IGNORED

Shaming Shorts Wearing Tweens

Peas n carrots

The thing that outrages me most about this is that it's a woman in a position of power degrading these girls in public. She's teaching all of her students that women are only "worthy of distinction" when they meet someone else's ideals of their appearance. It has nothing to do with intelligence or talent or hard work- it simply reduces their "worthiness" to their sexuality. It would be just as horrible for a man to do this (although if a man did it parents would probably immediately sue for sexual harassment or he'd be immediately put on admin leave) but for a woman to do it and teach these girls that "slut shaming" is okay and, in fact, a way to further your own agenda is just abhorrent IMO. I don't even want to get into the fact that she had all the girls in the school stand while all of the boys sat and watched this little performance!

I've always felt that these dress codes (especially when imposed on young children) not only work to eliminate creativity but, ironically, actually draw attention to the sexual aspects that they are supposedly "protecting" children from.

I've got both friends and relatives who teach in public schools in Europe, and they ALL believe that kids should be in uniform (their countries abandoned uniforms in public schools). Basically for the reason that JFC alludes to, when you are in a uniform, it is a lot harder for your socioeconomic status to stand out. You are also not adding pressure on extended parents to buy whatever the latest rage in fashion is so little Johnny/Janie can be "currrent".

As for that principal, pink slip her.

Archived