IGNORED

Gov.Perry/abortion/JoanRivers

MamaJunebug

It pains me to type the subject line.

TX Gov. Rick Perry says if the abortion-clinic standards required in Texas had been in effect at Joan Rivers' surgicenter in NYC, she'd've lived.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... rtion-laws

I'm livid.

"“It was interesting that when Joan Rivers, and the procedure that she had done, where she died – that was a clinic. And I’m just – it’s a curious thought that if they had had that type of regulations in place, whether or not that individual would be still alive,†Perry said on Sunday in response to a question from an audience member during a keynote session at the Texas Tribune Festival in Austin."

Disgusting politicans take any opportunity - ANY OPPORTUNITY - to promote their pet doctrines.

And to do it on the back of the late, great LADY who was Joan Rivers, who died before her time because, yes, elderly people should not undergo general anesthesia unless it's in a hospital operating room with an anesthesiologist present, and because reportedly a physician uninvolved in the procedure carelessly asked to throw in a biopsy and reportedly the physician doing the procedure carelessly okayed it.

Has NOTHING TO DO WITH ABORTION RIGHTS, Perry, you unregenerate whelp of a patriarchal mindset that will kill this nation!

Like I said, "livid" describes my emotional state at present. Thank you for your attention.

he's grasping at straws, trying to stay relevant. it doesn't even make any sense to me...is he trying to say that abortion clinics have more regulations and are better than others? i would have thought that, being anti-abortion, he would be trying to say that no surgical procedure should be done in a clinic or something like that. maybe that's what he was trying to say and mucked it up. i have no clue with him anymore.

God hates people who lie rick Perry. No one is fooled about the whole safety issue. I mean he has destroyed so much health care for women it is hard to believe. To claim he cares for womens health is harder to believe then him being a space alien. Well that would explain a lot

he's grasping at straws, trying to stay relevant. it doesn't even make any sense to me...is he trying to say that abortion clinics have more regulations and are better than others? i would have thought that, being anti-abortion, he would be trying to say that no surgical procedure should be done in a clinic or something like that. maybe that's what he was trying to say and mucked it up. i have no clue with him anymore.

He's saying: Abortion equals bad. Let's make it as hard as possible for women to have one.

He's justifying by saying:

1.Joan Rivers died because she had surgery in a clinic. If she'd had surgery in a hospital with better facilities for high risk patients, she'd still be alive. Surgery is dangerous.

2. Abortion is surgery

3. Therefore, abortion is dangerous. It should only take place in a hospital with facilities for high risk patients. Let's shut down all clinics that provide abortions.

I'm not even American and I want to slap him (and I suspect Joan Rivers might want to slap him too.)

Actually NYS has its usual robust regulations in place for office based surgery. The clinic Rivers went to was regulated. At least one of the physicians involved also had admitting priveleges to Mt Sinai hospital, a key component of the Texas anti-choice legislation. What happened to Joan Rivers was malpractice. It had nothing to do with Texas abortion law. But who cares about facts when we can whip up some emotion!

I'd imagine that Joan would have wanted to slap hime, too, uber frau. Apparently one of her comedy routines was about abortion and I can't imagine that it was "pro-life". How hurtful this must be to Melissa!

As some of you may be aware, most abortion clinics in Texas closed Sept 1, because a new Texas law (HB 2) requires abortion clinics to meet the same standards as ambulatory surgery centers.

The rule, part of a sweeping anti-abortion law passed last year, requires that all clinics providing abortions at any stage of pregnancy, including nonsurgical drug-induced abortions, meet the costly building standards of ambulatory surgery centers...

Proponents of the Texas law, including Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, say the surgery center requirement will enhance patient safety. But the clinics, backed by major medical associations, say it is unnecessary and singles out abortion clinics for costly regulation when other, riskier outpatient procedures do not have to meet the same standard.

This part of the law has been challenged in Federal court, and I think a ruling is due very soon.

Governor Goodhair is a dick and not a very smart one, but he is shrewd and has manged to stay in office for longer than it is mentally healthy to consider, although he is not running again.

So not only does Texas have a vendetta against Planned Parenthood that has resulted in large numbers of poor women in sparsely populated counties losing access to birth control and basic women's health services, they are also losing access to abortion providers.

"So not only does Texas have a vendetta against Planned Parenthood that has resulted in large numbers of poor women in sparsely populated counties losing access to birth control and basic women's health services, they are also losing access to abortion providers."

I'm sure this makes Perry perfectly happy. After all, if poor women are having sex they deserve to get pregnant. If they and their fetuses die due to lack of medical care, then they probably deserve that too. If you aren't rich enough to afford your own birth control or to travel to another state for your abortion care, you're probably too poor to vote for Perry anyway.

"So not only does Texas have a vendetta against Planned Parenthood that has resulted in large numbers of poor women in sparsely populated counties losing access to birth control and basic women's health services, they are also losing access to abortion providers."

I'm sure this makes Perry perfectly happy. After all, if poor women are having sex they deserve to get pregnant. If they and their fetuses die due to lack of medical care, then they probably deserve that too. If you aren't rich enough to afford your own birth control or to travel to another state for your abortion care, you're probably too poor to vote for Perry anyway.

you nailed it, docmom

Rick Perry is a serious fundamentalist and I think heading even further in that direction as part of his natural inclination and with his presidential ambitions. After all, he has to out-Cruz Ted Cruz in the fundie department. And yes, the losers are poor people, especially immigrants.

He s**ts on the disenfranchised in order to up his political donations from the wealthy/powerful elites. Shi**ing on poor people telegraphs the message that the poor are the problem, and reassures the financial and political elites of their influence and cronyism remains the bastion of respectability. Ironic, isn't it?

It pains me to type the subject line.

TX Gov. Rick Perry says if the abortion-clinic standards required in Texas had been in effect at Joan Rivers' surgicenter in NYC, she'd've lived.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... rtion-laws

I'm livid.

"“It was interesting that when Joan Rivers, and the procedure that she had done, where she died – that was a clinic. And I’m just – it’s a curious thought that if they had had that type of regulations in place, whether or not that individual would be still alive,†Perry said on Sunday in response to a question from an audience member during a keynote session at the Texas Tribune Festival in Austin."

Disgusting politicans take any opportunity - ANY OPPORTUNITY - to promote their pet doctrines.

And to do it on the back of the late, great LADY who was Joan Rivers, who died before her time because, yes, elderly people should not undergo general anesthesia unless it's in a hospital operating room with an anesthesiologist present, and because reportedly a physician uninvolved in the procedure carelessly asked to throw in a biopsy and reportedly the physician doing the procedure carelessly okayed it.

Has NOTHING TO DO WITH ABORTION RIGHTS, Perry, you unregenerate whelp of a patriarchal mindset that will kill this nation!

Like I said, "livid" describes my emotional state at present. Thank you for your attention.

What an asshat. Just were did he get his medical degree?

I honestly don't even know where to begin with how fucking stupid Perry is. Since all it took for him to mandate Gardasil was a $5000 campaign bribe, I mean donation, do you think a donation of $5000 would get him to shut up and go away?

The man is such a putz. I am willing to stipulate that at her age, Joan Rivers was a higher risk than the average patient. That said, Perry should be able to micromanage the care for any woman who is over age 65 and is seeking an abortion. Write that into your rules and regulations you ignorant man. He claims he is not a scientist so he cannot comment on global warming ("I am not a scientist" is the new GOP talking point) but he is perfectly willing to make medical decisions even though he is not a physician. There are no words for the level of contempt I have for him.

As some of you may be aware, most abortion clinics in Texas closed Sept 1, because a new Texas law (HB 2) requires abortion clinics to meet the same standards as ambulatory surgery centers.

So many questions about this.

Does that ruling include healthcare places that have similarly dangerous services like dental surgery?

Will abortion services move into hospitals?

I've been in a desperate place before and researched the late period pill. It's almost impossible to get in our state too. This is what makes the Hobby Lobby ruling so indefensible. Taking away abortion is one thing, limiting ways to get contraception makes the situation even worse. At least the morning after pill is OTC now, and easily available in the condom section of department stores. Although i have seen where people have moved it to put it behind other things or shoved it way back on the shelves. :roll:

What are these desperate mothers supposed to do when faced with an impossible situation? What a mess.

It's putting all the burden on the women to refuse sex when often the woman is the vulnerable, less powerful partner in a relationship.

i just can't believe so many conservative adults who have lived in relationships are so naive to see where these restrictions will harm poor women. And that "poor segment" will become an increasing majority of women, of all races. I can understand young conservatives not knowing enough about relationship dynamics that they would naively support really restrictive policies. But women supporting this who have lived through the stresses of being a parent, raising kids, making an income, men who understand being a dad supporting this -- i just don't get it.

Oh, Coco. You really need to stop it with all that logic and empathy of yours. You know Jesus wouldn't let things like that get in the way of his agenda.

Oh, wait....

Oh, Coco. You really need to stop it with all that logic and empathy of yours. You know Jesus wouldn't let things like that get in the way of his agenda.

Oh, wait....

yeah no kidding. :angry-banghead:

Archived