IGNORED

Bates Wedding: 800 Invitations and Counting/Pirate MERGE

Justme

This is the bible belt, remember! The gift will probably consist of a homemade card with lots of bible verses and $25 per family.

Did she have a shower? I don't recall Kelly posting of one. She could have mentioned it in the comments. There are so many, I don't read them all.

Kelly mentioned it in the comments(no pictures), Erin had 2 small showers, one by her church & one by family & friends. I'm glad Kelly isn't posting pictures of everything. It shows there are other things going on Kelly's life other then this wedding.

As for gifts I am surprised at some of these large LDS weddings that the whole ward and many friends and family, usually over 1000 people are invited how few gifts are given. My husband's nephew's wedding was a few months ago, at least 500 people attended the reception at the ward house gym (the in thing is the chocolate fountain, and punch) and maybe 30 gifts. I even asked BIL if maybe the cash gifts were elsewhere? but he said they got about $400 and a few small appliances and a lot of cute homemade home decorations and a few religious items.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember when Patch the Pirate first came on the scene. My parents have the original tape he made. I fucking hated the "Poochy Lip Disease" song. That and "I want to Marry Daddy When I Grow Up."

Is it sad i still know the words to Poochy Lip? There was also Temper Tantrum Tillie. Oye.

Is it sad i still know the words to Poochy Lip? There was also Temper Tantrum Tillie. Oye.

So do I. :lol: Also the Ballad of Big Toe. I used to be able to sing Widder Magnolia's medicine song and that one was hard to learn. And this is why I know nothing about music during the 80's. I was listening to Patch the Pirate.

How does Erin have time to take an overseas honeymoon when she's enrolled in college and teaches music lessons?? I have a sneaking suspicion that she dropped ALL her classes this semester in order to plan the Fundy Wedding of the Century. That's why she's now graduating a YEAR late. It drives me crazy when women, no matter their religious persuasion, make planning their wedding ceremony a full-time job. Focus on the marriage honey, not the ceremony. PS I've never heard of a man devoting himself full-time to planning his wedding ceremony.

PS I just checked flights from Atlanta (their closest INTL airport) to Ireland in November--cheapest ones are still over $900 round trip, and they'd have to drive several hours to Atlanta. Perhaps some fundy friend is donating frequent flyer miles?

799 invitations? Honestly, when you start including your "television family," who do the Duggars know that the Bates don't?

A lot of modern mega-churches, or crazy fundie churches that wish they were mega-churches, are built with gymnasiums. I bet I can guess where they're having their reception. If it's truly swanky, they'll bother to put the hoops up. :roll:

I love all the speculation as to how you feed that many people. These are fundies- they buy chest freezers in bulk. I suspect it doesn't matter, every single relative of the bride and groom are taking leftovers home with them. Who needs favours if you've got a case of butter mints?

Or maybe they're not planning on feeding everybody. My only experience with a (fundy? It was a small Baptist church in Kentucky) wedding was after the ceremony being ushered into the church basement where the bridal party was put in charge of serving lemonade and cookies that had been baked the week before and frozen. Large Irish Catholic contingent from the East Coast who had driven like 900 miles were not amused.

So do I. :lol: Also the Ballad of Big Toe. I used to be able to sing Widder Magnolia's medicine song and that one was hard to learn. And this is why I know nothing about music during the 80's. I was listening to Patch the Pirate.

My mom for some reason liked the Little by Little one. "Little by little, inch by inch. By the yard is hard, by the inch, what a cinch." :angry-banghead:

Kelly just replied to my question about the 800 invitations! One invite per family. Many were hand delivered. Therefore, the numbers could be off the out of control! :o

This is the bible belt, remember! The gift will probably consist of a homemade card with lots of bible verses and $25 per family.

Did she have a shower? I don't recall Kelly posting of one. She could have mentioned it in the comments. There are so many, I don't read them all.

OMG! A honeymoon to Ireland? Wow-how'd that happen???

Kelly just replied to my question about the 800 invitations! One invite per family. Many were hand delivered. Therefore, the numbers could be off the out of control! :o

So that's 800 FAMILIES invited? Holy fucking shit. That number could easily be in the thousands.

I'm so bummed the wedding is going to be on 19 Kids and Counting and we'll have to see Boob and the Duggars making it all about them instead of the Bates. I far prefer the Bates family the the Duggars and would rather see a return of United Bates of America.

My mom for some reason liked the Little by Little one. "Little by little, inch by inch. By the yard is hard, by the inch, what a cinch." :angry-banghead:

Thank you for getting that song stuck in my head. :lol: I'll have to go listen to MMMBop to get it out of it.

800 families and no RSVP that is insane.

Are they travelling to the Ireland with someone or just with each other? It just seems weird to me that Chad&Erin would go to another country without anybody else... Since they are used to be "never alone" right? How can they survive without their families? :P

Wait...so the wedding is going to be shown on 19 Kids and Counting? I thought the Bates family was getting its own special for the occasion.

In that case, I will also prepare to grieve over the fact that one or more Duggars will inevitably do something dumb and thoughtless to make it all about them instead of the married couple (Josh, I'm looking at you).

Yep, Kelly mentioned that in the comments that it was going to be on 19 kids. Betcha they're going to make it be about Jessa's courtship, or worse, Jessa's engagement.

Plus Duggar packing technique and inability to leave on time, though I'll put up with it if they don't sing or play violin at the wedding or show Jana looking sad.

Are there any fundie/Gothard enclaves in Ireland? I can't picture them without at least a church to attend. Maybe they'll combine their honeymoon with a mission trip?

I wish this wedding was being live streamed. But it sounds like it's only going to be on 19 Kids. Crap. I'd be willing to buy a skirt & make some Fundy food to eat while watching.

Erin better get working on that hair...you know it'll be at its tallest for the ceremony.

I hope Erin does a beehive hairdo, a really tall one. That way she can have something to stick a wedding tiara into. Wait, are fundies allowed to have wedding tiaras?

I still think this should be a separate special for the Bates family. Erin and Chad's wedding really has nothing to do with the Duggars at all, other than the fact that the Duggars are invited guests.

Edited because I am no longer vigorously humping legs, and am now a serial courter! :)

But how would we survive without Jim Blob cracking jokes, Michelle dabbing her eyes about it being a season of life, one of the J'slaves saying how sweet Erin was and what a perfect match it was, and the howlers hanging out of the van? How would we survive without them running on Duggar time and making Erin's day all about them? We just can't, you see.

I actually don't have a problem with 800 invites. It's not something I would do, but if the standard reception is a simple punch and cake affair in the church hall, the event can easily be accomplished with sheet cakes, simple decorations, and home sewn dresses. Most of the things on her small-ish registry are reasonably priced, and most were already purchased, so it doesn't seem to be an gift grab issue.

Also, it's the first wedding for the Bates family, and the first daughter's wedding at that. Lots of families have a huge shindig for the first kid's wedding, and then sort of work their way down because they don't feel that they have so many obligations to acquaintances.

I wonder whether Erin's hair will be taller than she is at the wedding.

This is rhetorical, right?

Do fundies want people to have fun at their wedding?

I am going to assume that the Bates have invited many quiverfull families. I would hope they have enough pews and chairs to allow the expecting mothers to sit during the service and reception. If all the families attend there could be 800 expecting mothers!! :lol:

Edited to fix smiley.

It reminds me of a teacher I had who had agreed with her fiance that they both wanted just a small wedding, only to find that while she thought that meant about 50 guests, he thought that meant 500. They're both Indian Christians, and huge weddings are common there.

I bet TLC is footing the bill and there will be a slightly more substantial. I hope it will be becase the cake and butter mint with mixed nuts and sherbet/ginger ale punch will read sad on TV.

Archived