IGNORED

It's time to act like men

Maggie Mae

All these crazy "manly" stunts just reinforces the idea that these are insecure men acting out to "prove" their manliness. It reminds me of junior high boys who pull stupid stunts to impress girls. Guys, it didn't impress me when I was 12, it's not going to impress me now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I am not even impressed with their manly men bear 'encounter.'

We had a black bear lumber his way through the area, seen at a park full of children. Police and news advised, basically, 'don't start no shit with the bear and there won't be no shit with the bear.'

He came through and was spotted several times again, last seen headed back to the mountains. He traveled several hundred miles, through suburbia at times, without incident.

All these crazy "manly" stunts just reinforces the idea that these are insecure men acting out to "prove" their manliness. It reminds me of junior high boys who pull stupid stunts to impress girls. Guys, it didn't impress me when I was 12, it's not going to impress me now.

Have you got an...anaconda? If not, I don't think Doug wants to impress you. :twisted:

Side note: I was once asked by a tourist "what's the best time to see the sheep? I hear they like to come out on the side of the Seward highway, and I'd like to see them." As though sheep have some sort of schedule. Now when we drive south down the peninsula we always ask each other "so, what time is the goat show?" And other silly jokes.

I can kind of understand the tourist asking this, though. We have a lot of deer in our part of suburbia, and live near the local metroparks. We know if we want to go "deer watching" there are certain times of the day when our chances of seeing the deer out and about are higher than other times, like at dusk. They probably assumed the sheep were like the deer, more active during certain parts of the day.

But to bring this back on topic, Doug Phillips is a Tool :music-tool:

ETA: Hey, wait a minute: They made a "5-mile ascent" and hiked "4,000 vertical feet." A 5-mile hike that covers less than a mile of vertical distance? That's it?

And also: get your big waffle stompers back on the trail and quit ripping up the tundra, you yahoos! The damage from your manly stunt won't grow back for years!

I was sort of thinking the same about their manly hike, but I wasn't sure if I was reading it right or not. Kind of seemed like the Maxwell's hike in CO was more strenuous than that, and they did it in skirts!

Doug Phillips (who is a big tool) would try and make everything seem dangrous. He would probably blog about feeding a little fluffy kitten as if he was feeding hungry wild tigers.

Meh, I am not even impressed with their manly men bear 'encounter.'

We had a black bear lumber his way through the area, seen at a park full of children. Police and news advised, basically, 'don't start no shit with the bear and there won't be no shit with the bear.'

He came through and was spotted several times again, last seen headed back to the mountains. He traveled several hundred miles, through suburbia at times, without incident.

We get Kodiak bears coming through town on a regular basis. Last year, children had to trick-or-treat in groups and avoid taking shortcuts because there was at least one bear roaming the subdivisions. Sometimes the school bus has to avoid certain routes because waiting at the bus stop in the dark would be dangerous; kids whose parents can't get them a ride to school on short notice are excused. It isn't a big deal. You just take precautions.

Or you call the lady ranger to come take dominion over the bear with a tranq rifle and truck it back out to the wilderness where it belongs.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping because anybody who likes the new "Grecian adventure" thread is going to love this one.

Tl;dr about this Alaskan manliness exercise: Group of utter greenhorns arrives at lodge that specializes in business junkets, takes standard junket "adventure" package, pretends they were doing something much more difficult, takes photos of pushups on tundra as evidence of dominion. :music-tool:

Heh, my family is in the process of buying a house in a neighborhood that has regular black bear sightings. It's in a suburb of Hartford, Connecticut. Take that, Dougie.

Archived