IGNORED

Happy 33rd birthday, Paul Arndt!

JenniferJuniper

Hmm, it seems to me like nail polish in general just isn't big right now like it used to be. I would recommend a natural look if your nails are in good shape, maybe either a no polish manicure or a french manicure but not the airbrush kind. Where I live I can usually get a manicure for only about $12.

Hmm, I disagree, I think nail polish and nail art are really huge right now. I see lots of cool designs in fashion mags all the time.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if this is old news but this is the first I had heard of this family, and I searched for their website and found this wonderful description:

"Our all-natural free-range children are all uterus-bred. No adoptees added."

Wait, is that an actual quote?

Speaking of Arndt weirdness, has anyone else checked out the Games section of their site? There's this interesting choose your own adventure style game made by Mark - the player is a prisoner presenting his case to the parole board.

famteam.com/parole/parole.htm

I gotta agree Ruby I'm troubled by the premise that PA should be suicidal because he's not married with kids. Married with kids isn't a marker that you've "made it". Plenty of messed up people are married and have produced offspring. No special qualifications needed for that.

I don't agree with the Arndt lifestyle brecause they've hobbled their sons and brainwashed them but just being 33 and at home working in the family business

is not a case of "better off dead". It's also an insult to people who reject marriage and kids -- maybe some of them think their talents lie elsewhere so they don't want to persue some hackneyed sexist course through life.

And how is it being a troll exactly?

Hmm, I disagree, I think nail polish and nail art are really huge right now. I see lots of cool designs in fashion mags all the time.

I'm not a nail polish or makeup kind of gal (though I agree nail art seems to be pretty popular these days -- I live in a rural/ranching community of under a thousand people and the hair salon does all sorts of nail-dos...

Anyway, just thought I'd add in that, while I haven't owned color nail polish in decades, I did recently discover that I still have a bit of clear nail polish in my stash. Well, I don't use any polish on my nails (I generally bite them back as soon as they get long enough to get in the way of my gardening or other household tasks), but I didn't want to waste the polish, nor did I want to just store it forever (I'm kinda on a major decluttering kick). So with a moment's thought, I found a good use for it -- dabbed on the rust spots on the metal driveway gate, where the chain hits the gate and chips away the paint. Hopefully it will keep the rust from spreading. A good enough idea that I actually decided to keep the jar of polish for future gate touchups, though now the polish can be kept in the shed with the other yard stuff instead of in the bathroom cabinet...

Oh, and happy birthday, Paul Arndt! :dance:

I'm starting a new job tomorrow morning. Not sure of the office dress code/culture yet so I'm going with conservative gray and black. Thoughts on a nail color? I hate pinks and mauves.

I have Revlon Stormy on my toes right now. It's a grey-purple, very office-appropriate. I had it on my fingernails last week and it wore well for about six days with no chipping.

Also, it's super weird that they're driving through Colorado and have mentioned the beautiful scenery (and a rainbow!) but said nothing about the catastrophic flooding. Not even a "pray for the people who are still unaccounted for."

no one is making fun of them? This isn't your first time here, is it? There are literally hundreds of pages of posts making fun of them. And she certainly did insinuate that he should kill himself. She said she would consider it, and the insinuation was that he should, too.

I don't think that bullying someone and saying "you are so insignificant, if I was you I would consider suicide" is fucking funny AT ALL. I guess that poster wasn't the only one with a problem, if you see nothing wrong with her horrific statement.

Edited to add: a girl in my niece's grade was being harassed online. She was constantly being told to kill herself. Last year, she jumped from a ledge in a nearby state park. Hahaha! That's hysterical, right? "Chill out and calm down" - I think no. This is a serious problem and is only perpetuated by people like you making excuses and turning a blind eye. I'm not one of those people and I am not sorry for correcting her. Or you.

HomegirlRuby, you're putting words into my keyboard.

Allow me to offer some clarification.

I was raised by a single mother who was fully within the grips of both alcoholism and full-blown schizophrenia. My childhood was an endless parade of insanity, interspersed with random acts of humiliation. She was determined to keep me by her side so that I would take care of her always. I managed to get the hell away, marry the man of my dreams, and make a life for myself, away from her insanity. When I posted, I compared my own life to what it might have been if I had stayed with my mother up until Paul's current age, not what it would have been and feeling suicidal if I had Paul's life instead. I have stated that I am now 34, a year older than he is.

If I had stayed with my cruel, alcoholic, mentally ill mother, I can completely guarantee you that I would have taken my life before now.

I never once suggested that Paul kill himself, nor would I want that for him. I hope he eventually leaves the family home and makes a happy life for himself.

You know, I just got done reading the thread about the Duggars and all the speculation about Jessa's potential new courtship. Many have suggested that we not jump to conclusions because we don't have all the information about them yet. Never have I taken such advice to heart until now. I disappear for 24 hours, and all of a sudden, I am bullying a fundie man and suggesting he kill himself because he has a life that is different than my own.

NO.

Oh, I see we're on the manicure maneuver now.

I have been asked to participate in a fundraiser for rights for same-sex couples. When we have the dinner, I plan to paint my nails with a set of multicolor metallics I purchased, the brand is Kleancolor. I want to have a different color for each finger so my hands look like a rainbow.

The paints are very inexpensively priced if you get them in a set on ebay.

@RescindedandMended: If you don't mind, what state is the fundraiser in? I follow marriage equality in OH closely because that's partner's home state.

Nail care then Arndt comment.

I've got notoriously brittle, thin, "eggshell" nails so I must needs keep 'em short, and polish is a waste. That doesn't mean mine don't shine like they're polished, because......I use a 3-stage buffer. Came from Avani Dead Sea beauty products, IIRC. Stage 1 is kind of an extremely light sanding, Stage 2 is even finer, Stage 3 is a soft buffer.

Ardnt comment: Mama Arndt wears those white short-shorts and tunic tops to dinner at The Longhorn? Say wha'? I'm all for showing off one's nice-looking parts, but sitting on those faux-leather cushions with bare legs, ew! Can you say "sticky" and if not sticky .... I dunno, my bare skin on a surface where someone else's bare skin was previously? No.

Especially when it's the same bare skins that makes contact with toilet seats. Ok, fine, call me a wussy germaphobe. I just find it beyond my ken, on several levels, that Mrs. Arndt wears short-shorts EVERYWHERE. :hand:

@RescindedandMended: If you don't mind, what state is the fundraiser in? I follow marriage equality in OH closely because that's partner's home state.

We're in Texas. Right now, it's mainly just talk, but I have a friend who is a college professor who wants to put something together. He is not "out" to the other members of the staff just yet, but he has recently been promoted to the head of his department, and he is quietly running through his options.

Julep has this o2 nail stuff. I'm not sure if it actually does anything, but I put it on when my nails get chipped or peeley and it does seem to help! I paint my nails a LOT and I just paint over this stuff. http://www.julep.com/shop/best-sellers/ ... tment.html

Yay! Another Julep user! I LOVE their colors. All of them. It's terrible - I spend way too much money on nail polish.

I have a pretty good-sized collection of nail colors, and noticed some of my older ones were starting to separate and clump. Most bottles of polish come with a small silver ball in them so that you can mix the paint by rolling the bottle between your palms. Some of mine don't have the mixing ball in them, so I bought a set of silver BBs from a sporting goods store. I dropped 3-4 in each nail color, and discovered that having more than one BB in each helped do a better job of mixing the colors. The paints that I was about to toss out are now fully revived. :)

This thread is making me wish I could stop biting and picking at my fingers.

I've mostly quit biting my nails after 30 years. Mostly as in, if I for the most part have kicked the habit. I did last fall, then I had a relapse last spring, and for the past few months I've been back on board. Honestly, the way I've been able to break myself is by getting a gel manicure. Those things last at least 3 weeks, so that gives yourself a good cushion of time to stop biting. After that, I'll remove the polish (which is a bitch, but it can be done) and I'll paint and manicure myself.

I might try some of the vitamin suggestions...I always heard nails are an indicator of health, and as I'm not an avid taker of vitamins and I'm not the healthiest of eaters I'm probably not getting all my nutrients.

I've got well over 130 nail polishes. :embarrassed: I'm all about CND Vinylux at the moment.

You make me feel better, miffy. When I was sorting and mixing BBs into my polishes a few days ago, I counted at least 90. :embarrassed:

I gathered about twenty of them to give away to two of my friends' daughters, but need to get rid of more. My biggest problem is that I misplace my favorite OPI gold and frost red polishes, so I wind up thinking they've been tossed out and I replace them. I need to keep better track of them, I love my OPIs but they sure are expensive.

I've mostly quit biting my nails after 30 years. Mostly as in, if I for the most part have kicked the habit. I did last fall, then I had a relapse last spring, and for the past few months I've been back on board. Honestly, the way I've been able to break myself is by getting a gel manicure. Those things last at least 3 weeks, so that gives yourself a good cushion of time to stop biting. After that, I'll remove the polish (which is a bitch, but it can be done) and I'll paint and manicure myself.

I might try some of the vitamin suggestions...I always heard nails are an indicator of health, and as I'm not an avid taker of vitamins and I'm not the healthiest of eaters I'm probably not getting all my nutrients.

My big issue is picking at my cuticles. It's disgusting and my hands look gross. I wear gloves for several hours per day while at work, and I think that's helping a bit. I'm thinking about a manicure but I seriously think the nail ladies would just laugh at me.

Has this family ever missed having birthday cake in Mom's and Dad's bedroom? We have celebrated over 75 birthdays for my children, collectively, and not once has the cake ever made it to our bedroom. And some years we have had 2 to 4 cakes for an individual child's birthday because there were lots of people around to celebrate; still no cakes in the bedroom.

Archived