IGNORED

The Bates on GMA....and a special tonight.

notsocommon

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think it's interesting how willingly Kelly and Gil admit that they are actively trying to have as many children as possible.

Well, it's over. It was 95% puff piece, as expected.

Homeschoolmomma1, Since the previews showed the Duggars (on the bus and at the ATI camp), and because the Bateses are only famous because of the Duggars, I just went ahead and posted my thoughts and some links on the Duggar thread.

It's easy to tie stuff in so TWiT Howard doesn't delete the posts and ban us. :D

Homeschoolmomma1, Since the previews showed the Duggars (on the bus and at the ATI camp), and because the Bateses are only famous because of the Duggars, I just went ahead and posted my thoughts and some links on the Duggar thread.

It's easy to tie stuff in so TWiT Howard doesn't delete the posts and ban us. :D

Ahhh I was wondering :)

When Cynthia McFadden said "18 kids and so little whining!" I thought she said "18 kids and so little wine!"

My thoughts exactly!!

When Cynthia McFadden said "18 kids and so little whining!" I thought she said "18 kids and so little wine!"

My thoughts exactly!!

interesting since staying up to watch this caused me to have an extra glass of wine tonight! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

interesting since staying up to watch this caused me to have an extra glass of wine tonight! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I'm sure the Bates would be thrilled :D

Shopping without coupons!!! Shame shame Lawson!

I laughed at how Lawson bragged about knowing the previous prices of certain items. I also wondered why he wasn't couponing.

I hated how the Bateses guilted the reporter into wearing a "modest swimsuit". I like that this reporter asked some tough questions and some of Gil's answers weren't too good.

Just finished watching it and feeling like I wanna gag. Whatever happend to investigative reporting? Did that reporter look into the real joys of being ATI/Gothard/QF at all? Was she given a tour of the prayer closet? Did they tell her about blanket training? Someone else just had a thread about the mainstream media acting totaly ignorant about the dangers of patriarchy, ect, crap like this just confirms it.

Just finished watching it and feeling like I wanna gag. Whatever happend to investigative reporting? Did that reporter look into the real joys of being ATI/Gothard/QF at all? Was she given a tour of the prayer closet? Did they tell her about blanket training? Someone else just had a thread about the mainstream media acting totaly ignorant about the dangers of patriarchy, ect, crap like this just confirms it.

That's typical of the mainstream media, regardless of what story they're covering.

Gil and Kelly probably hid stuff from her about the prayer closet and blanket training. But I hope she found out the dark side of ATI and Gothard. I give her credit for asking some tough questions and I think some viewers probably saw through the BS that Gil and Kelly were pushing. I rolled my eyes when Gil was trying to make a deal at the hotel and also Gil didn't look too good in a way when it was mentioned Lawson paid for the groceries.

Judson is so cute though! What was with that "Who wouldn't want to be part of this family?" question the reporter asked. I wouldn't want to be a part of their family. No mention of Gothard, ATI, Wisdom Booklets, and ALERT was only apparent because of the word on the rappeling tower. ABC so glossed over everything and gave the viewers the idea that this family was just sooooo fabulous! No mention of their old home and the amount of love offerings they've received from others.

An email to Cynthia McFadden containing links to the IBLP website and the Recovering Grace site might be in order. I'd do it, but I have to crash soon and with school starting tomorrow will only be on here sporadically, at best.

It was on ABC, their Primetime show (never seen it, sounds like a 20/20 clone). You might want to try their website tomorrow, or possibly Hulu.

Is this special on TLC? I think I missed it by now... Any chance that I could catch it again?

Go on ABC.com and search datelie nightline it is the beyond belief specials

My heart broke seeing the kids so terrified when traveling and the tornados happened. I was remembering when that happened to us at the county fair and trying to keep my kids calm and stay calm myself while being pregnant.... I just wanted to scoop Jackson up and tell him that he will be ok. Thanks to that, my infected eye got worse with all the crying and rubbing from that scene.

Lawson seems to speak very well now. I thought it was him that had a serious speech problem but I must have been wrong. :doh: But damn, that boy is defrauding with his cuteness, maturity, hard working and a steady job. He will make an awesome catch to some fundy girl.

Was it Tori with all the curls? Whoever it was would look a lot cuter with a bit looser curl.

I think Alyssa is the one with the curly hair and looking at pictures of her over the years, I think it's natural. Tori's hair is stick straight like many of the younger girls. Interesting how the older 3 girls all got Kelly's hair while the younger ones have straight hair.

Seriously?! The Bateses wouldn't even be able to afford to feed the family if not for their son's hard work and ample savings?! Gil can spare us all the bullshit. Going from Lawson buying the groceries and Kelly gushing about how he lends them money to Gil, all puffed up, proudly declaring that they don't accept government hand-outs was a joke. Maybe if you bit the bullet and accepted some assistance (while CLOSING DOWN THE BABY FACTORY), you wouldn't look like a jackass who can't support your family. But that's exactly what Gil is. People who continue to pop out baby after baby with no way to support them suck, regardless of whether you're riding on the government's back or your teenage son's.

No, stupid reporter lady, I would not love to be a member of that family, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I was not born into patriarchy and/or a QF lifestyle.

ETA- And OMG, those poor girls. They don't even realize that wishing a twin pregnancy on their mother at this stage of life and all that she's been through is akin to wishing a serious threat to her health and possible death on her. They just have no clue. God will provide, after all.

I had to comment on their puff piece on ABC's website. Reading "what a great family" comments drives me crazy. As far as I'm concerned the Bates are just as whackadoodles as the Duggars. They are scary.

Archived