IGNORED

Munck Wedding!

fundyfunland

Oh, well as long as they look happy, that's all that matters, I guess. I hope you're willing to bring your snark back out the moment they have children to abuse and neglect. It shouldn't be too long of a wait, either. Every fundie wedding makes me sad.

Most fundie weddings make me sad too, but I have to think (hope) that at least a few of them are founded on genuine love for each other. If both Amanda and Joe are truly happy with their prescribed roles, then I'll hold my judgment and hope for the best for them. I also don't think we've seen any evidence of abuse or ill-treatment of their kids, have we? The parents do seem to love them and be really involved with them, so hopefully Amanda will continue on with this once she starts having kids.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three observations:

I agree that the dress looks a little ... incongruous. I adore how the chiffon drapes over the bust, and the ruched waist! I love it.

The sleeves and neckline are a different story.

I'm really surprised at how grown-up Amanda looks. She looks older than Elizabeth, and could easily pass for mid-twenties, IMO, and Joe looks like he could be her kid brother.

Call me a sap, but I think that couples with drastically different heights are utterly adorable. You know?

I do wish them the best, and want to see the bridesmaid dresses.

Ill-fitting dress. She doesn't seem to mind. Interesting there doesn't seem to be a veil.

They do look happy.

Three observations:

I'm really surprised at how grown-up Amanda looks. She looks older than Elizabeth, and could easily pass for mid-twenties, IMO, and Joe looks like he could be her kid brother.

This.

And the fundies are famous for inserting some kind of fancy tshirt inside an off-the-rack gown. God knows where they got this ill-fitting number, but to me, with all the beading, it just doesn't even coordinate. It must be very hard to make the current fashions into modest wedding apparel, but I think this one could have been so much better. I guess maybe no one in the Munck family sews? I think it's awful.

Yep, she was married on the 15th. Who gets married on a Wednesday, and what kind of reception could they possibly have had when everyone has to get up for work the next day?

New here, so maybe I missed it, but is it possible they had a civil wedding, like before a judge? That would be one reason they got married on a weekday maybe.

When I blow the pic up on my phone, the groom appears to still have acne.

That dress never would have been approved by Stevie for Liz. Much to immodest. The sleeves need to come to below the elbow and that collarbone needs to be covered! :o

I wonder if young fundie brides are taught that sex is a "marital duty", not something to enjoy.

I am trying to figure out if the sleeves and v neck coverage of the dress was added in. Does not seem to 'fit' the rest f the dress.

I think they are.

I don't get it - there are some genuinely pretty and classy modest dresses out there. But all of these fundie ones just look like tshirts to me.

But they do look very happy together.

I don't get it - there are some genuinely pretty and classy modest dresses out there. But all of these fundie ones just look like tshirts to me.

There are plenty of modest dresses available out there -- the Mormon girls who get married in the temple all seem to get it right. I'm guessing the engagements of the fundies are too short to order a Mormon temple gown within their short engagement-to-marriage timeframe, so they try to put something together to cover up buying a gown off the rack. I think Amanda's gown is just awful. It's like she's wearing an undershirt that someone put a few sequins on and it just plain doesn't fit. The outer frumper-gown wasn't made to be worn with an undershirt and it really shows.

There are plenty of modest dresses available out there -- the Mormon girls who get married in the temple all seem to get it right. I'm guessing the engagements of the fundies are too short to order a Mormon temple gown within their short engagement-to-marriage timeframe, so they try to put something together to cover up buying a gown off the rack. I think Amanda's gown is just awful. It's like she's wearing an undershirt that someone put a few sequins on and it just plain doesn't fit. The outer frumper-gown wasn't made to be worn with an undershirt and it really shows.

Had to scoot over to the blog and look. The sleeves and neckline are definitely added in and it does not match in terms of style or fabric to the dress. It looks to me they bought a sleeveless, lower cut gown made with lots of tulle and added sleeves and neckline of a different fabric, like peau de soie, with the beading. Alternatives could have been using similar fabric or fill in the neckline a little bit and make a shrug to wear over the top of the dress (ok, as a sewer, I can't help analyzing, lol). But considering the short engagement there probably wasn't time or they relied on a family friend or someone like that to make the alteration, not going to a professional which would have cost more $$$.

Speaking of Mormon modest gowns, there are plenty of alternatives. My sister lives in southern Utah and I see modest bridal wear advertised all over the place when I go visit. Also, there are a few seamstresses who made their living making Temple appropriate wedding gowns.

I don't get these unflattering dresses - when I google "modest wedding dress", I see some really cute examples that are not as ill-fitting as what these fundy girls end up wearing. Then again, I wonder if they're allowed to have lace or sheath sleeves? If the skin underneath is too immodest?

Wow, I've just fallen down the rabbit hole looking at wedding dresses targeted to Mormons. So that's where all the wedding dresses with sleeves have been hiding! Say Yes to the Dress is one of my guilty TV pleasures, and since I got married back in the Dark Ages of 1994 the apparent disappearance of any wedding dresses other than strapless ones has been puzzling to me.

Yikes. The dress really does look mismatched. I don't think it would have looked great (because I hate the t-shirt wedding dress look), but it probably would have looked a little better if they had just gotten rid of the original bodice entirely and made the top all out of the beaded fabric.

Aww, stop snarking (wow, did I just say that?). I mean, it's her big day and she and the groom seem so happy, why rain on their parade? If you all could see my wedding photo's and hear how me and my husband let everyone else try to control things, you'd have plenty to snark about. Our official wedding portrait clearly showed that we were just waiting for the whole thing to be over with. This young couple seemed much more relaxed and happy and in love. I hope they have a good life together and continue to stay happy and in love.

There should probably be a separate thread somewhere to share wedding horror stories. You know that among us we'd have a few doozies.

Wow, I've just fallen down the rabbit hole looking at wedding dresses targeted to Mormons. So that's where all the wedding dresses with sleeves have been hiding! Say Yes to the Dress is one of my guilty TV pleasures, and since I got married back in the Dark Ages of 1994 the apparent disappearance of any wedding dresses other than strapless ones has been puzzling to me.

YES! I find strapless wedding dresses boring and generally unflattering on most women. Sleeeeeves!

Sorry, but that dress is a hot mess. If they're so worried about their modesty why not get married in their polo shirt with a t-shirt underneath, the long denim Mennonite skirt and flip flops? There are plenty of wedding dresses with sleeves. If they weren't in such a hurry to get married so they could start having sweet fellowship, they could order a dress that actually fits and is modest.

It's not a crime to wear an ill-fitting dress. Not everyone cares about looking perfect on their wedding day. She looks beautiful and genuinely happy. The Muncks clearly love and enjoy their children and treat each one as an individual. That's a good foundation for moving away from fundamentalism. I wish them the best.

It's not a crime to wear an ill-fitting dress. Not everyone cares about looking perfect on their wedding day. She looks beautiful and genuinely happy. The Muncks clearly love and enjoy their children and treat each one as an individual. That's a good foundation for moving away from fundamentalism. I wish them the best.

I disagree. I think most brides care about looking perfect on their wedding day. At least in America. It's part of the dream. But maybe Amanda did feel perfect. But this is a snark board and we can take the liberty of judging her dress. It didn't fit, it was an odd combination of styles. But her smile looks genuine, so I hope she's happy.

I disagree. I think most brides care about looking perfect on their wedding day. At least in America. It's part of the dream. But maybe Amanda did feel perfect. But this is a snark board and we can take the liberty of judging her dress. It didn't fit, it was an odd combination of styles. But her smile looks genuine, so I hope she's happy.

This is a snark board?! I had no idea. ;) If most brides do care about looking 'perfect' then that's a shame, as it's basically impossible, and something's always going to go wrong, if not with the dress, then with the makeup, the hair, the decorations, the reception hall, unruly guests, rain, etc... I think Amanda looked nice, and hopefully she and everyone else involved cared more about the substance of the marriage than having the perfect dress.

Snark or not, talking about other's wedding dresses has been a going on for centuries :lol:

It looks better in the daylight to me. I think it looks like a bra on top of a t-shirt with the V thing going on. If it just had the beaded top without the bra V thing I would like it better.

High five to those about the strapless wedding dresses. EVERYWHERE!!!

Pretty girl. Her hair up really shows of her lovely face.

Snark or not, talking about other's wedding dresses has been a going on for centuries :lol:

It looks better in the daylight to me. I think it looks like a bra on top of a t-shirt with the V thing going on. If it just had the beaded top without the bra V thing I would like it better.

High five to those about the strapless wedding dresses. EVERYWHERE!!!

Pretty girl. Her hair up really shows of her lovely face.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize the dress. Snark away! I'm just offering my own opinion. :) Amanda is a naturally beautiful girl, so she pulls it off.

Had to scoot over to the blog and look. The sleeves and neckline are definitely added in and it does not match in terms of style or fabric to the dress. It looks to me they bought a sleeveless, lower cut gown made with lots of tulle and added sleeves and neckline of a different fabric, like peau de soie, with the beading. Alternatives could have been using similar fabric or fill in the neckline a little bit and make a shrug to wear over the top of the dress (ok, as a sewer, I can't help analyzing, lol). But considering the short engagement there probably wasn't time or they relied on a family friend or someone like that to make the alteration, not going to a professional which would have cost more $$$.

Speaking of Mormon modest gowns, there are plenty of alternatives. My sister lives in southern Utah and I see modest bridal wear advertised all over the place when I go visit. Also, there are a few seamstresses who made their living making Temple appropriate wedding gowns.

I live in Southern Utah and brides get married faster then fundies here. I worked for a short time years ago for the designing yellow page ads. I was assigned the wedding section & I was shocked when visiting the planners & seeing these high school gads planning a full wedding in 4-6 weeks. The Mormon planners knew their stuff & could get it done fast. Provo is the place for the modern modest gowns (southern Utah is overpriced & smaller selection so I know many girls who go together up to Provo to find their gown). There are also tons on craigslist. There is no reason a Munck or any other fundie could not get one in a month or less. there are plenty of Mormon temple brides that don't live in Utah an order dresses.

Amanda compared to her sisters seemed to be very busty, I wonder if that was a challenge in them trying to alter a dress. I recently (due to medication) went from a 36c to a 36ddd(please let this be temporary) and did not gain a pound elsewhere

and tops have been hard to find because they are either to baggy, not long enough, or very immodest. In Amanda's non wedding photos she looks like she has a cute figure but a bigger bust, this dress makes her look heavier then she is. Maybe they had to buy a large size to fit her bust but did not know how to take in the waist or hips properly?

The important part is she looks happy. I too am looking forward to seeing the decorations & bridemaids.

New here, so maybe I missed it, but is it possible they had a civil wedding, like before a judge? That would be one reason they got married on a weekday maybe.

NO! A wedding before a judge would not be considered a wedding at all for fundies.

I don't think I've ever seen all the hand slapping I've seen on this thread. Telling people to stop the snarking? Uh, ok, sure, we'll get right on that.

Archived