IGNORED

Nothing brings out the rude in fundies like Christmas...

Koala

I thought about this thread today when I was reading something. Although it doesn't really relate to the topic it relates to the title of the thread so I'll just share it here anyway :)

I was reading an announcement about some towns who for the month of December has a program where parking is free. If people put money in the parking meters that money will go to a program that feeds local children. If people don't put money in the parking meter nothing happens. NOTHING AT ALL. Basically, parking is free and you can donate money if you want to. Some asshole commented that (obviously without reading the whole story) that he would prefer for parking to be free as it would help the business owners more. Umm.. WHAT?!?! First of all he needs some reading comprehension to realize this is a totally optional program. Second of all; does something not go through your brain to question why you are favoring business owners over hungry kids? Really getting into the true spirit of the season here; consumerism over giving.

Sometimes you have to give your head a shake.

I thought about this thread today when I was reading something. Although it doesn't really relate to the topic it relates to the title of the thread so I'll just share it here anyway :)

I was reading an announcement about some towns who for the month of December has a program where parking is free. If people put money in the parking meters that money will go to a program that feeds local children. If people don't put money in the parking meter nothing happens. NOTHING AT ALL. Basically, parking is free and you can donate money if you want to. Some asshole commented that (obviously without reading the whole story) that he would prefer for parking to be free as it would help the business owners more. Umm.. WHAT?!?! First of all he needs some reading comprehension to realize this is a totally optional program. Second of all; does something not go through your brain to question why you are favoring business owners over hungry kids? Really getting into the true spirit of the season here; consumerism over giving.

Sometimes you have to give your head a shake.

Geez, Boogalou, don't you know that corporations are people?!?

That is actually a really good idea for donations though. Saturday parking is free in my city until Christmas...maybe they should consider a similar program :think:

Geez, Boogalou, don't you know that corporations are people?!?

That is actually a really good idea for donations though. Saturday parking is free in my city until Christmas...maybe they should consider a similar program :think:

If they do consider a similar program make sure that the money goes to the businesses, not the children!

If they do consider a similar program make sure that the money goes to the businesses, not the children!

Uh...I assume what the poster you are upset with meant by that is that people sometimes avoid areas with parking fees in favor of malls and big box stores with free parking. So no fees might mean more business for those in the area, not that parking fees should be given to business owners.

GenerationStarvation approved all my comments. The faithful got angry when I reminded them how to behave with manners. Then when I reminded them duh, Jesus, no one argued back.... hmmm.....

There are a couple interesting things about family size going on in the comments.

Uh...I assume what the poster you are upset with meant by that is that people sometimes avoid areas with parking fees in favor of malls and big box stores with free parking. So no fees might mean more business for those in the area, not that parking fees should be given to business owners.

I know, I was making a joke. I should have put a lol there or something :)

Plus, I'm not upset with him. I just think he has his priorities in the wrong order.

My daughter received an invitation to a birthday party that included the comment: "(child) would prefer Target or Barnes and Noble gift cards as the present". I was a bit surprised by it - it seemed out of character for the family. But we did give a Target gift card for her birthday.

I would never request specific items because I think it's tacky. But if another parent asks what my child would like, I will give ideas. It's common to be asked when they are young (elementary school age). But we teach our kids to be grateful when they receive gifts, even when they aren't that fond of the item, because it is the right thing to do.

Not only is that rude: "I assume that you will be bringing my child a gift, and that they will hate it", it also raises my suspicions a little bit. I know it's crazy, but I would be pretty unwilling to give a child a gift certificate for their birthday when it could easily be used by the parents. Specifically saying they want generic gift cards... I don't know.

I would tell my kids that they might get some presents from their friends, and they might not. The only disclaimer I would put on a card is that you don't have to bring a gift, since it seems like it could be an undue financial burden to some. If I invite people over for a party it's so they can have a good time, not an exchange of goods for services.

Oh my. This should be submitted to STFU, Parents. :lol:

A few years back, my husband and I, we are a childless couple, were invited to child's party by a couple we barely knew. In the invite was information about where their daughter was registered for gifts. Yeah, we did not go. I found the whole thing flat out tacky. Honestly, I am not a fan of kid's parties unless there is a connection with the actual child. Their invite came off more like a gift grab.

I can see vetoing things you are really uncomfortable with as gifts. I won't give police-themed gifts (toy police car, police officer dress-up sets, legos of police station etc) no matter how much I am begged for them, and I can see it from the other direction - some people don't like "girl" versions of toys, don't like toy guns etc. It's best to warn in advance so there is no embarrassment on the day...

The one thing I do strongly agree with in the OP is the idea of giving experiences as gifts rather than stuff. My husband and I have 7 nieces and nephews who live far away from us, in small houses and/or with military families who move frequently. Those kids have plenty of toys already and it's likely that anything we got them would be played with a few times and then just become clutter or yet another thing to be moved later. For the past several years, we've also flown to visit them, which makes it tough to bring lots of gifts along. So we've taken to buying the whole family a nice meal or taking them out to do something like go bowling or visit a museum. That way we can make a memory with the kids as well as give them the additional gift of time and attention. It works for us anyhow.

My brother and I have a running joke with our kids where we try to get the other's kids the most obnoxious toy possible - but something the kid still likes - and so far, I'm winning with the stuffed talking Leap Frog toy I got my nephew a few years ago. The kids FLIPPED out for it, and the adults wanted to bury it in a shallow grave and then use the shovel to beat it to death. Gift giving to kids can be fun for the adults, too. :twisted:

My cousin and her girlfriend (now wife) used to do this with my kids - we got a drum, a TIN WHISTLE, a concertina, etc.

I kept them all. My girls are now 4 and 6 and my six year old is taking ukulele lessons and my four year old has a bona-fide mixing table (I shit you not) and I put allllllllll those instruments in a box and waited.

My cousin and her wife have a little girl now, turning one next month. Guess what she's getting for Christmas? :twisted:

The one thing I do strongly agree with in the OP is the idea of giving experiences as gifts rather than stuff. My husband and I have 7 nieces and nephews who live far away from us, in small houses and/or with military families who move frequently. Those kids have plenty of toys already and it's likely that anything we got them would be played with a few times and then just become clutter or yet another thing to be moved later. For the past several years, we've also flown to visit them, which makes it tough to bring lots of gifts along. So we've taken to buying the whole family a nice meal or taking them out to do something like go bowling or visit a museum. That way we can make a memory with the kids as well as give them the additional gift of time and attention. It works for us anyhow.

I love that. I have been trying to get my in-laws to do this for years - we have enough money to buy them stuff; my kids just really want the time and attention of their extended family. Come to the zoo! Come to the Nutcracker! This is the stuff my kids will remember, not that you got my oldest a Hello Kitty video camera when she was 5. Which she has never used, by the way.

I give my sisters family memberships to local attractions like the zoo and dinosaur park. The family loves it because its something they can all enjoy it over and over again.

I give my sisters family memberships to local attractions like the zoo and dinosaur park. The family loves it because its something they can all enjoy it over and over again.

You know why this is good? Some families really can't afford those things! My friend Amy is a teacher and her husband is chronically underemployed (don't get me started). Her sister in law does that occasionally for the zoo and Amy loves it.

Girl legos? GIRL legos? Because playing with the primary colored ones that have been around for ages instead of pink and purple ones will somehow turn her precious little princess into a butch tomboy or something? :wtf: I would get multiple sets of the neutral ones along with some "boy" ones just to piss that controlling harridan of a mother off.

Um, you are making me defend a woman who starves her children. I hated the whole genderizing of legos. But my then-two year old begged for them because those sets are f'ing pink and have fluffy cats. Her daughter might well want them herself.

Archived