IGNORED

J.Maxwell rents home to parents?

MamaJunebug

I can't be the only one who remembers some asshattish post about Catholics they eventually scrubbed. Sarah had taken a picture of a picturesque Catholic Church and had lovely commentary.

Plus, yeah I judge them, as stevoah knows. Because the peddle something that says they save and protect their kids from heartache and keep them pure. They imply that I was less whole for my spouse because I dated (although I married at a respectable in the fundy world age of 19) and yet they have two broken courtships and one broken engagement. (And were Chris's engagements? I can't remember). That is more than I have times 3. And I dated and wasn't whole and pure.

They judge. And they don't judge by anything they can observe, they judge by what they assume.

I believe they have two broken engagements (which of course means they had two courtships that led up to those engagements). Chris courted Sara Smith and I think when they announced it it was because they had become engaged and had set a wedding date. And then we know Joseph courted and was engaged to Elizabeth Munck and that ended a week before the wedding. To my knowledge, they haven't had any other broken courtships or engagements, but I do wonder sometimes if Sarah has courted and we just never knew about it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelliebell, I will buy you liquor.

Let's do shots!I prefer tequila. Then, if there's a Maxwell Brainwashing & Ruination of Lives Conference nearby, we can personally check if they're all wearing their homemade hair shirts. I wonder if they'd share their sewing pattern or do people have to pay for that too?

These crazies scare me more than most because there is something dangerously wrong with Steve & the isolation he insists upon enforces it. He would not allow his family near others unless it was to make a buck. And the real reason Joseph's house won't be for rent ever is because he wants control over it. No one could clean, maintain it etc like the Lil Dictator & his "cleaning party loving daughters". Both my mom & MIL are neat freaks but would never refer to it as a party.

Oh & fuck you Steve. You ain't fooling anyone here.

I hope Sarah experiences an orgasm with another human being before hitting menopause. I fear if she doesn't, it I'll only reinforce that brainwashing mom & dad did to her. Suppressing sexuality in adults is not only unhealthy, but sadistic Steve. I so hope karma's got you in the crosshairs.

Christopher had two broken courtship at thought right?

I don't remember a second one. Just the one with Sara Smith. And I've been following the blog since right around the time Nathan and Melanie had their first baby (that passed away). Maybe he had a courtship before that. Sara Smith had more than one failed courtship, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Christopher had two broken courtship at thought right?

They only talked about one in their blog. If there was a second, it wasn't published.

They only talked about one in their blog. If there was a second, it wasn't published.

Are you possibly thinking of Sara Smith(e?), Chris's intended? She definitely had two failed courtships.

I had a dream last night that I freed reversal Anna from the family. I somehow got her separated from them and started talking to her about the fact that she's an adult, she can do whatever she wants, there's a whole big world out there she's missing. And I took her to the mall to shop, and to a rock concert. Steve tried to intervene but I told him off. At one point in the dream, Anna was walking away from them towards me and yelling "Fuck you! Fuck every one of you! I have a life to live!" And I was so excited about coming to FJ and posting "you'll never guess who I spent the day with yesterday!"

Then I woke up. :(

ETA: I'm finally the sin in the camp, woo hoo!

Are you possibly thinking of Sara Smith(e?), Chris's intended? She definitely had two failed courtships.

I bet that is what I was thinking of is her two.

I can't be the only one who remembers some asshattish post about Catholics they eventually scrubbed. Sarah had taken a picture of a picturesque Catholic Church and had lovely commentary.

Plus, yeah I judge them, as stevoah knows. Because the peddle something that says they save and protect their kids from heartache and keep them pure. They imply that I was less whole for my spouse because I dated (although I married at a respectable in the fundy world age of 19) and yet they have two broken courtships and one broken engagement. (And were Chris's engagements? I can't remember). That is more than I have times 3. And I dated and wasn't whole and pure.

They judge. And they don't judge by anything they can observe, they judge by what they assume.

I think I remember it. Wasn't it on a blog post where they stopped in a small tourist town during one of their trips or when they were on what some might call a vacation. Sarah made some comment about the town only having one church and it wasn't a "real church" or something to the like.

I recently listened to a newer phone interview with Steve (not the one I had posted previously) and he talked about how his dad was absorbed in his hobbies and eventually took off with his best friend's wife. Literally like the former caused the latter. So it follows (to the mind of a child) that if no one can have hobbies nor friends there is no friend's wife to run off with. For all of Steve's blustering and acting like he's got it all figured out, he's still that hurt little boy trying to figure out a way to stop his daddy from abandoning him. I would almost feel sorry for him if he weren't destroying the lives of his family and everyone he foists his crap on.

I recently listened to a newer phone interview with Steve (not the one I had posted previously) and he talked about how his dad was absorbed in his hobbies and eventually took off with his best friend's wife. Literally like the former caused the latter. So it follows (to the mind of a child) that if no one can have hobbies nor friends there is no friend's wife to run off with. For all of Steve's blustering and acting like he's got it all figured out, he's still that hurt little boy trying to figure out a way to stop his daddy from abandoning him. I would almost feel sorry for him if he weren't destroying the lives of his family and everyone he foists his crap on.

Wow! Where did you hear this interview? I knew his parents divorced, but not why. I always got the vibe from him that he blamed his Mother and that was why he is so "down" on women.

Wow! Where did you hear this interview? I knew his parents divorced, but not why. I always got the vibe from him that he blamed his Mother and that was why he is so "down" on women.

I'm getting ready to leave work so I can't find it right now, but I'll try to find it this evening and post a link. The interview was about "Preparing Sons" but Steve mentioned his dad clearing out with his best friend's wife as part of his explanation that he didn't grow up in a christian family.

So I posted.

So I am the naysayer you met in Memphis. Here is the thing, you do judge. What about when you judge the man and wife who accidentally let you see down her top? What about when you took Sara to the airport for the eye traps? What about how you believe those who date do not have whole hearts? (Even though you have two broken engagements with your kids?). You judge based on assumptions.

I do judge you, as I stated that day. I believe you have ruined your children and you have a cult. I believe you have failed miserably in loving God and Christ. I believe you do not understand what Jesus told us in the parable of the Good Samaritan. I judge you based on your words and your actions. You judge others based on your assumptions about who they are. Judge if you need to, but own it. Don't lie.

Sorry, having trouble posting the link on my tablet. It's episode 5 of How to be a Dad Today podcast. I relistened to part of the episode and Steve said he was in his early teens when his dad took off. I missed that the first rime through. Never the less, I still say that's the root of his crazy.

Nothing else too interesting in it. It was amusing listening to him sidestep questions about what the girls do with money they earn. He goes on to talk about how Terri wrote the fist book half an hour at a time and it didn't take time away from the family. Two minutes later he says wives shouldn't work from home because it pretty much always gets out of control and takes time away from the family. Typical Steve crap.

Sheesh, I hope Sarah experiences orgasm with herself!

Me too, but doubt it. Maybe someone should send her a discreet vibrator wrapped in a Vera Bradley purse.

That explains so much!! Thanks for the information.

Didn't she have a blog?

Didn't she have a blog?

She did and I think still does, although she's not very active. She blogged about the breakup of her engagements but I think she didn't do it at the time they were broken so it was difficult to match events to the "suspects". This is going back a long time, and I don't remember exactly what was said.

... There will ALWAYS be Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm?

She did and I think still does, although she's not very active. She blogged about the breakup of her engagements but I think she didn't do it at the time they were broken so it was difficult to match events to the "suspects". This is going back a long time, and I don't remember exactly what was said.

I vaguely remember this.

Dru, thanks for the heads up on that interview. I knew Steve held a grudge against his dad, but I didn't know the guy actually abandoned the family.

That explains a lot about Steve and his need to control and micro manage everything.

I'm going to play armchair therapist here, and say, along with his being a hurt little boy, he is also an angry little boy.

It also explains why he was so freakin' upset when he accidentally looked down the blouse of his friend's wife.

If Steve wasn't such a jackass who has manipulated his family, I'd almost feel sorry for him.

For the record I have no specific issue with the adult kids living at home. But it is not superior (as we know) and I find it weird that your character references are your parents and siblings. Those aren't good character references at all.

I have no problem with any combination of relatives or friends living together for company, comfort and financial reasons -- I've seen all kinds of situations work well. Extended family sharing a home has been part of the human experience throughout history.

I've lived in the same home as my parents at various times in my life, and had a cousin who lived in the home in which he grew up, with his parents, his whole life (sadly cut short at 52 due to leukemia), other than college and law school. It's quite possible to live with one's parents, be respected as an adult, and have lots of options to live freely.

I think we all know that that's not what's happening at the Maxwells' house. But, as awful as it looks to us, the Maxwell "kids" could be numb to it by now, and as happy as they know how to be.

Of course I have no idea if, deep down, the younger Maxwells hate their situation, but I doubt it. Reading some of "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" and the other things Steve has said about how he stifles kids, it sounds like slow indoctrination, a gradual process of lovingly persuading a child that everything they want that doesn't fit the narrow path the parent has laid out would be sinful, impractical, or terrifying.

Y'know, just because the parent loves that child soooooo much.

Being restricted in the straightjacket that is their lives is the only kind of love the Maxwell second generation has known, with the added bonus of thinking that how they live will please God and get them into heaven. As much as we may look at it and think "how can they stand it? They must be miserable," they probably aren't. I suspect they are sincere in their defense of the whole mess.

And, to me, that (combined with under-educating them) is the worst horror of what Steve has done.

Archived