IGNORED

Pope Francis called right-wing fundamentalism a sickness

Ralar

During a daily Mass last week, Pope Francis called ideological Christianity “an illness†that doesn’t serve Jesus Christ. Instead, it “frightens†people and pushes them away from religion.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/21/pope-francis-right-wing-christians/

I'm not sure how I feel about Francis. On the surface he appears to be a decent guy, but he is the leader of a Church has been riddled with scandal since it's beginning. Publicly, he says the right things, but what does he say/do in less public arenas.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least Francis is understandable and is saying a lot of the right things. A more complete statement of that message is here:

news.va/en/news/disciples-of-the-lord-and-not-of-ideology

I'm looking forward to the fundie blog posts about this 'you criticized me, therefore you are trying to take away my rights, now let me write a few paragraphs on how bad papists are'

I can't decide if he's trying to lull us into liking him, or he's actually speaking what he believes.

I can't decide if he's trying to lull us into liking him, or he's actually speaking what he believes.

I think he's speaking what he believes. He is an orthodox Catholic which I don't think his predecessor was. Francis gives me hope for the first time since John XXIII. He is far more into social justice than past popes have been. He reminds me a great deal of Oscar Romero of El Salvador, that is a good thing, IMHO.

I think he's speaking what he believes. He is an orthodox Catholic which I don't think his predecessor was. Francis gives me hope for the first time since John XXIII. He is far more into social justice than past popes have been. He reminds me a great deal of Oscar Romero of El Salvador, that is a good thing, IMHO.

I wonder how much he was influenced by liberation theology as a young man in South America. He would have been ripe for influence in 70s.

The Catholic Church is what it is. I don't think anyone can expect the Pope to have a float at the gay pride parade, for example. The starting point is an institution with a dogma forbids all abortion and birth control, even if it's necessary to preserve life (unless they somehow twist the situation to fit the "secondary effect" exception), which disallows sex outside of heterosexual marriage and which doesn't allow women into the priesthood (and therefore the highest governing positions).

Given all that...this pope is pretty much all that we could hope for. There are competing camps within the Catholic church - the progressive wing which focuses on social justice and helping the poor, and the conservative wing which is more focused on right-wing fundamentalism. As Pope, Francis is a leader and source of inspiration for Catholics worldwide, and one of the main functions is to signal the direction of the church and focus attention on particular areas. If his words empower the progressive wing and leave the conservative wing flapping in the wind, that's a good thing.

Popes don't need to be liked, look at the last tool. I think he's got a biiiig agenda and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully he starts getting all sorts of revelations about contraception and other basic human rights issues.

Popes don't need to be liked, look at the last tool. I think he's got a biiiig agenda and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully he starts getting all sorts of revelations about contraception and other basic human rights issues.

Pope Francis is a Jesuit. They seem to be the most educated order of priests.

Pope Francis is a Jesuit. They seem to be the most educated order of priests.

They are the intellectuals of the Church.

This is the sort of stuff that I truly hope will decrease under Pope Francis:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ ... _abortion/

It obviously wasn't just one rogue priest who excommunicated the mother of a 9 year old Brazilian girl who aborted twins. There were a number of priests and higher-ups involved in the case. If there had been a Latin American pope at the time, declaring that the Church was focusing too much on a hardline agenda against abortion and not enough on actual compassion and helping people, could it have made a difference? The mother wasn't just ex-communicated - the priest publicized the fact that she was ex-communicated in order to send a signal to others. Did he think that by doing so, he was boosting himself in the Church, making it clear that he wasn't part of the liberation theology movement and hopefully impressing those higher up with his commitment to fighting abortion even in the worst circumstances? If so, would he have done so if the message from the Vatican was different, and if those in power (and those wanting to get closer to the Pope) were keen to emphasize compassion over hard-line tactics?

I hope Frothy reads this and chokes on it.

I hope so too. I have Catholic relatives who are a lot like Frothy and they probably aren't too happy with Francis right now.

My guess is that first we are going to see big changes in the way divorce and remarriage is treated through the Extraordinary Synod that will take place next October. I think that we will also see new avenues for leadership roles for women even in the Vatican itself, though not yet the priesthood.

I feel like I am repeating myself endlessly, but I will say it again anyway. I have heard a change of tone from my priests in the last six months, particularly the one who tends toward legalism and doctrine above all things. There has been a huge change in focus. He abruptly abandoned a promised series on how we were all being bad Catholics that had opened with a homily on "what you are doing wrong at mass" (most of which was not wrong) in April.

Additionally, our religious ed director decided that we could just skip the anti-abortion lessons that had been done annually in October. At a gathering of directors in the largest city in our Archdiocese, there was a discussion of why that focus is unnecessary and inappropriate with our kids, especially prior to late high school. The pope's words played a huge part in that change. As a new teacher of seventh graders, I was very relieved.

My guess is that first we are going to see big changes in the way divorce and remarriage is treated through the Extraordinary Synod that will take place next October. I think that we will also see new avenues for leadership roles for women even in the Vatican itself, though not yet the priesthood.

I feel like I am repeating myself endlessly, but I will say it again anyway. I have heard a change of tone from my priests in the last six months, particularly the one who tends toward legalism and doctrine above all things. There has been a huge change in focus. He abruptly abandoned a promised series on how we were all being bad Catholics that had opened with a homily on "what you are doing wrong at mass" (most of which was not wrong) in April.

Additionally, our religious ed director decided that we could just skip the anti-abortion lessons that had been done annually in October. At a gathering of directors in the largest city in our Archdiocese, there was a discussion of why that focus is unnecessary and inappropriate with our kids, especially prior to late high school. The pope's words played a huge part in that change. As a new teacher of seventh graders, I was very relieved.

That does sound hopeful.

During a daily Mass last week, Pope Francis called ideological Christianity “an illness†that doesn’t serve Jesus Christ. Instead, it “frightens†people and pushes them away from religion.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/21/pope-francis-right-wing-christians/

I'm not sure how I feel about Francis. On the surface he appears to be a decent guy, but he is the leader of a Church has been riddled with scandal since it's beginning. Publicly, he says the right things, but what does he say/do in less public arenas.

Basically, it is ok to judge Christians but not gays. Interesting.

He isn't talking about "all christians". He is talking about a particularly creepy sect. Just like there's a difference between, "All Mormons are molesters" and "Members of Warren Jessup's clan molest children". Or "all Muslims are terrorists" and "members of Al-Queda are terrorists."

:wink-kitty: Part of his job is to instruct and reprove the faithful. So if legalism/fundamentalism is getting in the way of Christians leading a Christian life, yes it's his job to talk about it.

Basically, it is ok to judge Christians but not gays. Interesting.

Actually, within his first few weeks as Pope he talked about not judging gays.

Actually, within his first few weeks as Pope he talked about not judging gays.

But only celibate priests who identify as gay. Which, BTW, Francis, if they are already abiding by the teachings of the church WRT their ministry, then YEAH, who are you to judge? But he maintains the church's official sense against recognizing the legitimacy of LGBT folks orientations and identities, which still calls them "gravely disordered."

And in the same breath he said the door was closed on women's ordination. So there's that.

I'll give him credit, he's much better in many ways than his predecessor, but he happily tows the line on keeping the womenz in their place.

It isn't exactly like Catholics and Protestants are historically known to be bffs. I doubt the fundies care, they probably believe the line that Catholics worship Mary over Jesus and God and you know how they feel about women... Rome also doesn't have the power to persecute protestants anymore (well certainly not in America) so it will be water off their backs.

Archived