IGNORED

Badeau Family 22 kids

fundiefun

From the endorsement comments, they are Christian, but not necessarily dominionistic nor non-egalitarian.

Long time ago I briefly met a man who with his wife continued to adopt hard-to-place children, and raise them to as independent lives as possible, when they were well into their 50s. Never will forget the image of this man riding a toddler-size merry-go-round, keeping a weak 2-year-old safe on the horsie, and the man was bouncing slightly side-to-side in time with the music, just enjoying life and raising a little who was younger than many of his bio grandkids.

Good thoughts. :) IF the Badeau family inspire others to do mini-versions of their good works, I'm all for 'em.

I had a look at their site and was impressed, they worked almost endlessly to keep sibling groups together, and they admit that things can be very hard....in many ways media coverage of families like this would appeal to me much more than watching The Duggars, but I'd not want them to have the intrusion of reality tv into their children's lives, maybe a one off documentary? Anyway I enjoyed the link, thanks for that.

Like the DeBolts. I remember watching a doc on them back in the 70's. Glad there are good people out there because Lori and Kelly sure as heck aren't lining up to raise these kids.

A lot of the older large adoption families I've noticed seemed more down to earth and don't have the holier than thou Christian mission complex like a lot of the families we see. Many of these families have been doing this since the 80's and some even in the 70's on up where there was no media exposure or quick buck to be made off being seen as holy and on a mission.

I was wondering if Sue would ever come up here. She's a friend of mine. She is Christian but the real kind. She honors the religious traditions of her kids that did not come from a Ch ristian background. Her husband is a SAHD and she works.

Like the DeBolts. I remember watching a doc on them back in the 70's. Glad there are good people out there because Lori and Kelly sure as heck aren't lining up to raise these kids.

I knew the DeBolts from church growing up (liberal Presbyterian). They were fabulous people. I wasn't very close with the kids; the bio kids were older and the adopted kids younger (and at a different school), but my youth group held fundraisers (usually spaghetti feeds and the like) for them at least twice a year. Not as if they needed the money and asked for the attention; we chose to do this for them.

A lot of the older large adoption families I've noticed seemed more down to earth and don't have the holier than thou Christian mission complex like a lot of the families we see. Many of these families have been doing this since the 80's and some even in the 70's on up where there was no media exposure or quick buck to be made off being seen as holy and on a mission.

My husband grew up in a family of 23. It included 2 large sibling group adoptions. His family was not rich but his mom adored and took care of all of the kids herself. My MIl was adopted after her mom died in childbirth by a very abusive couple so she had a strong desire to adopt. Both sibling groups came after the kids lost both parents. My MIL didn't want to see the kids spilt up and she already had 13 kids took the 2 sibling groups in without question. It seemed like it was a lot easier back then. My MIL wanted to see the kids stay together and continue at the same school and have the same friends. Another part that amazed me was my MIL was LDS and the last sibling group was catholic and she took them to the catholic church. She attended their confirmations and was so proud of them and never once pushed her faith on them.

I have noticed the same thing about the older large adoption families. One large adoptive family that I like quite a bit is the Murphy family from Georgia. I don't know if they are religious. John and Jeanette describe themselves as ex-hippies. They have four biological children and they adopted 21 kids who have special needs. Two of their adopted children have died. There was a documentary about them and they both came off as down to earth.

I have noticed the same thing about the older large adoption families. One large adoptive family that I like quite a bit is the Murphy family from Georgia. I don't know if they are religious. John and Jeanette describe themselves as ex-hippies. They have four biological children and they adopted 21 kids who have special needs. Two of their adopted children have died. There was a documentary about them and they both came off as down to earth.

I remember the Murphy's. they r religious (catholic I think).

While not everyone is suited for adoption, it is wonderful giving kids a home who need one. Quiverfull should pay attention. But I guess the Patriarchs want everyone to know they still do the deed with their wife. A large family or any family doesn't have to be blood related.

Does anyone have the link to the Murphy's documentary? I remember watching it. I just can't find it.

The documentary was up on youtube for awhile, but it got taken down. I would like to see it again and I wish TLC would do an update on them.

While not everyone is suited for adoption, it is wonderful giving kids a home who need one. Quiverfull should pay attention. But I guess the Patriarchs want everyone to know they still do the deed with their wife. A large family or any family doesn't have to be blood related.

No actually, Quiverfull should not pay attention. The only decent thing about the movement is the fact it discourages adoption due to generational sin. Anyone who is a dominionist has no business adopting. It's bad enough how many fundamentalist Christians outside of Quiverfull feel the "call".

My husband grew up in a family of 23. It included 2 large sibling group adoptions. His family was not rich but his mom adored and took care of all of the kids herself. My MIl was adopted after her mom died in childbirth by a very abusive couple so she had a strong desire to adopt. Both sibling groups came after the kids lost both parents. My MIL didn't want to see the kids spilt up and she already had 13 kids took the 2 sibling groups in without question. It seemed like it was a lot easier back then. My MIL wanted to see the kids stay together and continue at the same school and have the same friends. Another part that amazed me was my MIL was LDS and the last sibling group was catholic and she took them to the catholic church. She attended their confirmations and was so proud of them and never once pushed her faith on them.

Sounds like your MIL was a saint!! What a wonderful thing for her to do.

There was a blog I used to follow, of a family with a large number of kids from disrupted adoptions, or other special needs. I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it is, and googling random word combinations has not been helpful. It's driving me nuts. Anybody have any suggestions?

There was a blog I used to follow, of a family with a large number of kids from disrupted adoptions, or other special needs. I can't for the life of me remember what the name of it is, and googling random word combinations has not been helpful. It's driving me nuts. Anybody have any suggestions?

You could try looking here: megafamilies.blogspot.co.uk/

Its a list of loads of large family blogs, and there are a lot on there with people who have adopted large numbers of children, including ones with special needs. Even very large families, the biggest have 37, 39 and 52 (why would anyone have that many?? Although the biggest family only has 20 children and is counting all the foster children theyve ever had).

You could try looking here: megafamilies.blogspot.co.uk/

Its a list of loads of large family blogs, and there are a lot on there with people who have adopted large numbers of children, including ones with special needs. Even very large families, the biggest have 37, 39 and 52 (why would anyone have that many?? Although the biggest family only has 20 children and is counting all the foster children theyve ever had).

That's actually where I found the blog initially, but it isn't listed there anymore.

See J'chelle? God only blesses you with 20+ kids if you aren't a sanctimonious, hypocritical, fame-hungry douchebag.

There's a woman in California who has 60-something adopted boys. I used to read her updates on allourboys.com (the old website had a separate section for each boy that detailed his progress and challenges, the new website is more impersonal and not as interesting to read). I am conflicted about this family - on one hand, they only took in the children that no one else wanted, most were older, all have some disability, many were disrupted adoptions. She doesn't force religion on them and very much instills independence. On the other hand, it is clearly a challenge to parent all these kids (she divorced a few years ago, and her ex-husband was a quadraplegic) and I wonder how some of the more high-functioning kids feel about living in constant chaos. But she has a lot of hired help, so the kids are definitely not neglected. And these kids definitely have a better life than they would have had elsewhere.

There's a woman in California who has 60-something adopted boys. I used to read her updates on allourboys.com (the old website had a separate section for each boy that detailed his progress and challenges, the new website is more impersonal and not as interesting to read). I am conflicted about this family - on one hand, they only took in the children that no one else wanted, most were older, all have some disability, many were disrupted adoptions. She doesn't force religion on them and very much instills independence. On the other hand, it is clearly a challenge to parent all these kids (she divorced a few years ago, and her ex-husband was a quadraplegic) and I wonder how some of the more high-functioning kids feel about living in constant chaos. But she has a lot of hired help, so the kids are definitely not neglected. And these kids definitely have a better life than they would have had elsewhere.

I'm also conflicted about Ann Belles. She has talked about having the desire to adopt boys since seeing Oliver as child. I think the problem with her is that she has adopted too often. On the Child Collectors Extraordinaire thread, a former FJer said something about her stepson living near Ann and that Ann gets assistance from Rick Warren and his church. There are older articles where Ann admits to having issues with her neighbors and there was an article in which a woman said she had to pull her child from the school that some of Ann's sons attended. The woman said that the Silcock boys were monopolizing the special ed program. There is also more recent article about one of boys adopted from Russia, he moved out a few years back and said there were issues due to the family size. I also recall two of the boys who are biological brothers moved out of state with their birth relatives.

Yay, more Ann Belles followers!

I really miss their old website where she gave updates on each individual kid. She was very honest about their challenges and disabilities. I think the revamped website is supposed to make the family more attractive in case they get some kind of TV deal. A few years ago the family appeared on Bank of Hollywood, where they won a wheelchair accessible van, and they also got a bunch of publicity from appearing on Nanny 911. Ann also encourages her kids to get into acting/theater, most of the kids have an acting resume and headshots. I'm not sure if I'd call her desperate for attention, but I think she would appreciate the income that would result from a TV deal.

Did she say how they were monopolizing the Special Ed program.

I don't remember all of the details regarding that. Another FJer might know more about it. My guesses are that some of the boys with more severe needs took up a lot of time and resources from the special ed program.

Archived