IGNORED

Pope Francis called right-wing fundamentalism a sickness

Ralar

I can't decide if he's trying to lull us into liking him, or he's actually speaking what he believes.

He's a Jesuit. That's how they all are. The Jesuits are a cool bunch. Smart move by the Vatican choosing their first Jesuit as Pope.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 1950's I often had trouble sleeping at night because I was afraid the KKK would visit us, this was in upstate NewYork too.

When my grandfather and his brother opened a hotel and restaurant in the Catskills, the KKK burned a cross on the lawn. They didn't like the Italians either.

Don't believe everything you read.

Not sure about the *greatest* growth, but quite a bit has been noticed in the rural, less affluent northeast portion of the state.

True sightings:

In the early '80s, I went to look at a house (in a down-at-the-heels neighborhood) that was for sale. The living room was full of the kids' Holy Communion and Confirmation pics. The kids were happily working on a crafts project at the kitchen table. All nice and wholesome. Then I saw a plaque on the wall, with a picture of a hooded KKKer with his arm around a blonde woman's shoulder. The caption read: "KKK: Protector of White Womanhood." I couldn't get out if there fast enough.

A few years later, a pointy-hooded nerdy guy stood on a street corner, trying to hand out KKK brochures. Didn't look as if he was getting any takers

I probably know a lot more Catholics than you do and the majority of my Catholic friends do attend Mass and are active in the life of the Church. We are liberal, vote Democrat, and are involved in social justice which includes being opposed to the death sentence.

I probably know more Catholics than both of you put together, and I disagree with the "we are liberal, vote Dem, etc" statement. Catholics run the gamut from very conservative to very liberal. There is no "we are" when it comes to Catholics, except that we are all different.

I probably know more Catholics than both of you put together, and I disagree with the "we are liberal, vote Dem, etc" statement. Catholics run the gamut from very conservative to very liberal. There is no "we are" when it comes to Catholics, except that we are all different.

I interpreted that as her and her Catholic friends not as "We" being Catholics as a whole.

I don't think it is nessecary for us to count how many Catholics or Jews we know. I know far more Catholics than Jews because I am not practicing and have left all but a view vestigial practices. And I was speaking specifically of Memphis and specifically of a subset of Catholics I knew. I never intended to imply it represents a majority of Catholic thought.

However, it is also incorrect to imply Memphis has "few" catholics. While certainly they are a minority in comparison to Baptists they are third on the list of religions in memphis. Baptist being first, Other Christian being second and Catholic coming in 3rd. So it is a big force in the non-Baptist denominations and a major force in our private education (like it is most places)

I married into an Episcopal and Catholic family as well.

I believe the Pope was not speaking to non-Catholics only, but also to the Catholics who ignore social justice in lieu of political conservatism. But only he can say specifically.

WOW this has been very educational for me! I had no clue the KKK is/was active that far north.

Ohio is the other state with big growth in the KKK.

My posts haven't been posting, so I'll try again and sorry if I posted this before.

I view this as a variation on the cola wars. He is going against fundies for market share and donations. My understanding is that parts of South America are having a measurable number move from RC to fundamentalism, so he'd be very aware of the competition.

It is like Ford dogging on Chevy, Pepsi on Coke or Dems on Republicans.

I don't follow what the Pope has to say except in passing, any more than I follow the Dalai Lama or

It was actually a speaking/listening event, not a mass. He would not have been allowed to remain during mass simply because of everything going on at the altar.

Thanks for correction! :)

The fundies here in Alabama don't give a rat's ass what the Pope says. The Catholics I know are very liberal compared to fundies.

Archived