IGNORED

Bates Wedding: 800 Invitations and Counting/Pirate MERGE

Justme

Why the hell am I going into the ministry, again? Jesus is no fun!

Jesus turned the water into wine. He wanted those folks to have a good time at that wedding.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't celebrate Easter because of it's "pagan" roots.

thats hillarious because EVERY ""'''"Christian"'""' Holiday has pagan roots. They just form fitted everything to fit a Christian idealist world and shit...

make it nice and jesus-y

Thats a lot of postage. I think for that amount of money, I could put myself in a box with airholes and mail myself to their wedding.

:lol: Getting a visual of this right now, that's awesome. If you go, you should totally pop out of the wedding cake.

Speaking of the cake, that sucker's going to have to be at least 15-20 tiers if they want enough to feed 800 people. I hope they plan accordingly for the wedding feast, it would suck if they only had cake and mints for so many guests.

Jesus turned the water into wine. He wanted those folks to have a good time at that wedding.

Oh, good. I still have something going for me. :violin:

That said, I wonder if my mother still has my old Patch the Pirate devotional books. I don't know if she has them, or if they are in storage with my brother. I should find out. It'd be kind of hysterical to read them now.

No RSVP? With 800 invitations? Are they inviting all those people to the reception with no way of knowing how many will actually show up? Even with a typical fundie (for my area) cake, mints & punch reception in the church basement, that's a recipe for disaster.

They are counting on the miracle of the loaves and fishes cheesecake. The food will miraculously increase, the room will expand to fit whoever comes, etc.

Exactly! My favorite Religion Professor in college (an ordained minister no less) pointed out to our Historical Jesus class once that Jesus would be the perfect wedding guest: He was a rabbi who could perform the ceremony, plus he could turn water into wine and make a fish and a loaf of bread feed 5,000 people! Talk about being able to have a wedding on a budget. Mebbe the Bates have invited Jesus, so they don't have to worry about how many will show up?

Remember a few seasons ago when they celebrated St. Patrick's Day and Michelle breathlessly shared (with that trance-like dullard look in her eyes) that she didn't realize that St. Patrick had been a Christian? No shit. Why do you think he has been called "Saint". I could rant about how St. Patrick's Day is also ripped off from pagan tradition, but I'll just mention that I was far too pleased when Michelle commented that the green food colored breakfast they ate that morning resulted in a lot of green colored poo in the Duggar plumbing system.

I haven't kept up with the wedding stuff, but 800??? Is she e-mailing the invitations? I wonder if TLC is footing the bill for the entire festival of fellowship. I'd watch that if it's not focused on the boring Duggars.

Seems like the typical superfastfundie wedding. How long have they been engaged?

We sail with Patch the Pirate across the ocean blue! We love to please our Saviour in all we say and do! We serve the King of Heaven and proudly bear his sword! We sail with Patch the Pirate! TO THE GLORY OF THE LO-ORD!

My church had a Patch the Pirate Club. I was Super Sailor of the Year in 2nd grade, guys. SUPER SAILOR OF THE YEAR. I'm sure it means something awesome in fundie circles. This was at what I'd call a fundie lite church.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Halloween. I know my mom banned it because "Jesus wouldn't go door to door beginning for candy." So, there you have it. Jesus hates candy, clearly. ;)

I am so grateful that my parents were heathens.

I glanced at the comments in Kelly Bates' blog (where it seems some of the juiciest info comes out lately!) on the most recent Pirate Patch post where she responded to one commenter:

Getting soooooooooo close!!!! Hmmm……not sure what to expect for attendance; there was no RSVP… She mailed 800 invitations…lol! Chad and Erin are singing and Rachel Leftwhich. Love, Kelly

This is truly going to be a fundie royalty wedding - someone questioned if the Maxwells will be there, which could very well be likely because it seems like they've invited every last person they've ever come in contact with!

Only one week to go!

I'm going out on a limb bc I'm not 100% sure if I'm thinking of the right situation, but how can these "I'm so modest and humble" fundies in any way justify inviting 800+ people to a wedding? :?

That's only 40 families. If Gil and Kelly and the other kids parents are all one of ten, voila! 800 aunts, uncles and first cousins.

I'm going out on a limb bc I'm not 100% sure if I'm thinking of the right situation, but how can these "I'm so modest and humble" fundies in any way justify inviting 800+ people to a wedding? :?

Well, it could just be a cultural thing. There are lots of cultures and subcultures where inviting that many people is the norm - heck, where 800 would be a small wedding. Orthodox Jewish and Indian weddings come to mine. I remember my mind being totally blown when a friend of mine from India told me his brother's wedding had over 2,000 people, and that was pretty average.

I think it's interesting how much time and posts this wedding gets versus Jessa's "courtship". The same is happening with other fundy love sites. Viewers clearly still have an interest in the Bates Family.

Oh sorry, I didn't see it was in the Pirate post! I looked around for the other Erin+Chad post, didn't think there was wedding talk in a post about a fundie pirate!

@Daisy - Jessa's courtship could get more discussion if it was as eventful, with the Bates we get more information more often, not having to wait months for tidbits, with little details from Kelly directly.

Also totally agree with the gift grabbing and lack of modesty in all this.

It took me a bit to find it. I had to try to force search to cooperate. I didn't find the other Erin and Chad thread either.

How can the families afford to host 800 people? I understand forgoing alcohol and a meal lowers the cost. But they still will have to provide parking, seating and cake. Favors alone could cost $400(at fifty cents each).

Parking is free just use the field next to the church. Seating? Who gets to sit? You mill around the church social hall after the ceremony or go outside on the playground while juggling your plate of cake. (I'm not joking!) What are these favors of which you speak? Fundie weddings don't usually have party favors unless you count the paper plate or cup. :)

Archived