IGNORED

The Bates on GMA....and a special tonight.

notsocommon

I just finished watching. I was annoyed. It's one thing to ask your child to pick up the groceries with your money, it's another to expect him to pay for it. It also irked me that Gil was wearing the shirt that was so supposed to be for Zac. Gil isn't a parent. He's a mooch who mooches off his own kids. Don't even get me started on the fact that they made the reporter wear certain clothes for swimming.

I also raised an eyebrow over that tiny little pool space that the kids were trying to swim in. You could tell that the small pool was connected to a larger indoor pool, but they had all 20+ of them crammed into that little space. Obviously they couldn't risk being defrauded by going into the larger one...there might be people swimming in swmisuits in a swimming pool, go figure :roll:

I also think it kind of sucked for Lawson that he got stuck making the call on what would be appropriate for the reporter to wear. You could tell he was trying to be honest about what his parents would consider appropriate, but he didn't want to be in a position of dictating what a random non-relative could wear in her own hotel.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I find them so hard to watch is that they seem so much more likable then the Duggars. It's the same beliefs but the packaging is prettier IYKWIM. They make my head spin.

Ugh, I am watching right now and I just saw the science lesson. I hope to god they don't actually have their older children sit on on lessons geared for younger elementary school students and it was just for the cameras. But who knows.

Ugh, I am watching right now and I just saw the science lesson. I hope to god they don't actually have their older children sit on on lessons geared for younger elementary school students and it was just for the cameras. But who knows.

Their science lesson is the same for every age level. God made the Earth and all animals 6,000 years ago, and anyone who tries to tell you different is evil.

Worse than that, I don't think they actually learned any science. Granted, we didn't see the entire lesson, but she started off with the "experiment" with the matches, and the last thing we see her say is that the matches are just a metaphor for your anger. Of course, she didn't use the word metaphor, but the only thing the kids were supposed to get from the lesson was that they shouldn't let their anger cause a "chain reaction" that will make bad things happen. It looked like the kind of demo my mom would do when she had to do the 5-minute "children's church" segment at the church I grew up in. And that's their science class? :doh: I really hope the whole thing was meant to be a demo for the cameras.

I thought I set my DVR to tape the show, but when I looked last night it wasn't there. Oh well, after reading all these comments, I'm glad I didn't waste my time on this. If Lawson is buying groceries for this bunch and spending his hard-earned money to help his family, I'm glad I didn't see it because it would have pissed me off righteously. I hate the way these fundie dads have all these reasons why they can't hold a job like every other dad - the Lord "laid it on my heart" that the workplace was evil; they wanted me to do stuff that was against my principles, blah blah blah. Just a handy excuse to not have to get off your lazy butt and GO TO WORK! Getting yourself a reality show where you can show off your exceptional Christianity is a better idea than actually working for a living to support your own giant family. These people make me sick.

When Zach was getting ready to head outside with his (rather beautiful) bouquet of flowers, it irritated the heck out of me the way one of the girls gleefully said, "She's scared to death!!!". There's something wrong when the intended is 'scared to death', and the other observers are thoroughly enjoying that fact.

Privacy, dignity anyone??

When Zach was getting ready to head outside with his (rather beautiful) bouquet of flowers, it irritated the heck out of me the way one of the girls gleefully said, "She's scared to death!!!". There's something wrong when the intended is 'scared to death', and the other observers are thoroughly enjoying that fact.

I cringed through that whole part mainly because of the lack of privacy and that fact that a camera was around.

I cringed through that whole part mainly because of the lack of privacy and that fact that a camera was around.

Was that a re-do for the cameras?? In the Bates' blog (gilbatesfamily.com/blog/page/2/), she's first in a black T-shirt, and then she's in a dressy outfit that looks like the same outfit she was wearing on camera. She just didn't seem all that surprised on the GMA special. She had a "Why, thank you..." attitude as opposed to a surprised "Thank you!".

That was truly horrible. Imagine a whole production to say "I'm interested in you". Ugghh :roll: At least Josh started courting Anna off camera.

I felt sorry for Sarah having so many people taking so much joy in her mortification. She seemed very gracious and nice, but I have a feeling inside she was like "WTF?" It would have been nice to give them a little privacy.

I still think that part of the appeal of the Reiths for Zack is the fact that they are a well known bluegrass band. I can totally see him jumping on that bandwagon. A fundy wife does not go on tour without her hubby tagging along and if said husband can join her onstage, well so much the better! :roll:

ETA: He has already been on tour with them for 3 weeks according to a Kelly post. Looks like the Duggars aren't the only famewhores.

That was truly horrible. Imagine a whole production to say "I'm interested in you". Ugghh :roll: At least Josh started courting Anna off camera.

Only because that was before TLC picked them up as a series?

Was that a re-do for the cameras?? In the Bates' blog (gilbatesfamily.com/blog/page/2/), she's first in a black T-shirt, and then she's in a dressy outfit that looks like the same outfit she was wearing on camera. She just didn't seem all that surprised on the GMA special. She had a "Why, thank you..." attitude as opposed to a surprised "Thank you!".

They showed her in the black tee as he walked out and said something intelligible. Then they quickly switched to them after she changed her top (I think she still had on the denim skirt, but I haven't seen the pics in a while). At any rate, they did show her in both outfits, not to mention Alyssa in the background of ABC's camera, taking her own pictures.

As far as privacy and dignity, the Bateses are totally enjoying their newfound fame. Gil is now in huge demand as a guest "preacher" and as we all know, they've been speaking the Gothard homeschool indoctrination events for a couple of years, coinciding with their first appearances on the Duggars' show.

Boob paid it forward to Gil Bates. I wonder if Gil will return the favor, or pay it forward to another family? Eh, with what we've seen recently, including wearing that shirt meant for Zack (I thought I was the only one who caught that), I sincerely doubt it. The buck stops with him. Or Lawson, really.

They showed her in the black tee as he walked out and said something intelligible. Then they quickly switched to them after she changed her top (I think she still had on the denim skirt, but I haven't seen the pics in a while). At any rate, they did show her in both outfits, not to mention Alyssa in the background of ABC's camera, taking her own pictures.

As far as privacy and dignity, the Bateses are totally enjoying their newfound fame. Gil is now in huge demand as a guest "preacher" and as we all know, they've been speaking the Gothard homeschool indoctrination events for a couple of years, coinciding with their first appearances on the Duggars' show.

Boob paid it forward to Gil Bates. I wonder if Gil will return the favor, or pay it forward to another family? Eh, with what we've seen recently, including wearing that shirt meant for Zack (I thought I was the only one who caught that), I sincerely doubt it. The buck stops with him. Or Lawson, really.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I'm curious. Can anyone be a preacher in Gothard/ATI circles? Do you have to go through some kind of training or course?

Edit: By anyone, I mean any man.

Only because that was before TLC picked them up as a series?

Probably, but either way at least it wasn't on film.

After watch the Bates clusterfuck all I can say is, "Free Lawson."

Oh, and were those Doritos I saw on the kitchen counter? Hmm, store brand chips are cheaper.

Probably, but either way at least it wasn't on film.

Yeah, which is going to make it interesting when Jana or John David goes a courtin' in a few years. Or now. Anna Keller also, at least when she first started on the show, didn't really seem to like being on tv. She seemed more of a private person who might not enjoy being in the spot light so much. I'm only on season 2 though, and watched a more recent episode, and she seems more confident now.

Guest LilaFowler

I wish the Bateses would do a reality series. It would at least stop them from having to borrow money from their children. I know some people like the fact that they don't have a reality show, but I'm a reality show whore, dammit. Also a fundie whore. I want more. :lol: Besides, we all know the Duggar show getting long in the tooth. I want to learn more and more about the Bateses.

Guest LilaFowler
I hate watching Kelly talk. Her mouth is weird and mushy.

I see what you mean. I actually like watching her talk more than Michelle thouigh, because she seems more genuine. Michelle seems like a fundie bot.

I can handle Kelly talk over Michelle anyday. Kelly doesn't talk to us in a babyish voice like how Michelle does while using simpler words. Michelle, most of your viewers are not children, so the baby talk doesn't need to happen.

I really hope when Zach proposes to Sarah, her dad isn't there to put the ring on her finger. I know some fundies are really strict with the whole "no touching" rule that sometimes the father puts the ring on his daughter. Um, awkward. When I was reading some of Kelly's replies on the website, she said something about Sarah and Zach in talks about creating their own (of just two of them) after marriage. Wow, Sarah will actually work?! I hope that does happen because it would be pretty sweet and I don't want to hear a "God told her that she should serve her husband and be a stay at home wife instead".

Maybe this is a stupid question but I'm curious. Can anyone be a preacher in Gothard/ATI circles? Do you have to go through some kind of training or course?

Edit: By anyone, I mean any man.

How when even the leaders have no training.

Well, that's what I wanted to know. Does anyone have any kind of training or is it of the Bob Jones, Oral Roberts variety? Are the "leaders" just guys who sit around and think of starting a church on their batshit ideas and so they do?

I can handle Kelly talk over Michelle anyday. Kelly doesn't talk to us in a babyish voice like how Michelle does while using simpler words. Michelle, most of your viewers are not children, so the baby talk doesn't need to happen.

I really hope when Zach proposes to Sarah, her dad isn't there to put the ring on her finger. I know some fundies are really strict with the whole "no touching" rule that sometimes the father puts the ring on his daughter. Um, awkward. When I was reading some of Kelly's replies on the website, she said something about Sarah and Zach in talks about creating their own (of just two of them) after marriage. Wow, Sarah will actually work?! I hope that does happen because it would be pretty sweet and I don't want to hear a "God told her that she should serve her husband and be a stay at home wife instead".

I feel the same way too. The way Michelle irritates me more than the way Kelly talks.

After they (AGAIN) showed that scene fro, Anna's and Jos's wedding...at LEAST they don't dress alike anymore!!!

How yould you feel when you're 18or 16 and dressing like your toddler sisters???

Archived