IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

"Where you live, do big high street chains not have wedding lines? When I got married last year I tried a couple of bridal salons but hated all the dresses there (I was specifically looking for a dress with at least *some* sort of sleeves, but all the dresses there were strapless and made out of ugly and/or shiny material, which wasn't at all what I wanted), and was horrified by the prices, so instead I just went to shops such as Debenhams and tried on off-the-peg dresses. Much less hassle, much more choice re. sleeves, much lower prices for high-quality dresses...I ended up with a lovely dress from Monsoon, of the sort I wanted, that cost only £300 - at least £1000 less than most of the cheapest dresses in the salons."

I realized the same thing - I ended up getting my suit at a vintage store - not a bridal salon and it was not expensive at all. It is a bit crazy how much the prices increase for a wedding as opposed to just a party.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to comment on the bridal gown topic:

You can always have a custom gown made for you. I ended up having mine made by a local dressmaker for an affordable price.

RE strapless gowns, I love that the term for that style in Spanish is "palabra de honor," or "word of honor." :D

Re strapless - w/me it's nothing against strapless, it's just they don't suit me and I wish they had more sleeved options (and not just one/strapped/sleeved).

Nothing wrong with a cold buffet, but that reception - while lovely - looked awfully sparse. A few pasta/potato salads and one other option for the cold drinks and sandwiches would've filled it out a bit with little expense.

I grew up with people saying strapless wedding dresses were immodest and terrible, which made me want to wear one just to be contrary. :lol: (Though I almost wore one for a formal in high school, but when it came down to it I felt too immodest.)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh God help me, FJs.... I do believe that the groom's wedding wish list was given away on the cake, itself. It said "A Bj"

That yellow bridesmaids dress is horribly unflattering and ill fitted.

The cake is beautiful though, bjs or not.

Is it just me, or do some of the guests look very casually dressed for a wedding? Is that usual for lower key afternoon weddings?

Amanda looks so happy, a traditional radiant bride. Her new husband looks pretty thrilled too.

That yellow bridesmaids dress is horribly unflattering and ill fitted.

The cake is beautiful though, bjs or not.

Is it just me, or do some of the guests look very casually dressed for a wedding? Is that usual for lower key afternoon weddings?

Amanda looks so happy, a traditional radiant bride. Her new husband looks pretty thrilled too.

The yellow dress is hideous. Especially with the boots. But, I'm willing to give it a "pass" given that the bride got away with her terribly ill-fitted and mismatched-fabric gown. If she was happy with the outcome, I guess that's all that matters.

The guests are dressed like they are going to a noon bingo game at the local grange. But, you can't tell people what to wear. It seems like all the food and attire was in alignment with whatever the socio-economic parameters were.

And Elizabeth looks sad. I'm sure she wishes it would have been her getting married. But again, thank God she dodged that bullet with Joseph Maxwell. Better to be the bridesmaid than the bride in that case.

Oh God help me, FJs.... I do believe that the groom's wedding wish list was given away on the cake, itself. It said "A Bj"

It's like the badges they made the freshers wear at Bob Jones during orientation: 1st BJ.: D

Though we haven't been, we were looking at renting one of the cabins around Dollywood. The pic of the cabin looks just like one.

Modest is fine, but those floor length skirts on the girls during the bouquet toss are painful to view.

Ok, I guess I get that maybe in the South and among people with smaller wedding budgets and church people it's not common to have hot food at weddings, so a little bit of finger food is expected. I'm from a Russian background where weddings MUST have a good selection of hot and cold foods no matter what your budget so that's why it's just so strange to me when I see these Muncks and Kellers and Duggars with their sandwiches and trail mix. Although I recall at the Davilla wedding there was ham and turkey? I guess they might've meant ham and turkey sandwiches.

By the way, even though I agree with tackiness at fundy weddings, I've actually seen some images where balloons can look really whimsical and cute, see: eventstoatdc.com/2011/08/inspiration-balloons/

Same here! A wedding without a ton of food and booze just seems...mean! LOL. Before most of them got too elderly, I was planning on just hiring a bunch of the Russian grandmas in my area to cook for my wedding. :D

I am often amused at the strong opinions people have about weddings in general. (Not specifically here). Just to add to the andecdata, I was married at 10 am on a sat. I wanted a morning wedding, I didn't want to pay for drinking (and I wasn't 21 myself yet), I didn't want to spend hours partying.

We have a lovely little brunch of finger food, everyone was out of there early enough to go eat a lunch if they wanted one. It was the wedding I could afford without having debt, and it wasn't to please anyone else. I had 35 guests, all of whom actually knew us well. Again, that is what we wanted...which seems like the point of the wedding.

I am often amused at the strong opinions people have about weddings in general. (Not specifically here). Just to add to the andecdata, I was married at 10 am on a sat. I wanted a morning wedding, I didn't want to pay for drinking (and I wasn't 21 myself yet), I didn't want to spend hours partying.

We have a lovely little brunch of finger food, everyone was out of there early enough to go eat a lunch if they wanted one. It was the wedding I could afford without having debt, and it wasn't to please anyone else. I had 35 guests, all of whom actually knew us well. Again, that is what we wanted...which seems like the point of the wedding.

Well, I had a huge, overblown wedding but I totally agree with you. When I go to a wedding I expect nothing. The best weddings are a reflection of what the bride and groom want. I would never want someone to go into debt so they could feed me (and their other guests) lunch.

I am happy to see the wedding included some secular wedding traditions! I normally feel uneasy looking at the cake-in-the-face pictures but they look very happy!Wow Amanda throw the bouquet VERY high! Most brides I have seen end up throwing it straight back.

I am often amused at the strong opinions people have about weddings in general. (Not specifically here). Just to add to the anecdata, I was married at 10 am on a sat. I wanted a morning wedding, I didn't want to pay for drinking (and I wasn't 21 myself yet), I didn't want to spend hours partying.

I'm with you here. Yes, full-blown receptions with open bars, full sit-down dinners, and dancing are the norm around here (southern New England), but they aren't the ONLY correct way to celebrate a marriage. I attended an afternoon wedding in a rural Pennsylvania town several years ago. I wound up being horribly overdressed in my black velvet waltz-length dress (which wouldn't have stood out at all at a wedding up here), while everyone else was wearing Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. The mothers of the bride and groom had made their own dresses, the bridesmaids', and the wedding cake. Everything was warm, welcoming, and lovely. The bride and groom visited every single table to converse with the guests. When they sent us a (prompt!) thank-you note for our wedding gift, they enclosed a candid snapshot of my then-husband and me dancing at the reception.

The reception looks very simple and sweet, probably just what the bride wanted ( or what the bride was told they could afford). And the food seemed appropriate for the time of day this occurred. The yellow dress on the other sister (Rebecca?) was not a good choice, but Elizabeth looked very pretty in the green. She looks very skinny too.

The initials on the cake were LOL! (Not that they were on the cake but what they spelled out.)

The newlyweds look so young but seemed very happy.

I had to weigh in on the wedding dress/reception debate. For my own wedding we were on a strict budget and time frame. I had $300 to spend on the dress/alterations and shoes. I lucked out and ended up getting my dress at this bridal shop in mall ran by a Russian family who luckily did the alterations for free. I'm short and the dress had to be taken up. My dress was sleeveless because I was getting married in June outdoors and I have very broad shoulders and a D cup bust which can make sleeves frankly a pain in the ass. The dress did flow out which helped since I was 4 1/2 months pregnant and was trying to make sure it would fit. On the day of the wedding funny enough it barely got over my boobs, which caused mild panic and now I find funny. We had my brother who is a chef do our food and it was mostly finger food, once again due to budget. The temperatures that day were high 90's and we are in the NW so most people were just worn out and not hungry from the heat. Our cake had buttercream frosting and started melting which is another funny memory. We basically tried to make our guests and ourselves as comfortable as possible with the limited budget and time frame we had.

Can I please be the killjoy? I think Amanda looks strange, not beautiful, her dress is ridiculous, not *excuses/reasons*, and they look brainwashed, not happy. I hope they're absolutely miserable living in extreme fundamentalism yet, because I'm not a complete b****, I hope they find their way out of fundiedom. There. Now everyone tell me how bad I am...on a board ridiculing and exposing fundies for who they (monstrously) are, i am just unable to wish that anyone perpetuating this lifestyle will be happy/live happy/succeed/prosper. I do not want my country taken over by fundies overpopulating, and i also don't like people believing in myths and harmful ideology

/rant off

*breathless

I didn't meant at all to imply big weddings are a problem or expensive or lavish or anything. I just didn't want that and couldn't afford that. I only invited close friends, very close coworkers and close family members (none of my second cousins for instance, or great aunts, etc). If I were inviting a bigger more diverse group I probably would have wanted a bigger party where people could mingle.

But mostly I was poor and didn't want to have wedding debt.

Meh - I can't snark on the dress or the reception or the food - just because IMHO, that is a totally personal decision. Hubs and I had a VERY cheap wedding. All said and done, we spent under $5000 in Ontario (which is so not a cheap place to have a wedding). Neither of us like being the center of attention (in fact, we would have loved to have just eloped, but to keep peace in the family....) so our wedding was small - only close family and a few best friends. We had an outdoor, morning wedding. My best friend and sisters decorated with dollar store supplies. Another friend made the cake as a wedding gift. Lunch was a bbq. My sister and my husband's brother were maid of honor and best man. And that was it. I believe the whole thing, from start to finish was 4 hours.

I hope I didn't sound judgy when I said weddings without an abundance of food/booze were mean! I was just joking. When someone invites me to their wedding, I'm just excited to be included, no matter what the setup. I just can't promise that the Russian part of me won't long for a shot of vodka! :lol: But it's certainly not owed to me as a guest.

Can I please be the killjoy? I think Amanda looks strange, not beautiful, her dress is ridiculous, not *excuses/reasons*, and they look brainwashed, not happy. I hope they're absolutely miserable living in extreme fundamentalism yet, because I'm not a complete b****, I hope they find their way out of fundiedom. There. Now everyone tell me how bad I am...on a board ridiculing and exposing fundies for who they (monstrously) are, i am just unable to wish that anyone perpetuating this lifestyle will be happy/live happy/succeed/prosper. I do not want my country taken over by fundies overpopulating, and i also don't like people believing in myths and harmful ideology

/rant off

*breathless

You'll get no hand slapping from me. The point of this board (IMO) is to be a forum for discussion. I agree with you in that I think fundamentalism is a big (and getting bigger) problem. Where I disagree is in my response to this wedding. I don't think the bride looks brainwashed and I don't think her dress is ridiculous. I think that both bride and groom look happy and both seem (IMO) to be competent adults who have made a choice and the bride seems happy with her dress . This is just my subjective opinion but because I feel that they had the opportunity to choose their course - I can wish them well. I don't think that wishing someone well at their wedding is a free get out of jail card for life and I don't think that it equates adopting a pet fundy. Just my two cents.

You'll get no hand slapping from me. The point of this board (IMO) is to be a forum for discussion. I agree with you in that I think fundamentalism is a big (and getting bigger) problem. Where I disagree is in my response to this wedding. I don't think the bride looks brainwashed and I don't think her dress is ridiculous. I think that both bride and groom look happy and both seem (IMO) to be competent adults who have made a choice and the bride seems happy with her dress . This is just my subjective opinion but because I feel that they had the opportunity to choose their course - I can wish them well. I don't think that wishing someone well at their wedding is a free get out of jail card for life and I don't think that it equates adopting a pet fundy. Just my two cents.

In my experience, one doesn't necessarily have tto look brainwashed in order to be brainwashed. the extreme deadpan expressions that are discussed extensively on FJ are commented on by devout fuundies, too (the ones who look normal). Does this bride look brainwashed to you? plantedbytherivers.com/wedding-pictures/21johntia-508logo/ I'm curious. She would tell you she picked her own course in life, including her own husband, but the truth is it was arranged by him and her father, exactly the Gothard way. I doont know if the Munck family is into ATI/IBLP/Gothard but they look like that type from the photos, hence my comment about brainwashing.

Edited to properly break link - please just cut off the www.http// at the beginning, no need to replace . with DOT, and it makes it very difficult for those on mobile devices - lilith

I hope they didn't put in their vows they will let God do their family planning. I always thought that was inappropriate. After all the couple shouldn't have their family planning tied into wedding vows they make before even having one child. Ideas about family planning change drastically after a child enters the picture. Having it tied into a vow and then if you change your mind means breaking your wedding vows made before God, your spouse and in front of family and friends seems wrong. I know I posed the question if this wording is a requirement to fundie wedding vows in SODRT forum and never got an answer. So people in the now is this wording or clause if you will a requirement fundies have to put into their vows?

Archived