IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

IIRC Ben and Jessa started their courtship in september, Derrick and Jill have been courting since november

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. It just struck me as odd that a twenty four year old adult would eagerly want to do a talent show for their parents. It comes off as rather juvenile, IMO. Helping the younger ones do this? Sure, but I do not think that is angle she was going for. All the kids will be involved and actively participate in the show. All fifty billion of them.

I heard talent show and my mind went straight to a Brady Bunch episode. Wonder if Josh will be Johnny Bravo? :lol:

:nothing:

IIRC Ben and Jessa started their courtship in september, Derrick and Jill have been courting since november

I hope Ben and Jessa do wait a bit longer. He is only 18 - there is plenty of time.

A Duggar fan called out Jim Bob and Michelle for not being modest on the Duggarfam instagram. Its on the pic of Jill flashing the ring.

A Duggar fan called out Jim Bob and Michelle for not being modest on the Duggarfam instagram. Its on the pic of Jill flashing the ring.

There was this

post-9860-14451998780807_thumb.jpg

Jim Bob & Michelle's antics have reached new heights of idiocy this season. They were absolutely obnoxious last episode. How, pray tell, is it modest to ask your wife if you're turning her on and then start dry humping her on a golf course in front of your daughter and her boyfriend? HOW IS THAT MODEST?

Unrelated note, but my mind is always boggled when Jessa is criticized for being cold, or Jill for talking too much. Posters on FJ are always ranting about gender stereotypes, but when these fundie women break the stereotypes they're criticized for not displaying traits that are considered traditionally feminine? Really? I'm glad Jessa is free to be her more reserved self, and Jill is free to be her more talkative self. If they all had the exact same personality something would be very wrong. One thing that bugs me about the Bateses is that their courtship/engagement proposals are all in the exact same style, over-the-top and sickeningly sappy. God forbid you (like Jessa) were totally not into that...

I don't think that Jessa has to be like the Bateses and I certainly don't believe she needs to simper like Anna. Perhaps it is for the camera but I still contend she is cold. She reminds me of David Waller and his comments on the Valentine's Day video... and people certainly had enough to say about that.

This. We also use "Mr., Ms., and Mrs." in front of first names. It's just how we were raised.

Here too. I called my Mothers neighbor, a widowed woman Miss Imogene my whole life. She's passed on now, but I still refer to her in that way.

I was born and bred Southern, and remember being told NO MA'AM when I was being sassy as a kid but never told to INSTANTLY OBEY. When Joy said that last night I shuddered a little. (Not that I think Joy would beat them, but it was almost an echo from the past-I could totally see Mullet saying it and backing it up!) How creepy and controlling is that? Not surprised it stems from the Pearls.

I was actually glad the kiddies ignored that command... I hope they weren't punished harshly for it later, after the cameras had left!

I loved when Jill was telling her parents that she and Derick were so much alike, and that they both planned on living out of the country someday. Girl's got her plan in place for jumping ship from the family and the country!

Free Jill!

This makes my heart ache for Jenny (not that I place any of the blame on Jill since she shouldn't have been Jenny's 'mom' in the first place)...But Jenny is my daughter's age and they even look alike so it makes me want to adopt her and show her what a real mom's love and attention looks like. I doubt the Duggars' would even notice she was missing since last night was practically the first time she had even been mentioned since her birth announcement.

Episode 2 part 2

He then attacks michelle, sucks her face and says "hey, did that turn you on?" He then picks her up. Michelle TH: "This is what you have to look forward to but you cant do this yet" in a baby "neener neener" voice.

/quote]

What a nasty, disgusting pig.

Modesty?? I was so sickened by that display. Do people think that's funny????

I don't think that Jessa has to be like the Bateses and I certainly don't believe she needs to simper like Anna. Perhaps it is for the camera but I still contend she is cold. She reminds me of David Waller and his comments on the Valentine's Day video... and people certainly had enough to say about that.

I think Jessa comes off as cold, but I also think a lot of that might be because there is an audience. I am in my mid-30s and still won't show affection if other people are around, and especially not my parents! In private I act normally. I can't imagine being so young and having to experience my first relationship with my parents, camera crews, and the Today Show all watching! I'd be cold, too.

By the way, Ben's mom reminds me of Pricilla Waller. Same vacant stare, same dull smiling expression. I am sure she is a nice woman but I just can't help and think 'empty' when I see her.

I don't so much see her as cold, I see her behavior as reserved.

It must be extremely awkward to have been isolated the way they have been and now suddenly here's this boy and she's with him as the center of attention. She's always been in a pack, but now the attention is focused right on her and this kid who is essentially a stranger to her.

I'd be reserved, too!

Anyone watching the rerun that is on right now? 1:30 eastern time... They edited out the "she's a little preemie" from the Josie 9-11 seizure call (when Mullet and the Boob went to El Salvador, cause gawd knows that's more important than a sickly premature baby...)

Season 7 episode 2...

I'm not defending the Duggar's (lack) of discipline or their reprehensible parenting, but the bolded may just be a southern thing. I'm a huge fan of positive parenting and couldn't imagine ever spanking my kids at all, but we do live in the south and I do teach my kids to address adults as Ma'am and Sir.**

Because that is part of our everyday vocabulary, sometimes when when I'm reminding them about some other form of polite behavior it is not uncommon for me to say to them "No Ma'am! You know we don't jump on the couch like that!" Actually, I usually don't even have to add the second part - a simple "no ma'am" lets them know that whatever they're doing isn't appropriate.

I'd hate to think someone who heard me say that in public would think I was following some kind of Pearlesque crap, but I guess they might if we were travelling or they "warn't from around here." :D

**I know it can sound odd to those in other places, and I'm not interested in stirring up that debate, but around here other adults - especially older ones - find it much more polite and there's no harm done, IMO. I'm not trying to teach them any sort of subservient behavior, just that these are the social norms and they should follow them in polite society as long as it isn't hurting them or anyone else. I'm in my 40's and call older adults I don't know well Ma'am and Sir.

As a first time poster I really tried to cover my bases to make sure that I wouldn't be misunderstood. I shouldn't have followed the "instantly obey" observation with the "no, sir" observation because they really didn't belong to the same thought. Yes, I thought the former was Pearlesque but the latter was just an observation. Where I'm from, "yes, sir" and "no, sir" aren't seen as much polite as they are almost sarcastic. I just get really excited when I hear people use it in a polite context and I couldn't help but comment. :lol:

Carry on, I'm sure there will be many more misunderstandings to come. :D

I think we can all agree that it is a southern thing--no Pearlisms intended. I'm southern & often say "sir" and "ma'am" --esp. when I'm with Members of Congress here at work--and often answer the phone that way (with caller ID). An African-American southern colleague whose office is near mine does the same thing. But if either of us say yes/no ma'am/sir in a very exaggerated fashion or even say "yassum" --then absolutely, we are being sarcastic! : )

Anna is by far my least favorite to watch. At least Boob is acting like an idiot in front of other people, which is moderately entertaining. Anna is just doing normal housewife stuff, and not very well. She is so dull that at least I know Smuggar won't be getting a spinoff. She is just always so flat and vacant and her BABY VOICE DRIVES ME INSANE.

I don't so much see her as cold, I see her behavior as reserved.

It must be extremely awkward to have been isolated the way they have been and now suddenly here's this boy and she's with him as the center of attention. She's always been in a pack, but now the attention is focused right on her and this kid who is essentially a stranger to her.

I'd be reserved, too!

This. I've been reading Jessa this way, too. Think back to last week - she was very "glowy" talking about Ben. The girl was absolutely radiant.

My take on it ... along with her being reserved ... is that they're already engaged, but have to essentially lie for TV. That can't sit well, either...for a young couple brought up with such strict moral guidelines. To want to be happy about where you are in your relationship, but to have to play it differently for TV timelines. Especially if playing it differently means different levels of physical contact! If they're engaged & playing at 'a courtin', they might be missing out on some public displays of Hot Hand Action!

Ok, I'm partly being cute, but deceiving people for TV timelines still might be at work here.

Can I also say I'm kinda in awe of Jill for following her heart to freakin' Kathmandu?!

Apropos of almost nothing except, I'm glad they're barely even fronting the "buy used, save the diff" crap on us now that they've got oodles of TLC cash. That playhouse box was brand new & it sells for $259!(http://www.step2.com/p/My-Clubhouse)

And that wasn't an Aldi with a souped up shopping cart for l'il Jenny to ride in style...

I thinks it's pretty obvious that the playhouse building was product placement, so they didn't have to pay the $259, but a bunch of people now know what brand of fun playhouse they can buy for themselves. And assemble as a family project with one adult and a couple of cute toddler helpers in a couple of hours, while taking care of a baby.

As far as advertising goes it seemed very effective.

When Michelle & Boob hump on national TV and mock their children, I am reminded of Ephesians 5:4:

"Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes--these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God."

Anna is by far my least favorite to watch. At least Boob is acting like an idiot in front of other people, which is moderately entertaining. Anna is just doing normal housewife stuff, and not very well. She is so dull that at least I know Smuggar won't be getting a spinoff. She is just always so flat and vacant and her BABY VOICE DRIVES ME INSANE.

Also, her grammar is atrocious.

I noticed that during the scene where Jill is looking up pickle recipes on the computer, there was some sort of official looking document with a seal in a frame on the counter. Does anyone have any idea what it is? It's obviously not a diploma or a degree... :?

Has anyone sent this yet? So awkward.

That's really old. Josie still has the fake pigtails and Smuganna only have Mack.

I was going to ask if the Play House was product placement--there was another one a few years back that iirc Jon/Kate also got. Its the show where Jackson was playing in the house wearing an apron. Don't think that house was ever seen again, but I could be wrong.

I think I said this before, but PLEASE GOD no big Moonie-style uber-wedding of umpteen Duggars marrying at one time for big ratings to be followed by the baby-a-thon

Archived