IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting 2013 - The Duggars do Part 4

happy atheist

I am curious if Josh's job will get any attention at all. I do intend to take part boycotting any products (will copy and paste that list later), but for it to have any effect, the media would need to get a hold of this.

Frankly, I don't the media will do anything. I had no idea the FRC was labeled a hate group (though I am not surprised), despite having heard about for years. Some rep for it is quoted in articles all the time about decency in television and "family values" and the like. It's never called an extremist group, and simply treated as being conservative in flavor.

It would be nice if a boycott could get going that would attract enough attention by the media to actually accomplish anything, but I'm not sure that will happen.

What's sad is that such a boycott was able to get a decent show like All American Muslims off the air - a show about tolerance and diversity, the very things that the FRC hates.

That said, if the show continues past this season, I am sure Josh's job will be white-washed, and the FRC will never directly be mentioned.

It has been called a hate or extremist group by more than just the Southern Poverty Law Center. Just google the terms.

If TLC intends to spend a significant amount of time filming Josh in DC while he is working at the Family Research Council, it will be an issue. I've known about Tony Perkins and his group for years; since it's days as an offshoot of James Dobson's Focus on the Family. So have gay advocacy groups. TLC will hear about it.

It wasn't boycotts that got All American Muslims off the air. It was the threat of boycotts and the media attention that went along with those threats. It didn't help that the show basically sucked, but so would a Josh and Anna show. There are far more interesting and less politically problematic freaks shows out there for TLC to latch onto. I should introduce them to some of my in-laws.

The timing of the announcement at the end of the last show of the regular season coupled with the fact that the Duggars and the FRC both immediately backed away and refused to acknowledge his obviously solid job offer months ago (before the season started) leads me to believe that the show is probably over for good. It wasn’t much of a story line, so I don’t buy the “they wanted to keep it a surprise for the show†argument. If they were so concerned about surprises, they would have kept the baby’s sex a surprise until the Pastor’s announcement.

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh won the weight loss challenge. Comparing final weights vs. the amount of weight each lost was BS. So was nobody pointing it out.

ITA. I'm guessing the producers had to do something to make sure that JB won. Such BS.

I really don't follow the Duggars/Duggar threads very closely anymore, so maybe this has been brought up before. If so, my apologies.

Who is the Duggar boy who had his hands over his ears at both the church service and when JB/Josh were on the rock climbing wall? I've been to lively churches and they aren't that loud. At first is just seemed strange and childish, but now I am wondering if he has some sort of disorder.

I really don't follow the Duggars/Duggar threads very closely anymore, so maybe this has been brought up before. If so, my apologies.

Who is the Duggar boy who had his hands over his ears at both the church service and when JB/Josh were on the rock climbing wall? I've been to lively churches and they aren't that loud. At first is just seemed strange and childish, but now I am wondering if he has some sort of disorder.

There were several kids who had their hands over their ears. The only one that specifically stands out in my mind is Justin and he otherwise seems quite normal.

I'm going to cut the kids some slack here. I don't think it was rudeness per se, I think they were freaked out by what they must have considered to be noise and also by what they were seeing. Imagine being told all your life that dancing and R&B type music are the works of the devil. And then imagine being brought one Sunday to a church, of all places, where this is suddenly thrust in your face.

The Duggars are hypocrites for bringing their kids there just for the sake of the show and it was cruel of TLC to use them like that. I did notice that Josh was trying to clap along, as was MacKynzie. With such a big TV in a little living room, they're probably more accustomed to loud music.

There were several kids who had their hands over their ears. The only one that specifically stands out in my mind is Justin and he otherwise seems quite normal.

I'm going to cut the kids some slack here. I don't think it was rudeness per se, I think they were freaked out by what they must have considered to be noise and also by what they were seeing. Imagine being told all your life that dancing and R&B type music are the works of the devil. And then imagine being brought one Sunday to a church, of all places, where this is suddenly thrust in your face.

The Duggars are hypocrites for bringing their kids there just for the sake of the show and it was cruel of TLC to use them like that. I did notice that Josh was trying to clap along, as was MacKynzie. With such a big TV in a little living room, they're probably more accustomed to loud music.

I'm sure the home church meets at noon(Duggar time) and Pastor Howard's church meets at 8 or 9am so I bet the kids were tired, forced up early by the film crew and told by their parents to be happy about filming. It look to me like a combination of confusion and fear (We can't dance or our parents will be pissed but what do we do while everyone is dancing, and maybe some of the older kids think, why do our parent force us to come to a place that sings and dances when they tell us it is wrong) and being just plain sick of filming staged events. The younger kids have not had the harsh training the older kids have had so it must be harder for them to show JOY while faking it during filming.

My impressions of the final episode are as follows:

1)Why is it necessary to have two Duggars in the talking head shots when only one of them ever says anything? (Jana's vacant expression as she looks at her sister really bothers me. I think she is the most like Mullet of the girls). This seems totally pointless from a production standpoint. Perhaps it's a Duggar/fundie thing.

2)Everything is scripted IMO. There is no way in heck that anything shot was a 'surprise'. I do not for one minute believe that Smugs and Anna (the whole family, for that matter, over the age of 14) didn't know this kid was a boy. I also do not believe that Smugs and Anna didn't tell Jim Bob, Mullet and the adult kids they were taking the job in DC before this episode.

3)This is the end of the series. TLC may shoot specials of the family but there isn't enough going on in their lives to sustain a series. The ratings also have been horrible.

4)Smugs and Anna, if they are in future tv shows, will not be featuring his job and probably won't even describe what it is he does or who he works for. If you noticed, in every episode this season talking about the move to DC, it has been vague.

5)I watched the Little Couple after this and the contrast between Jen and Bill and the Duggars is huge. I'd actually enjoy hanging with the LC while spending even minutes with the Duggars would undoubtedly cause me to poke myself in the eyes with needles or strangle one or more of them.

I wonder if TLC would issue a formal announcement that the show is cancelled, or just let it hang in limbo for a year before Josh mentions the cancellation in a comment on IG.

I can't see a Josh & Anna spin-off being successful at all. The entire premise of 19 Kids and Counting was this weird, super religious family with a whole slew of kids and a new one coming every year. There's just nothing 'unique' enough about Josh and Anna to merit their own show.

Yeah, but look at the success of the Real Housewives of anywhere and the Kardashians --- the only thing "interesting" or unique about any of them is that they have boatloads of money.

Yeah, but look at the success of the Real Housewives of anywhere and the Kardashians --- the only thing "interesting" or unique about any of them is that they have boatloads of money.

These shows feature people who have no problems doing anything for fame and $$ and the more outrageous the behavior the better. The Duggars have to maintain their image and since none of them live in the real world, their life experiences are pretty boring to most.

Wow. I was so surprised to read today that Josh took the job. I would have bet real money that he didn't get it. (guess it is good I don't gamble).

I did watch a few minutes of the first episode last night and got a good laugh out of one of the older girls (Jana? maybe?) using the phrase "sweet fellowship" in reference to the church service they attended. :laughing-rofl:

I have tonight's episode on my DVR, I will do a quick rewatch to see what commercials you missed. Thank you for putting this list together.

Thanks for the list, but NOOOOO!!! I pretty much live off of Morning Star Farms, this is heart breaking. :(

yes, thanks to the re-capper - fantastic job!

I would describe the reaction to Josh and Anna's announcement that they are moving as dead silence.

To be contrasted with reactions of immediate excitement and congratulations when a pregnancy is announced.

I was stunned by the lack of reaction -- how could no one congratulate Josh? and then, a bit later, the forced positive spin on it. It was clear the parents did not like this announcement and so none of the kids could either. So they had to be subdued and be somewhat loving and supportive without actually being enthusiastic or approving of this move.

I think everyone in my family would react the same way if someone said they were moving so far away. Pretty much everyone stays within a couple hours drive --- that big a move would be really sad and upsetting. The farthest anyone has gone is about half that distance - and it was a really big thing. I think them having little children also really ads to the upset.

After the shock wore off I'm sure we would manage to act happy and congratulate the person - but it would be really tough.

I know many (maybe most) families move farther distances more frequently - but some families really, really like to stay close. And we aren't fundie at all.

Has the FRC made an announcement about hiring Josh yet? I just find it weird that they haven't. Unless they are trying to heavily cooperate with TLC to get the free publicity TLC would offer them.

Shut the fuck up Boob about how you have dedicated your kids to the Lord.

Hell, when I was a month old, my mom and dad held my squirmy self in front of the congregation and dedicated me too. That worked out well. I'm the family heathen who uses birth control, and hates organized religion :lol:

I think everyone in my family would react the same way if someone said they were moving so far away. Pretty much everyone stays within a couple hours drive --- that big a move would be really sad and upsetting. The farthest anyone has gone is about half that distance - and it was a really big thing. I think them having little children also really ads to the upset.

After the shock wore off I'm sure we would manage to act happy and congratulate the person - but it would be really tough.

I know many (maybe most) families move farther distances more frequently - but some families really, really like to stay close. And we aren't fundie at all.

I suspect that was a complete re-enactment (assuming Josh ever told the whole family at once).

Josh almost certainly took that job as soon as it was offered to him, and I'm sure the family knew about it then as well. The wrench in the works happened when Michelle mentioned it in some interview in early March (it may have even been February) and her comments were picked up by E-Online and some other internet news outlets. http://www.eonline.com/news/398341/19-k ... group-quot

Once TLC got wind that this was hitting the news, they must have told the Duggars to STFU about it. A new season was just about to start and they didn't want any trouble. By the time they filmed that sequence, the family had probably known about the job acceptance for a long time. Michelle was acting, although she still may be pissed about it then.

Gotta wonder what the girls are really thinking about Smugs moving. He is getting away so do they think that there may be hope for them yet? I hope Jinger goes and stays with them for a while and gets a taste of city life. Maybe, just maybe the kool aid will taste a tad bit different in DC!

Am I the only one that looks at lists of products/companies to boycott and says "this is the easiest thing in the world to do?" I mean out of these lists there's maybe ONE company that I patronize, and if I had to, I could easily find a substitute.

I guess I'm just not a proper American Consumer.

But maybe the boycott is a moot point anyway if the series is over.

please someone step in and do it! I can't tonight... Through my dilaudid haze I hear "restoration Church" as "masturbation" church. I'm also likely to fall asleep...

OMG you made me choke on my food laughing...

Thank you very much livinoutofplace for the recap. I appreciate the recaps since boycotting the show. You did a great job filling in for Buzzard.

Buzzard I hope you feel better :)

I wonder if TLC would issue a formal announcement that the show is cancelled, or just let it hang in limbo for a year before Josh mentions the cancellation in a comment on IG.

TLC normally tells the family/business involved but doesn't make a public announcement unless they are trying to increase viewers for the last few episodes. Then they'll pimp out the end for a few weeks. I can only think of two shows that I've watched where TLC made an announcement that the series finale is approaching. The rest just dropped from the schedule and any announcement was on the participants' blog, facebook, etc.

Lizziesmom, with so many kids around the talking heads part would be the second most enjoyable thing about the series - right after the commercial breaks. If only the kids weren't blank eyed indoctrinated kids or little ones on a sugar rush. I would really enjoy it, but the whole jebus stuff, their very limited vocabulary, their ignorance just ruins the whole thing I guess.

If Josh and Anna re-branded themselves I could see a show being interesting. "We were raised by staunch Christian Conservatives and now we're rethinking things" would be very interesting and relatable.

I don't think that's where they're going though. Anna has made it a point to drop comments like "when we have six kids [blah blah blah]" in every episode. I bet she's hoping TLC will pick them up in a few years.

"We were raised by staunch Christian Conservatives and now we're rethinking things"

Over Jimbo's dead body they will.

Why does FRC want Smuggar??

Maybe he'll get the crappiest projects and assignments that nobody would want.

Why does FRC want Smuggar??

Maybe he'll get the crappiest projects and assignments that nobody would want.

I don't think so. They want him as a public face for this arm of their organization:

http://www.frcaction.org/about-us

It should make TLC a little skittish.

Archived