or so too big for more coverage, but she certainly didn't look like a freak! And the girls version of ALERT [very small attendance!] wears long shorts from the photo I saw at least for certain activities.

Actually I think it is a little dress to go over the baby swim suit. Or maybe a dress for when she gets older... I know friends of mine who have specifically asked for clothes larger than 6 months... cuz they gets tons of 0-6 months and then at 6 months, the baby is naked. :D

That being said, I'm counting the days until Alyssa posts a pic of herself in a real swim suit so we know she is really going fundie lite. Should we take bets on when? :lol:

I'd agree with the garment being a larger size dress, but that littler one might be a sunsuit aka a "bubble". You really can't tell from the picture. My daughters wore tons of sunsuits.

It's very dangerous swimming in jeans and clothes. They are to heavy, hold the water and can pull you down. They can get pulled out by a riptide at the beach.

It's very dangerous swimming in jeans and clothes. They are to heavy, hold the water and can pull you down. They can get pulled out by a riptide at the beach.

You're absolutely right, but these people aren't known for being the sharpest tools in the shed. Better to drown modestly than be safe and defrauding.

What about the fact that it is really freaking unhealthy to wear cold and wet clothes for a long period of time? I peed blood a few times after thinking it's fun to go swimming dressed up (...and drunk) and sitting around in wet clothes for hours?

And the CHAFING! I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable than wet denim.

Alyssa loves her family, but girlfriend is so happy to be away from them. Those middle girls darn well better listen and stay away until they're welcomed after the baby is born. I got so mad when people disregarded my feelings as a new mom. I have a feeling Lurch told Alyssa to blame him so it'd be easy for her to tell them they had to wait a month.

The Lord giveth children, the riptide taketh them away...

And they showed Alyssa in a sleeveless shirt and knee length skirt on the beach - probably a similar outfit she posted at the beach on Instagram a number of months back - and John wears a sleeveless shirt and regular long board shorts. So they were more modest wear than standard, but not even close to wholesomewear. Also, they blurred out the bikini top of an older woman on the beach which was kind of amusing.

Thanks for that! I did pick up that it was a dance, but was very taken aback for a moment :lol:

ETA: I just looked it up on Youtube:

- that is so cool!

Check out Shag Royalty, Charlie & Jackie https://youtu.be/At5hb0xC9Ho

When I was coming up, shag was everywhere in the Lowcountry (coastal areas of SC & GA). Shag contests at the beach were a big deal.

I don't expect the Bates Kids to be perfect BUT thought the Bates girl standing on the Thanksgiving table hanging up decorations and dis-respecting her Grandmother was really pathetic.

If you know something is going to bother your Grandparents and you are at their house, then RESPECT their rules AND when they ask you to get down off the table, then get your ass down off the table !

Further proof that Kelly and Gil are entitled, shitty ass parents and have no respect for anyone...not even Gil's parents.

you know, even great parents have children who sometimes don't think before they do things, or make bad decisions. If you watch that clip again, Carlin admits that she shouldn't have done that, and she could have taken the table cloth off first.

Kids do dumb things sometimes. Teens are not known for thinking through the consequences.

I am not going to nominate Gil and Kelly for parents of the year, but this is not the example to use to prove that they suck.

If you look at that episode, you can see Carlin walking on the table, and conclude they are entitled thoughtless brats, Or you can see kids who helped set up the tables, decorated, pitched in to help cook, made crafts with the younger kids and helped to clean up afterwards. You can also see the whole family sitting together, respectfully enjoying their grandparents doing a sweet little dance. You can see them giving thanks to each other and taking turns to listen to each one. And before they left their aunt and uncles house, you heard Gil, or Kelly, giving the kids instructions to put things back the way they found them.

I don't like their belief system, or their politics, nor do I respect Gil's grifting activities and so on, but I really can't quibble too much on how they have raised the kids. For a huge family, I think the kids are thriving. They value education, the older kids have jobs, and the kids are clearly comfortable around their parents and Kelly and Gil are adjusting to their older kids making changes.

There is a lot to snark on with them to be sure, but the table issue is very minor.

I think asking or expecting your 70+ year old parents to host your ridiculously huge family is selfish. His parents talked about how difficult it was, the kids pretty much acknowledged how loud and disruptive they are.

I would never in a million years expect any relative, including my Mom to accommodate that many people.

Bring an RV or rent hotel rooms & help with the meal if they wish to host dinner.

you know, even great parents have children who sometimes don't think before they do things, or make bad decisions. If you watch that clip again, Carlin admits that she shouldn't have done that, and she could have taken the table cloth off first.

Kids do dumb things sometimes. Teens are not known for thinking through the consequences.

I am not going to nominate Gil and Kelly for parents of the year, but this is not the example to use to prove that they suck.

If you look at that episode, you can see Carlin walking on the table, and conclude they are entitled thoughtless brats, Or you can see kids who helped set up the tables, decorated, pitched in to help cook, made crafts with the younger kids and helped to clean up afterwards. You can also see the whole family sitting together, respectfully enjoying their grandparents doing a sweet little dance. You can see them giving thanks to each other and taking turns to listen to each one. And before they left their aunt and uncles house, you heard Gil, or Kelly, giving the kids instructions to put things back the way they found them.

I don't like their belief system, or their politics, nor do I respect Gil's grifting activities and so on, but I really can't quibble too much on how they have raised the kids. For a huge family, I think the kids are thriving. They value education, the older kids have jobs, and the kids are clearly comfortable around their parents and Kelly and Gil are adjusting to their older kids making changes.

There is a lot to snark on with them to be sure, but the table issue is very minor.

The thing is, people use the Duggar kids doing way less than that as an example of shitty parenting. Gil and Kelly have done no better job parenting than Jim Bob and Michelle but since they appear more personable on camera, people seem to give them more of a pass.

I can quibble a lot with how they raised their kids. They value education as long as it is ATI approved. Their children have jobs that are ATI approved jobs. Their children only marry people who are ATI approved. They raised their oldest son in such a way that he felt guilty for kissing the person he was gong to marry. Thriving is not the word I would use with either the Bates or the Duggars kids. They are learning to deal with being raised in a cult and how that impacts their lives as they grow up. It is very hard to actually thrive in an ATI environment because it isn't created to help children thrive, it is created to hamper and control children well into adulthood. ATI is the opposite of thriving children. And Gil and Kelly are deep into that cult. They may put on a good show, but don't be fooled by it, they are no different than any other fundie parent and judging from Gil's treatment of Gothard, I would say they are probably worse.

The Duggar kids also have to deal with all the baggage that comes with having grown up on reality television. This isn't a popular opinion around here, but I think that the Duggar kids are just as comfortable around their parents as the Bates kids, they are just less comfortable in front of a camera so it appears that they aren't, but I imagine things are different when the cameras are not around.

I'd agree with the garment being a larger size dress, but that littler one might be a sunsuit aka a "bubble". You really can't tell from the picture. My daughters wore tons of sunsuits.

Why would Alyssa "go fundie lite" when her husband and family are hardcore?

And the CHAFING! I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable than wet denim.

Alyssa loves her family, but girlfriend is so happy to be away from them. Those middle girls darn well better listen and stay away until they're welcomed after the baby is born. I got so mad when people disregarded my feelings as a new mom. I have a feeling Lurch told Alyssa to blame him so it'd be easy for her to tell them they had to wait a month.

Hey! Lurch is already taken by David Rodrigues!

Why would Alyssa "go fundie lite" when her husband and family are hardcore?

The Webster family isn't hardcore when it comes to clothing.

I honestly didn't know where to post this, so I'm thinking this may be the best place. I just watched episode 110 of "Bringing Up Bates". While I realize they are of the same religious/ideiology as the Duggars, I was a bit confused as to why they, (which I'm sure the Dugger's do as well) swim in the sea with clothing. Is this a strictly fundie practice?

Swimming with clothing is just so wrong on so many levels. First, any clothing would get really heavy and could be dangerous. Secondly, they were visiting Alyssa. Alyssa seems to have taken a step back from extreme fundalism( is that a word?). Her husband had swim trunks on, and did have a sleeveless t, which leads me to believe than when the family is away, they go to the beach and Alyssa wears a bathing suit. However, since Alyssa has very strict rules about how her home runs, I would think the poor girl would freak out when all the Bateses return to her home with heavy, wet, sandy clothing AND underwear only to have her do a gazillion loads of wash? Isn't that kind of selfish behavior on the rest of the family's part? I'm guessing there are no fundamentalists on any sort of swim teams because they wouldn't wear swim team bathing suits and the heaviness of the clothing would make for a losing team!

It's so bizarre--because I genuinely like the Bates family a lot. A lot! They just don't seem as self-righteous, judgmental or narcissistic as the Uggars , but I'm a bit disappointed in this "swimming with clothing" thing. Just curious! :wtf:

My honest opinion is "it depends whether or not TLC is there with the cameras". :mrgreen: :lol: :o

I don't think they break out the bikinis but I think when there are no cameras their behaviour is much different or Alyssa wouldn't have flipped the switch so quickly once she was married.

* edited because I was one finger typing on my iPad and it decided to be "helpful" with auto-correct. I HATE AUTO CORRECT!

Whitney also said she say watched the movie Dolphin Tale before going to see the real dolphin at the aquarium (I always knew she had a wild streak)

The Webster family isn't hardcore when it comes to clothing.

I know, but they are about JAYSUS!

John's dad is a nutjob.

Archived