IGNORED

Christopher and Anna Marie Maxwell working on baby names

SPHASH

Here are most of the characteristics that they take into consideration when choosing a name:

Bible-based

The character traits of the person(s) in Scripture with the name (good and bad)

The meaning of the name

How the meaning of the first and middle names combine for a custom name meaning/life vision

How the first->middle->last sound together

The initials

Whether we, [Christopher and Anna Marie], like the name. They also let us know they are going to spend one hour working on baby names. At least the kid won't be named after Steve or Teri.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they had out the whiteboard, name-day snacks (whole wheat Alpha-Bits cereal...), and the projector to show ChristianBabyName.com as they 'researched' appropriate life visions.

I think that it is horrible that they have to schedule an hour to work on naming their baby. But I guess that is life in Maxhell.

I think that it is horrible that they have to schedule an hour to work on naming their baby. But I guess that is life in Maxhell.

I found that bizarre too - like, after the hour 's up, does Christopher say "welp, it's 7:15, time for Bible study/my back rub/sweet fellowship/whatever"? I've never had a kid to name, but wouldn't you just notice names throughout your day, jot down ones you like, and then chat about them every once in a while as the subject comes up?

They're so weird.

ETA: I have finally reached Pearl Clutcher status! :dance:

There's something so incredibly off-putting about some of their more recent posts (more so than usual).

Honestly, who the fuck do they think they are?

Im surprised that Steve doesn't schedule their bathroom breaks.

"Sorry Anna, you aren't due to pee for another hour, go clean the ceiling fans and pray to God that you don't wet yourself"

"John, you've been in the bathroom now for five minutes, you had better not be masturbating in there! Your time is up, go and clean the kitchen"

They're going to have a bad time if they're limiting themselves to biblical names with good character qualities. Nathan, Joseph, John, Jesse, Joshua, Sarah, Anna, Mary, Susanna, Abigail, and Bethany are already taken, and they have a Christopher (which is a Catholic saint's name, GASP!) and a Christina as well. Right now it's all right, but by the time Jesse gets married and starts having kids there are going to be no names left for him to choose from.

Im surprised that Steve doesn't schedule their bathroom breaks.

"Sorry Anna, you aren't due to pee for another hour, go clean the ceiling fans and pray to God that you don't wet yourself"

"John, you've been in the bathroom now for five minutes, you had better not be masturbating in there! Your time is up, go and clean the kitchen"

I'm surprised about that also!! Like I said before how very Sheldon Cooper of him!!!

I looked on the internets to find this entry, and was a bit surprised to see it's on the original Maxhell family blog. Chris and Anna are MARRIED! Doesn't that mean they're adults and ready to post their own smug ministry blog? I guess in the Maxhell family you never truly get to have adult independence.

Also, I noticed it was Sarah who posted the blog. Why is the unwed sister blogging about her married brother's baby name choosing process? Girlfriend seriously needs her own life.

They're going to have a bad time if they're limiting themselves to biblical names with good character qualities. Nathan, Joseph, John, Jesse, Joshua, Sarah, Anna, Mary, Susanna, Abigail, and Bethany are already taken, and they have a Christopher (which is a Catholic saint's name, GASP!) and a Christina as well. Right now it's all right, but by the time Jesse gets married and starts having kids there are going to be no names left for him to choose from.

There are many "good" biblical boys names, but they're going to have a hard time finding "good" biblical girl names.

There are many "good" biblical boys names, but they're going to have a hard time finding "good" biblical girl names.

The bible is full of stories of people who lived morally complicated lives (like, you know, actual people do). All-or-nothing Maxwell thinking doesn't really accommodate that. Which is to say: I wonder how they feel about the name Rahab.

There are a few, but they're not exactly pleasing to our modern ears. "Dorcas" for the win!

Does anyone think that if Steve doesn't approve of the new grand child's name they will change it.

No, I don't think so.

There are a few, but they're not exactly pleasing to our modern ears. "Dorcas" for the win!

Dorcas always makes me think of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (where Dorcas was memorably played by future Catwoman Julie Newmar--then Newmeyer). The Pontipee Brothers were overflowing with biblical names: Adam, Benjamin, Caleb, Daniel, Ephraim, Frank (Frankincense) and Gideon. And at the end, Millie was thinking about following up with an H name for the new baby girl, "Hannah, Hephzibah..."

The bible is full of stories of people who lived morally complicated lives (like, you know, actual people do). All-or-nothing Maxwell thinking doesn't really accommodate that. Which is to say: I wonder how they feel about the name Rahab.

Not all biblical names are people. Bethany and Moriah are places.

Not all biblical names are people. Bethany and Moriah are places.

I wondered about this one too. Susannah = Good biblical lady. (I have got the right name for the first child, haven't I? Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Abigail = good biblical lady. Bethany = City. Christina = Follower of Christ so post-biblical name. I'm giving them 50%.

I love Dorcas and Martha is pretty awesome too. Maybe hyphenated Martha-Dorcas Maxwell. Nice. My actual predictions are Paul or Miriam. Paul because he is the next most obvious biblical male after Yeshua/Joshua/Jesus and Miriam because they already have a Mary and Miriam is the older version of Mary.

My predictions are Samuel or Lydia.

They won't have a hard time finding boy or girl names that fit their criteria, but the other Maxwell kids will have to get creative with girl names. They could use religious names (like Christina and Christopher).

Would Leah and Rachel be considered positive names? They are both pretty morally complicated characters.

I'm guessing Martha is out since she didn't spend enough time with Jesus? Or would they be okay with Martha since Martha worked hard?

Would Rebecca be positive enough? She cared for her blind husband, but she preferred one son over the other, and against her husband's preference.

How about Deborah? She was one of the Judges, and a prophet of God. But those aren't supposed to be roles that women are supposed to take; she usurped her husband's position.

Umm, yes. Why an hour? That's just strange. They can't even discuss baby names spontaneously.

Archived