IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

i would be horribly embarrassed to be pregnant at my daughter's wedding...just sayin'

I've thought that, too. I would be mortified, but I think they think of it as a jewel in the crown to show how faithfully quiverful they are.

When David Brown married Monica (can't remember her maiden name), her parents walked in together down the aisle during the processional and her mother was carrying an infant. Nine months later, Monica gave birth to that baby's niece. That's just crazy.

ETA: Monica's maiden name was Daming.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've thought that, too. I would be mortified, but I think they think of it as a jewel in the crown to show how faithfully quiverful they are.

When David Brown married Monica (can't remember her maiden name), her parents walked in together down the aisle during the processional and her mother was carrying an infant. Nine months later, Monica gave birth to that baby's niece. That's just crazy.

ETA: Monica's maiden name was Daming.

I think that's squickier than the Munck's situation. I mean, Laura is pregnant, and her daughter getting married during said pregnancy most likely wasn't planned as some sort of Quiverfull propaganda. Meanwhile, Monica's mother could easily have had one of her thousand siblings holding that child while she walked her down the aisle, and it seemed way more like "look how godly and fertile we are!!1! than the Muncks.

Also, I don't think it's mortifying to be pregnant at your child's wedding. I would be far more mortified that my daughter is getting married at 19 to someone she's never kissed before and has a crappy education. The mother of the bride being pregnant is kind of strange, but not embarrassing.

Posted today on their website. I wonder why its going to take a few weeks for the "real" pictures to arrive.

Internet issues...

Our internet/phone has been up and down for the past couple of days...mainly down! A repairman is coming sometime today, and I so hope he gets it up and running. I have much to share, first thing to share are a few of our wedding pictures.... as we won't be getting the 'real' ones for several weeks. Well, that's it from the Munck house until our internet connection is working properly, because typing out a post off my phone takes much to long.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week:)

Posted today on their website. I wonder why its going to take a few weeks for the "real" pictures to arrive.

"Real" wedding photos take weeks for the professional photographer to edit. It's enormously frustrating, but it's what they build their reputation on -- the quality of their photos.

Yep, she was married on the 15th. Who gets married on a Wednesday, and what kind of reception could they possibly have had when everyone has to get up for work the next day?

A lot of couples are choosing mid-week weddings because they can rent a facility for usually half the price that it would cost on a Saturday, and often can get a price break on catering and even flowers mid-week. Not saying that's why the Muncks did it, but it's not all that weird. And, as someone else mentioned, it's not as if they were going to be partying until 2:00 am.

The weekday wedding thing may be possible if they don't invite out of town guests. To me, that's the primary reason you DON'T setting weddings on the weekdays, because it makes it near impossible for out of town guests to come (i.e they'd have to take multiple days off to fly in and fly out).

I'm assuming that all the guests are local, which means the Muncks can save money on wedding reception costs (plus other wedding related expenses). Plus, if they have a simple wedding with punch and cake, no dancing or alcohol, I can imagine the party not lasting into the wee hours.

Personally, I can't imagine a wedding not on Saturday night. However, that's because so many of our guests were out of towners, and many of our friends can't party into the late hours on a work day. However, we had a ebil Catholic wedding with open bar, dancing and the whole shabang. There's probably enough sinning right there to guarantee me a place somewhere hot!

Sometimes I think we nitpick here too much. Who cares if the wedding was on a Wednesday? If it works for them, so be it. And I find it kind of sad to say that it is embarassing to be pregnant on a daughter's wedding, to be honest. I lost my daughter when I was 17 and if she had lived and decided (on her own accord) to marry somewhat early (20, 21), it could have easily been me.

I take issue with fundamentalism but some of this is ridiculous.

Yep, she was married on the 15th. Who gets married on a Wednesday, and what kind of reception could they possibly have had when everyone has to get up for work the next day?

Tuesday is a traditional marriage day for many Orthodox Jews. I missed a cousin's mid-week wedding because I couldn't travel to NY mid-week (work, school. etc.).

Joining the weekday wedding chorus. Monday wedding here. No rental fee (as we got married at a restaurant that would have otherwise been closed), saving us at least $5,000. All guests were local, it was a small affair, and we were able to keep our anniversary (that was the main reason we chose the date). Not everyone wants to have/can afford a $30,000 Saturday wedding at a mansion with an open bar until 2am... sheesh. Also, we didn't invite anyone to our wedding who would have been "put out" by coming and no one "felt obligated" to attend, because we only invited close family and friends who wanted to celebrate with us.

Well, it's likely that they just had a punch and cake reception, so the lack of serious partying opportunity on a Wednesday night would not have been incongruent.

Hey! There ain't no party like a fundie party!

i would be horribly embarrassed to be pregnant at my daughter's wedding...just sayin'

also, i had a Saturday wedding but it was over and done with by 6 pm. Time for food, cake, toasts, and chatting.

Mullet was about 7 months along with Jordyn when Smuggar got hitched. The memory of that navy sack she wore is sadly seared into my brain.

Sometimes I think we nitpick here too much. Who cares if the wedding was on a Wednesday? If it works for them, so be it. And I find it kind of sad to say that it is embarassing to be pregnant on a daughter's wedding, to be honest. I lost my daughter when I was 17 and if she had lived and decided (on her own accord) to marry somewhat early (20, 21), it could have easily been me.

I take issue with fundamentalism but some of this is ridiculous.

Agree. My son is a photographer, he's finding more people having weddings on a weekday evening. It's easier to get the reception site and church you want plus the cost is less.

Being Catholic it's not out of the ordinary for mothers of the bride to be pregnant. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I wasn't nit picking. Whatever. I merely stated my view of mid week weddings and what I would/wouldn't do.

Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday - I don't really care and I do think there is far too much emphasis placed on rules and/or etiquette or whatever for weddings. The weekend thing works for a lot of reasons and because of that, it's pretty 'normal' - out of town guests, all day party, late nights, etc. Tuesday at 3pm at the location of your choice works just as well and doesn't matter; it just might not be feasible for guests.

If you aren't concerned with guests, then whatever. If you are, weekends make it more likely they'll be there doing what you want them to do.

A friend got married on a Wednesday during 4th of July week. She and her fiancé had been planning a fall wedding, but decided to have it earlier because it would spare his parents an extra trip across the country. (This was back in the '70s, when air travel was considered a bigger deal and much more expensive than today.)

In another thread, I mentioned that weekday weddings were fairly common a century or more ago, when people weren't tied as much to today's corporate work schedule.

Mama Munck posted a couple pics to the blog...

I know they're fundie and all but they DO actually look happy. There is a glow in their eyes and it's not just the sex to come.

Their smiles appear genuine and they just plain look like their happiness is real, not manufactured and not for an agenda .

They look comfortable together.

Unlike Joseph Maxwell and Elizabeth. I am so glad she bailed on that.

At least in Elizabeth's fundie life, she can look at her happy sister and know that she did the right thing and deserves so much more than she almost got.

As for Amanda, I hope their evident happiness carried over to 'the wedding night' and there was respect and love and trust and that their fundie lives haven't fucked with their happiness as individuals human beings.

Just went to see the pictures of the wedding. I wouldn't be thrilled if I had a daughter who chose to marry so young and marry into a fundamental religion. However, these two look genuinely happy so I think I'll tuck my snark away for the moment.

I am trying to figure out if the sleeves and v neck coverage of the dress was added in. Does not seem to 'fit' the rest f the dress.

I am trying to figure out if the sleeves and v neck coverage of the dress was added in. Does not seem to 'fit' the rest f the dress.

Hmm, not sure. The best picture of Amanda's dress is the second one from the top. If the sleeves and neck were filled in from an off-the-rack dress, it would have been a defrauding wedding gown even for non-fundies. I'm wondering if the Muncks sewed the dress from scratch and got creative in a way that didn't quite work.

Joe looks even younger in the wedding pics - did we ever figure out how old he is? Also, I don't think I quite realized before how much taller he is than the bride.

Just went to see the pictures of the wedding. I wouldn't be thrilled if I had a daughter who chose to marry so young and marry into a fundamental religion. However, these two look genuinely happy so I think I'll tuck my snark away for the moment.

Oh, well as long as they look happy, that's all that matters, I guess. I hope you're willing to bring your snark back out the moment they have children to abuse and neglect. It shouldn't be too long of a wait, either. Every fundie wedding makes me sad.

I think I'll diagnose it as an inexpensive dress. They do look happy.

Hmm, not sure. The best picture of Amanda's dress is the second one from the top. If the sleeves and neck were filled in from an off-the-rack dress, it would have been a defrauding wedding gown even for non-fundies. I'm wondering if the Muncks sewed the dress from scratch and got creative in a way that didn't quite work.

Joe looks even younger in the wedding pics - did we ever figure out how old he is? Also, I don't think I quite realized before how much taller he is than the bride.

The depth of the V has me questioning, but it just looks off.

I do like the main part of the dress, though.

Dress looks like a tank V-neck dress with sleeves and neck-coverage added in afterwards. At first glance it's okay until you start really looking close. I'm sure it's tough finding an age-appropriate modest wedding dress. At least the fabric colors match! (Obviously not an Aria/Elle piece, right? :) )

They DO look so happy! And my goodness, he is tall.

Oh Lord, my dress must have been VERY defrauding, indeed! Front was V down to my boobs and back scooped down to right above my butt-crack. :)

The dress looks bulky and ill fitted to me. I dont know why fundies always end up with that look - its perfectly possible to find or make a modest dress that actually fits - any regency style with an empire waist would work. Fundie dresses almost always look too busy, and you don't need to have eleventy layers of fabric on the bodice for it to be modest.

I'm looking forward to seeing the bridesmaids dresses.

That dress is either A) A premade dress that the Muncks sewed additional pieces to or B) A modern dress pattern that the muncks modified. You can see tht the main portions of the dress flow quite nicely, while the modest pieces are a completely different fabric and style. The original dress is gorgeous!

Archived