IGNORED

Jinger courting?

Kelsey

I grew up in a Southern Baptist church. I still consider myself Southern Baptist, but do not regularly attend church now. I don't know if my experience is different due to the fact that I did not grow up in the deep South, but a lot of what is being said about what Southern Baptists believe is news to me. My church never encouraged young marriage or for woman not to work. My parents also both grew up Southern Baptists and there was never any question as I was growing up that I would go to college and have a career. I never saw or heard any pressure from anyone to enter a "traditionally female" career either. I'm now a lawyer. There was also no encouragement for women to submit to men. I never learned anything but that women were equal to men. I can assure you there's not a submissive bone in my mom's, sister's or my body. My husband also grew up in different a Southern Baptist church in a different state and he didn't experience any of this stuff either.

The only things I remember being a little bit different from other Christian denominations is that my parents wouldn't buy wine or alcohol at the grocery store until they made a sweep through to make sure none of our other church members were there. I remember the youth group put on a skit once that included a joke about Southern Baptist people not being allowed to dance, but it was JUST a joke to the church -- there certainly weren't any requirements or rules against that. I was also heavily taught to wait to have sex until marriage, but I don't think that's much different from most Christian denominations.

I just want to be clear that I never said those things about SBC. Young marriage is not encouraged but going to college is pushed. Women are expected to go to college but when kids come the husband is expected to be the main breadwinner and the wife's job/career to center more around family, hence the large number of public school teachers.

Wifely submission is not pushed in terms of headship. SAHM are great, the best choice but well, for instance.. I went back to visit the SBC church I grew up in. I was present on a Sunday night when kids who were graduating or something got up to talk about their goals in life. Maybe they had just come back from camp. These were kids who were jr/sr high schoolers and the children of my schoolmates, a lot of them.

If there were 10 girls, every girl said she was going to pursue a career that was education intensive and something you generally don't dabble at, like doctor. Only one girl got up and said she wanted to be a wife and mother and not have to work outside the home.

It is now 10 years later, it would be interesting to see how their lives have turned out. But the point here is that sort of thing would never fly in ATI-type circles. Generally, SBC is too worldly and too lax, which is still what makes me suspicious of SBC missionary Derick Dillard reaching out to JB as a prayer partner for his missions work.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tim Tebow chosen as one of people magazine's sexiest men alive. In the article he describes what he finds sexy in a woman....sure sounds like Jana. Maybe his mom was sent to the TTH to do some research on his behalf. :wink-penguin:

http://www.people.com/people/package/ar ... 94,00.html

Yeah I don't think he's gonna be hurting for money. Still can't see this guy kowtowing to JimBob or TLC in any way.

His foundation built a 5 story hospital in the Phillipines, among other things. Jana could actually get on board of doing some real good in the world.

Hope Tim comes to understand exactly how the J'Slaves function and what they've given up and missed in order to SAHD their parent's children.

Out of all the kids from Josh down to Joseph, the only 2 that I could have imagined (and could imagine) enjoying the limelight and attention involved in starting a relationship and continuing it through to a marriage, Duggar style, are Josh and Jill- the rest just seem to exude the personalities that would want no part of that dog and pony show. It will be interesting to see what next season is like. Will it be the season of Jessa or will it be the wedding, some of the honeymoon and a peppering of Jill and others?

I cannot imagine any of the remaining kids in publicly filmed and aired relationships, how painful for those kids. Can you imagine Jana, Jinger, JD or Joseph having a season all about them? Holy crap, how hard what that be to watch?

Out of all the kids from Josh down to Joseph, the only 2 that I could have imagined (and could imagine) enjoying the limelight and attention involved in starting a relationship and continuing it through to a marriage, Duggar style, are Josh and Jill- the rest just seem to exude the personalities that would want no part of that dog and pony show. It will be interesting to see what next season is like. Will it be the season of Jessa or will it be the wedding, some of the honeymoon and a peppering of Jill and others?

I cannot imagine any of the remaining kids in publicly filmed and aired relationships, how painful for those kids. Can you imagine Jana, Jinger, JD or Joseph having a season all about them? Holy crap, how hard what that be to watch?

Next Season:

Jessa/Bin wedding and honeymoon [though please without the endless recaps and promos for whats coming up in two minutes]

Jill's Perfect Pregnancy with a Pinteresty Baby Shower

Bin turning to J/B for wisdom on being a "provider" and will start a business and they will be shown pretending to work together and live "within their means" i.e. on his fake profit.

Jill gushing to Michelle about Mommy stuff and Michelle gushing about the Season of Life

Josh an Anna will be in Arkansas for Jill's delivery and Anna will be so "wise" but Jill wouldn't have made it without her mother's precious wisdom

The middle boys will debut their probable San Antonio Film Festival piece

JimBob will be horny

The little girls will go to the dentist.

Someone will say "Buy Used, Save the Difference," Precious, "Sweet, sweet" and "Season of Life" each episode

Jana and John David will go spouse shopping on another mission trip

Something repulsive and gross will be shown.

Kids old enough to know way better will pick their noses and chew with their mouths open.

Mikey will get a hearing test to see if that's why he can only scream.

Josie will blow kisses.

Josiah will still be in the gulag

I'd take Ben Seewald, Jessa seems like she's got him wrapped around her finger. Young and malleable, easy to bend to your will LOL.

Found the episode where the Duggars were said to be SBC BUT did not attend an SBC church. It is at 3:10.

However, I know there is a later episode where Michelle says that they are IFB. Guess they changed their minds in there somewhere.

Cross Church is where Jill and Derick were married, as were Jchelle. It is an SBC church. This where Michelle got saved and JimB visited her on visitation.

They later left the SBC when they got involved with ATI. SBC is not strict enough for that kind of fundie.

Cross Church is where Jill and Derick were married, as were Jchelle. It is an SBC church. This where Michelle got saved and JimB visited her on visitation.

They later left the SBC when they got involved with ATI. SBC is not strict enough for that kind of fundie.

Isn't Cross Church where Jill and Derick are currently going to church as well?

Isn't Cross Church where Jill and Derick are currently going to church as well?

No, they just got married there. One of the fake wedding prep episodes was Jill, Derrick and J'Chelle trying to decide on the venue Goldilocks style.... This one's too small, This ones too big, This ones too fancy, this ones JUUUUSt right (where boob and j'chelle got married coincidentally :roll: )

No, they just got married there. One of the fake wedding prep episodes was Jill, Derrick and J'Chelle trying to decide on the venue Goldilocks style.... This one's too small, This ones too big, This ones too fancy, this ones JUUUUSt right (where boob and j'chelle got married coincidentally :roll: )

I knew they weren't attending the church of Duggar but a mainstream one. I had hoped that it was the one where they had gotten married.

I knew they weren't attending the church of Duggar but a mainstream one. I had hoped that it was the one where they had gotten married.

I actually hope they seek out a new church. One that accepts them as Ben and Jessa, a new married couple, not just one of the Duggar girls. I really want them to have their own identity.

Yeah I don't think he's gonna be hurting for money. Still can't see this guy kowtowing to JimBob or TLC in any way.

His foundation built a 5 story hospital in the Phillipines, among other things. Jana could actually get on board of doing some real good in the world.

Hope Tim comes to understand exactly how the J'Slaves function and what they've given up and missed in order to SAHD their parent's children.

after all the Tebow speculation, had to bust out laughing at the final seconds of this video (the guy holds up a Tim Tebow poster)

[bBvideo 560,340:1fm6g1gr]

[/bBvideo]

I'd take Ben Seewald, Jessa seems like she's got him wrapped around her finger. Young and malleable, easy to bend to your will LOL.

Who says beautiful Jana couldn't get Tebow wrapped around her finger ;)

Who says beautiful Jana couldn't get Tebow wrapped around her finger ;)

And not in a malicious or underhanded way

There's a church out there that's too big for their crowd? :think:

There's a church out there that's too big for their crowd? :think:

Actually no, they were either too small or too fancy. :mrgreen:

That's interesting that Southern Baptists are the second largest denomination in the U.S. I had NO idea.

So are they like the default church in the south?

That's interesting that Southern Baptists are the second largest denomination in the U.S. I had NO idea.

So are they like the default church in the south?

There's a lot of variation among Southern Baptist churches in my experience. A lot of it is regional, but even within the same cities they can differ quite a bit from church to church. I went to everything from churches with huge populations of fundies and homeschoolers to rather "moderate" churches (women in pants! at church!), but all of them were definitely still anti-premarital sex, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage etc...all the big ticket political items matched. Whereas I think if you go to, say, Presbyterian or Methodist churches, there's more wiggle room on the hot topic issues.

I think in some parts of the south, Southern Baptist makes up almost the entire population. In other areas, there will be a lot of Pentecostals, Seventh Day Adventists etc. mixed in, plus some scattered more "progressive" churches, and the nondenominationals, of course.

after all the Tebow speculation, had to bust out laughing at the final seconds of this video (the guy holds up a Tim Tebow poster)

[bBvideo 560,340:1i6u0di2]

[/bBvideo]

this is brilliant, far too much of this going on by my friends (and maybe even me once upon a time :shifty: )

Also the thing about Southern Baptists is that they are usually white (not always) but usually most Black Baptists go to a regular Baptist or Missionary Baptist (I don't know the difference since I am Episcopalian). Many churches in the South are de facto segregated by race as well. So even if 85% of the South is Baptist they can go to different types of Baptist churches.

Archived