IGNORED

TTC

ElphabaGalinda

That is a thing of disgusting beauty! Right now my cat is trying to get at it through the monitor; high praise indeed The spam leaves are killing me: Genius!

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked how the classy aluminum pan gives it sort-of that ballroom effect -- mirrors and all. It truly was captivating. BTW, it's very hard to write with a ketchup bottle on top of bumpy tots. Should have used a pastry bag.

I liked how the classy aluminum pan gives it sort-of that ballroom effect -- mirrors and all. It truly was captivating. BTW, it's very hard to write with a ketchup bottle on top of bumpy tots.

That is truly a dish fit to set before a Fundie King. If you have a headship, was he pleased? If not, was your father filled with pride at your mad homemaking skillz?

It's a "K"! I was going to write my whole name but aiming with a ketchup bottle is harder than it should be.

My headship is currently divorcing me and my father is on marriage #5, so I'm afraid my homemaking skillz weren't appreciated as much as they could have been.

But that's why I have you guys! :)

It looks like it's been injured.

A good side dish might be the Zsu's hash brown casserole.

Potatoes for everyone!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!! (where's Rebecca K!!!!!! from the Maxwell blog when you need her? I'll bet SHE'S had her fair share of this delicate dish!).

Something I didn't notice before: the fat in the spam glistens and makes the leaves sparkly! So festive!

BTW, I dare one of you ladies to take this to a holiday potluck. LOL!

Something I didn't notice before: the fat in the spam glistens and makes the leaves sparkly! So festive!

BTW, I dare one of you ladies to take this to a holiday potluck. LOL!

I'm going to make a Christmas card from the photo. The colors.....you know....Christmassy.

OMG!! It is even more disgusting looking than I imagined. Awesome job! The maple leaf Spam is truly a wonder to behold. This makes me want to have a White Trash themed Thanksgiving.

That is really gross looking. What's the green stuff below the tater tots? The maple leaves are really cute, but spam sqicks me out.

That is really gross looking. What's the green stuff below the tater tots? The maple leaves are really cute, but spam sqicks me out.

I think the green stuff is celery. You know, as a nod to good health and all.

ChunkyBarbie wins the prize -- the green stuff IS celery! I did have to hand chop it (and there's some onion in there, too).

The beauty of this dish is that I used the generic brand of spam -- Kroger's "Luncheon Loaf" -- it was cheaper! The first ingredient on the label was (wait for it) "mechanically separated chicken". Now if THAT doesn't make your mouth water...

And I have been to a White Trash-themed party, and it was so much fun! I wore a tube top as a skirt and made my own roach clip to wear in my hair (because I couldn't find one to buy!). Yep, I'm that kind of girl! :)

May I be the one who says it still is respectless to play with food, even if it is yucky food?

Huh?

YUCK.

May I be the one who says it still is respectless to play with food, even if it is yucky food?

Yes, I realize there are starving people and animals all over the world, but this is a tradition in my family once a year and it's funny and snarkable. Which is why we are all here.

My husband would be all over that. Really. He LOVES tatertot casserole. Loves it. I won't touch the nasty stuff. He also loves hashbrown casserole. He is so wrong. I bet he's a fundy at heart.

Okay, let me rephrase it.

To make a dish for the sole purpose that no one is gonna eat it?

I believe in the original discussion it was said that it had to be something that children might eat?

Okay, let me rephrase it.

To make a dish for the sole purpose that no one is gonna eat it?

So what? People do it all the time- butter sculptures, gingerbread houses, sugar eggs, ect.

It's the absurdity of taking something to Thanksgiving dinner that is completely "out there" but edible. It's funny to us. TTC is edible.

I was introduced to TTC many years ago when I had a roommate from Iowa. He was an adequate cook but one of the things that was on his regular rotation was TTC. His mom had made it for him as a child and he continued the tradition. He made it with the traditional Tots, hamburger and cream mushroom soup. I will say that it got eaten especially after a night out, the guys would come home and chow down on it. I was never a huge fan but ate it once or twice when it was straight out of the oven. I do believe it is kind of a Midwest tradition.

Yes. I'm dying to know. I copied the picture and posted it to my FB to share. It was so beautiful, a work of art. As for playing with food, my ex was a food photographer for the San Francisco Chronicle. A lot of food goes to waste that way. Anyway, a lot of my family is from overseas so I labeled the photo, "Classic American Cooking".

Archived