IGNORED

The Bates on GMA....and a special tonight.

notsocommon

Sorry to keep on posting here, but I'm still watching.

How's Erin gonna pay Logan back without a job or the slightest possiblity of getting one?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the Bateses would do a reality series. It would at least stop them from having to borrow money from their children. I know some people like the fact that they don't have a reality show, but I'm a reality show whore, dammit. Also a fundie whore. I want more. :lol: Besides, we all know the Duggar show getting long in the tooth. I want to learn more and more about the Bateses.

How would a Bates show be any different than the Duggar show? It would be the exact same things but minus a matchy name theme.

How would a Bates show be any different than the Duggar show? It would be the exact same things but minus a matchy name theme.

Exactly. Plus, the Bates (read: Gil) mentioned a few times they supposedly weren't interested in a reality show of their own.

I have also heard that Gil and Kelly don't want to do a reality show. I think if the Bates family had a reality show, they would probably get more hate than the Duggars mainly because the details about Kelly get free prental care from a clinic, the family not having insurance and borrowing money from Lawson is a lot to turn people off. I think a lot of people tolerate the Duggars or think they are ok because the family is insured and Jim Bob has multiple businesses and real estate investments to help support family in addition to the TLC gravy train. The Duggars will be ok financially once their show ends. If the Bateses had a show and then it ended they wouldn't be too ok.

I just finished watching. I was annoyed. It's one thing to ask your child to pick up the groceries with your money, it's another to expect him to pay for it. It also irked me that Gil was wearing the shirt that was so supposed to be for Zac. Gil isn't a parent. He's a mooch who mooches off his own kids. Don't even get me started on the fact that they made the reporter wear certain clothes for swimming.

So I wasn't just seeing things!

Wait, what? When did Gil wear a shirt meant for Zac? And why?

The host of the episode went shopping with some of the younger kids at a thrift store, to find gifts for the family. They're shown pulling out a polo shirt (striped), and the kids convince the reporter it would be good for Zach. Then in a few scenes later it's Gil wearing it as he plays with the kids.

Well, that's what I wanted to know. Does anyone have any kind of training or is it of the Bob Jones, Oral Roberts variety? Are the "leaders" just guys who sit around and think of starting a church on their batshit ideas and so they do?

Apparently, any headship not happy with his IFB chruch can start his own. Boob owns the house for his groups' homechurch, and IIRC, the headships rotate the preachin' duties. So I guess the only prerequisites are that you follow Gothard and a headship figure.

Gil and Kelly Bates did attend two Christian colleges (they transferred from one in SC where they grew up - one of them a preacher's kid - and moved on to a college in TN...all the info is on their blog). So Gil has more formal theological training than most of these knuckleheads, Pissing Preacher included, have. I don't know whether the college Gil and Kelly attended was a real college or a place to send blessings to keep them busy before they shack up, like the place Erin goes.

I'm skeered to listen to the PP and can't imagine the drivel that emits forth from Boob's mouth on Sundays that the congregation, especially vulnerable children, have to assume is Gospel.

The host of the episode went shopping with some of the younger kids at a thrift store, to find gifts for the family. They're shown pulling out a polo shirt (striped), and the kids convince the reporter it would be good for Zach. Then in a few scenes later it's Gil wearing it as he plays with the kids.

Maybe Zac pulled a heck no, I'm not wearing that ugly old thing, and Gil said he would? This happens in our house all the time, I buy something for someone who in turn either hates it or it is the wrong size and some other male in the house wants it.

Gil and Kelly attended Anderson College (now Anderson University) when it was still a junior college. Then they transferred to Carson-Newman College in east Tennessee. Both are fully accredited college affiliated with their state's Southern Baptist Convention.

Maybe Zac pulled a heck no, I'm not wearing that ugly old thing, and Gil said he would? This happens in our house all the time, I buy something for someone who in turn either hates it or it is the wrong size and some other male in the house wants it.

Maybe it didn't fit Zach. His face is much fuller than Gil's, and Gil looks reasonably in shape for a man of his age whereas Zach looks heavy for such a young man.

I thought it was a little strange that they were buying clothes as gifts for the rest of the family anyway. They have a family closet in their house and everything is hand-me-down. Your clothes are only yours as long as they fit you, then they become someone else's. I guess it's a little less of an issue once you reach adulthood and quit growing so much, but I can't imagine any of them feel a particular attachment to any piece of clothing.

I noticed the shirt on Gil too, but I thought maybe they had found something else for Zach and decided to give the shirt to Gil instead. Or maybe they were just buying clothes for the family in general and commented on the orange shirt for Zach because they thought it would look good on him.

Is it just me or was the "house cleaning" song the girls were singing at the ATI camp just a tad bit creepy? It's like Gothard is reinforcing old school gender roles about men working and women staying at home via songs. It's sad to think that at such a young age, the girls are trained into thinking that they're put on this earth to cook, clean, serve the husband, and raise children. We've come so far in history in giving women freedom to work outside the home and be more independent but Gothard refuses that and teaches them they should just cook and clean.

Disturbing beyond anything.

Gil and Kelly attended Anderson College (now Anderson University) when it was still a junior college. Then they transferred to Carson-Newman College in east Tennessee. Both are fully accredited college affiliated with their state's Southern Baptist Convention.

Both are "real" colleges, though conservative, accredited by the Southern Association, although CN has been placed on "Warning." I didn't care enough to delve into the reasons.

Gil and Kelly are denying their children the education they themselves received.

Is it just me or was the "house cleaning" song the girls were singing at the ATI camp just a tad bit creepy? It's like Gothard is reinforcing old school gender roles about men working and women staying at home via songs. It's sad to think that at such a young age, the girls are trained into thinking that they're put on this earth to cook, clean, serve the husband, and raise children. We've come so far in history in giving women freedom to work outside the home and be more independent but Gothard refuses that and teaches them they should just cook and clean.

It's not just you. How massively disgusting that the girls were doing that while the boys were having fun outside.

Watched the Nightline special.

Why the hell does it seem like every fundy woman has the same hairdo?

I don't follow their blogs or anything, but Gil and Kelly definitely seem more involved than JimBoob and Michelle. Yeah they have that buddy system the Duggars do, but at least from what I've seen already (just got to the first ad break) the sisters aren't the ones raising the kids.

On the other hand, Judson's face being purple/gray after birth worries me greatly. It makes me wonder if these folks aren't hiding serious problems with their kids in order to save face, even minor problems like learning disabilities, to very serious problems like cancer or something.

I haven't gotten to the ATI part yet, but WTF. I bet the girls even thought that was total bullshit.

I don't know that they are that much more involved with their kids. I think it's easy to shine next to the Duggars (although, at least the Duggars don't require their children to work to feed the rest of the family.) as far as child interaction goes. But I think the eldest girl supposedly does most of the homeschooling when the cameras aren't around and they make prodigious use of the buddy system. My guess is that if you had cameras on the Bates 24/7 they would come off almost exactly like the Duggars.

Guest Anonymous

Cue to "Whistle While You Work" from Snow White

That curly-haired girl's accent seems REALLY thick. Even her parents' accents aren't that thick. Maybe it's just me :/

Why the hell does that girl with the big hair always look ready for prom? That's Erin, right? Fuck, I can't remember their names.

I don't know that they are that much more involved with their kids. I think it's easy to shine next to the Duggars (although, at least the Duggars don't require their children to work to feed the rest of the family.) as far as child interaction goes. But I think the eldest girl supposedly does most of the homeschooling when the cameras aren't around and they make prodigious use of the buddy system. My guess is that if you had cameras on the Bates 24/7 they would come off almost exactly like the Duggars.

That's probably it, maybe it is the cameras and editing. I'd actually like to stay with a fundy family 24/7 and see what life is really like. My only experience is sleep overs with fundie-lite friends.

I agree. I'd love to stay with the Duggars or the Bateses or any of them for 24 hours. I think it would enlightening. I doubt I'd last past hour 12.

I agree. I'd love to stay with the Duggars or the Bateses or any of them for 24 hours. I think it would enlightening. I doubt I'd last past hour 12.

I'm the quiet, shy type who's always sweet around strangers, so I'd last a little longer... so once everyone has gone to bed I'd find a nice, isolated closet with thick coats and scream my fucking lungs out.

Trust me, it's no picnic being the shy&quiet type.

Both are "real" colleges, though conservative, accredited by the Southern Association, although CN has been placed on "Warning." I didn't care enough to delve into the reasons.

Gil and Kelly are denying their children the education they themselves received.

Gustava,

I had no idea that Carson-Newman's accreditation was in jeopardy. That's really not good.

Archived