IGNORED

Mad Men

xDreamerx

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't hate the Don and Betty pairing. In fact I kind of liked it because it seems to have meant more to Don than to Betty. After all the times he was screwing behind her back, she finally got her revenge while she had breakfast with Harry after a night of Don sex. I liked the rather smug look on her face. She was as naive as Megan while married to Don, but not any more. She really gets Don now. I do not see this screwing around with each other as an on-going thing.

I also liked the scene where the politico tried to pick up Betty (yes, very similar to when Harry tried to pick her pregnant self up). I loved how Betty said, "I have three kids" in a disapproving way, but then asked him if she looked like someone who had three kids. The guy's trying to pick her up and she's fishing for a compliment. Betty's gorgeous, but I think she's feeling her age (early 30's, I guess? mid?) a bit.

All in all, I liked this episode, and much better than last week's weird , drug fueled epi.

I'm liking the Don/Betty a lot more after sleeping on it. I think re-pairing is just a pet peeve of mine. And Betty was 28 in 1960, so that would put her at a solid 36. Definitely a time when Betty might start feeling her age. She's more gorgeous than ever though, especially in those shorts and that yellow dress, which put Rome in mind for me.

I didn't like Betty cheating on Henry, since he has been so nice to her, but I loved Betty and Don hooking up. I just always liked them together. I'm glad that Betty seemed to be able to sleep with him and it not really mean anything to her ... except she understands him better.

When Peggy stabbed Abe with that make-shift self defense spear I couldn't help but laugh. And the whole scene with them in the ambulance made me laugh too. And when they cut to Don and Megan out on their balcony with a amubulance wailing by, I thought it could be the one that Abe and Peggy are in! LOL!

I did feel for Peggy during the whole show and then especially at the end when she found herself all alone between the two closed office doors of the men she wanted the most respect from. (And even more from Ted.)

Pete meeting with Duck was WTH? But maybe Peggy and Pete will leave and start a company of their own.

Did I hear Betty say she didn't feel guilt, because "this happened a long time ago"? As in, sex with Don was just a 'fer old time's sake' and meant little?

I wish she'd healthy up. Her lyrical little laughter at Henry's breakfast bon mots seemed sincere, but knowing that Don was glaring at her from a not-so-great table-for-one across the hall made it feel temporary. Well, I guess Betty and mental health are only on temporary terms.

So Peggy's alone, no man in her life. Can I say I adore Chaough for being all stiff-upper-lip and professional, as in, "I'm not jeopardizing my good relationship for an office fling [so fraught with peril] with you, as you have, I'm putting it out of my mind." I doubt that will last much longer than Betty's equanimity.

Although Betty did seem to genuinely be enjoying her interaction with Bobby.

Peggy's box-pleated dress took me back to when I had the figure to wear such a cut. And I rocked it.

Did anybody else think Bob Benson(Bunson) was going to rat out Joan and Roger? But he had Manolo Caron to tell CreepyPete about, instead. I know it's mostly self-serving, but I hafta like the guy (BB).

Loved Roger's daughter reading her dipwad dad the riot act. Especially love that she requires Mother to be with Daddy for any future outings with the little boy. I love seeing John Slattery and his real-life wife, Talia Balsam, in these roles together.

"Abe got stabbed." Way to casually omit some fairly pertinent info, there, Pegs. Good episode! :sick:

I gasped when Peggy accidentally stabbed Abe but what a way to break up.

I so want to read his article now. :lol:

But I did feel SO bad for Peggy... I liked her with Abe. Then getting shot down at work... ouch.

Guy, this week's recap is going to be late. I'll have it up by tomorrow at the very earliest. Moved to my aunt's place, she has the worst Internet in the history of ever, etc, etc. Sorry for the delay!

Guy, this week's recap is going to be late. I'll have it up by tomorrow at the very earliest. Moved to my aunt's place, she has the worst Internet in the history of ever, etc, etc. Sorry for the delay!

That's ok! I look forward to reading it.

I was cheering for Joan. I love Pete getting screwed over. I hope he just explodes one day.

Thanks for the recap! I loved how they played Piece of My Heart at the end.

I don't think that Ginsberg is wrong about Bob Benson being gay. I don't know if he is or not, but I think it's a real possibility. Bob could end being Joanie's GBFF -gay best friend forever. I think the nurse he recommended to Pete is his boyfriend. I don't recall off-hand, but did he say that the guy was a former Army nurse? It was pretty unusual to a man to be a nurse back them, but some gay men did become nurses in the military. Gil Baker, the designer of the Rainbow Flag, had been a nurse in the Army till he was discharged for being gay

Crazyforkate, your recaps are a thing of beauty.

I loved that Ted is getting the neighbor's kid a Dubba deferement.

Guest Anonymous

I strongly dislike Bob Benson. I'd assumed that we were supposed to be reading his character as dishonest, self-promoting, manipulative, pathetic, arse-kissing and unsubtle. I was genuinely surprised to find so many Internet folk actually rooting for him. I've been waiting for him to be told off, embarrassed and made to go away.

I'm slightly worried about Peggy. The sad, lonely, cat-lady cliché is looming. Is it wrong that I want her to end up with Stan?

Edited: wording

PennySycamore was exactly right about Bob Benson being gay (and probably about he and Manolo being lovers).

I don't get Pete's magnetism, drawing in both genders, either, but there ya go. Now I'd understand Don, but he's so intimidating, Bob would never make that move. I don't think Pete's gay, but I was surprised he gave it a second or two before he moved his knee away, and took Bob's pass fairly calmly.

I loved Manolo giving Pete's ass the once over.

So we're down to two more episodes. How does the Don-Sylvia affair end? Especially now that Sally knows?

Oh, and Peggy's face when Pete's mom talked about the child they have together was great (she didn't know how right she was!). "Did she go to China for that tea?" I just love Peggy. She and Stan definitely have good chemistry. I don't know whether I want them to get together or not, but they'd make a great couple.

I'm still kind of thinking it's going to end up as Peggy and Don being platonic life partners and conquering Madison Avenue with their awesome. If Don survives the series, that is.

I hate Don so much. He is the worst human being in existence. Sally cannot be that naive. Pleeeease, Sally, speak up.

I hate Don so much. He is the worst human being in existence. Sally cannot be that naive. Pleeeease, Sally, speak up.

He and Pete Campbell need to share a cell in hell.

I didn't think I could detest a fictional character more than I already hated Pete, but this last episode has me fuming.

What is it, Pete? If sex is so great, what's the harm in letting your momma have a little fun - even if it's all in her head (which I rather imagine it is)?!

One of my sisters told me a story that lessened my gripes on this count a little bit. Casanova gets into an elevator with a young man, a young woman and the woman's grandma. Casanova hits the emergency stop button and says, "Now, I weel have my way wiz ALL of you!" The young woman gasps, "Not Grandma!" Grandma whacks the young'uns arm and says, "Shut up! The man's gonna do what the man's gonna do!" ;)

ETAsk, is anybody else disappointed that Bob's gay? I think I was because I was hoping he was going to be a smarmy but good guy who gave Joan some real support. So it goes.

ETAdd: I never expected to be disappointed at the sight of Jon Hamm's .... buns. The producers/cameras did a good job of making him and Sylvia's passion seem disgusting.

Poor Sally has now witnessed fellatio and her dad in extramarital coitus. Will she become a nun?

Which reminds me - is there an episode where Sally gives pleasure to that one kid? I read a reference to it but am not about to watch all the old epi's just to confirm or deny. TIA!

Off to read our recap! :dance:

Bob can be Joanie's gay BFF. I think she needs a guy who is totally not into her for sex but only friendship. I think lots of women need that.

Sally may become asexual or maybe she'll just need years and yeas of therapy. I don't think she and Glen ever fooled around.

ETA: Tom and Lorenzo wrote a great piece about Bob being gay and the gay scene in New York in the 60s. It's long, but well worth reading. I'd also recommend watching The Boys in the Band on youtube (they posted a link). I love the movie. The first part is just such fun and then, well, it gets brutal and heartbreaking.

ET add the link:http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06/mad-style-favors.html

Penny, thanks, I'll go read T&L now

crazyforkate, really enjoyed the recap, but I don't feel any sympathy for Pete. He's made his (several) bed(s), let him live in misery over his catting ways. His mother was just telling the truth - he's a sour person.

Penny, thanks, I'll go read T&L now

crazyforkate, really enjoyed the recap, but I don't feel any sympathy for Pete. He's made his (several) bed(s), let him live in misery over his catting ways. His mother was just telling the truth - he's a sour person.

Pete could not be a worse person if he made it his life goal. He deserves whatever karma has in store for him. And I so hope it's huge and delicious and I will forever be grateful.

Does anyone think Pete will eventually use that shotgun he bought? If so, will it be on himself or others?

Does anyone think Pete will eventually use that shotgun he bought? If so, will it be on himself or others?

I don't know, but I do know that Matt Weiner has said that the stuff you see in the teasers for next week's show is not to be believed. If Matt could, he would have no teasers for next week's show, but they've become such standard operating procedure that he was forced to.

Mmm... It took me one episode to get hooked. And one episode to hate Don and Pete with every fiber of my being.

Archived