IGNORED

Doug Phillips (is a tool) resigning!

Slt

Seeing this reminded me of when a high-ranking executive at my husband's company was busted in a prostitution ring. "Haha, very funny guys, writing a fake article--wait, that's a pretty official-looking logo . . ."

Now that Dougie has fallen, I'm waiting for the other big names to get caught in a scandal. So many people are aware of Gothard's treatment of teen girls, but I don't think any larger indiscretions will come out until after he dies. I don't get a cheaters vibe from Jim Bob, but I think Josh is highly susceptible.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm for that! :D

I don't really want to wish trauma on someone but I am hoping it is someone in the flock that will choose to walk away because of the insanity that the Tool preaches and then spill the beans loudly and publicly. And I hope that his name is Mark, Rick or Steve and that he has an affinity for track lighting.

Edited for riffles.

If we treat Doug Phillips (is a tool)'s writings as being like the bible, infallible and without redundancy, there's room for a spot of revealing textual analysis in the paragraph quoted below.

El Toolio has had a relationship with a woman. It was inappropriate. He goes on to clarify that it was inappropriate because it was romantic and affectionate. This suggests that, had it not been romantic and affectionate, it might have been appropriate.

In his world, the assumption is that any relationship between opposite sex adults is fraught with sex. In the real world, only some are, others are friendships, cordial-co-workers, trusted therapist and so on. If the text is read as I give above, Doug Phillips (is a tool) may share the real world view (at least in part) rather than the usual fundie party line.

"There has been serious sin in my life for which God has graciously brought me to repentance. I have confessed my sin to my wife and family, my local church, and the board of Vision Forum Ministries. I engaged in a lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman. While we did not “know†each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate. "

Of course, he might just be stringing together a bunch of words that sound contrite….

If we never hear the woman's name, it is likely someone underage or effectively underage who would be "ruined" in their circles for having sex (male or femle), but whose parent/father has enough pull to make things really ugly.

My gut feel based on some of the things we've been noticing and the filmfest and catalog cancellation is that there is something funky with the books.. cooked or skimmed or something.

Next time I"m in Boerne, I will worship at my usual spot at the Boerne Wine Company patio and toast the crumbling of Doug Phillip's toolish empire.

Seeing this reminded me of when a high-ranking executive at my husband's company was busted in a prostitution ring. "Haha, very funny guys, writing a fake article--wait, that's a pretty official-looking logo . . ."

Now that Dougie has fallen, I'm waiting for the other big names to get caught in a scandal. So many people are aware of Gothard's treatment of teen girls, but I don't think any larger indiscretions will come out until after he dies. I don't get a cheaters vibe from Jim Bob, but I think Josh is highly susceptible.

Mark Driscoll. We already know he's a horndog--he has "visions" of his female congregants having sex. With Mark, I expect prostitutes to be involved. Lots of prostitutes. Like Charlie Sheen quantities.

I get a kick out of the phrase "we did not “know†each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate". So....even though the Bible clearly says that adultery in the heart is the same as physical adultery, Dougie felt the need to clarify that he didn't have a physical relationship. :lol:

I vote for the "woman" being a Vision Forum Royalty SAHD. You know, a younger, prettier version of Be-all.

I honestly think that Dougie is so heavily entrenched in the anti-homosexual beliefs, that he would never acknowledge to himself that he "likes" men. So personally I don't believe that this incident involved another man.

Does this remind anyone of Jimmy Swaggart's tearful "I have sinned against you my Lord" speech? I would love to see Doug the tool do that. I hope this brings VF's empire of hate to it's knees and open the eyes of those that blindly follow.

If we never hear the woman's name, it is likely someone underage or effectively underage who would be "ruined" in their circles for having sex (male or femle), but whose parent/father has enough pull to make things really ugly.

My gut feel based on some of the things we've been noticing and the filmfest and catalog cancellation is that there is something funky with the books.. cooked or skimmed or something.

Next time I"m in Boerne, I will worship at my usual spot at the Boerne Wine Company patio and toast the crumbling of Doug Phillip's toolish empire.

He was, to quote my father, living pretty high on the hog. Those trips and costumes alone must have cost a pretty penny, and that is before the cost of staging his own personal Sundance/Oscar ceremony.

I am thinking that it was a combination of the two. He was involved in an inappropriate relationship with a "woman" from the festival and he was also taking a healthy tithe from the top.

This is terrible, but I hope it was one of the Botkins daughters. Then Daddy Botkin can't take control (I dislike him as much or more than Doug) and the SAHD movement is dead.

visionforum.com/browse/product/building-the-21st-century-man-hardback/default.aspx

Why and How to Prepare Men for 21st Century Hazards

Absent big changes, America and Europe are on a trajectory for epic disaster. What does this mean for the Christian family? For the Church? How do we prepare the sons of today to stand as heroic churchmen and visionary leaders in the perilous 21st century of tomorrow? Doug Phillips offers an answer rooted in a simple proposition - crisis is opportunity in disguise.

In his timely manifesto Building the 21st Century Man, Doug reminds us that every generation in Church history comes with a unique calling. He points us to the calling which we bear and which our sons will inherit. He reminds us that every five hundred years for the last two millennia there have been crises which resulted in a dramatic and fundamental shift in civilization. With each crisis, Christians have been presented with unique opportunities to advance the Church and its influence over men and nations.

As we fast approach what could be our generation's own 500-year shift, Doug lays out principles for building the 21st-century man as they apply to issues of covenant community, legacy preservation, sustainable living, freedom from statism, doctrinal integrity, Gospel influence, generational faithfulness, pedagogical distinctiveness, and more.

Dougie's "Manifesto" may never come to fruition...

OMG! I totally forgot about the interns! What is going on at Vision Forum HQ right now? Are they weeping quietly into their KJVs or has it descended into Lord of the Flies territory with a Beautiful Girlhood doll's head on a pike?

It has happened before in fundie circles. The SGM churches are an (alleged) example. They supposedly repeatedly covered up sexual assaults of minors.

I pray it was not a minor.

(bolding mine)

Where is KISA to explain it all when we need him?

Seriously. That was an epic thread, I hope Knight in Shining Armor comes back to fill us in. :stir-pot:

I can see it now - BRADRICK! Crisis Management, to the rescue!!! :lol:

Thank you, Marian. I just want to let you know I will be laughing for the next 10 minutes.

In his circles, it certainly looks better for his image if the relationship was with a woman. I almost wonder if too many rumors were flying around about his affinity for all things "manly", so he cooked up a female "almost affair" to hide from the allegations. If there were no actual sexual relations, just feelings on Dougie's part, then he may feel that there won't be a cry to reveal the name of his imaginary lust object, and people stop thinking he has real feelings for the men. I'm sure if there was talk, he may have felt like the empire was undergoing a shakeup anyway and wanted to come through it with some of his reputation intact in his crowd.

Let's see. The GOP and Tea Baggers are beginning to lose their popularity. Doug Phillips the tool and VF are falling from grace. This is could be the beginnings of a trend. What do y'all think?

Seriously. That was an epic thread, I hope Knight in Shining Armor comes back to fill us in. :stir-pot:

I imagine he would say that innocent, sweet Doug was pulled in, didn't realize what he was getting into, etc.

I agree with those who have said that Doug's statement is him admitting to the tip of the iceberg, to try to forestall people finding out about a much more serious affair, several affairs, sleeping with men, sleeping with minors, and/or stealing from VF.

I only hope that the other person or people involved were not vulnerable or fragile in some way.

:(

Share the link-y love?

Archived