IGNORED

Favourite TV?

JesusFightClub

I felt the same way about main characters hooking up and then one of my favorite shows New Girl went and threw Jess and Nick in bed together. I don't think it ruined everything but it made it too awkward IMO. Do the writers think they eventually need to add sexual tension to keep people watching? I want a show that can stand on its own without some forced hookups.

That's what I loved about 30 Rock - Jack and Liz never, ever ever got together (unless they accidentally got married, or were mistaken for a couple, or pretended to be together to trick someone - you get the point), and you knew they never would. They never even kissed (well, never sincerely). And yet they were extraordinarily important to each other. Their relationship was perfect without sex, and really became the heart of the show.

Also, if Don/Joan or Don/Peggy ever happens on Mad Men, I'm going to force them to return all the Emmys.

Oh, and I love Miranda (I remember saying that Hyperdrive was so bad that "even Miranda Thingy couldn't salvage it"). Not just because of the frequency of Billy Joel songs.

Here are some of the tv shows we have enjoyed:

The Wire: excellent - deals with politics/social issues/police + criminal issues

Sopranos (just rewatched in honour of James Gandolfini) - excellent writing , excellent acting - the story is about a mafia family

Xfiles - we just rewatched the series and it hold up very well

Game of Thrones (but I really ration out watching these shows because the author of the books is notorious for not coming up with the next book in the series in a timely fashion) but still I really like this show

House of Cards - we've only seen the US version but find it very interesting

Luthor - Idris Elba - need I say more

Sherlock - the UK version

we also watch a fair number of documentaries e.g. Nova

Wow looking at this list it surely seems like we watch a lot of tv and I guess we do. I rationalize the whole thing by pointing out that I do most of my crafting/art while watching shows like the ones I've listed

I just watched a game show last night that debuted in the US called The Chase. It was very entertaining. There is also a UK version.

This is a brilliant list. OMFG, though, I am light years behind most telly watchers. Will I ever catch up?

My mum has the telly on whenever I go round and see her. She likes house stories, like Grand Designs (posh daft people try, ineffectually, to build a fancy house) or Fantasy Homes By The Sea (it does what it says on the tin) or The Hotel Inspector (a clever woman with unfeasibly curly hair tells hotel owners how they are fucking up big style).

These definitely sound much more interesting. Especially, I have heard a lot of chat about Breaking Bad. :)

(Yeah, I know, I sound fucking ignorant. But I've either not been able to afford a telly, had a telly which only speaks to me in foreign languages, or lived with people who objected to TV on political grounds. Gies peace :))

Parks and Rec- is the rare comedy that is not mean spirited in any way

Copper- hubby has me watching this and it's a nice mix of history (Irish immigrants in Civil war era NYC) and police procedural

Call the Midwife- just binge- watched the entire first two seasons over 3 days, love this one!

I just finished up all of LOST on Netflix and loved it. The plot twists kept me guessing and the ending made me cry. I haven't gotten so emotionally invested in a group of fictional characters in ages. Maybe ever. Also... Desmond. Pretty, pretty Desmond. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Besides children's shows with the wee ones, I see a lot of different things. "Reality" tv like Gold Rush, Top Chef, Love It or List It. We are currently watching Orange Is the New Black, which I like a lot. I hate Breaking Bad...I know it's well made but its so unhappy and dark that I just plain don't find it entertaining. Sons of Anarchy generated the same reaction out of me.

Comedies...New Girl, Big Bang, Modern Family

Other stuff... Lost Girl ( I know it's a little cheesy but I love me some sci fi fantasy), Fringe, Stargate Universe, Grimm

Stuff I wish had lasted longer... the Good Guys

I'm a fan of reality shows. (Yes I know they are mostly scripted but I still like them). Here Comes Honey BooBoo, Duck Dynasty, Storage Wars, and 19KAC for the snark potential. Also, any cooking show on Food Network, Family Guy, Baggage, and Jeopardy. I used to watch sitcoms but the laugh tracks are too annoying to me now.. My favorite series of all time is Northern Exposure.

Archived