IGNORED

Jill Duggar and Derick Dillard Engaged! - Part 2

happy atheist

Earthshine, good call about Josh's random trip to Israel a few months back. I think he was checking out his future brother in law.

I'm not so sure. I perused Derick's facebook friends and Smuggar isn't one of them (or wasn't as of last week). You'd think one would have a public friendship with a travel companion. Smugs is friends with Ben, so there's that.

Has anyone got dibs on Blush and Bashful? TLC will be footing the bill...this is going to be a mega-church blowout! I see girly summer pink everywhere! I mean, this is the girl who is still wearing annoying flowers in her hair at 22 years of age. I hope it's not like the Mullet and we are stuck looking at a flower attached to Jill's head because the Headship likes it, even while she pops out babies on camera for TLC VSEs.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that all the kids know they don't have to follow and have 19. And I'm sure most (if not all) will stay away from double digits.

Speaking of. Could you imagine if all of them even just had 10? 190 grand children for Michelle and JB? Each kid had 180 nieces and nephews on one side of the family? Imagine the wedding size necessary just for the younger kids to invite family. They definitely wouldn't have family reunions often. Maybe their buddy groups will become their "after 19kac" family.

What on earth makes you think that? All the ATI weddings I've ever seen include a vow about leaving family size up to god, and they think hormonal contraception is abortion and barrier/NFP is rejecting blessings from God. I don't see any of the Duggars who marry before their mid twenties getting away with under 10 kids.

But is this going to be a hardcore ATI wedding with Boob downplaying Gothard ("we follow the Bible, not a man")? I am sticking with my mega-church prediction. Will their pastor (likely Southern Baptist) be a co-officiant with Boob? Will Jill get the speech Gothard gave to Anna, Prissy, and the Mueller girls (that we've seen...sure there are a thousand more)?

Pity this won't be livestreamed, so we're only going to get snippets of whatever bloggers put on their sites before TLC airs the sanitized version.

Blush and Bashful! :dance:

So isn't this Derick Dillard guy not fundie enough for the Duggars? Is he considered a really awesome catch because he went to a real university, got a real degree and has a "real" job (aka accountant)? Or is he looked upon as a fundie-lite sliding a bit too the left too much but still theologically acceptable? From a financial standpoint, I can only imagine that Derick is considered good husband material: solid provider, well-versed in fundie-speak, treats the girl well in courtship. Someone like him could also pull the more fundie wife slightly into the mainstream. If Derick's mom went to college, and Derick went to college, it's an encouraging sign that he won't restrict his children's education. If he decides to homeschool, what will he make of Jill's education credentials? What's going to happen if he finds Jill seriously deficient in teaching beyond the 4th grade?

Well, regardless, this is the type of guy that I hope some of these fringe fundies could find. Someone like Sarah Maxwell could benefit so much from him! He could take you away from the family cult and offer you a glimpse of the opportunities available out in the world.

Well, at least a Duggar girl will get that glimpse.

It's probably just for skiing. The duggar girls don't seem adverse to wearing pants during recreational activities that call for it. And as we've seen with anna, skirts and skiing are a bad combo!

why do people think that Jana liked Chad Paine? Did I miss something?

My bet is on late August, early September for Jill's wedding and that it will be a big one with loads of things to prepare, therefore not June or July. I'm so happy for Jill Dill.

why do people think that Jana liked Chad Paine? Did I miss something?

My bet is on late August, early September for Jill's wedding and that it will be a big one with loads of things to prepare, therefore not June or July. I'm so happy for Jill Dill.

When is Alyssa's wedding? It can't be too near that, lots of the same crowd will be attending (and I'm betting on at least one Bates bridesmaid for Jill).

I don't know why people think Jana was into Chad, except that people seem to think he's the ATI catch of that generation for some reason.

Good for them. I hope she is able to continue to peruse her midwifery, and maybe just maybe get qualifications from a real school or nursing program.

Speaking of totally off topic health stuff.. One of the kids in the skating class I teach sneezed directly in my face while I was tying his skates. Now my throat is scratchy. Is 8 hours enough time to incubate a cold or am I just being paranoid?

I'm really happy for them because they look so happy.

Jill has been my favorite Duggar for a long time. She has always seemed so GENUINELY kind and caring. I often feel that the others (cough, Michelle) are not that nice behind the scenes, but I get the impression that Jill would truly be the type of person to accept or help anyone in need. Awhile ago on here someone who was a former fundy posted that often it's the people who seem to have drunk the most Kool-Aid who end up leaving and sometimes they are drinking more and more of the Kool-Aid to try to justify staying to themselves/"strengthen their faith". I definitely thought of Jill, not only because she has seemed the most fundy, but because she was also the one most serious about pursuing education/a career after high school (even a fundy-approved, pre-marriage career is a lot for a Duggar woman and I get the feeling she actually works more than Josh does lol) and seemed to hold on to goals and her own interests (missions). I think there's a spark there and I could totally see her "playing the system" or at least, having the confidence and feelings of self-worth to hold out for a guy who would share her vision.

ETA: I also love that she is not acting meek and submissive around him.

All right, let's do some math here. Jill will turn 23 in just over a month, and from the sounds of things it will still be 2-3 months after that that she will be married. So even if she gets knocked up on the honeymoon that puts her giving birth to their first sprog right around her 24th birthday. When Michelle turned 24 she had three small children and was already pregnant with Jill. That means that Jill, assuming she's as fertile as her mother, could potentially have....15 pregnancies/children. And that is not taking into account that Jill is a woman born to a woman who naturally conceived fraternal twins - twice. Her odds of conceiving twins herself are that much higher.

Fuck.

See, this is why I can't jump on the "oh, poor single Jana" train. Poor Jana? NO! LUCKY Jana! Jana, you stay single and childfree for as long as possible. Every 12 months you age is one less child you'll have to take care of. You've already been doing it long enough.

The suggestion that Jill and Derick will try to limit the amount of children they have is, frankly, laughable. Remember, to these people doing ANYTHING to prevent a pregnancy is an automatic ticket to Hell. Derick most likely doesn't have quite such extreme views but I doubt he'll be using condoms, something Jill would definitely NOT be okay with. The most he could hope for to limit their family size is figure out Jill's cycle and avoid the sexy times those few days a month. Not full proof, but better than nothing.

Basically, they're going to end up with a shitton of kids and I hope they start saving all the money they make from the show now so they don't end up like Anna's sister and brother-in-law in 10 years. Living in a camper tent, trying to be missionaries, 8 kids under 10 and another on the way. It could happen...

I wish I could be happier for them because they are a cute couple and do look happy, but they only met in person five months ago and have been dating since then. At five months into my relationship with my first boyfriend ever I looked a hell of a lot like Jill does in their photos. Once it got to a year and a half though....Well, let's just say I'm glad I'm not a member of a cult that expected me to marry my first boyfriend ever. But I guess this is it for Jill since divorce is not an option, ever (because HELL)!

Speaking of which, she's already using his last name on her social media accounts, really? For one thing, I'm pretty damn sure nearly all forms of social media let you change your name (wasn't Anna originally mackhoweverthefucktheyspellhername'smom and now just annaduggar on instagram?). For another, it's just really sad to me that these women lose their entire identities upon marriage. Or in this case engagement. I guess for the most part they don't have much that makes them standout as individuals from the crowd (though Jill really does compared to her sisters) and for them marriage and babies are the ultimate goal so they can't wait until they get to change their name. I suppose that's something I never bought into, even in completely secular marriages. To quote the amazing Lisa Simpson: "If I choose to get married, I'm keeping my own name!"

One last thought: Diamond engagement rings are a huge scam. That said, if I were Jill, I wouldn't even take her "small" rock overseas on mission trips, even though the diamond itself intrinsically worthless.

N5kWu1ifBGU

Those are all excellent points, jakesykora! She would want something 'lower profile' for her work in midwifery (I imagine lots of latex gloves changes!) and for (hopefully) time spent abroad.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's pretty much impossible to wear a ring under (well-fitting) latex gloves, ESPECIALLY if it has any sort of stone on it. The latex glove would rip upon putting them on or very soon after. Latex gloves need a snug fit to ensure that you don't lose sensibility in your hands/fingers for medical work, and the way it looks, that stone has some sharp edges. Also, even if the gloves last, you really dont want to end up digging around in messy, bloody latex gloves because your ring got stuck in them when you pulled them off (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt - BAH!).

Personally, I will go with the explanation that appeals the most to me: It's JUST an engagement ring (maybe the wedding ring will be serious bling), he made it himself and that alone is worth more than any expensive, fancy ring, and, last but not least, Jill does not seem like the girl who has a major love for serious bling-bling anywhere on her body. And frankly, it IS a beautiful ring. What more can a girl want? :D

I can't help but wonder where Dill's wedding is going to take place. Springdale area for sure, but will they find a church that Boob approves of that is not his Church of the Holy Basement? And is Derrick going to conform to Boob's and Mullet's "higher" standards of No Dancing, No Booze and No Fun reception? Will Derrick/his family insist on some leniency in these matters? I really want to see this happening, but I somehow doubt we'll see anything but a cookie-cutter fundie wedding.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here is a pic of Jinger in pants. http://i.imgur.com/UPulDxd.jpg?1%3F3967

I wonder if the Duggar's wear pants around the house when they aren't being filmed.

Why wouldn't they had worn pants when rock wall climbing or hiking or Jinger's work-out pants when participating in that race??? Happy to see they may have turned a good leaf---dress appropriately for the activity!!! WTG Jill and Jinger :cracking-up:

What on earth makes you think that? All the ATI weddings I've ever seen include a vow about leaving family size up to god, and they think hormonal contraception is abortion and barrier/NFP is rejecting blessings from God. I don't see any of the Duggars who marry before their mid twenties getting away with under 10 kids.

Considering the fact that there are MANY more families in ATI that don't break the double digits than there are that do, I'm going to say that most people find a way around those beliefs.

Plus, you're assuming that the kids will tow the ATI line. Once they leave JB's authority, there's nothing requiring them to do so. You're also assuming that that's even what JB wants. Only one of the three courtships was with an ATI child, and that was back when they were super into ATI's teachings. Now they aren't as into it. And, I'm pretty sure that they've given up on "leaving it up to god" themselves.

Where do you get that they are less into ATI's teachings? The girls' book is one long tribute to Gothard's teachings. Maybe they are trying to distance themsevles publically now to disassociate themselves from the scandal, but I don't think we've really seen anything that indicates that they are going to encourage their children to plan their families.

I do admit that their engagement announcement video was very sweet and made me tear up a little.

Jill is so cute. Especially in pants. I can hardly stand it.

I have some serious hope for her and a conversion to fundie-lite.

It's probably just for skiing. The duggar girls don't seem adverse to wearing pants during recreational activities that call for it. And as we've seen with anna, skirts and skiing are a bad combo!

It looks like they are sledding, not skiing. Pants would still be better than a skirt though.

I'm really happy for them because they look so happy.

Jill has been my favorite Duggar for a long time. She has always seemed so GENUINELY kind and caring. I often feel that the others (cough, Michelle) are not that nice behind the scenes, but I get the impression that Jill would truly be the type of person to accept or help anyone in need. Awhile ago on here someone who was a former fundy posted that often it's the people who seem to have drunk the most Kool-Aid who end up leaving and sometimes they are drinking more and more of the Kool-Aid to try to justify staying to themselves/"strengthen their faith". I definitely thought of Jill, not only because she has seemed the most fundy, but because she was also the one most serious about pursuing education/a career after high school (even a fundy-approved, pre-marriage career is a lot for a Duggar woman and I get the feeling she actually works more than Josh does lol) and seemed to hold on to goals and her own interests (missions). I think there's a spark there and I could totally see her "playing the system" or at least, having the confidence and feelings of self-worth to hold out for a guy who would share her vision.

ETA: I also love that she is not acting meek and submissive around him.

I posted about that. If someone else did, I missed it. I was never a fundy, but taught for six years in a private Christian school with kids who were seriously fundy, "radically" fundy lite, everything conceivably in between that and a few not so religious whose parents thought a small, private high school would offer a better environment and education.

Some of the most kool-aid drinking kids I taught there are not religious at all anymore.

Exhibit A: J was "on fire" for God. Her junior year, she began carrying around a copy of "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" to encourage other students to ask her about it. She campaigned to ban students from coupling up for the homecoming and pseudo-prom "banquets" (no dancing). While she didn't entirely succeed, they did get rid of the $12 per person/$20 per couple pricing of tickets to help discourage dates. She was at her church the majority of time that she was not at school. She decided not to go to college so she could go to an intense spiritual training program in her Assembly of God church (called Master's Commission, google it, it is rather cult like). She cut herself off from her formerly Catholic father (parents were divorced) because he was not "saved". She felt bad for her mother who only had two children and thus wasted her true calling to "mother children in to the faith". She lectured me, her single female teacher age early 20s, about being too independent and needing a church or a man to submit to. She was the first kid to get up at chapel testimony time and explain to all the others that they were not holy enough. In short, she was absolutely obnoxious. Somehow, I loved this one anyway and saw potential in this one. If she could just find some balance, I thought. She had none.

Where is J today? The fun part of Facebook for me has been that I have been able to be in touch with some of these kids. J is married to a man she lived with for two years first. They do not attend church. She works part time at Whole Foods and is a crunchy, hippie liberal. They have one adorable child and she recently answered someone's question about having more by saying she thinks one is probably enough. She feels that she was obnoxious and misguided in high school and her early 20s. She regrets wasting the time when she could have pursued an education past high school.

Exhibit B: C was Mr. Perfect Christian. C sometimes raised his hand in class and quoted Bible verses as an argument about something (I was never sure what. It never made much sense). C once wrote an entire essay on a history test for me about how history didn't matter as all that really mattered is what we knew about Jesus and our relationship with him. C won the "Dove Award" (which several cynical teachers called the "Best Christian" award or the "Most Arrogant Kid" award--given to one boy and one girl in each class) four years in a row. C would have been the first up at testimony time in chapel but J always beat him to the microphone. C famously confronted his younger brother in the middle of lunch one day for flirting too much with girls while eating. His parents would talk at conferences about how amazing C was and how they feared what would become of his rebellious younger brother (we'll call him D), who was not rebellious at all by normal standards.

Where is C today? He is on the East Coast, last time I knew, working in fashion and living with his male partner. D, the rebel, meanwhile, is in the same city he grew up in, married to a good girl from high school, part of a "church plant" and has four kids.

Parents actually need to watch out most for the kids who guzzle their religious kool-aid.

Archived