IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

They get major points from me for having coloring books for the little kids. It's thoughtful and it gives the kids something to do if they get bored.

And I've always loved the idea of a buffet line for a wedding because everyone gets exactly what they want and its less work for any would-be waitstaff (aka me ;) )

I do think they should have brought more food though.

The one thing that's weirding me out is the giant "B" on the napkins, though. Why not his and her initials, or a picture of an owl? It feels weird to have his last name take such a prominent place on the napkin.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one thing that's weirding me out is the giant "B" on the napkins, though. Why not his and her initials, or a picture of an owl? It feels weird to have his last name take such a prominent place on the napkin.

They are Joe and Amanda Burke. The "B" is for Burke.

They are Joe and Amanda Burke. The "B" is for Burke.

I know but it feels like he's taking over a part of the wedding that they could easily share. Then again, the Muncks probably don't see it like that.

It could be a cost thing. It's not terribly hard to find napkins with a single initial, but napkins with both their initials would have to be custom ordered more than likely.

Aww all the hating on strapless dresses makes me anxious. I'm getting married next Sat & while I thought I wanted sleeves there were so few dresses with sleeves I went strapless. I am slim & tall though so can pull it off. I hope :(

Strapless looks very good on slim and tall people. I love strapless dresses too, I too, don't know why all the hate. Best o'luck, by the way!

I don't think we are hating on strapless dresses, but the point is it's not a flattering look for a lot of women. I think it's important for a bride to feel beautiful on her special day, period. I've seen many wedding gowns and prom gowns the past few years and the strapless look just isn't for everyone. I don't know what's in the stores (my children are boys, so we don't ever go to the mall), but it sounds like there aren't many non-strapless options.

The worst that I've seen was a lady with prison tattoos all over her upper arms. All. Over. They weren't even nicely drawn tattoos, they were all blueish and it was prison quotes and semi nude ladies and the word mama in a heart. Textbook examples of prison tattoos. Those tattoos I would have really covered up well.

Agreed! Sleeveless is not flattering on everyone, and I've seen more brides than not wearing the style that really doesn't look good on them. I do believe a bride should feel beautiful on her day, so if they all do in those sleeveless gowns, all the more power to them. But honestly, there's just a handful of brides who can really pull that look off without multiple armpits and ill-fitting bodices. Blech. Call me prude.

Sleeveless or strapless is for the evening (gala). A wedding gown is a day gown. A strapless dress and a veil is a ridiculous combo!

Agreed! Sleeveless is not flattering on everyone, and I've seen more brides than not wearing the style that really doesn't look good on them. I do believe a bride should feel beautiful on her day, so if they all do in those sleeveless gowns, all the more power to them. But honestly, there's just a handful of brides who can really pull that look off without multiple armpits and ill-fitting bodices. Blech. Call me prude.

wnd_5a0542ada4a35f8e71a6f1548f7126ed.jpg

In olden days (34 years ago) the trend was not sleveless--even for outdoor, non churchy weddings-- I had long lace sleeves, and some girls I knew wore "peasant dresses" then Diana's Wedding and suddenly everyone wanted a royal wedding with giant puffy sleeves. The sleeveless has been around a while now, eventually it will fade. I just wish I could find any casual summer dresses with sleeves

Love that photo! Strapless dresses certainly aren't for everyone, but it's hard to find other styles in bridal shops these days. I wonder if the food at the wedding has anything to do with where the Muncks live or if it's just a cost-saving measure. On another board, everyone was discussing weddings, and the people from the south said it was common to just have punch and cake or light food at weddings, while people from other parts of the country had full meals. I don't know if the Southerners here agree that that's true, but thought it was interesting, since every wedding I go to always provides a full meal.

Strapless is okay, but what I really hate is the mermaid/fit-and-flair/whatever style. Well, hate is the wrong word... I hate that it's so popular. TBH it flatters very few people, and it most definitely would not flatter me.

I was hoping Kate Middleton's wedding dress would have started a huge trend of putting sleeves on wedding dresses but I'm not seeing it. It's either strapless or sleeveless, and I'm so over that, not because of modesty but because it's been done to death..

Well, I am so glad to see that I am not alone! I particularly don't like the strapless style mainly because it's not very flattering (and it is boring) to most either. Also, (Ok, here goes the sewer in me) since there are no sleeves to help hold the dress up, the bodice needs to be pretty tight in order to stay up, therefore tendency for bad fit and multiple armpits. At least with sleeves, the dress is held up at the shoulder and there can be some variance with necklines styles.

FTR, I thought that Kate Middleton's dress was positively gorgeous and I was hoping that it would start the trend toward sleeves as well, but nope there's no sign of that happening yet. I think it will though. It's long past time for the strapless style to go away.

My wedding gown was very similar to Kate's and I was married in 1995! Fitted lace sleeves (no shoulder pads, thankyouverymuch!), modest neckline, etc. I was hoping to see more of that come back into style after Middleton sported her dress, but no sign of it yet!

And yes, when you don't have sleeves or straps, it's hard to hold "the girls" up, and most of what I've seen with large-busted women is NOT a good look. No amount of boning in that bodice is going to give those boobs a boost and if it does, it creates the extra armpits.

Aww all the hating on strapless dresses makes me anxious. I'm getting married next Sat & while I thought I wanted sleeves there were so few dresses with sleeves I went strapless. I am slim & tall though so can pull it off. I hope :(

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll look beautiful. My sister's gown was strapless and very lovely.

Large busted brides aren't supposed to rely on the boning in the dress. They need a corset or at least a full length strapless bra underneath the dress. That way you don't get the unsightly bulges plus a lot of the strapless dresses are corset backed and few people learn how to lace, pull, and tie them properly.

We had lessons a few years ago at a bridal shop who knew their business and it made a world of difference when it was all done properly.

It makes it a ton easier. A strapless, corset back wedding gown only has to be within one size to be adjustable to fit. If you're a 6 you could theoretically also wear a 4 or an 8. The 6 would probably look a bit better but the others could still work. So if a bride gains or loses a few pounds between order fitting and delivery, there should be no need for alterations due to that.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll look beautiful. My sister's gown was strapless and very lovely.

I am sure you will be lovely! Strapless dresses look great on the tall and the slim.

The trouble is that most bridal salons only seem to carry strapless - which unless the fitting and proportions are perfect does not look as good on the fuller figure or the woman with a larger bust or the woman who's shoulder line and arms are not nicely toned. For these women (I count myself in this group) it would be nice to have the option of sleeves more often and at a more reasonable price point. When I was getting married I spent a day trying on various wedding dresses and left the salon feeling sad and disappointed because all I found were strapless dresses that did not suit me. It worked out fine though. I went and got a really nice suit (red jacket and red knee length skirt - was vintage and I had a tailor alter it) and then I was able to wear the suit for many years after (although I usually wore it as separates).

I first got married in a short, embroidered, white cheongsam wearing a tiara and having my hair in a bun. And, the traditional dress of the given country where we got married. Totally unusual I know.

Do we know the time of the reception?

I believe the food was “adequate†for a lunch reception. I also, agree a hot meal like lasagna or pasta, or even fried chicken would have been more appropriate if it was a dinner reception or more formal affair.

Maybe the wedding seems sparse of decorations because the bride asked to have less obvious DIY items, since she has grown up with many DIY parties... I can imagine the bride wanting it look more “adult†then the average DIY birthday party and thus the lack of decorations.

But I applaud the bride on choosing not to use balloons. They quickly can look tacky if not used carefully.

Also, I like the scalloping along the bottom of her gown/petticoats.

I hope the new couple takes a different more modern path in life than their parents. :obscene-drinkingcheers: Cheers!

Ok, I guess I get that maybe in the South and among people with smaller wedding budgets and church people it's not common to have hot food at weddings, so a little bit of finger food is expected. I'm from a Russian background where weddings MUST have a good selection of hot and cold foods no matter what your budget so that's why it's just so strange to me when I see these Muncks and Kellers and Duggars with their sandwiches and trail mix. Although I recall at the Davilla wedding there was ham and turkey? I guess they might've meant ham and turkey sandwiches.

By the way, even though I agree with tackiness at fundy weddings, I've actually seen some images where balloons can look really whimsical and cute, see: eventstoatdc.com/2011/08/inspiration-balloons/

I am sure you will be lovely! Strapless dresses look great on the tall and the slim.

The trouble is that most bridal salons only seem to carry strapless - which unless the fitting and proportions are perfect does not look as good on the fuller figure or the woman with a larger bust or the woman who's shoulder line and arms are not nicely toned. For these women (I count myself in this group) it would be nice to have the option of sleeves more often and at a more reasonable price point. When I was getting married I spent a day trying on various wedding dresses and left the salon feeling sad and disappointed because all I found were strapless dresses that did not suit me. It worked out fine though. I went and got a really nice suit (red jacket and red knee length skirt - was vintage and I had a tailor alter it) and then I was able to wear the suit for many years after (although I usually wore it as separates).

Where you live, do big high street chains not have wedding lines? When I got married last year I tried a couple of bridal salons but hated all the dresses there (I was specifically looking for a dress with at least *some* sort of sleeves, but all the dresses there were strapless and made out of ugly and/or shiny material, which wasn't at all what I wanted), and was horrified by the prices, so instead I just went to shops such as Debenhams and tried on off-the-peg dresses. Much less hassle, much more choice re. sleeves, much lower prices for high-quality dresses...I ended up with a lovely dress from Monsoon, of the sort I wanted, that cost only £300 - at least £1000 less than most of the cheapest dresses in the salons.

I agree strapless dresses look wonderful on some people, so I'm not against them in general. I just personally didn't want one because throughout the day I'd feel somehow that the dress would fall down at some point, particularly as we had a barn dance/ceilidh in the evening. I know, I know, it's extremely unlikely that a strapless dress would actually slip down, even when being danced in vigorously...but I wouldn't be able to stop myself thinking that it might!

You're all assuming that Ma and Pa Munck are willing to shell out any real money, or even able to shell out, for what FJ has deemed a nice dress. These girls are raised to be married and are given cheap weddings (Homemade! Crafty! Pintrest!) and sent off to be good little broodmares.

It's not really about giving a girl a pretty dress or a nice wedding, it's really not. Also see: one less mouth to feed since Ma is pregnant again.

Congratulations on your wedding! As long as *you* love your dress, you'll look beautiful! Enjoy your day!

Archived