IGNORED

It's time to act like men

Maggie Mae

Hazardous Journey bootcamp report is out:

hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/08/its-time-to-act-like-men.php

I don't know where to begin. Probably going to question the fact that they had packs ranging from 30-60lbs and haven't they heard of distribution and/or packing light? I thought they stayed in a lodge, but the report makes it sound like they spent 10 days backpacking (which I doubt).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pic, reminds me of field trip week in 5th grade - we hiked up such a hill too and down we sled on hay-filled plastic sacks ... I wish I had such flamboyant neon pink gloves though :mrgreen:

I got a kick out of the Iceland one in "southern Iceland." That's where practically all the people live. When I was in Iceland a few years ago, I met a woman who had just celebrated her 60th birthday by climbing a glacier, and who didn't consider it all that "hazardous." But teh manly manly men must have found it all life-threatening, what with that terrifying geothermal energy at the Blue Lagoon Spa.

Maybe they really just want to pull our leg? I mean " Our team slept under the stars, fished in rivers and streams, encountered bear, fox, and sheep, and summited mountains" (which mountains?)

Deconstruction time!

Manhood, Risk, and Dominion in the Untamed Alaskan Outback

A Report on the 2013 Hazardous Journeys Bootcamp: Alaskan Untamed by Austin F Collins

The Outback is in Australia. You were in the Alaskan Bush. 40 percent of your grade for this report depended on research. F. See me after class.

Snipped introductory paragraph about how big and wild Alaska is.

In Alaska we find the very best elements needed for a true hazardous journey experience, which is why we selected it for the HJS’s 2013 national expedition. Assisting me on the adventure was our wilderness responder, Justice Phillips, and Director of International Expeditions, Joshua Phillips. our local host and guide was Preston Cavner of the noteworthy Alaskan guiding company, Cavner and Julian, and future HJS expedition leader to Kazakhstan.

Translation: This year's family camping expedition was based at a lodge that specializes in business junkets.

Our team included young men and fathers and sons who hailed from the Atlantic Coast of New Jersey to the Pacific Coast of California, and places in between, including the mountains of Wyoming. The team was made up of athletes, ex-military men, a fit 12-year-old, and men nearing their 50s.

As is common at Alaskan lodges that specialize in business junkets.

Regardless of background, every man was stretched. I would say that every man was humbled—humbled physically, humbled in ability to endure, to receive help, to cast vision, to embrace challenge, and to continue with the mission.

Translation: This particular lodge offers a full menu of non-extreme challenges calculated to leave you pleasantly tired and hungry, and we did a lot of them. ("Cast vision?" What does that even mean?)

Over the course of ten days, the men were exposed to biblical principles of leadership, including the HJS themes of Christian manhood, appropriate risk to meet challenges, and the doctrine of dominion, with its emphasis on the Lordship of Christ over all of creation.

Oh, is that what it means? I thought it meant "We rule, you drool." That seems to be how you live it out.

Also, the rest of the Church has accepted the Lordship of Christ over all of creation for about 20 centuries so far, without any need for a doctrine of dominion or your tool boss's playacting.

Our team slept under the stars, fished in rivers and streams, encountered bear, fox, and sheep, and summited mountains.

All standard offerings at the lodge.

The men carried packs ranging from 30-60 lbs., hiking through near freezing rivers to reach their goal, climbing nearly 4,000 vertical feet. At times the onslaught of fatigue and the size of the task ahead was nearly overwhelming.On day five, for example, our backcountry hikers paired up to cross a waist-deep, glacier-fed, near-freezing stream. Next, our team traversed trail-less, boulder-filled, rolling hills. Rockslides and crashing rocks left smells of freshly crushed stone, like gun powder; sure footing and constant awareness were necessities. In the middle of our 5-mile ascent, one man found himself paralyzed as he traversed a rock-laden 45-degree slope on the banks of a rushing river which swept away everything in its path. In the midst of this challenge, this man’s son removed his father’s pack, took away a great burden, and helped him get past the danger. Both father and son realized a victory—a son taking upon himself the yoke of his father, and a father receiving the aid of his son. At one point, it was necessary for each man to step in the footsteps of the man ahead of him as they crossed the snow-laden and icy saddle of a mountain pass. Our mission completed, the team members rejoiced in what was, for most, one of the greatest physical challenges of their lives.

Otherwise known as a strenuous day hike. You were not camping out in the Bush for ten days straight. Quit pretending that you were!

Guided hikes like this are available through our local Audubon Society. Led by women.

Speaking of women, did any of the guests ever know that the Julian in Cavner & Julian, co-founder of the company, is a woman? And until she lost her feet in a plane crash, she was guiding too? Or didn't that fit into your awesome doctrine of dominion, there, Doug Phillips is a Tool?

OFFS! I'm a senior citizen of the female persuasion (in case that wasn't obvious) and they didn't do anything I don't do at least once a year, including crossing steep talus slopes and snowfields. EXCEPT I don't trample on fragile alpine tundra. Seriously, their guides let them do their pushups on that extremely vulnerable vegetation?

Maybe they really just want to pull our leg? I mean " Our team slept under the stars, fished in rivers and streams, encountered bear, fox, and sheep, and summited mountains" (which mountains?)

I am not sure how being in a tent or a fancy lodge is "sleeping under the stars", I guess you are still under them?? Oh those dangerous foxen, watch out for those, and those sheep, they will eat your face right OFF, this is just silly Xian man nonsense!! And where is Dougie (who is a tool) anyway, didn't he go on this hazardous journey???

I am not sure how being in a tent or a fancy lodge is "sleeping under the stars", I guess you are still under them?? Oh those dangerous foxen, watch out for those, and those sheep, they will eat your face right OFF, this is just silly Xian man nonsense!! And where is Dougie (who is a tool) anyway, didn't he go on this hazardous journey???

Maybe the sheep scared him off? They can be scary :mrgreen: 745px-Tiroler_Bergschaf_Kopf.jpg

OFFS! I'm a senior citizen of the female persuasion (in case that wasn't obvious) and they didn't do anything I don't do at least once a year, including crossing steep talus slopes and snowfields. EXCEPT I don't trample on fragile alpine tundra. Seriously, their guides let them do their pushups on that extremely vulnerable vegetation?
\

Had to have pictorial proof of the assertive thrust of their dominion, donchaknow.

Doug (Phillips who is a tool) is back at the luxurious, yet rustic-looking, lodge, having his khakis starched. Grass stains are so difficult to get out of your trousers!

Perhaps he's involved in a sweaty, manly romp on a Grecian island--didn't he have some free vacation Biblical exploration thing scheduled there around now?

I would pay to watch them go on these "journeys". I bet they overreact to every tiny thing. It would be hilarious.

What a joke. It's so over-the-top that if I didn't know better, I would think it was a parody. If they want to go have these vacations and do this sort of stuff, fine. But don't pretend it's some huge trial; they are just making themselves look stupid.

By utter coincidence, I have the Spamalot album in my car's CD player right now. Let's sing!

"Bravely bold Sir Robin

Set forth from Camelot;

He was not afraid to die,

No, not Sir Robin--

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin..."

I haven't laughed so much in days. My mother is telling me to be kind to those poor people, because they probably don't have many friends.

I think they need editors on the web site.

"

Receive Training, Experience, and Encouragement

Be exposed and equipped with a fuller understanding of our role in being a risk-taking, man-building, and dominion-minded men who are willing to see God be glorified in all areas of life, including His created world.

"

I enjoy the "man-building, and dominion-minded men." Let's build a man! Let's build it, let's build it now! (Melody stolen from kids' show WordWorld.)

I haven't laughed so much in days. My mother is telling me to be kind to those poor people, because they probably don't have many friends.

"

Be exposed and equipped with a fuller understanding of our role in being a risk-taking, man-building, and dominion-minded men who are willing to see God be glorified in all areas of life, including His created world.

"

I enjoy the "man-building, and dominion-minded men." Let's build a man! Let's build it, let's build it now! (Melody stolen from kids' show WordWorld.)

"

"

Hahahaha, or how about the Rocky Horror Picture Show? 8-)

Alas, Jesse Maxwell was unable to join them to point out mountains to them.

I just read up on Stacie Cavner of Julian and Cavner. She's ten times the man you'll ever be, Doug Phillip (is a tool.)

Hahahaha, or how about the Rocky Horror Picture Show? 8-)

"In just. Seven. Days. I can make you a Maa-a-a-a-aaaan!"

I just read up on Stacie Cavner of Julian and Cavner. She's ten times the man you'll ever be, Doug Phillip (is a tool.)

I don't think I would have stayed with my husband if I were in her shoes. That crash was completely his fault and he should voluntarily give up his license. He should be sued by the babysitters family, and he should have to pay for his gross negligence. 650lbs overweight and he thinks he can sue the manufacturer of the plane. Oh, and he should have to pay for damages to the home and hotel that his plane hit. It was luck that more people weren't killed.

I thought of the theme song for 3 and a Half Men.

I dunno...I always think of "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story while viewing Hazarous Journey photos.

Oh, and Doug Phillips is a tool without even being in those pictures.

"Receive Training, Experience, and Encouragement

Be exposed and equipped with a fuller understanding of our role in being a risk-taking, man-building, and dominion-minded men who are willing to see God be glorified in all areas of life, including His created world."

Why can't these emotionally feeble fundy men do anything without bragging about dominion and manliness? Can you picture them on a trip to Wal-mart to buy a pair of khakis?

"Both father and son realized a victory—a victory over the scourge of retail prices. At one point, it was necessary for each man to step in the footsteps of the man ahead of him as they trekked to the fitting room. Our mission completed, the team members rejoiced in what was, for most, one of the greatest physical challenges of their lives."

Archived