IGNORED

Joseph Maxwell still working on his house

SPHASH

Mrs Munck posted that she, and her family, are foodies! (Someone gave them a brittle of maple syrup.) They enjoy cooking yummy things together.

Oh, so very different from the bean lovin Maxwells!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief. How many times are they going to sit around polishing the cabinets before they declare this place done?

Heh. It won't be done until Mrs. Beige moves in, and they've yet to snag a new one.

I took the post to mean "This is why Joseph isn't living in his house". A strange order of things, remodeling the inside of the house before taking care of drainage issues, but maybe the timing of everything hasn't been right. It's a split level home so where they are digging is just about the height of the ceiling of the basement so I wonder if they've had water damage.

I think most previous posters need some time in the prayer closet. Stevie Joe did a blog post to remind us 'naysayers' why he choices to live at home.

I bet Poor Sarah is very willing "to Tackle a Hard Project" double double entendre!!!1!

I think most previous posters need some time in the prayer closet. Stevie Joe did a blog post to remind us 'naysayers' why he choices to live at home.

I bet Poor Sarah is very willing "to Tackle a Hard Project" double double entendre!!!1!

Wasn't there supposed to be a Part II to that naysayers post? Still waiting.

And, I think there's a space in that prayer closet for you, Mr. johnhugh for that hard project remark!

Wasn't there supposed to be a Part II to that naysayers post? Still waiting.

I think Jesse's literary masterpiece about wanting to homeschool his future kids was meant to be part 2 of the Naysayers saga.

About Liz and the color choices... I remember there was a picture from a hardware store where Joe was on the phone discussing tile choices with his not-future-helpmeet. So yes, she was allowed to have a little bit of input, but I bet it was more like Joe (=Stevehovah the Almighty) chose two options and asked which she preferred.

Actually, I'd like to see what the interiors of the house look like now that they probably are pretty much done. As much as I dislike their "cold tiles and 50 shades of beige" -style I have to admit that these people get things done.

So yes, she was allowed to have a little bit of input, but I bet it was more like Joe (=Stevehovah the Almighty) chose two options and asked which she preferred.

Beige or off-white for the tiles? Cream or eggshell for the paint?

Oh god.... There was a side-eye (from ?Jinger? IIRC) to Jana in a preview for next wks 20KandC and the first thought I had was that she was going to have new drainage.... Lord help her.

Beige or off-white for the tiles? Cream or eggshell for the paint?

Beige tiles, but they seem to like dark colored walls with white trim. My own house is like that, though with much brighter colors (they were painting the walls colors like dark maroon and even dark brown, IIRC. (Though my kitchen has dark purple walls and a bright multi-colored mosaic vinyl tile flooring with 1940s metal cabinets, so YMMV.)

Just generally though I enjoyed the photos of the main remodel. As much as I would not want to be a Maxwell in a million years, I will give praise where praise is due - they did a good job on the house, and quickly, and their bus remodel was also nice to see. I think they could get jobs in the construction business or start up a rental empire, if they weren't so crazily cloistered. Definitely they need to get a bunch of nice cozy throw rugs for the tile, though. Best of both worlds - you can wash or swap out the carpets.

I'd also skip the big wooden letters spelling out "JESUS" on the wall, but...

Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that when Joseph "acquires" a wife, the house will not only have been finished, but totally decorated? The girl/woman will have no say in what the house will look like, because the Maxwells sure as hell aren't buying new drapes or repainting a room or two to account for her tastes. She will be expected to simply move in, put her clothes in an empty dresser, and pop out kids.

Is anyone else creeped out by the fact that when Joseph "acquires" a wife, the house will not only have been finished, but totally decorated? The girl/woman will have no say in what the house will look like, because the Maxwells sure as hell aren't buying new drapes or repainting a room or two to account for her tastes. She will be expected to simply move in, put her clothes in an empty dresser, and pop out kids.

Yep, just like what happened when NR-Anna married Christopher. He was living in the old house and she just moved in. They still have that same ugly wallpaper in the dining area of the kitchen -- yikes. Hopefully she had some say in how the babies' rooms were decorated -- certainly they had to change those, right?

Yep, just like what happened when NR-Anna married Christopher. He was living in the old house and she just moved in. They still have that same ugly wallpaper in the dining area of the kitchen -- yikes. Hopefully she had some say in how the babies' rooms were decorated -- certainly they had to change those, right?

Christopher wasn't living in the old house. He was living in the boys dormitory and received permission from both sets of parents to be alone in the old house with Anna to show her he had prepared it for marriage. He kept sleeping at Maxhell HQ til the wedding night.

Christopher wasn't living in the old house. He was living in the boys dormitory and received permission from both sets of parents to be alone in the old house with Anna to show her he had prepared it for marriage. He kept sleeping at Maxhell HQ til the wedding night.

Oh, yes, you're right! I'd forgotten that tidbit. At 32 years old. Oy.

Of course. She's basically part of the collection anyway. In Maxhell a woman is basically a live body with a job to do. She doesn't get to have an opinion about whether or notto get pizza. Why would she get to have any say about the way the house is decorated?

Of course. She's basically part of the collection anyway. In Maxhell a woman is basically a live body with a job to do. She doesn't get to have an opinion about whether or notto get pizza. Why would she get to have any say about the way the house is decorated?

Well, and his house was decorated and remodeled for another woman. Yeah, that wouldn't go over very well with me.

I think that would be the least of your problems.

Yes, but it is ultimately part of the larger problem at hand. The lack of ability for the woman to add some personal touches to the home says how little regard the Maxwells have for women. Yes, it is a smaller problem than the never being allowed out unaccompanied or not being able to live alone, or being treated as a child until they are married, but it is still a contribution to the slave/prisoner status of these women. And before anyone says anything about me calling them slaves, yes they are. They are forced to follow their parents's every command (with a smile on their face, or else) and are prohibited from leaving their respective compounds and the control of their husbands/fathers/brothers unless they run away to a women's shelter. And even then, they have to know those exist and where to find them. Many of these girls are so brainwashed, they have no clue that they do not have to follow anyone's orders but their own. They do not know that they have personal rights and that what they think matters. So yes, the decoration thing IS a huge problem.

Yes, that's very true. It's not the house, it's the mindset behind it.

Yes, but it is ultimately part of the larger problem at hand. The lack of ability for the woman to add some personal touches to the home says how little regard the Maxwells have for women. Yes, it is a smaller problem than the never being allowed out unaccompanied or not being able to live alone, or being treated as a child until they are married, but it is still a contribution to the slave/prisoner status of these women. And before anyone says anything about me calling them slaves, yes they are. They are forced to follow their parents's every command (with a smile on their face, or else) and are prohibited from leaving their respective compounds and the control of their husbands/fathers/brothers unless they run away to a women's shelter. And even then, they have to know those exist and where to find them. Many of these girls are so brainwashed, they have no clue that they do not have to follow anyone's orders but their own. They do not know that they have personal rights and that what they think matters. So yes, the decoration thing IS a huge problem.

I do think that is a massive assumption. No where has this really been stated or demonstrated. We have no idea about Nathan and Melanie and who chose what; Christopher and Anna moved into the old house without doing much to it and Joseph and Elizabeth chose things together for that house. So where is your proof that the women have the lack of ability to add personal touches to the home? Joseph is finishing a house he started with another woman and yes, any future wife will have to live there. But it is not like he afford just to dispose of it and start over; we have no idea if he will repaint for a new wife.

There is plenty of real stuff to bother us about the Maxwells.

I wonder about their clothes. Do the wives have to consult their husbands before they buy anything? Or what about china and silverware? Pots and pans? If NRAnna needs a new plastic spatula, can she just go buy one?

That goes for menus as well. I'm sure women coming into the family must have their own favorite dishes to make but I am guessing the Maxhell boys are difficult to cook for because they have been raised with such limited palates. Who decides the weekly grocery budget and do they ever get to splurge? Are they open to trying new dishes? Which also leads me to wonder if a woman married into the family and started to gain weight. What would happen then? So many questions arise in my mind when I try to imagine Steve as a Father-in-law and what kind of power and influence he wields over the married offspring.

A brand new Maxwell post is up. Steve and Joshua in matching overalls is just about too much to handle.

I wonder about their clothes. Do the wives have to consult their husbands before they buy anything? Or what about china and silverware? Pots and pans? If NRAnna needs a new plastic spatula, can she just go buy one?

That goes for menus as well. I'm sure women coming into the family must have their own favorite dishes to make but I am guessing the Maxhell boys are difficult to cook for because they have been raised with such limited palates. Who decides the weekly grocery budget and do they ever get to splurge? Are they open to trying new dishes? Which also leads me to wonder if a woman married into the family and started to gain weight. What would happen then? So many questions arise in my mind when I try to imagine Steve as a Father-in-law and what kind of power and influence he wields over the married offspring.

The husbands probably demands a meal before he wakes up. I'm sure the wives have to get everything approved by their husbands.

A brand new Maxwell post is up. Steve and Joshua in matching overalls is just about too much to handle.

The beard makes Steve look old.

The beard makes Steve look old.

Not to mention creepy... It's really weird how they've decided to grow beards "as a family", that they have matching outfits most of the time "as a family". Is anyone there allowed to develop a personality?

Not to mention creepy... It's really weird how they've decided to grow beards "as a family", that they have matching outfits most of the time "as a family". Is anyone there allowed to develop a personality?

No!

Archived