IGNORED

Missouri - 72 hr abortion waiting period vetoed

RandomTrivia

Didn't realize the old thread was archived. Apparently there's still a bit of sanity left in Missouri - Gov. Nixon vetoed the waiting period, and I guess was pretty blunt about it. :) From Salon ( http://www.salon.com/2014/07/02/missouri_gover ... _to_women/ ) - a I like this quote from a grad student.

a University of Missouri master’s student told lawmakers that she would like to testify agains the measure — but would need to wait 72 hours so they would know that she meant what she said.

“I would like you to be able to trust in my opinions,†Dina van der Zalm told the committee. “Since this bill … makes the assumption that women are not capable of making difficult decisions without the aid of politicians requiring additional time — an additional three days — to really think it through, then I can only assume that you’re not going to legitimately listen [to] or value the opinions I would like to state today.

“I would like to take your recommended waiting period and return Monday after I’ve had time to really think through my decisions,†she continued. “I’m pretty sure of how I feel. I’m pretty sure it’s not going to change at all.â€

We'll see how long it take the Republicans to start trying to override the veto.

I heard this on NPR this evening. These politicos made me so angry. :angry-cussingblack: Abortion isn't already hard enough without these misogynists legislating more hardship.

:cracking-up: This is great. Let's hope that if the Republicans appeal (which they surely will) that they are told yet again to stfu and back the eff off of women's issues.

They won't stop until abortion is banned. Sadly they have the power and the zeal to continue to enforce strict anti-abortion legislation and if it manages to get to the Supreme Court, this court will likely put a stake in the heart of Roe v Wade. People today do not know what it was like before Roe. Perhaps if abortion is illegal people will wake up but it would take a very long time before anything substantive could be done. The Religious Right does not care if women die from illegal abortions. You can't fight zealotry with reason. If history has taught us anything, though, these zealots will eventually begin fighting amongst themselves and, hopefully, will loose some of their power.

:cracking-up: This is great. Let's hope that if the Republicans appeal (which they surely will) that they are told yet again to stfu and back the eff off of women's issues.

Yesterday's paper had an article on the veto. Apparently the state Senate was one vote short of an override when it was brought up, 1 Republican Senator was absent that day, and the vote was definitely a straight ticket - Dems against, Reps in favor. And the next election is expected to add a Republican or two. So, the Senate override looks like a fairly sure thing, unless sanity prevails. :cry: And it has been too long since my HS state gov't class for me to remember the specifics on vetos and legislature overrides and how long they can go back and forth on this whole fucked up mess. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Given the party lines that divided the vote, I'm not sure that writing to the local Repub. in question would do any good.

• 2 months later...
... so we are now the proud owners of the 2nd most restrictive abortion laws in the country.

It makes me sad that Texas is so often FIRST!!!! in the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad kinds of things.

The 5th Circuit is having hearings today on our latest abortion regulation drama. Although an appeals judge overturned some of the restrictions that were to go into effect September 1st, it's almost certain that the 5th Circuit will re-instate them, as they have repeatedly done in the past. I really can't wait until we are at a point in our lives where we can move to another state.

Here's a little thought experiment for the Missouri folks:

What would happen if we treated everything that requires consent in the same way?

For starters, sex and abortion both require consent. Imagine if we applied the same standards of consent. Can't consent to either while drunk, consent should be pretty explicit and is not just the absence of fighting back or screaming no, but waiting 3 days between saying yes and doing the deed is unreasonable.

It makes me sad that Texas is so often FIRST!!!! in the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad kinds of things.

The 5th Circuit is having hearings today on our latest abortion regulation drama. Although an appeals judge overturned some of the restrictions that were to go into effect September 1st, it's almost certain that the 5th Circuit will re-instate them, as they have repeatedly done in the past. I really can't wait until we are at a point in our lives where we can move to another state.

Cheer up, Missouri and South Dakota are ahead of you on this one. :angry-banghead: :roll: I'm hoping this gets challenged in court, but I'm not sure what the chances are of saner heads prevailing.

And the odds of us ever moving to another state are pretty damn low. Family is 98% in MO, surrounding states aren't much better, and weather-wise I don't want to go any farther south, probably not much farther north (unless we head to the Seattle/Vancouver area, where at least the ocean keeps things more stable, and now I can't remember the term for it, darn it.)

Here's a little thought experiment for the Missouri folks:

What would happen if we treated everything that requires consent in the same way?

For starters, sex and abortion both require consent. Imagine if we applied the same standards of consent. Can't consent to either while drunk, consent should be pretty explicit and is not just the absence of fighting back or screaming no, but waiting 3 days between saying yes and doing the deed is unreasonable.

Waiting 3 days to buy a gun is also unreasonable, and unAmerican. :roll: According to some of our lovely congresspeople, women put more thought into choosing cars, vacuums, carpets, and puppies than we do into whether or not to get an abortion. That, at least, is the image that NARAL had on their website this morning, and was also referred to in a news article yesterday. And thanks to BuzzFeed, I know which idiots those were, and one is actually a doctor. http://www.buzzfeed.com/naral/4-decisio ... ampaign=FB

Because having an abortion is so clearly a spur-of-the-moment thing, and you can walk into any clinic or doctor's office and get one in 20 minutes, no waiting. Which is even more bullshit, because a) 96% of Missouri counties don't have an abortion provider and b) the only Planned Parenthood that does abortions is either KC or StL, or both. I know the one in Columbia doesn't, but there are still protestors there at least once a week when I drive by.

Icing on the cake - one of the links led to another link about yet another MO congress-idiot. He's suing the Obama Administration over the ACA, because his daughters could get birth control through his health care plan, and that would violate his religious beliefs.

Archived