IGNORED

Christopher and Anna Marie Maxwell working on baby names

SPHASH

The bible is full of stories of people who lived morally complicated lives (like, you know, actual people do). All-or-nothing Maxwell thinking doesn't really accommodate that. Which is to say: I wonder how they feel about the name Rahab.

I misread that as "rehab," and thought that would be a good possibility since I feel like someone in that family will eventually end up in rehab

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered about this one too. Susannah = Good biblical lady. (I have got the right name for the first child, haven't I? Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Abigail = good biblical lady. Bethany = City. Christina = Follower of Christ so post-biblical name. I'm giving them 50%.

I love Dorcas and Martha is pretty awesome too. Maybe hyphenated Martha-Dorcas Maxwell. Nice. My actual predictions are Paul or Miriam. Paul because he is the next most obvious biblical male after Yeshua/Joshua/Jesus and Miriam because they already have a Mary and Miriam is the older version of Mary.

Martha-Dorcas Maxwell! I love it. And a few years later, her younger sister Eunice-Priscilla Maxwell. You're welcome Steve!

They could also go with Elisabeth (Not only John the Baptist's mother but her story is often touted by pro-lifers as proof that life begins at conception), Phoebe, Veronica, and Chloe if they want good biblical ladies of the New Testament with names that are acceptable to our modern ears. I'm actually really surprised they haven't had an Elisabeth yet. (Or perhaps Steve has had an Elisabeth and that's why they can't use it ;) )

This is one of the oddest ones yet. You can't discuss baby names spontaneously while cooking dinner, gardening, bathing the baby, or whatever? And it's an hour? What do they do if they reach a decision in 15 minutes?

Even naming a baby for fundies is depressing. It's no wonder that a lot of them just fall back on the overused ones like Sarah and all of the Anna names (Anna, Susanna, etc.) It's easier than actually having to pick out more unique names that meet all of those asinine criteria. Just because you name someone a "godly, Bliblical name" doesn't mean that they are going to follow that path.

Personally, I am hoping that they surprise us and name the baby Jezebel if it's a girl. That way they can show us how superior they are, and that making bad names godly is easy for them. Jezebel Maxwell has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

This is one of the oddest ones yet. You can't discuss baby names spontaneously while cooking dinner, gardening, bathing the baby, or whatever? And it's an hour? What do they do if they reach a decision in 15 minutes?

Exactly! We discussed names over a period of months while I was pregnant with each child. If a name we liked came to us, we'd try it out on each other to see if it was a possibility. How many great names have the Maxwell's missed out on, simply because they didn't think of them in their allotted one hour on the schedule?

Martha-Dorcas Maxwell! I love it. And a few years later, her younger sister Eunice-Priscilla Maxwell. You're welcome Steve!

They could also go with Elisabeth (Not only John the Baptist's mother but her story is often touted by pro-lifers as proof that life begins at conception), Phoebe, Veronica, and Chloe if they want good biblical ladies of the New Testament with names that are acceptable to our modern ears. I'm actually really surprised they haven't had an Elisabeth yet. (Or perhaps Steve has had an Elisabeth and that's why they can't use it ;) )

Joseph had an Elizabeth, and she broke up their engagement. I'm surprised Chloe isn't popular with fundies. It's a popular name. I thought Phoebe was considered "bad"?

Eta: Veronica is a biblical name? I didn't know that.

So, did they give up an hour of bible time or eating or something? how do you get a whole hour free for baby naming when every single moment of the day is scheduled?

What did they give up in order to have time to do this?

:cray-cray:

Exactly! We discussed names over a period of months while I was pregnant with each child. If a name we liked came to us, we'd try it out on each other to see if it was a possibility. How many great names have the Maxwell's missed out on, simply because they didn't think of them in their allotted one hour on the schedule?

My husband and I discussed names all the time. When we were going to the grocery store, when were eating dinner, when we were taking walks, etc. It was an on-going thing - even when we had a name picked out we discussed the pros and cons about it regularly.

This leads me to wonder what sort of conversations Christopher and Anna have when they are home alone. If they have to schedule time to talk about baby names, what are the talking about on a daily basis? Especially since Christopher is at home all day, every day.

My husband and I discussed names all the time. When we were going to the grocery store, when were eating dinner, when we were taking walks, etc. It was an on-going thing - even when we had a name picked out we discussed the pros and cons about it regularly.

This leads me to wonder what sort of conversations Christopher and Anna have when they are home alone. If they have to schedule time to talk about baby names, what are the talking about on a daily basis? Especially since Christopher is at home all day, every day.

Really! What exactly do they discuss when they eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner together Every. Single. Day.

Maybe they don't talk during meals? Maybe AnnaMarie has to serve Chris his meal then sit quietly while Chris discusses his work or reads from the Bible? Maybe that's why whole family get together meals are such a 'special' time. Maybe they are all allowed to talk to each other during those meals only. Something to think about.

There's something objectionable about almost all the Old Testament women and some of the New Testament women, too. Basically the vast majority of people in the Bible would not live up to the Maxwells' standards, but I'm sure they just conveniently ignore that.

My heathen self did not know Phoebe was biblical...was she bad??? What did she do??? I think this name may be fairly popular in The World due to Phoebe Buffay, not that the Maxwells would appreciate this...

Hmm...other biblical options: I would bet high money on Rebekah (spelt this way). Leah possibly? Hannah...is Jessica biblical?

For boys, how about Gabriel? What better than to name a boy after the deliverer of Good News which the Maxwells think they do? Either that or they will repeat a load of Duggar names.

Middle names - so far for the girls, there has been Joy, Hope, Faith and Mercy, so we need a Grace in there, or Charity, Love, sacrificial lamb?

In fact, why not just go ahead and call a boy Maxwell? Straight out, no nonsense.

Think about it – your child will have the name you choose for the rest of his life. That’s incredible!

Umm, not always, Anna Marie is not her name. Her name is Anna!! :angry-banghead:

At what's up with the "phraseology" Sarah?

Think about it

thoughts to ponder

Did Daddy do some editing for you?

So, did they give up an hour of bible time or eating or something? how do you get a whole hour free for baby naming when every single moment of the day is scheduled?

What did they give up in order to have time to do this?

:cray-cray:

They probably spent the whole day before moving those little colored squares around their MOTH schedule trying to free that hour up.

That whole post was so oddly worded. It was written by Sarah, but she has a strange sentence in there about "When Christopher's family was at their house". Isn't she talking about, uh, her family?

And yes, Sarah, we who are parents do realize our kids will have their names the rest of their lives.

My heathen self did not know Phoebe was biblical...was she bad??? What did she do??? I think this name may be fairly popular in The World due to Phoebe Buffay, not that the Maxwells would appreciate this...

I was mistaken, Phoebe isn't considered bad.

What about Ruth - that's a good biblical name, isn't it?

I think it is. Cause their was a character in the TV show 7th heaven named Ruthie (Ruth). All the kids in the show had names from the Bible.

What about Ruth - that's a good biblical name, isn't it?

"Ruth rode on my motorbike,

Directly back of me.

I hit a bump, at 65,

And rode on, Ruthlessly."

(Sorry - couldn't resist. :lol: )

Joseph had an Elizabeth, and she broke up their engagement. I'm surprised Chloe isn't popular with fundies. It's a popular name. I thought Phoebe was considered "bad"?

Eta: Veronica is a biblical name? I didn't know that.

Ah, good catch on Elizabeth!

Veronica was moved with pity at the sight of Christ carrying his cross and so she wiped his brow. She is a saint in Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. She is depicted at one of the stations of the cross. I just read up about her though and it seems her story is not included in the canonical Gospels (my silly Papist upbringing steering me wrong again!), so that would be why her name is not used by Protestant fundies.

Phoebe was a deaconess and was dedicated to helping Paul establish the church. Not much is said about Chloe by Paul but she was the head of a Christian household that hosted him for awhile and I think in some translations her hospitality is complimented. Neither women have anything controversial about them, so I would think they would be possible names for fundies.

I could see an "Agnes" in there somewhere for a girl. The name means "chaste", and is associated with the Latin agnus (lamb) - I've known many a (very religious) girl with this name.

Maybe Benjamin or Zachariah for a boy?

I'm not very good at this.. :angry-banghead:

I think it is. Cause their was a character in the TV show 7th heaven named Ruthie (Ruth). All the kids in the show had names from the Bible.

They had a daughter named Lucy, and there were arguments about her name. Some said it was derived from the biblical name Lucious or it's the feminine version of Luke. I loved that show!

Maybe in Maxhell, conversation is scheduled by topic. For example, 6:00-6:30 bible conversation, 7:15-7:30, household things and 4:18 - 4:20 , family matters. So if Christopher and Anna wanted to discuss baby names, they need to have it on the schedule because it is forbidden in Maxhell to deviate from the schedule for anything. I do wonder if they schedule pillow talk.

Im sure Steve has wrote up a handful of different scripts for people to use during their daily conversation. They aren't allowed to say anything else unless Steve decides to. If they do want to talk about something Steve hasn't written in the script, they cant tell him, they just have to pray that he has the same idea.

They had a daughter named Lucy, and there were arguments about her name. Some said it was derived from the biblical name Lucious or it's the feminine version of Luke. I loved that show!

There were some who said it was short for Lucifer.

Archived