IGNORED

Mad Men

xDreamerx

BEST! EPISODE! EVER!

Oh mah dawg the twists, the descent of Don, the seeming redemption of Don and the rejection that puts him into the frickin' FETAL POSITION?! EEEEEE--leventy I couldn't bear to FF nor mute the sound!

Loved everything about it. No, there wasn't enough Joan but what there was ? PERFECTION!

PS: Does anybody else wonder if they pad Christina Hendricks? seems like her back is much rounder/fatter on the show than it ever appears on the red carpet or in the liquor ads.

(I erased the DVR copy as is my habit but that is one I'd watch again. Brilliant!)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BEST! EPISODE! EVER!

Oh mah dawg the twists, the descent of Don, the seeming redemption of Don and the rejection that puts him into the frickin' FETAL POSITION?! EEEEEE--leventy I couldn't bear to FF nor mute the sound!

Loved everything about it. No, there wasn't enough Joan but what there was ? PERFECTION!

PS: Does anybody else wonder if they pad Christina Hendricks? seems like her back is much rounder/fatter on the show than it ever appears on the red carpet or in the liquor ads.

(I erased the DVR copy as is my habit but that is one I'd watch again. Brilliant!)

Yes, I wondered that too.

I still think Sally is going to tell someone about Don.

I hope so!!!!

Not only would it move the story in a very interesting direction, but no child Sally's age should have to carry a secret like that, alone!!!

I think Don's going to have some kind of catastrophic incident, even if it's not dying or getting a divorce or something. Let's hope it's not the "nothing happens" that last year's was, though it was a good episode. This season has really been erring on the side of slow this year.

Girl!! No grass grows under your feet when it's recap time! Thanks a million for that. If S6 was the least, I can't imagine how good 1-5 were. As much as I dislike Don, I want to see him and his kids redeemed!!!

Great recap (is that a picture of you at the end?).

I liked the season ending episode. All season long I kept expecting some huge tragic ending. Someone getting killed, or something like that (well I guess Pete's mom did get killed, maybe). And of course all the rumors about Megan being killed, Bob Benson being a murderer, Pete and his gun.

But even Don's firing wasn't a big dramatic scene.

I like that he's starting to be honest with those around him about who he really is. We might see a different, healthier Don Draper next season.

I agree with you, Kate, that this almost felt like the ending to the series, with Don coming to terms with who he is, Roger getting to know his son, Pete being free of both his parents now and maybe realizing all he's lost with his divorce.

Don't hate me, but I could almost see Don and Betty getting back together at some point.

ETA: I should add that it felt like the series ending for the men, but they left Joan, Peggy, Betty, and Megan with no such ending. Next season, maybe they can concentrate on the Mad Women. We need more Joan!!!

I'd read some comments on TWOP and was prepared for this to be a stinker. Au contrary, moan amy! I was on the edge of the barcalounger from start to stop - with a FF through the Tedgy sex scene, I can answer the question: no, neither Ms. Moss nor Mr. Rahm are hot.

In no particular order: Betty despondent that the bad is going to win out over the good. How can she know the origins of her children's father and not fret that one every day? "Your grandmother was a whore, Sally, now forget Miss Porter's and get thee to a nunnery!" or "Your grandfather was an abusive, whoring prick, Bobby - today you tear up the wallpaper, tomorrow, you wake up in an institution for the irretrievably evil!" I see nothing but restraint and - until now - optimism in Betty. Of course I haven't seen the parts where she whales on the kids.

Over on avclub they're feeling sorry for Peggy, whose life is so hobbled by the men who've made decisions for her. OK, I am about Real Peggy's age now, and I can tell you with pretty good authority that she had all kinds of opportunities to make her own decisions. She didn't have to sleep with Pete The Puke, didn't have to listen to her boyfriend's cockamamie reasoning about buying on the west side instead of the tidy unit in the already-up-and-coming part of town; didn't have to pursue things with Ted the loser.

Heck, she didn't even have to follow her talents into the creative side. She could've stay a secretary and lured some bright young adman into marriage.

Loved seeing Alison Brie. Not sure how she and Tammy are keeping the nice suburban house but SO RELIEVED she didn't take P.Pete back.

The Bob Benson storyline both amuses and annoys. Did he actually just show up and settle in? Do they cut him a paycheck? Is Joan dense enough to not see that he's gay gay gay? He's slick, never stops trying: "Joan's mom dod her hair special for you, Roger!" Maybe Joan will be the one to stop this Don 2.0.

What amazes is the God/AA/Christian spin on the last of it. I understand that it bookends pretty nifity with the opening episode's reading of The Inferno, I still can't believe the show went this way -- with potential redemption coming from the purest, most historical concept of redemption. Really, showrunners!? You're going to let two random Christians' attempts to witness be a construct for good and for progress in this story? .... a cautious "thank you!"

I hope Betty and Mr. Francis stay together. They seem sincerely to like and love each other, Betty's neuroses - and Mr. Francis's unexplored neuroses, we all have 'em! - to the contrary.

Dying to know how much Don's going to let Sally know about his childhood. "Well, your grandmother was a whore, y'see .... " It won't go that far. Will it?

I have more but I've already sat too long. Good episode, IMHO! Good season closer! Bring on S6 and please let it be the last, I so want this show to go out at the top of its game!

Just a quick reply for now:

Oh, Joanie knows Bob is gay. She lives in Greenwich Village and probably encounters gay men all the time. She knew that Sal was gay before Don did. Joanie needs to have a gay BFF, a man who can just be her friend and had no interest in her sexually. There's absolutely no sexual chemistry between Joanie and Bob.

I am so glad that Don slugged that preacher in the bar. That kind of stuff annoys the ever-living fuck out of me! I think Don's redemptive moment occurred in the drunk tank. I don't know if he wrote this episode, but series creator Matt Weiner is Jewish.

Just a quick reply for now:

Oh, Joanie knows Bob is gay. She lives in Greenwich Village and probably encounters gay men all the time. She knew that Sal was gay before Don did. Joanie needs to have a gay BFF, a man who can just be her friend and had no interest in her sexually. There's absolutely no sexual chemistry between Joanie and Bob.

I am so glad that Don slugged that preacher in the bar. That kind of stuff annoys the ever-living fuck out of me! I think Don's redemptive moment occurred in the drunk tank. I don't know if he wrote this episode, but series creator Matt Weiner is Jewish.

I think the writer was Carly Ray. The "minister" in the bar wasn't AA because that's not how they roll, but he served an important purpose in the storyline, bringing to mind Don's/Dick's earlier encounter with a preacher .... and he did get punched, so that should make ya feel better! ;)

That Weiner is Jewish makes it all the more remarkable and wonderful that the actual attitude of Jesus/traditional Christianity was made so clear: grace, forgiveness, is there for the taking, just don't reject it; don't think God won't forgive the worst sins. I don't by any means expect Don and Megan to find a church and become active members. It wouldn't be Mad Men if they did. But if the storytellers continue Don's new understanding of redemption and second chances into the last season, good grief, what will happen? I'm seriously already hopping around waiting for it to start! :doh:

Everyone's got interesting stuff to say, so I'll divide this answer up.

MamaJunebug: After some reflection, I'm not so sure if this was significantly weaker. It's very very different from before, and that threw me off. It's moving in a different direction. Changed? Yes. Worse? Not really. The show is transitioning just like the decade it takes place in. And you haven't seen Seasons 1-5?!

I'm a little torn on the religion thing. On the one hand it seems to obvious. On the other hand...why not? The show's good enough to handle almost anything gracefully.

kpmom: I'm really excited to see what happens to Pegster next season. A lot of people are predicting her imminent decline, personally speaking. As for Don and Betty getting back together...nah, I think they're done, but will be friendlier from now on. Betty's conversation with Don seemed to have a new maturity to it. And yes, that is me. Couldn't resist pulling a Miss Raquel.

PennySycamore: Carly Wray (not familiar with her work) co-wrote with Weiner, Weiner directed, but of course he tends to be a control freak even when not an "official" writer. And I would agree with you that the drunk tank drove Don forward. And yup, Joanie's got Bob's number - but I don't know if Roger's figured it out. I'm inclined to think no, but yes after Thanksgiving.

CFK, you are a cutie!

I identify in several ways with Miss Olson. I was one of the first women in my profession [sic] though I didn't go as far as Peggy .... personally (heh) OR professionally. But I did do way better than anybody ever expected, so I have a real personal investment in hoping she will succeed Don and that cretinous Ted as creative director with neither personal meltdowns nor alcoholic decline. It did happen .... I can't think of the mad women who got way farther on the agency ladders than any woman before them, but I'll try to look 'em up.

It's probably the heat but I"m not sure how I indicated things were weaker... Hmm. No, I came very late to MM, my curosity piqued by an ole boyfriend on FB who's obviously a devotee. Have tried to look at as many past eps as possible, but honestly some of the stuff is so close to what I saw and/or experienced that it's creepy. I know: Wuss, table for one!

I am curious to see the episode where we see Dick swipe Don's identity. And where Anna ferrets out her dead hubby's impostor.

Which brings to mind -- what are all y'alls' favorite episodes or seasons??

Oh, I was saying that Season 6 seemed weaker, and you said something about how good 1-5 must be. It was me reflecting on my past claim, not anything directed at you!

And I like Ted. Poor guy is totally out of his depth in Draperville.

DEFINITELY catch up on the past 5 seasons if you can. The Dick/Don thing happens late in Season 1, and the Anna storyline occurs in 2.12, "The Mountain King". Which is one of my personal favorites, though nothing will ever top the magic that is "The Suitcase" (4.7). Last night's finale comes close, though, along with "Shut the Door, Have a Seat" (3.13), "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency" (3.6), and soooo many others. Overall, I feel that the best season was 4, hitting the perfect balance of risk-taking and paying off very nicely.

Oh, I was saying that Season 6 seemed weaker, and you said something about how good 1-5 must be. It was me reflecting on my past claim, not anything directed at you!

And I like Ted. Poor guy is totally out of his depth in Draperville.

DEFINITELY catch up on the past 5 seasons if you can. The Dick/Don thing happens late in Season 1, and the Anna storyline occurs in 2.12, "The Mountain King". Which is one of my personal favorites, though nothing will ever top the magic that is "The Suitcase" (4.7). Last night's finale comes close, though, along with "Shut the Door, Have a Seat" (3.13), "Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency" (3.6), and soooo many others. Overall, I feel that the best season was 4, hitting the perfect balance of risk-taking and paying off very nicely.

When I get Netflix (eventually!!!!! :whistle: ) I will look those up first thing!!! Thanks!

I have to admit that I was a tad disappointed that Ken Cosgrove didn't die from the gunshot. Only because it meant I was wrong when I watched that scene, yelled "They killed Kenny!", and then giggled like a 10 y/o for about 5 minutes.

ETA: I don't know what they are doing to lovely Christina's wardrobe this season, but seriously, Joan looks cartoonish. I'm not hating because I have a really similar body type, but when she's onscreen I'm just distracted at how over the top she looks. I don't think it's padding though - just a LOT of corseting, super push-up bras, and outfits that make the curves pop even more. I miss her wardrobe in the first few seasons, which was so much more flattering. But then again, I think maybe it's supposed to be a sign of the character's fear of growing older and losing her sex appeal, especially now that she is single with a baby and her mother lives with her, and she's over-compensating with the way she dresses?

Also, speaking of clothes, I LOLed when Peggy walked into the office in that super-sexy outfit in the last episode. Elisabeth Moss just does such a great job of communicating Peggy's vulnerability and slight awkwardness in playing an overtly "feminine" role, since she has had to play an overtly "masculine" one in order to get ahead all those years and has become thoroughly comfortable in it. Elisabeth gets a rough deal with wardrobe too though! There have just been so many wonderfully WTF outfits.

• 2 months later...

No matter how they do it, I'm going to be disappointed if Pete doesn't get royally bitch slapped by Karma. And Don needs to be a better father.

Need more Queen Sally putting him in his place. I hope she milks that.

• 6 months later...

So who is incredibly stoked for the season premiere tonight? Seems like it's going to involve a lot of interesting things. My recaps should be up by the afternoon of the next day, for those in North America. Happy Mad Men Day!

So who is incredibly stoked for the season premiere tonight? Seems like it's going to involve a lot of interesting things. My recaps should be up by the afternoon of the next day, for those in North America. Happy Mad Men Day!

I can't wait! I am glad, though, that it doesn't air at the same time as tonight's episode of Cosmos.

I can't wait for your recap either!

ETA: I was about to get panicky! AMC had not been coming in all day. I just checked, though, and it's coming in now. Whew!

The ending of this evening's episode of The Simpsons had a Mad Men theme.

2nd edit: There was a clown car in tonight's Family Guy!

edited a third time for riffle

Great recap, crazyforkate!

The fact that it's 1969 and Megan apparently lives up in the hills calls to mind that the Tate-LaBianca murders will be that August. I just hope that Megan didn't get pregnant when Don was visiting. Sharon Tate was 7 months pregnant when she was butchered by the Manson family.

I love the little British sports car that Megan was driving. Was it a Triumph? An MG? I don't know, but I do love it.

Megan's agent was unlikely to be hitting on her, because I'm pretty sure he was gay. The agent is supposedly based on a real agent, Jay Bernstein who discovered Susan Sommers and Farrah Fawcett.

The old movie that Don was watching on TV was the classic black-and-white version on Lost Horizon directed by Frank Capra. A movie about Shangri-La seems fitting as Don has never for one minute experienced it.

I don't think they'd do another pregnancy after last season with the Hawaii "accident". Any reference to Tate would most likely be pretty roundabout, like Don watches coverage on TV and there's some kind of parallel storyline involving a similar motif and SYMBOLISM, LOOK AT THE SYMBOLISM.

Archived