IGNORED

Doug Phillips (is a tool) resigning!

Slt

If we never hear the woman's name, it is likely someone underage or effectively underage who would be "ruined" in their circles for having sex (male or femle), but whose parent/father has enough pull to make things really ugly.

My gut feel based on some of the things we've been noticing and the filmfest and catalog cancellation is that there is something funky with the books.. cooked or skimmed or something.

Next time I"m in Boerne, I will worship at my usual spot at the Boerne Wine Company patio and toast the crumbling of Doug Phillip's toolish empire.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. The cancellation annoucement of the filmfest mentioned needing to "bring a greater accountability to our practices." Combined with this recent announcement it looks kind of suspcious. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Doug has been embezzling some money to either cover up or support his affair. I also refuse to believe there was not any sexual contact. I can see Doug being one of those people who believe sex only occurs when a penis and vagina meet. Anything else is just being "affectionate."

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine he would say that innocent, sweet Doug was pulled in, didn't realize what he was getting into, etc.

I agree with those who have said that Doug's statement is him admitting to the tip of the iceberg, to try to forestall people finding out about a much more serious affair, several affairs, sleeping with men, sleeping with minors, and/or stealing from VF.

I only hope that the other person or people involved were not vulnerable or fragile in some way.

:(

It will be just like when people defend Gothard's behavior towards young teen girls. "His mind is just so innocent that he didn't understand."

Please, please, some intern write a tell all book or blog post about this event. :pray:

If it's actually a woman, my money is on Lourdes Torres. If it's a man, well, sky's the limit. He certainly would have his pick.

My gut instinct is that the "affair" is a red herring, and that there were some serious financial misdeeds going on. THAT will be the big story, I bet.

edited for clarity

OMG or Michelle Duggar. There will be a J20 and it will come out looking like the Tool. Jimbob will not be impressed, but it will be revealed that Tool did him too.

I imagine he would say that innocent, sweet Doug was pulled in, didn't realize what he was getting into, etc.

I agree with those who have said that Doug's statement is him admitting to the tip of the iceberg, to try to forestall people finding out about a much more serious affair, several affairs, sleeping with men, sleeping with minors, and/or stealing from VF.

I only hope that the other person or people involved were not vulnerable or fragile in some way.

:(

You make an excellent point, thoughtful. This whole thing is funnier to imagine if it's another consenting adult. However, if it is a minor boy or girl that Doug has manipulated in some way... :(

No hard copy catalog, no film fest! Somewhere the money was drying up from within before whatever happened became quasi public.

And I keep thinking Another one bites the dust!

Well color me shocked! And add me to the it wasn't a woman crowd. I agree with the bolded. I'm sad for his family. Cheaters cause an immense amount of pain to their families. I'm also sad this may be the end of the tooliness.

What an ass.

He said it was lengthy affair. I wonder how long it went on before he was caught? If it was a long standing relationship, it could very well be an older stay-at-home daughter. It would explain why she hasn't been married by now. Also, it should be noted he doesn't say whether she is married or not. If she was, wouldn't he mention how he wronged her husband? He only expresses remorse for hurting his family and friends. I'm not sure it's a Botkin, though. Geoffrey seems to keep a very close eye on his daughters although anything is possible.

OMG! I totally forgot about the interns! What is going on at Vision Forum HQ right now? Are they weeping quietly into their KJVs or has it descended into Lord of the Flies territory with a Beautiful Girlhood doll's head on a pike?

Best. Image. Ever!

So he didn't have enough accountability? Send him to live with the Maxwells. That will fix that!!

Ah, I can see the blog post now:

Since Douglas did not have what some would call accountability, he came to Leavenworth prison -- er, the Maxwell home. Here he will listen to recordings of Daddy telling him how to be righteous, reading the Moody books to him, and explaining why traveling abroad is an abomination to the LORD.

His chores include peeling the paper off of the cheese and dusting the ceiling fan blades. He also volunteered to do the men's laundry.

So far, Douglas has been doing well. He especially loves it when he gets to wear matching outfits with the Maxwell men, and is relieved that we were fine with his keeping his beard (the hairs on his chin, that is).

Douglas has been a blessing to us. Must go now, and supervise his taking a walk around the block.

Well, well, well.....the Tool was caught misusing his tool.

The one lesson I did learn growing up in Fundieville -- the people that bark the loudest about how everyone should conduct their lives are always the ones that never practice what the preach. This is why I am not shocked at all.

Word is out in fundie-land. From James McDonald's (husband of Stacy, "Your Sacred Calling" blogger) Facebook page, 3 hours ago:

Heavy heart. Praying for a family in need and a brother crying out to the Lord.

Many replies, all saying basically the same thing.

I guess this might also account for the distance we've observed over the past two or so years between Doug and Geoff, and Doug and Voddie. Maybe they knew something was up.

ETA: I try very hard not to indulge in schadenfreude, but in this case? I am, at least for Doug. I feel bad for Beall (even though she is an asshole too by all accounts) and certainly the kids*, but Doug is just responsible for so much terrible and/or ridiculous bullshit.

*Those kids are going from being members of one of the "first families" of fundiedom to the children of a disgraced man. Won't be easy, since they live in such an insular world.

In his circles, it certainly looks better for his image if the relationship was with a woman. I almost wonder if too many rumors were flying around about his affinity for all things "manly", so he cooked up a female "almost affair" to hide from the allegations. If there were no actual sexual relations, just feelings on Dougie's part, then he may feel that there won't be a cry to reveal the name of his imaginary lust object, and people stop thinking he has real feelings for the men. I'm sure if there was talk, he may have felt like the empire was undergoing a shakeup anyway and wanted to come through it with some of his reputation intact in his crowd.

I think you nailed it. I don't for a moment believe that he had an almost affaire, sans sex, with a woman. I'd love to hear the local gossip on this one.

So... no more costumey trips and manly romps to entertain us? :cry: All my favourite fundies have left the building: Emelie (under $1000 per month), Meredith and now Doug.

Just a theory but here goes: Doug is confronted by an elder/board member/ parent/ whatever about a "misunderstanding" with a male. Doug denies and denies about that, but confesses, "I have, however, been in sin; I've had romantic feelings for our nanny/female friend/whatever, ____, for a long time-- years, in fact."

Doug distracts from the real issue and the "other woman" is completely off the hook because she didn't even know about Doug's feelings.

Wasn't there a picture/video (posted here on FJ) of a recent Vision Forum event (I don't recall which one) where Dougie is introducing a woman speaker or performer, and has lingering arm/hand contact with her??? Help me out! I'm sure I'm not just imagining it. :-)

Wasn't there a picture/video (posted here on FJ) of a recent Vision Forum event (I don't recall which one) where Dougie is introducing a woman speaker or performer, and has lingering arm/hand contact with her??? Help me out! I'm sure I'm not just imagining it. :-)

Oh, yeah... It was oudoors and he seemed way too close. Holding hands? His arm around her waist? I can't remember. They were in a group.

ETA: Pretty sure it was a still photo, not a video.

WHERE is Twin2!?

This news is like my birthday, Halloween and all the other holidays rolled into one!!

Doug Phillips is a Tool!

This could end up being the best thing ever for his kids. Their dad/idol is shown to have feet of clay, which could lead to any or all of the following:

• Kids questioning what they've been taught and learning to disagree
    Stress or anger in the home putting a stop to homeschooling and ends with the kids going to real school
    Being ostracized by VFers leading them to see the group for the horrible clique it is, and branching out to make new friends
    The boys not being allowed to marry and lord their smug toolishness over young women

Oh, yeah... It was oudoors and he seemed way too close. Holding hands? His arm around her waist? I can't remember. They were in a group.

ETA: Pretty sure it was a still photo, not a video.

For some reason I'm remembering it being indoors on a stage, by a podium.

WHERE is Twin2!?

I'm sure when whatever room she's in stops spinning, she'll be with us. She's probably experiencing the same feelings as a lottery winner right now.

*anxiously awaiting Twin2's arrival.

Archived