IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

I hope I didn't sound judgy when I said weddings without an abundance of food/booze were mean! I was just joking. When someone invites me to their wedding, I'm just excited to be included, no matter what the setup. I just can't promise that the Russian part of me won't long for a shot of vodka! :lol: But it's certainly not owed to me as a guest.

I didn't read it as judgy. I don't think anyone was really judgy about all weddings. I just think it is one of those things people have strong feelings about how weddings *should* be.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience, one doesn't necessarily have tto look brainwashed in order to be brainwashed. the extreme deadpan expressions that are discussed extensively on FJ are commented on by devout fuundies, too (the ones who look normal). Does this bride look brainwashed to you? plantedbytherivers.com/wedding-pictures/21johntia-508logo/ I'm curious. She would tell you she picked her own course in life, including her own husband, but the truth is it was arranged by him and her father, exactly the Gothard way. I doont know if the Munck family is into ATI/IBLP/Gothard but they look like that type from the photos, hence my comment about brainwashing.

Edited to properly break link - please just cut off the http://www.http// at the beginning, no need to replace . with DOT, and it makes it very difficult for those on mobile devices - lilith

Oh wow, that was like a textbook fundie wedding. If there was a fundie wedding bingo, that one would fill a lot of squares! :lol: . That clutchy hug they are doing totally reminds me of a picture at the Botkin/Noor wedding. And OMG that try-hard first kiss. Dude, why is your hand on the back of her head? That is total overkill. :hand:

Oh wow, that was like a textbook fundie wedding. If there was a fundie wedding bingo, that one would fill a lot of squares! :lol: . That clutchy hug they are doing totally reminds me of a picture at the Botkin/Noor wedding. And OMG that try-hard first kiss. Dude, why is your hand on the back of her head? That is total overkill. :hand:

sry about the link, i originally did it that way, then panicked and added the dot. blerg. that is or was my childhood best friend; her mother handmade that dress. it looked like a 1940s wedding to me, but with color photos. iwas originialyl going to go but it was two states away and i didn't want to spring for the road trip. i just felt like i'd be way out of place and i knew that my friend and i aren't as close as we used to be a decade ago.

sry about the link, i originally did it that way, then panicked and added the dot. blerg. that is or was my childhood best friend; her mother handmade that dress. it looked like a 1940s wedding to me, but with color photos. iwas originialyl going to go but it was two states away and i didn't want to spring for the road trip. i just felt like i'd be way out of place and i knew that my friend and i aren't as close as we used to be a decade ago.

No problem re link. I put the reason for editing up to educate, not to scold.

No problem re link. I put the reason for editing up to educate, not to scold.

:clap: you didnt sound scoldy, it's all good.

I hope they didn't put in their vows they will let God do their family planning. I always thought that was inappropriate. After all the couple shouldn't have their family planning tied into wedding vows they make before even having one child. Ideas about family planning change drastically after a child enters the picture. Having it tied into a vow and then if you change your mind means breaking your wedding vows made before God, your spouse and in front of family and friends seems wrong. I know I posed the question if this wording is a requirement to fundie wedding vows in SODRT forum and never got an answer. So people in the now is this wording or clause if you will a requirement fundies have to put into their vows?

Completely agree. I wondered when Josh & Anna git married and included the no contraceptives bit in their vows. What happens when life changes in ways you could never have expected? In my case, several years into marriage I had to go onto a medication that causes severe birth defects. It was an easy decision to say no more kids and to send hubby off for a vasectomy. How would you deal with that if you made a promise to each other, before God and before friends and family never to use contraceptives?

Completely agree. I wondered when Josh & Anna git married and included the no contraceptives bit in their vows. What happens when life changes in ways you could never have expected? In my case, several years into marriage I had to go onto a medication that causes severe birth defects. It was an easy decision to say no more kids and to send hubby off for a vasectomy. How would you deal with that if you made a promise to each other, before God and before friends and family never to use contraceptives?

No sex?! At least until after menopause. ;)

If Anna (or most other fundies) needed that med, they probably wouldn't take it 'cause it would interfere with their baby makin'.....

I hope they didn't put in their vows they will let God do their family planning. I always thought that was inappropriate. After all the couple shouldn't have their family planning tied into wedding vows they make before even having one child. Ideas about family planning change drastically after a child enters the picture. Having it tied into a vow and then if you change your mind means breaking your wedding vows made before God, your spouse and in front of family and friends seems wrong. I know I posed the question if this wording is a requirement to fundie wedding vows in SODRT forum and never got an answer. So people in the now is this wording or clause if you will a requirement fundies have to put into their vows?

Every Catholic wedding I've ever attended has at least four or five references to the purpose of marriage being to procreate. I don't remember if this was part of the vows too, but it certainly is a focal point in the ceremony.

Children were mentioned a few times at my cousin's INTERFAITH wedding... which weirded me out because I felt like the world shouldn't be informed if my cousin and her husband want kids...

Children were mentioned a few times at my cousin's INTERFAITH wedding... which weirded me out because I felt like the world shouldn't be informed if my cousin and her husband want kids...

Really? If that's one of the things they're looking forward to in their marriage, it seems nice to include it. I've never been embarrassed to know that married couples want children...

Really? If that's one of the things they're looking forward to in their marriage, it seems nice to include it. I've never been embarrassed to know that married couples want children...

It was just that hearing that for this cousin's wedding felt out of place. I've never gotten the impression that she wants kids, and hearing this mentioned at her wedding ceremony by the pastor and the rabbi was jarring. (edit: also it felt like an invitation for nosy relatives to ask when they're having babies)

If someone wants to mention kids in their wedding vows, that is entirely up to them.

The ickiest part of it was having Boob read that as their vows. :disgust:

Muncks seems to have money. Their house is very nice, with a big swimming pool. They wear nice clothes and buy a lot of gifts for their children. They go to restaurants, holidays... So I don't understand why they did such a cheap celebration for their first child to marry. I think probably the groom comes from a family with few money than Muncks (or who doesn't like big celebrations) and they set the wedding acording to this. But I really see Munck parents enjoying a more elegant wedding. Sure their own wedding was better than Amanda's wedding. And sure at their wedding day they had a deeper relationship than Amanda and her husband, because Muncks DATED and it WORKED.

Elisabeth looks sad. I wonder if fundie boys don't want to court her now because what happened with Maxwell boy.

When my older sister got married, I was about 14. To be able to exert some control over the wedding, she and the groom paid for their wedding themselves. My father, who lived about 50 miles away, announced that he would pay for the wedding gown. He sent an astounding $100! My sister decided that it was improbable that any future daughter or daughter-in-law would want to wear her gown, so she rented one. She used the money Dad sent to buy the veil, thinking that it might be possible that her future daughter would consider wearing it, and if not, she'd have it for herself as a momento of the wedding.

No one told me about how Dad thought he'd paid for the wedding gown, so when he asked me if I was considering wearing it in my way-in-the-future wedding, I told him no. Not only was my sister taller and thinner than I was, our tastes were very different, but when he found out she'd rented her gown, he got very insulted.

Really Dad, just let the bride and groom do things their way and enjoy the day.

Oh wow, that was like a textbook fundie wedding. If there was a fundie wedding bingo, that one would fill a lot of squares! . That clutchy hug they are doing totally reminds me of a picture at the Botkin/Noor wedding. And OMG that try-hard first kiss. Dude, why is your hand on the back of her head? That is total overkill.

Someone needs to give these people a guide on how to kiss at the wedding. They're so focused on proving that they're not gay and can now have sex that they completely screw up the wedding kiss. If they don't want to be a laughingstock for having their first ever kiss at their wedding, then they need to get a little education first.

First, practice a bit. If you don't want to practice on your bride, practice GENTLY kissing the back of your hand. You're not trying to suck your bride's teeth out, you're giving a sweet kiss. Keep you tongue behind your teeth! If you feel that grabbing the woman's face is romantic, GENTLY cup the side of her face that is not facing the audience. There is no need to grab and hold, this woman consented to marry you, she doesn't need you forcing her face into position. Keep the kiss only a couple of seconds long, there's plenty of time to try again later. Don't grab her and do the stupid bend and suck just so you can 'prove' how great you are at this stuff. And keep anyone related to the Duggars out of the wedding party, those idiots are incapable of not stealing the show!

Muncks seems to have money. Their house is very nice, with a big swimming pool. They wear nice clothes and buy a lot of gifts for their children. They go to restaurants, holidays... So I don't understand why they did such a cheap celebration for their first child to marry. I think probably the groom comes from a family with few money than Muncks (or who doesn't like big celebrations) and they set the wedding acording to this. But I really see Munck parents enjoying a more elegant wedding. Sure their own wedding was better than Amanda's wedding. And sure at their wedding day they had a deeper relationship than Amanda and her husband, because Muncks DATED and it WORKED.

Elisabeth looks sad. I wonder if fundie boys don't want to court her now because what happened with Maxwell boy.

Her Bridal shower was nicer than her wedding. Just look at the pictures. They have what, 11 kids, but only 5 daughters. If they follow tradition, they only have to pay for the weddings for the daughters. There is a large age gap between the oldest and youngest. Plus, they are not paying for any higher educations. A nice, simple wedding, doesn't have to scream "cheap".

Her Bridal shower was nicer than her wedding. Just look at the pictures. They have what, 11 kids, but only 5 daughters. If they follow tradition, they only have to pay for the weddings for the daughters. There is a large age gap between the oldest and youngest. Plus, they are not paying for any higher educations. A nice, simple wedding, doesn't have to scream "cheap".

Yes, the bridal shower was better than the wedding, even guests clothes were nicer. I think the cheap wedding was because the groom's family. I wish a "princess wedding" for Elizabeth (I imagine she dreams it).

Speaking about cheap things, Muncks gave Amanda their old forniture. It's ok to help, but an old couch that has been used for 11 children can't be very clean or very confortable. What about buying a cheap BUT NEW couch? It's another problem with fundies: these girls don't work, so they cannot save money to afford their new life.

I'm all for weddings on a budget and the couple having what, who, where and so forth. I've been to awesome not traditional weddings on a budget. Bring a dish to bring a tent. To all you can drink Bolly types.

But I've also been to OAP coffee mornings that look better than that reception. I thought it was cute, but more an afternoon tea than a celebration. Maybe that's it, it just did not look like a celebration. Take away the wedding dress and it could have been anything from a Mother and Toddler group coffee morning fundraiser, an OAP tea dance, to a funeral tea. I'm thinking no music? Or no dancing?

Not sure about the Muncks, but it amazes me that all the fundies teach their kids these musical instruments then never use them for what I think is the best part 'a good old family shindig' Oh well.

I guess we are to assume, the Muncks are the type of fundies who don't believe in dancing at weddings...or anywhere. Seems like the VF fundies do dance. I've seen pictures of the Thomases, Mortons, Mcdonalds, and Servens dancing at different functions. It wasn't the electric slide, but at least they do dance a little.

Maybe they decided to spend the money on the honeymoon. After all this is the most time the couple will probably have together before children are in the picture.

Archived