IGNORED

Abigail, a martyr for the pro life cause.

lilah

Abigail is such a pro-life martyr guys. Her latest is a whole post about how she's such a martyr for the pro life cause because she's had miscarriages, high risk pregnancies and a kid in the NICU and apparently no one could ever know her struggles! Only prolife know what it's like (because no pro choice person has ever had a difficult pregnancy or sick kid. ANd no pro life type might consider things like genetic counseling or birth control)

Also when you're Abby t's soooo hard to be judged! No one gives her enough sympathy about her difficult pregnancy because it's pregnancy number 6. . It's all about feeding the ego. She even opened up her comment section so she could have more ego stroking.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-harder-parts-of-being-pro-life.html

After I started getting air into my lungs, Jon decided this was his cue to step it up as the calm presence in the room with the gift of distraction. He started talking about his detailed research on the historic context of the ISIS conflict in Irag and Syria. Both the tech and I found this extremely interesting and asked him all kinds of detailed questions.

Yeah, I'm really sure a busy tech was interested in that.

Good god, amazing how she thinks anyone who believes in any measure of choice doesn't know how valuable our children are.

Her husband is just as much of a raging narcissistic and nut-job as she is. They really feed off each other and encourage each other's delusions. I feel so sorry for their kids. Abigail has already decided that her eldest daughter is destined to be a nun. When her kids grow up and inevitably don't do what she wants (I hope they run far, far away) it's just going to be new material for her to be histrionic about. Don't worry Abigail, you'll always be a Martyr.

I also hope her kids go far far away. Or is she going be like the Maxwells & insist their kids live at home till marriage.

My ex was one of 8 kids from devout Catholic parents. Not one of those kids has any religious affiliation.

I don't think Abigail would force her kids to stay at home. She comes from a very privileged background and has a bit of an intellectual snobby streak. I think she will want them all to attend a prestigious Catholic university. She's got plans for her oldest daughter to be a nun, and I'm pretty sure she's hoping her son (either the one she has currently or the one currently gestating) will one day be Pope. Not sure about the middle girls, but she's not really the sort of fundie who thinks higher education is evil, or even that women shouldn't work outside the home. I'm sure she'll want her daughters to be stay-at-home wives/mothers if they marry but she'll also want to be able to brag about how educated and distinguished they are.

-BTW this is all coming from a woman who insists she's devoting herself to poverty for spiritual purposes. Although come to think of it, she's been kind of ignoring the poverty angle on her blog lately. Maybe it got old.

Her husband is just as much of a raging narcissistic and nut-job as she is. They really feed off each other and encourage each other's delusions. I feel so sorry for their kids. Abigail has already decided that her eldest daughter is destined to be a nun. When her kids grow up and inevitably don't do what she wants (I hope they run far, far away) it's just going to be new material for her to be histrionic about. Don't worry Abigail, you'll always be a Martyr.

Jon seems like such a giant pain in the ass to be around. And I do love how she goes on and on about how intellectual they are, but she really can't seem to get the hang of when to capitalize a word and when to keep it lowercase (which drives me crazy!)

What drives me even crazier is how she has determined her eldest daughter will be a nun. She's a little kid--she's going to change her mind lots of different times. And even the Catholic Church acknowledges that people are called to be different things and the life of a nun isn't for everyone. But Abigail needs her nun and her priest to show how religious she is. She even makes sure to dress them modestly at the pool so later when they take their vows they aren't embarrassed by pictures from when they are small. :roll:

Did I read that right, did she leave her billionty kids unattended in the waiting room for an hour while she had her sono? Oh, I am sure they were no bother to anyone at all... :roll:

also, the big, smart, history podcast listening brain is sooo sexy on her husband, but she spells Iraq "Irag". What a dumb butt.

People who are anti-government-forced-birth can also lose babies, you self-centered twats. And grieve them. Believing that strangers churches, courts and lawmakers should not control a woman's reproductive choices doesn't mean we're cardboard cutout villains.

Oh wait, this is Abigail, anyone who disagrees with her about anything is going straight to hell.

Why does Abigail feel the need to be patted on the back so regularly for doing utterly normal things? Or even flat-out STUPID things? It's like every decision she makes must be The Holiest And Best Therefore The Only Right Choice and if you don't agree with her, you're doing it wrong, because Catholicism.

Did she just have one miscarriage or two or did she have several?

Oh course this is the woman who said she was infertile again when she had her period again a couple months after her last baby was born. As someone who is currently considered infertile and knows people who truly are infertile, she can kiss my ass.

My grandmother was an impoverished Catholic.

Can't be 100% positive about this, but I'm betting she never called her situation "fun!"

Abigail, the word for you is "fatuous."

Can't be a martyr unless you die.

She's a very talented blogger to blog as a zombie, most can't overcome their quest for brains.

Did she just have one miscarriage or two or did she have several?

Oh course this is the woman who said she was infertile again when she had her period again a couple months after her last baby was born. As someone who is currently considered infertile and knows people who truly are infertile, she can kiss my ass.

IIRC she has only had two miscarriages including the one she named Leo at around 14 weeks which they held a full funeral mass for.

Yes, she's had two miscarriages; there were funerals for both. She decided both were boys, for some reason, though I'm not sure she was far along (at least with the first one) to know. She also has Christmas stalkings for both of them.

I'm sure if this baby comes through okay, she'll continue to pine for those two miscarriages. We're sure to get posts about how sad it is that the new baby won't know his brothers, and how hard it is on her being pro-life. :embarrassed:

I don't think Abigail would force her kids to stay at home. She comes from a very privileged background and has a bit of an intellectual snobby streak. I think she will want them all to attend a prestigious Catholic university. She's got plans for her oldest daughter to be a nun, and I'm pretty sure she's hoping her son (either the one she has currently or the one currently gestating) will one day be Pope. Not sure about the middle girls, but she's not really the sort of fundie who thinks higher education is evil, or even that women shouldn't work outside the home. I'm sure she'll want her daughters to be stay-at-home wives/mothers if they marry but she'll also want to be able to brag about how educated and distinguished they are.

-BTW this is all coming from a woman who insists she's devoting herself to poverty for spiritual purposes. Although come to think of it, she's been kind of ignoring the poverty angle on her blog lately. Maybe it got old.

I think you are right. However, I think she is going to be in for a shock when none of her kids can get into quality higher education because they have been educationally handicapped by her poor homeschooling.

She's a very talented blogger to blog as a zombie, most can't overcome their quest for brains.

I am so not getting this :pink-shock:

I think you are right. However, I think she is going to be in for a shock when none of her kids can get into quality higher education because they have been educationally handicapped by her poor homeschooling.

Definitely. You can only play the "tests don't register how brilliant my children are" for so long. Once they're college age, it is what it is and if they can't get in, they can't get in.

I also suspect neither Abigail nor Jon like math, and since so much of early arithmetic is about repetition and consistency, I think their children will really be critically behind in that area.

I really fail to see what any of her post had to do with being "pro-life".

She has a bit of a complication. It's not the sort of thing that would cause someone who was pro-choice to terminate. Low-lying placenta just means taking more precautions and having more monitoring, and a c-section if necessary (and she was already planning a c-section due to her history).

Opposing the idea of government having control over the bodies of pregnant women doesn't necessarily reflect what someone would choose to do with their own pregnancy. There was a time when I was dealing with miscarriages and fighting like hell for my own high-risk pregnancy to make it. Those experiences made me more opposed to laws that coerce pregnant women. I was extra-sensitive to the idea of blaming women for losing a pregnancy, I was keenly aware that pregnancy could require going on bedrest and dealing with work complications and trouble managing at home as a result, and I knew that I could never view a pregnant woman as a simple, passive vessel that was totally separate from the fetus.

To me, there is also a point where being pro-more-babies is not pro-life at all. The mother is an existing life, and I can't justify a serious threat to an existing life for the idea of conceiving a new life.

I think what baffles me the most about Abigail is that SHE THINKS SHE'S CODEPENDENT. As in, she thinks she is the long-suffering martyr who does nothing but sacrifice for others. Of course, in reality she is more of a narcissist, which is the type of personality that ATTRACTS codependents because they are the exact opposite.

That's when I love my husband so much. He squeezes my hand inside our soon to be too small passenger van and says "That's why this situation is more pure an than impulse to donate a kidney an older kid. You're putting heart on the line for a stranger."

Ugh, ugh, ugh. There aren't enough words for how off-putting I find this. It's just so smug and self-important. You are NOT the only person in the world to sacrifice for a "stranger". How about all of the stories of police officers, firefighters, soldiers, random good Samaritans who put themselves in danger for ACTUAL strangers, as in people they are not related to and will probably never meet. This is not a quality of self-identified "pro-lifers"...most supposed pro-lifers that I know consider running a FB page to be helping others. Get over yourselves.

Jon seems like such a giant pain in the ass to be around. And I do love how she goes on and on about how intellectual they are, but she really can't seem to get the hang of when to capitalize a word and when to keep it lowercase (which drives me crazy!)

What drives me even crazier is how she has determined her eldest daughter will be a nun. She's a little kid--she's going to change her mind lots of different times. And even the Catholic Church acknowledges that people are called to be different things and the life of a nun isn't for everyone. But Abigail needs her nun and her priest to show how religious she is. She even makes sure to dress them modestly at the pool so later when they take their vows they aren't embarrassed by pictures from when they are small. :roll:

Isn't part of taking your vows leaving behind the life you had before, and it not mattering what sort of background you had because now you serve god? Because if that's the way it works it shouldn't matter what she wore as a child or even if she went wild and crazy for a while, I'm sure the convent wouldn't care.

• 2 weeks later...

The bit about the "purity" sounds fake to me. If I were sitting in a sonogram room waiting to hear potentially devastating news, my husband would not be coming up with quotable bon mots and carrying on about the political intricacies of the Middle East conflict.

Sometimes (a lot) I have the feeling that some/much of Abigail's blog is a sort of reality-based fiction, with everyone doing and saying exactly the right thing to provide a platform for Abigail (and Jon, via Abigail quoting what Jon said, or might have said, or should have said) to demonstrate to the world the strength of their convictions and also just how smart they are. Nothing ever just HAPPENS, there's never any coincidences, everyday life and all interactions with other people are all fraught with meaning and unspoken judgements of Abigail' s life and choices and faith and convictions.

Personally, I think of exactly what to say about two hours after the conversation or situation and wish I could fly back in time and deliver my scathing put-down or zinger. I get the feeling sometimes that this is what's going on in Abigail's blog. What's more, I suspect she's assigning sinister motives and thoughts and even putting words in mouths or imagining dirty looks from total strangers who are not interacting with her or her family at all.

Maybe she's sitting somewhere, in a doctor's waiting room, and there's someone else there."That woman is frowning in a room where I am, so I will assume she is thinking terrible things about me/my kids/my choices and respond on my blog to someone I know nothing about about things that were never said."

Because everyone Abigail and her family come into contact with is thinking about Abigail and her life and her choices and her faith, naturally. People only exist when interacting with their family, they couldn't possibly have lives themselves.

It's ALWAYS all about Abigail.

I think that's pretty spot on analysis, bea. Abigail is a narcissist, so obviously every interaction she has with any stranger has to be all about her.

Archived