IGNORED

Christopher and Anna Marie Maxwell working on baby names

SPHASH

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, yes. Why an hour? That's just strange. They can't even discuss baby names spontaneously.

No kidding.

I don't think the Maxwells have ever encountered a molehill of a task that haven't turned into a mountainous endeavour. :angry-banghead:

Since they went Old Testament for the first boy name, my guess is that if this is a boy they'll pick a New Testament one. My guesses are Paul, Peter and Timothy.

For a girl, I think they might go OT to go along with Joshua. In that case, I guess Rebecca, Rachel, Ruth or Esther.

More biblical names for women: Shifrah and Puah.

Maybe those names are too OT for the Maxwells, but I can imagine some fundie family completely ignoring all cultural context and appropriating S and P as proto-Operation Rescue figures, since they defied Pharaoh's orders to massacre the male Israelite infants, assuring Moses's safety.

Side question: Why do forced birth advocates not picket God, who killed all those Egyptian kids for political leverage during the first Passover?

Oh ain't that the truth!

The caroling thing still kills me. They go caroling to the neighbors and give them a loaf of bread. Easy enough right? Nope, they have to take notes about what worked, what didn't work so they do it better next year. IT'S CAROLING AND HANDING OUT BREAD TO THE NEIGHBORS!

I think we all forgot the obvious: Titus

Good one, Rembrandt's son

.rembrandtonline.org/Portrait-of-a-boy-(Titus,-Rembrandt's-son).html

This seriously is just one if the most absurd things I've heard. I've lurked and posted here long enough and read back through their blog to know they are odd, but every time I read this thread I'm just amazed at their weirdness. I'm still trying to comprehend why a married couple who are practically together 24/7 could not just simply bring up the subject now and again at breakfast, or while getting ready for bed, or driving to the store, or while playing with their son......... simply mind boggling.

This seriously is just one if the most absurd things I've heard. I've lurked and posted here long enough and read back through their blog to know they are odd, but every time I read this thread I'm just amazed at their weirdness. I'm still trying to comprehend why a married couple who are practically together 24/7 could not just simply bring up the subject now and again at breakfast, or while getting ready for bed, or driving to the store, or while playing with their son......... simply mind boggling.

Like we all do or did....

Since they went Old Testament for the first boy name, my guess is that if this is a boy they'll pick a New Testament one. My guesses are Paul, Peter and Timothy.

For a girl, I think they might go OT to go along with Joshua. In that case, I guess Rebecca, Rachel, Ruth or Esther.

Joshua (Yeshua) does appear in the Old Testament but it's actually the original form of Jesus which is why it's so popular amongst Christians. (Duggars & Philips spring immediately to mind.) I never take it as a sign people are looking at the OT for names.

Commenter Mikki replies that they gave their sons biblical names because that is for the best. But they gave their daughter a non-biblical but virtuous name. Because of course, the best is only reserved for sons I guess.

So far commenter Chrissy is the only one not to receive a 'Thank You' or 'Amen'. Probably because she stated she does not feel the names need to come from the Bible, only need to have good meanings. But she says that she doesn't pick popular names because of too many kids having the same name. But that wouldn't be a problem in a Maxwell Land because they won't be allowed around any other kids besides their cousins. And if they marry into a family with someone with the same name, simply change that person's name.

I guess they needed to schedule the time to talk about a baby so they could co-ordinate with Maxhell central for someone to come over and photograph the event.

Or maybe they have a tripod.

Oops - I'm brain dead right now and just deleted a post instead of editing it. Sorry about that. Anyway, I'd say there are more 'acceptable' NT female names for the Maxwells, like Tabitha, Mary, Priscilla, etc. It's amazing how often people in the OT do things that fundies would roundly condemn, yet they name their children after them. Apparently it was okay for people in the Bible to be flawed humans, but it's not okay for anyone else.

They really should not go with plain old biblical names. I found an article on Slate.com about Puritan baby names. (Link is not broken since slate is a news magazine.)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/20 ... itans.html

I am really liking the name Obedience Maxwell since it works for either gender and it's something that Stevehovah should approve of.

Steve Marie.

Something to think about.....

If it's a girl I can see them going with the "virtue" names.

The whole hour of scheduled discussion may have been to come up with a naming theme. Nathan and Melanie are doing the sequential alphabet thing, maybe Chris and NR Anna are going to do all Js or choose a biblical theme (all names from a favourite book of the bible or something). I suspect they'll end up with a large quiver, so if they want a theme they need to put some thought into it now.

Would they use the feminine form of a male's name for a girl if that name is Biblically-based, like Paula or Petra? There's Timothea, Stephanie, Jamie, Andrea, Phillipa, Joan/Joanna/Joanne, and Simone, among others. Or they could use a name that references God but isn't in the Bible, like Theodore/Theodora (God's beloved) or Deodatus (God's gift).

I have New England Puritan ancestry and one, a female was named Experience. Another, also female, was named Thankful.

I have New England Puritan ancestry and one, a female was named Experience. Another, also female, was named Thankful.

I have an Experience in my family tree as well. We're probably related somewhere back there. A bunch of mine were Quakers, though.

Archived