IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

If you want something other than a strapless wedding dress in my area, you go to the places that cater to Orthodox Jewish brides. My one sister took that route and got a lovely wedding dress that did not scream "I want to cover every inch of skin lest I defraud".

Beautiful and stylish wedding dresses that are not sleeveless are possible.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only that thinks the dress that was like that to begin with?

If you look at the last picture, there's a line of beads? clasps? (I don't know what the proper term is) that goes from the end of the neckline to the waist. Unless they added them so they would match.

Anyway, they look happy, and I wish them the best.

If you want something other than a strapless wedding dress in my area, you go to the places that cater to Orthodox Jewish brides. My one sister took that route and got a lovely wedding dress that did not scream "I want to cover every inch of skin lest I defraud".

Beautiful and stylish wedding dresses that are not sleeveless are possible.

This. At my catering hall job, the orthodox jew brides always had the modest dresses. And you could tell they were nicely made, even if I didn't always think they looked good. (Then again, out of the hundreds of dresses I saw all together, I liked 3. Maybe.)

I don't think I've ever seen all the hand slapping I've seen on this thread. Telling people to stop the snarking? Uh, ok, sure, we'll get right on that.

Check some other threads :lol: You know if it is not about you it is not interesting and we all have to then be aware of that. I digress. I love talking about wedding dresses anyway. It is what happens. Sometimes complimentary some times not. Shit happens.

I think we all disagree with the fundamental christian indoctrination thing. Does not exclude from dress criticism :lol: That is life.

I do though agree with those who point out the lifestyle is manufactured. I do hope in time they will move on from that. Loving your kids and having a happy clappy blog about it impresses me about as much as most interweb folks.

could they have recycled liz' wedding dress for this?

I really don't want to think they would do that. It would be hurtful for both Liz and Amanda.

Tuesday is a traditional marriage day for many Orthodox Jews. I missed a cousin's mid-week wedding because I couldn't travel to NY mid-week (work, school. etc.).

Maybe a little late to this thread but our wedding was on a Thursday (our 19th anniversary is tomorrow!). We were grad students and all of our guests were either other grad students, or family coming from quite a long way away, so we figured they'd be taking a few days off before or after to do sightseeing anyway (this was near San Francisco). We saved a lot of money doing it on a weeknight and being poor grad students, every dollar helped.

I really don't want to think they would do that. It would be hurtful for both Liz and Amanda.

If these were Maxwells, then yes, that dress would definitely have been recycled.

But I think that Mummy Munck is too romantic and motherly to do that to Amanda and Elizabeth. She seems like the type of person who would really understand how special your wedding dress can be.

Honestly, what my wedding dress looks like - if I get married - doesn't matter to me. I would be quite happy to just have a quiet chapel or even registry office wedding in my ordinary clothes - nice clothes, but ordinary nonetheless.

As conservative as that.dress is, it would never have passed muster with the Maxwells. It draws attention to the fact that the bride might actually have a cleavage underneath it all. I'm sure they'd consider the deep v to be as subtle as a neon arrow drawing attention to her woman bits (even if it has been modified with a modesty panel) and, above all, it was covered in such fripperies as tulle and sparkly beading. If wedding dresses were the sort of thing to be seen in airports, I'm sure they would have pointed out something like this as defrauding in their 'spot the slut' homeschool excursion.

Compared to NR Anna's dress, it's practically risque.

Mama Munck posted more pictures. The wedding seems to be low-budget (not a bad thing!) and super DIY, but it looks like they added a lot of nice personal touches, as the Munck family is known for.

Surely not the wedding of the century, as there was no alcohol or dancing, but sentimental and personal.

Awww, I love DIY weddings. I loved the candy table. I wasn't really impressed by the menu, though. Almost like breakfast or picnic food. The welcome table was also nice.

It looked really childish, much like the birthday parties they put on.

I get low budget and homey, but this looked patched together and sparse. I really expected better from them - their toddlers birthday parties are more ornate and thoughtful than this wedding.

It looked really childish, much like the birthday parties they put on.

I get low budget and homey, but this looked patched together and sparse. I really expected better from them - their toddlers birthday parties are more ornate and thoughtful than this wedding.

I think part of the reason it was sparse had to do with the number of guests. They probably had way more guests at this party then they have at their children's birthday parties. I think they did a nice job with the resources they probably had available.

I think part of the reason it was sparse had to do with the number of guests at this party then they have at their children's birthday parties. I think they did a nice job with the resources they probably had available.

I agree it looks fine - nothing wrong with operating within a budget - but do you really think they had a lot of guests? I was trying to estimate by the number of favors, amount of food, etc., and just going on what you can see in the most recent photos, it doesn't seem like there was space/arrangements for a lot of extra people. I mean, just immediate family (parents + siblings) would take up many of those tables and eat a lot of the food (though of course there could be more tables not shown and they could refill serving trays). I wonder how many non-family guests attended?

I agree it looks fine - nothing wrong with operating within a budget - but do you really think they had a lot of guests? I was trying to estimate by the number of favors, amount of food, etc., and just going on what you can see in the most recent photos, it doesn't seem like there was space/arrangements for a lot of extra people. I mean, just immediate family (parents + siblings) would take up many of those tables and eat a lot of the food (though of course there could be more tables not shown and they could refill serving trays). I wonder how many non-family guests attended?

I dont know if they had non-family guests. But with large families, the family guests add up quickly.

I really loved the candy table though. I know that there is one like that usually pulled up at children's parties (thematically, of course) but um, it's cute and I bet people well all over it. No booze - who wouldn't want them some candy?

It was certainly better than most of the other fundie weddings we've seen, cake, nuts, mints, coffee & punch only. They had a lot of color books, so their must have been a lot of little kids. I don't know many little kids who will eat chicken salad sandwiches. No picture of the cake.

If Stevie had seen this spread before Liz cancelled her wedding to Joe, he would have cancelled it for sure! It's way to much food for Maxwells! The candy alone would make his head explode! :pink-shock:

We know their last name, Burke. It was in big letters behind the food. I wonder why the wedding was 2 hours from their home. Even if the groom lives far away, the wedding is normally in the brides area. (Even the Maxwells trugged up to WA to be near Anna's home.) I thought Joe worked for the family dog business.

I keep hoping she'll disclose the wedding budget as a "helpful tip" in planning such major events, but she probably won't. After seeing the dress and now the food, they must not have had to spend much. I guess that's good (my own wedding was about $20K and that was 16 years ago!). I hope she tells us where they went on honeymoon!

I almost expected them to decorate with the infamous year-round Christmas tree.

But the owl theme was cute. I think what was missing was more flowers. That could have added more color and volume to the decorations.

The reception hall was really quite nice compared to other fundie weddings -- often church gyms or other metal buildings.

First time to comment.

I think it's ok to expend little money in a wedding if you are not rich, but I expect fundie weedings to be a major celebration. I mean, these girls' goal is to marry, so the wedding would have to be a luxurious party. The couple has never lived out of home, so marrying it's a huge change of life. They're supposed to never divorce, so wedding day means a lot for them. Making "low profile weddings" doesn't fit their own ideas.

But the young couple look well dressed and happy.

First time to comment.

I think it's ok to expend little money in a wedding if you are not rich, but I expect fundie weedings to be a major celebration. I mean, these girls' goal is to marry, so the wedding would have to be a luxurious party. The couple has never lived out of home, so marrying it's a huge change of life. They're supposed to never divorce, so wedding day means a lot for them. Making "low profile weddings" doesn't fit their own ideas.

But the young couple look well dressed and happy.

From their perspective, I would guess the wedding is just another opportunity for the bride to "die to self" and be reminded that nothing she wants matters and she should never expect to be the center of attention, even on the most important day of her life. :cry:

Awww, I love DIY weddings. I loved the candy table. I wasn't really impressed by the menu, though. Almost like breakfast or picnic food. The welcome table was also nice.

More like snack time! I just don't get weddings that have no hot food whatsoever, is it really that difficult to make at least one large serving of lasagna or ham or something?

Fundy weddings are typically low key. I've been to quite a few of them and this one was rather nice in comparison to many. As said above, the reception is most often in the church hall and is a bit of fingerfood, cake, and punch. I think with the constraint of providing food two hours away they did fine within what's normal for that crowd. Hot food just isn't thought about and sticking out or being uppity is highly frowned upon in those circles. Being budget conscious is a virtue to the fundie folks I've known and know now. To many of them a $1500 to $3000 budget is almost extravagant. The room was very nice looking and it looks to me like they didn't have a lot of non-family member guests. The food probably wasn't even supposed to be considered a full meal but more like a large afternoon snack. Thinking of three fundie weddings in the last few years and I think the top budget of the three was around $1000. Two had a David's Bridal sale dresses and one had a consignment store dress. The church was self decorated and flowers were rather minimal and receptions were in the hall and basically cake and punch with only the serving table decorated.

I'm puzzled too over why it was two hours away. Could they have done that to be closer to a set of grandparents who couldn't easily travel?

More like snack time! I just don't get weddings that have no hot food whatsoever, is it really that difficult to make at least one large serving of lasagna or ham or something?

Do we know the time of the reception?

I believe the food was “adequate†for a lunch reception. I also, agree a hot meal like lasagna or pasta, or even fried chicken would have been more appropriate if it was a dinner reception or more formal affair.

Maybe the wedding seems sparse of decorations because the bride asked to have less obvious DIY items, since she has grown up with many DIY parties... I can imagine the bride wanting it look more “adult†then the average DIY birthday party and thus the lack of decorations.

But I applaud the bride on choosing not to use balloons. They quickly can look tacky if not used carefully.

Also, I like the scalloping along the bottom of her gown/petticoats.

I hope the new couple takes a different more modern path in life than their parents. :obscene-drinkingcheers: Cheers!

Archived