IGNORED

Christopher and Anna Marie Maxwell working on baby names

SPHASH

I have New England Puritan ancestry and one, a female was named Experience. Another, also female, was named Thankful.

We might be related, I had an ancestor named Thankful.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like we all do or did....

I am fairly new to Maxwell-land, but the sense I get is that, since time management and planning and daily scheduling seem to be the essence/content of their business, that they feel the need to "demonstrate" it constantly for their readers.

Without, apparently, any sense of how ridiculous it comes across.

I have New England Puritan ancestry and one, a female was named Experience. Another, also female, was named Thankful.

Experience? Somehow I can't see fundies wanting to give that name to anybody, just based on the way they shelter their children from the evils of the world. I heard these two names and all I could think about is how 'Thankful' I am for all the 'Experiences' I've had over the years (especially the naughty ones). As a never married adult woman, none of these 'experiences' would've happened had I been born in Maxhell.

Experience? Somehow I can't see fundies wanting to give that name to anybody, just based on the way they shelter their children from the evils of the world. I heard these two names and all I could think about is how 'Thankful' I am for all the 'Experiences' I've had over the years (especially the naughty ones). As a never married adult woman, none of these 'experiences' would've happened had I been born in Maxhell.

So maybe 'Shelter(ed)' Maxwell would work? ;)

Jerusha, Junia, Dinah, Tamar, Chastity, Salome, and i LOVE Vashti...she was bad ass and refused to obey her husband so no Maxwell would support that name.

Matthew, Jude, Josiah, Judah, Levi, Benjamin...maybe Boaz?

Perhaps they could use the legendary puritan name "If-christ-has-not-died-for-thee-thou-hast-been-damned". That way every time they addressed the child, he would be forced to think about where he's going when he dies. And he could introduce himself and lecture people all at once!

Andrew for a boy. It came to me suddenly, but I think it's a good fit. It works with their very traditional naming style, and the biblical Andrew sounds like someone they'd want a son to emulate.

Many Bible Teachers believe that Andrew was the first to bring someone to Christ, when he "first" found his brother Simon, and that John found James and brought him to Jesus that same day. (John 1:41 av) We do know that Andrew began following Jesus the first day after Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, and brought his brother Peter to Christ on second the day after the baptism. (John 1:32-33 ff. John 1:35; John 1:39)

Guidedbiblestudies.com/topics/andrew.htm

This seriously is just one if the most absurd things I've heard. I've lurked and posted here long enough and read back through their blog to know they are odd, but every time I read this thread I'm just amazed at their weirdness. I'm still trying to comprehend why a married couple who are practically together 24/7 could not just simply bring up the subject now and again at breakfast, or while getting ready for bed, or driving to the store, or while playing with their son......... simply mind boggling.

I have no children and have never been pregnant, but I can see how it would be helpful for some couples to sit down formally and go through books and write down lists of things they do/do not want. Also, if they're considering the meaning of the names they're choosing, that's a bit of extra research to do. Of course, since this is Maxwell land and even the most interesting things they do are dull, they probably considered this a very big event worthy of an ultra-important-sounding write-up.

I'm guessing Jael, Jezebel and Eve are out. You can't have non-submissive women. Ditto for Esther, Miriam, Deborah.

Then there's the not so chaste ones- Rahab, Tamar, Bathsheba.

I'm just going through names at random now: Rachel lied, Ruth had the spirit to leave her country by choice, Salome was a dancer (gasp) (and a piece of work), Lydia had a good business, Priscilla had a high position in the early church, Anna was a prophetess, Leah tricked her sister's bloke into marrying her, and Zipporah told her husband he was doing a crappy job (no just praying Moses would remember to pick up a pizza in that relationship).

Actually, ALL the women named in the Bible are noted for something. If they hadn't been noteworthy, they would have faded into nothing just like all the other women of the time. Meek and quiet spirits don't rate a mention. They're non-entities. (Except for Mary. In Protestant tradition she's basically an incubator.)

I don't get scheduling a time to discuss names. We used to try out names all of the time until we found one that worked. We played with initials to make sure no unpleasant nicknames could be made. I like family names, so I tried out a lot of family names. I also like religious names, so I played around with some of those too.

I didn't want popular names - too many Jennifers in my classes growing up. My ex does like popular names, so we tested those out too.

Finally, when she was born I decided on her name. It fit her.

I'm guessing Jael, Jezebel and Eve are out. You can't have non-submissive women. Ditto for Esther, Miriam, Deborah.

Then there's the not so chaste ones- Rahab, Tamar, Bathsheba.

I'm just going through names at random now: Rachel lied, Ruth had the spirit to leave her country by choice, Salome was a dancer (gasp) (and a piece of work), Lydia had a good business, Priscilla had a high position in the early church, Anna was a prophetess, Leah tricked her sister's bloke into marrying her, and Zipporah told her husband he was doing a crappy job (no just praying Moses would remember to pick up a pizza in that relationship).

Actually, ALL the women named in the Bible are noted for something. If they hadn't been noteworthy, they would have faded into nothing just like all the other women of the time. Meek and quiet spirits don't rate a mention. They're non-entities. (Except for Mary. In Protestant tradition she's basically an incubator.)

Interesting, 'cause there are 2 Anna's in the Maxwell family already.....

They should just name the kid DEATH and be done with it already. :roll:

ILY

In keeping with this theme:

Tristesse

Persephone

Thanatos

Desdemona

Zeresh

Methuselah

Beige

Cassandra

I'm kinda feeling "Schedule" Maxwell...

Protestants consider Judith apocryphal, so I don't think so.

I'm going to guess David for a boy, Tabitha for a girl.

Beige

:lol:

No, that's reserved for Poor Joe's first kid who will be living in a beige house.

I'm waiting for one of them to embrace the hardcore Puritan virtue names like Obedience, Silence, or Fly-Fornication.

I don't think they'll go with any OT names that are too unique, because you wouldn't want a girls interesting name to cause vanity. I thought Joan was the best bet, but every Joan I've ever known (!!) was very Catholic. Maybe Abigail.

I don't think they'll go with any OT names that are too unique, because you wouldn't want a girls interesting name to cause vanity. I thought Joan was the best bet, but every Joan I've ever known (!!) was very Catholic. Maybe Abigail.

There already is an Abigail in the family.

I'm waiting for one of them to embrace the hardcore Puritan virtue names like Obedience, Silence, or Fly-Fornication.

Alright, I must admit to rooting for 'Silence Steve Maxwell'. I find it very catchy for some reason... :whistle:

Archived