IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars & More Duggars - General Discussion Part 3

happy atheist

Are they doing a duckface?! :pink-shock:

At least Amy is! They were making silly faces, there are more photos on Amy's instagram.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why fundy women don't wear boots (not counting Uggs) more with their skirts. I live in boots in winter. It was less than 20 degrees F (-6 C) when those Anti-Choice March photos were taken.

A nice flat-heeled riding-type boot would work so well for them. I know boots are expensive, but you can find them at thrift stores.

Is it perhaps that boots aren't "feminine" and "dainty" enough to meet fundy standards of womanhood? Are low heeled boots too androgynous, and spike heeled boots too aggressively sexy?

It's not as if JoyAnna's and Tori's shoes are very feminine in that group shot. I've wondered about the lack of boots as well. I practically live in knee length wool skirts in the winter with boots. I have heeled ones for dressier occasions but also flat heeled, knee high ones that are super comfortable and look a lot more put together than flip flops/sneakers. They are nice when navigating a snow bank because the snow doesn't get into your shoes.

For other families, I imagine it's the cost. I don't know why for the Duggars though.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I live in a different climate, but would there generally be a great need for winter boots in Tennessee and Arkansas?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I live in a different climate, but would there generally be a great need for winter boots in Tennessee and Arkansas?

The leather-type boots I think most of the folk are talking about are like this:

Prada-Womens-Prestige-Black-Calf-Leather-Knee-high-Boots-0e5e90a8-4736-44c3-9ba9-0d5a16958c5d_320.jpg

They're not really snow boots, just comfortable, dressy-ish cold weather footwear. I wear either something like this or cowboy boots once it stats getting cool out.

I live in Arkansas and I've never even thought to wear boots when it's cold outside. I have hiking boots and work boots, but I've never owned any kind of winter boots in my life. I wore tennis shoes to roll a snowman with my daughter last week and they were perfectly fine. Plenty of people wear them, but they tend to be fashion statements more than necessity. Wouldn't have minded some boots with the last winter weather we've had, though!

It can get fairly cold, and there is some snow (definitely cold rains). I understand not owning a fleet of them, but one pair seems reasonable to me. I'm just surprised I never see them on any of the girls, especially since they go well with skirts.

And the picture of the dressy boot above is exactly what I was talking about.

Speaking of Fundie winter clothing, Kelly Bates has this to say:

Mrs. Bates,

Question, How do you and the girls stay warm in skirts when its very cold? I have sweater tights but they don’t seem to cut it.

Dear

They wear long leggins and boots, but you must remember we live in Tennessee with very mild winters. Its not unusual for us to only get an inch or two of snow all winter, and that often only lasts a day! When they were younger and actually enjoyed playing in the snow, they wore snow suits with little skirts over top. I run from the cold!! Brrrrr!!! Love, Kelly

How mild are winters in Tennessee?

When they were younger & you actually allowed them to play in the snow... :think:

Snow suits with skirts over them? :wtf: :angry-banghead:

I don't see the point of a skirt over a snowsuit. Theyre possibly the most modest thing ever as you cant tell anything about the person's figure from it.

I don't see the point of a skirt over a snowsuit. Theyre possibly the most modest thing ever as you cant tell anything about the person's figure from it.

oh, but "that person has a crotch! and that snowsuit is kinda close to it!" :lol:

seriously, I have known of people who took offense at the mention (and this is in a forestry organization, mind you) of someone making reference to the crotch of a tree… :snooty: :roll:

I witnessed this very thing two months ago - only teenagers with full length frumpers over leggings of some kind. Oh, and head coverings, not hats. They were sledding in 2 feet of snow. Boys, of course, had snow suits and hats. :angry-banghead:

Thank you!

You're welcome!

And, while I'm here -- I sure hope Jinger didn't change from tight curls to loose ones because it's the look daddy and/or Gothard prefers. :(

92eybzlu.jpg

Actual shoes this time. And Joy even has her legs covered, it must be freezing.

That's not Joy. It's Katie Bates (as IDed by Kelly on the Bateses' blog). Joy is taller than that. I knew it wasn't Joy, but didn't want to post a correction until I had collaboration. I think the girl's mother is as good a source as any. :D

At any rate, I guess that means that the Bateses are more sensible about boots, but then they live in a colder winter climate.

oh, but "that person has a crotch! and that snowsuit is kinda close to it!" :lol:

seriously, I have known of people who took offense at the mention (and this is in a forestry organization, mind you) of someone making reference to the crotch of a tree… :snooty: :roll:

WHAT?? This isn't the Victorian Era where chicken breasts were renamed white meat and piano legs were covered up by little pantaloons. Who the hell finds chicken breasts, piano legs or tree crotches even remotely suggestive?

WHAT?? This isn't the Victorian Era where chicken breasts were renamed white meat and piano legs were covered up by little pantaloons. Who the hell finds chicken breasts, piano legs or tree crotches even remotely suggestive?

It wasn't the tree itself that was suggestive or offensive, it was the word "crotch" as used by this woman's boss that she perceived as offensive/suggestive -- having known this boss, I can say that he sometimes pushed some of the limits in regards to sexual innuendo/banter, which in the hypersensitive 1990s environment of US Governmental agencies, where this took place, would definitely have been considered sexual harassment. But still, he was referring to the spot on the TREE (as in, "toss that rope through that crotch there" and it's a perfectly appropriate word to use in that context, regardless of anything else.

Unless, I suppose, he wiggled his eyebrows at her while he said it, or something like that. I guess there really are too many variables to say for sure without having been there myself. Sigh.

The question nobody is asking!!! Why us Peter Query standing THAAAAT close to Jana????

Sorry i had to get the speculation bus rolling....

That's not Joy. It's Katie Bates (as IDed by Kelly on the Bateses' blog). Joy is taller than that. I knew it wasn't Joy, but didn't want to post a correction until I had collaboration. I think the girl's mother is as good a source as any. :D

At any rate, I guess that means that the Bateses are more sensible about boots, but then they live in a colder winter climate.

Joy had her legs covered too. Her shoes look super awkward with leggings and a skirt.

But it was like 10 degrees that day, and I know that I make interesting choices for warmth in that weather too.

Joy had her legs covered too. Her shoes look super awkward with leggings and a skirt.

But it was like 10 degrees that day, and I know that I make interesting choices for warmth in that weather too.

I don't see Joy in this pic.

About the wearing boots...they probably associate boots with men's work books and go-go boots (think Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman). The probably don't know that there are nice styles of women's boots.

About the wearing boots...they probably associate boots with men's work books and go-go boots (think Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman). The probably don't know that there are nice styles of women's boots.

I know Jessa has cowgirl boots, so they have some awareness of more feminine boot options. Riding and cowgirl boots have been pretty trendy/popular for several years, so I have a hard time believing they haven't seen the feminine boots available at Walmart, Target, outlets, thrift stores, and where ever else they shop these days.

But I thought they could do anything in flip flops, so what's the point of branching out, and wearing boots, when you can do anything in skirts and ratty flip flops?

Archived