IGNORED

Lourdes & Nolan Manteufel - Doug Phillips lawsuit - Part 2

happy atheist

In the photo of Doug and Lourdes dressed as colonials, I always thought Lourdes looked extremely uncomfortable, while Dough's (do'h now I'm typing "Dough" as well!) body language suggested a rather pompous, triumphant view of self and subject. I could be reading into it, but even before Nolan used that photo I thought that photo summed up the situation better than any words.

DP2.jpg

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The photo is of Lourdes being granted the great honor of portraying the fully Westernized, Christianized Pocahontas at the Whatever 500. :roll:

Pocahontas? You would never have guessed...

Doug has a punchable face. Theres just something about him that looks smug.

The photo is of Lourdes being granted the great honor of portraying the fully Westernized, Christianized Pocahontas at the Whatever 500. :roll:

er...um..Pocahontas? Well.....I think it's safe to say I wouldn't have guessed that in about a million years ever. I am not going to pretend to understand that.

A little OT, but I love seeing the new photos of Lourdes on FB wearing normal, weather and activity-appropriate clothes. She looks fantastic, and it must be a huge relief to finally be able to wear a tank top or shorts in the Texas heat.

Does anyone know what the actual intent of the photo was?

According to this post by Nolan:

facebook.com/nolan.manteufel/posts/665160020198171?comment_id=665264296854410&offset=0&total_comments=46

The picture is "A Boston pic of Doug and Manteufel ladies" -- that'd be Lourdes... now Mrs. Manteufel... and Nolan's sisters.

facebook.com/nolan.manteufel/posts/665160020198171?comment_id=665264296854410&offset=0&total_comments=46

The picture is "A Boston pic of Doug and Manteufel ladies" -- that'd be Lourdes... now Mrs. Manteufel... and Nolan's sisters.

I want to say - that whole thread just warms my soul. What grace and maturity and hope expressed by those who got out.

When Nolan created a meme about Doug's abuse, he included a photo of Doug and Lourdes...

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=665655900148583&set=a.168125519901626.31222.100001125374218&type=1&theater

...but also a photo of Doug and the "First Brigade" of VF interns.

Okay, all those hot interns, and poor Kelly got Bradrick? He's like a caricature of ugly.

He wasn't raised on this initially, just came to it as a young, impressionable teen

So his folks got into The World of Dougie when he was a teen?

I know the whole family was involved -- he didn't come to it on his own, right (just want to make sure I've got the history straight)?

Those comments are very interesting, especially from another successful escapee called Rebekah, and give more insight into life within BCA. the VF hierarchy, and how the younger folk experienced VF conferences.

To think I missed the VF Conference in Boston in 2009. That was Doug in all his cosplay glory! Didn't they go to Salem and pontificate about witches too? The possibility of a glimpse of the Tool wasn't worth the long drive into the big city -- but I'd be dining out on the experience now. :P

Oh yes, the Reformation 500. I wasn't present but some of my relatives and folks from my old church went to this and/or to the Jamestown 400. I've heard about them before, but I have to admit that I would be very curious to discuss these conferences with the folks who attended now that some of what was unfolding behind the scenes has come to light. Haven't gotten up the nerve to ask, though. I'm on very good terms with my family, but I don't think they'd be open to discussing this particular subject; it's an obvious sore spot.

Okay, all those hot interns, and poor Kelly got Bradrick? He's like a caricature of ugly.

That culture prizes loud, domineering, authoritarian, cowboy-boot-stompin' Manly Men. QED

In all these photos of DPIAT I am surprised that one item of clothing is missing – his codpiece!

In all these photos of DPIAT I am surprised that one item of clothing is missing – his codpiece!

In the pic with Lourdes, it looks as if he's stuffed a pair of socks down in the codpiecical area.

In the pic with Lourdes, it looks as if he's stuffed a pair of socks down in the codpiecical area.

Ah lol You made me look at that. Where is the brain bleach??? Hehe

In the photo of Doug and Lourdes dressed as colonials, I always thought Lourdes looked extremely uncomfortable, while Dough's (do'h now I'm typing "Dough" as well!) body language suggested a rather pompous, triumphant view of self and subject. I could be reading into it, but even before Nolan used that photo I thought that photo summed up the situation better than any words.

DP2.jpg

This is definitely a picture from the VF Reformation 500 shindig held in Boston a few years ago. It's the event where the Botkinettes also appeared in elaborate costumes - A-S as Jeanne D'Albret, and E as Anne Boleyn.

Women aren't visual, dontcha know? ::sarcasm::

This is definitely a picture from the VF Reformation 500 shindig held in Boston a few years ago. It's the event where the Botkinettes also appeared in elaborate costumes - A-S as Jeanne D'Albret, and E as Anne Boleyn.

Anne Boleyn?! Um? Really? What, as some sort of mother of the faith? I would have thought they would have chosen someone with a little less sordid extra-marital shenanigans going on. Or at least someone who wasn't so public about them.

Anne Boleyn?! Um? Really? What, as some sort of mother of the faith? I would have thought they would have chosen someone with a little less sordid extra-marital shenanigans going on. Or at least someone who wasn't so public about them.

OMG. Just went back and read the Botkin blog post about that: visionarydaughters.com/2009/07/resurrecting-two-great-queens

I laughed so hard. Yes, Anne Boleyn, great reformer.

Yep. “I chose to portray Anne Boleyn, surely one of the most maligned and misrepresented women in history, for the chance to tell her true story… Upon being crowned queen, Anne used her position to promote and defend reformers such as William Tyndale, Thomas Cranmer, Hugh Latimer, Matthew Parker, and Miles Coverdale, to encourage the translation and dissemination of Scripture into English, and to make England a refuge for persecuted Protestants from around Europe… Brought down by a conspiracy of her papist enemies…â€

visionarydaughters.com/2009/07/resurrecting-two-great-queens

OMG. Just went back and read the Botkin blog post about that: visionarydaughters.com/2009/07/resurrecting-two-great-queens

I laughed so hard. Yes, Anne Boleyn, great reformer.

Yeah. I'm shocked. I guess I shouldn't be. Anne Boleyn was an interest of mine for a while. I don't see how they can call her a "defender of the gospel". They do know she broke apart the king's marriage. And she was pregnant before they got married. And the king fathered 1 or 2 of her sister's children. She was used to elevate her family's status, so I guess they have that in common. But they just totally gloss over most of her life. Sad. I guess that is SOTDRT

Yeah. I'm shocked. I guess I shouldn't be. Anne Boleyn was an interest of mine for a while. I don't see how they can call her a "defender of the gospel". They do know she broke apart the king's marriage. And she was pregnant before they got married. And the king fathered 1 or 2 of her sister's children. She was used to elevate her family's status, so I guess they have that in common. But they just totally gloss over most of her life. Sad. I guess that is SOTDRT

Well, she WAS essentially her family's political chess piece, so that's about as high up as a gal can go in the Dominionist hierarchy.

Yes. When I first read the Botkinette version of Anne Boleyn I thought they were confusing her with Lady Jane Grey!

Are they just making this version of Anne up out of whole cloth? Serious question for you historians, I suppose there was some revisionist history put out by Elizabeth I in trying to rescue her mother's reputation? I don't know.

FYI, Ingrid at Semper Eadem has weighed in with some of her usual compassionate good sense and grace on Lourdes and the lawsuit:

ingridgraceandaudrey.blogspot.com/

Yes. When I first read the Botkinette version of Anne Boleyn I thought they were confusing her with Lady Jane Grey!

Are they just making this version of Anne up out of whole cloth? Serious question for you historians, I suppose there was some revisionist history put out by Elizabeth I in trying to rescue her mother's reputation? I don't know.

I mean, yes, she was big into "reformer" literature - Martin Luther, Tyndale, what-not. But don't you think that her skin in that race was finding a religious middle ground more okay with the divorce/annulment Henry was seeking?

Just as DPIAT/R sold his version of Christianity for the fame, glory, and fancy outfits, I suspect Anne Boleyn sold hers because it legitimized her relationship and child.

So his folks got into The World of Dougie when he was a teen?

I know the whole family was involved -- he didn't come to it on his own, right (just want to make sure I've got the history straight)?

They were a Lutheran family that came to BCA right around the time of The League Of Grateful Sons (LOGS) stuff. I guess he might have been a bit younger.

Archived