IGNORED

Why Ken Alexander is really on FJ

That's fascinating. The NCC didn't begin until 1950 though did it?

You're right-- I was assuming this was an NCC publication because of a page in the back on the Commission on Marriage and the Home, but now that I look more clearly it was self-published. (It looks as if CMH might have been a project of the Federal Council of Churches before the NCC came to exist?)

At any rate, Google Books suggests the book was initially published in 1931: http://books.google.com/books/about/The ... BMkgAACAAJ

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My aunt has some monastic writing. Among them are Theophan the Recluse "On Raising Children" and a Greek monk writing advice to mothers in the 1920s (name escapes me right now). Keep in mind they had no biological children and were writing before theories of modern child development were known.

Their advice? Ignore bad behavior wherever safety is not an issue and it will go away faster. Don't yell because it does damage to the mother-child bond when used for anything but an emergency. Talk to them and explain why a particular behavior is inappropriate, tracing them to use the Golden Rule as a compass. Avoid physical discipline. Pray for them unceasingly.....

What they discouraged was hitting, yelling, and having onerous rules. Kindness and love were to be chosen over domination and power. So spare me the literal interpretation of Proverbs. Different branches of Christianity have rejected that as a child rearing technique for a long time.

It ought to embarrass people that have carried a child

around for 9 months or watched their spouse do it that they are so quick to use physical violence, when people with no children but greater insight into human nature AND scriptures warn of how damaging parental domination is.

Thanks. That sounds much more likely.

Obviously not the booklet my grandmother used to fuss about. :)

Did she threaten to sue Google?

"Please remedy ASAP or we will pursue legal action"

:lol: I'm 100% sure that Google doesn't care. And the attempt to manipulate Google crawler with Lori is a Monster was pretty half-hearted wasn't it? Doug Phillips is a Tool was a much bigger thing and it still didn't seem to work that well.

And at which point did google give a good god-damn about Litigious Lori and Kunty Ken?

Pretty sure everyone here has compassion for Lori's medical challenges

All except breaking her toe while trying to kick the cat. She was deliberately trying to kick an animal. Nope, no sympathy or compassion from me on that one.

I immediately thought of Ken and Lori when I read this story:

tmz.com/2014/03/19/mase-divorce-twyla-betha-pastors-el-elyon-church/

It pains me to no end that you all make fun of, castigate, spew profanity at, and try to harm with your Google tactics a woman, yes, one of you, who has lived with chronic illnesses and and two brain tumor operations. A human being who has been through such pain and misery in life, you want to destroy further. Is there no shame anymore?

And to the ones who figured out why I am on FJ... I have a few reasons, not just one. Did you expect me to just ignore the F Bomb with the manipulation of the Google Crawler? Yes, Curious, clear manipulation. I have seen businesses which have been sanctioned by Google for similar behavior.

Ken - I haven't read most of this thread yet, but I see you are here and wanted to ask you a question that keeps getting lost on other threads (largely due to our time difference I think)

lilith wrote:

Ken - I asked this earlier, but my post has been lost in the thread.

What are your hopes for your daughters regarding family planning? I understand that any decision is between them and their husbands, but I am curious about what your personal wishes for them are.

I ask because more than once Lori has characterised the use of contraceptives as selfish and advised against using them, strictures that she didn't apply to herself due to her health issues. I assume she has shared those views with your daughters, but I'm more interested in your personal hopes

Ken - I really don't want this to keep getting lost and buried.

It pains me to no end that you all make fun of, castigate, spew profanity at, and try to harm with your Google tactics a woman, yes, one of you, who has lived with chronic illnesses and and two brain tumor operations. A human being who has been through such pain and misery in life, you want to destroy further. Is there no shame anymore?

And to the ones who figured out why I am on FJ... I have a few reasons, not just one. Did you expect me to just ignore the F Bomb with the manipulation of the Google Crawler? Yes, Curious, clear manipulation. I have seen businesses which have been sanctioned by Google for similar behavior.

I make a motion to have "Harms with Google Tactics" a new level up.

Ken - I haven't read most of this thread yet, but I see you are here and wanted to ask you a question that keeps getting lost on other threads (largely due to our time difference I think)

Ken - I really don't want this to keep getting lost and buried.

Four children each would be great, or as many as they would like to have.

What's a Google tactic?

How has your wife been harmed?

I make a motion to have "Harms with Google Tactics" a new level up.[/quote

I second that motion!

What do you hope to achieve with this lament, a fruit basket?

Ken, you are making me laugh. I work in the IT field, so do other members. You trying to school us in the ways of Google Crawler is as laughable as us schooling you in dentistry. Also, we know why people like you come here. You haven't fooled anybody. What you fail to realize and won't accept is that Lori's words and yours are biting you on the ass. If your good name has been sullied it's your on damn fault.

Your wife has spent plenty of time making fun of, castigating, and trying to harm other women with chronic illness who don't put out enough for their husbands, all people with chronic illness who can't afford healthcare, working women, women in egalitarian marriages, single parents, stay at home fathers, women who pursue higher education, women who use contraception, LGBT people, children, dogs, cats, and babies. She has in fact left few categories of mammal un targeted. Plank in the eye Ken, plank in the eye....

Your wife has spent plenty of time making fun of, castigating, and trying to harm other women with chronic illness who don't put out enough for their husbands, all people with chronic illness who can't afford healthcare, working women, women in egalitarian marriages, single parents, stay at home fathers, women who pursue higher education, women who use contraception, LGBT people, children, dogs, cats, and babies. She has in fact left few categories of mammal un targeted. Plank in the eye Ken, plank in the eye....

This! Liking it was not enough. This! A million times this!

Latraviata, that caused me to laugh so loud I startled the dog!

Four children each would be great, or as many as they would like to have.

In that case, do you try to balance their mother's extremist views when talking to them about family planning? Do you tell them that you don't consider taking birth control to be selfish? Because those words, coming from their mother, must make family planning a more complex and emotionally fraught decision for them than it is for most young married couples, Christian or not.

Indeed meda, indeed.

The bolded though anybody else feel like this? :lol:

5vad8y.jpg

Or this? (Could NOT resist.)

294l27p.jpg

Here's the deal, Ken: Yes, she's had to cope with a lot of pain and suffering, and the terrifying prospect of brain surgery. But that does not grant her a free pass to say whatever she likes on her public blog without being challenged on it, or having her blog posts discussed and criticized. Being sick does not make her an innocent or a martyr, or render her above criticism.

Chronic illness, as stressful as it may be, does not give one a free pass to insult and castigate others, or offer potentially harmful advice, or advocate for child abuse--as Lori has done, and continues to do. As stressful as all this has been for her (and I have no doubt it has been) she is still a grown woman, in control of her own actions, who knows the basic rules of interacting with other people. She is sick, she is unhappy, but she is not mentally incompetent. If you died tomorrow, she would be considered perfectly capable of handling her own affairs--nobody would reasonably be able to question that.

So she is responsible for her own words and actions. If she lashes out while feeling lousy and behaves badly, it's on her to apologize, ask forgiveness, and make amends. If she says something offensive, and others call her on it, it's up to her to face that her words were offensive head-on. Sickness, stress, and surgery may be partly to blame, but a decent human being should, at rock bottom, know better.

And if she can't handle open discussion of the contents of her public blog, and the negative opinions others form of her through her writings, then she needs to take responsibility for that, too. Because if you want to write about controversial subjects on a public blog, and dispense non-mainstream lifestyle advice, and make angry posts against a segment of the population you dislike, then you'd better be ready for people to disagree with you--and strongly. If you can't handle the consequences, then you need to seriously reconsider publicly blogging. Nobody's going to say, "Oh, she's sick and probably isn't herself. We'll overlook the fact that she rails hatefully against feminists and working mothers, or advocates beating fearful obedience into small children." No. It does not work that way, nor should it.

My wife is partial to fruit and anything healthy, but chocolate covered pretzels would be my choice. They make some really great gourmet ones if you could all chip in for me. Thanks!

Ken wrote:

I thought she was fine Ken? I have a certain measure of sympathy for her, as much as that surprises even me, but she has not shown a modicum of grace, sympathy or empathy to anyone who doesn't hold her twisted scriptural belief. Neither have you for that matter. You talk a good game and present a veneer of understanding but you always let your true colors show. Look at what you have said about us. Look at what you said just today about Latraviata's deceased son.

Either she is impaired by her tumor or she isn't. I personally think she is impaired and as such it is totally irresponsible for her to even try to give advice online but you seem to disagree. You can't say she is fine and then pretend she is a delicate little flower. You really can't do it when she spews 30 kinds of bile about women like me, my mother, my grandmother and my great-grandmother. She may put a different spin on her language but she is every bit as venomous as any of us, more really. At least my venom is headed in a singular direction, hers is spewing like a fire hose in every direction. You want me, all of really, to back off then there are a couple of simple options. You can be the big headship you think you are and pull the plug on Lori's little hobby, or mission, or great wisdom pedaling endeavor because you need to protect your delicate little flower of a wife from the meanies on the internet. Or you can have her set her blog to private invited readers only. I vote for the first. But if she truly stands behind what falls out of her head and onto the page then she needs to put on her big girl panties and deal with the reaction of the wider world.

So in closing Ken, fuck you. And your monster of a fucking wife. But really mostly just fuck you.

You know what? I take great exception to this, Ken. Yes, she is a woman. In that regard, yes, we are the same, in that we both have a XX set of chromosomes. But that is where the similarities between us end in an abrupt way. I've given my life to protecting children, to protecting women who have been the victims of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse, to protecting men, women, and children who have undergone spiritual abuse. I have never, and will never, hit a child and suggest to others that they not only do the same, but that they aren't obeying God when they do not. I will never force feed a child. I will never make a child feel badly about his or her weight. I will never kick or hit an animal. I will never advocate for women to be submissive to anyone, let alone their husbands. I will never tell another woman not to use contraception, or tell her that she must stay home with her children in order to be a 'Godly' woman. I think women going to university to pursue higher education is a FANTASTIC thing. I support women in the workplace and think that they can do just as good a job as a man and in some cases, a better job. I will never tell a woman to stay in a marriage when she feels she is being verbally abused. I will never be an advocate for the repeal of women's suffrage or marital rape laws. The list goes on and on. So, yes, Lori and I are both women. We're both wives. But that is where the similarities end. I feel absolutely no camaraderie with her in any way shape or form, and frankly, that makes me very happy. And dare I be so bold as to say that I think my little list is true of the great majority of FJ women--who are proud to be nothing at all like Lori Alexander.

You know what? I take great exception to this, Ken. Yes, she is a woman. In that regard, yes, we are the same, in that we both have a XX set of chromosomes. But that is where the similarities between us end in an abrupt way. I've given my life to protecting children, to protecting women who have been the victims of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse, to protecting men, women, and children who have undergone spiritual abuse. I have never, and will never, hit a child and suggest to others that they not only do the same, but that they aren't obeying God when they do not. I will never force feed a child. I will never make a child feel badly about his or her weight. I will never kick or hit an animal. I will never advocate for women to be submissive to anyone, let alone their husbands. I will never tell another woman not to use contraception, or tell her that she must stay home with her children in order to be a 'Godly' woman. I think women going to university to pursue higher education is a FANTASTIC thing. I support women in the workplace and think that they can do just as good a job as a man and in some cases, a better job. I will never tell a woman to stay in a marriage when she feels she is being verbally abused. I will never be an advocate for the repeal of women's suffrage or marital rape laws. The list goes on and on. So, yes, Lori and I are both women. We're both wives. But that is where the similarities end. I feel absolutely no camaraderie with her in any way shape or form, and frankly, that makes me very happy. And dare I be so bold as to say that I think my little list is true of the great majority of FJ women--who are proud to be nothing at all like Lori Alexander.

Ya. This.

Ken, read this. I know how much my potty mouth offends your delicate sensibilities.

Lori has never spoken harsh words about feminists, working mothers, women who have egalitarian marriages? She has never said words that would be hurtful to other women who are those things? Never?

Real question for Ken and anyone else, has Lori ever spoken poorly of a real person using their name so that it would be possible for their friends, family, co-workers to search the internet, find Lori's blog and read the harsh, judgmental things Lori wrote?

Archived