IGNORED

Mad Men

xDreamerx

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazyforkate, no need for apologies, my goodness!

Oh my dog, I've been thinking along the same lines – I don't fear dying but as I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to find out how madmen ends once I'm in heaven, I'd really prefer to live to see It on earth!

See, Steve? Sometimes the beast can be a good thing!

Crazyforkate, no need for apologies, my goodness!

Oh my dog, I've been thinking along the same lines – I don't fear dying but as I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to find out how madmen ends once I'm in heaven, I'd really prefer to live to see It on earth!

See, Steve? Sometimes the beast can be a good thing!

To change Steve's favorite question up a little bit; "Do you know what tv show will you be watching when you die?"

OK, back in an earlier season Betty's father has a mini stroke and they go to visit him in PA. Betty's brother suggests putting him in a nursing home and he mentions "There's one near New Brunswick called the Parker Home." I remembered that because I also live near New Brunswick. Well, yesterday, I was driving thru New Brunswick approaching the light at the corner of Easton Ave. and Landing Lane and what was there?? The Parker Home. That's kinda weird.

Wow. I had no idea they were THAT thorough. Unless it was a coincidence, but somehow I don't think so. Weiner must spend a lot of time on Google.

Great recap, as always, crazyforkate!

Somehow, I missed most of the stuff with Betty and Henry. I'll have to catch it again.

I was waiting for Ginzo to go nuts. The signs that he would have been around all season. I thought that it was kind of Stan to go with him to Bellevue (I assume). Bellevue was the traditional NYC "looney bin". (Not trying to make light of people with mental problems., btw.)

Is Betty becoming just a bit of a feminist? She's an entitled witch, but I like how she stood up to Henry.

Is Betty becoming just a bit of a feminist? She's an entitled witch, but I like how she stood up to Henry.

Just a bit, I'd say. ;) Her transformation - if the showrunners deign to include it - should be really something! :lol:

I wanted to punch Pete in his smug, stupid face. Trudy needs to tear him another one.

I wanted to punch Pete in his smug, stupid face. Trudy needs to tear him another one.

You n me both, sistah. It was good to see the actress again. RIP, Community.

Off to enjoy the recap.

Someone pointed out on Tom and Lorenzo that Stonewall is coming up next week. I'm not surprised that Joanie knew that Bob was gay; she lives in Greenwich Village which was even then a gay enclave. (It was where The Stonewall Inn was and the Oscar Wilde Bookshop.) If you want to see a good representation of what gay life was like in New York in the late 60s, but pre-Stonewall, check out The Boys in the Band. You can watch the whole movie on youtube. Emery talks about having to keep a certain distance from one another when the bakery guy is delivering Harold's birthday cake. Bernard refers to Emery having a run-in with a vice cop. That was a constant threat then.

Here's a link to the clip that I was talking about. It is definitely NSFW.

ETA: I maybe would have posted the clip but it is almost 10 minutes long and I was using the mobile style, as well.

Good recap!

I hope, along with you, that Don and Peggy don't become an item. There is wonderful friend chemistry between them, and I hope that's all it is.

It's possible a help-me-make-it-through-the-night one night stand is in the works for these two lonely souls, though.

I can't believe Bob really believes he's Joan's last, best hope for a husband. Joan's hardly a shrinking violet, even with a kid and her mom.

You mentioned Don saying he'd see Megan at the end of July, right around the moon landing. That made me wonder about the Tate murders, and i found they took place on August 9.

I know much has been made of the murders and Megan, but it does make you wonder if there is something to it.

Or, we're just being played.

I have been thinking for a while the Tate murders will play into this show. Maybe Megan will supposed to be at that house that night? Or that cray-cray actress friend of hers will get hooked up with Charles Manson? There is no way we won't see or have the characters not affected by Manson. Only one more new episode right?

I have been thinking for a while the Tate murders will play into this show. Maybe Megan will supposed to be at that house that night? Or that cray-cray actress friend of hers will get hooked up with Charles Manson? There is no way we won't see or have the characters not affected by Manson. Only one more new episode right?

When Don's sort-of niece showed up, blonde and pregnant, I wondered if she'd be a murder victim.

Then I read some internet speculation that the father of her baby might be one of Manson's male followers, and niece and boyfriend return to Megan's house once he is released from jail to rob and kill her.

But then I wonder, since there are so many theories about Megan and the Tate murders, are the writers just throwing out red herrings that will never amount to anything?

All we can do is stay tuned, I guess.

Great recap, crazyforkate!

Everything about this episode was brilliant. Peggy's pitch to Burger Chef was perfect, the reactions to the moon shot were spot-on, and I loved seeing Robert Morse singing and dancing to "The Best Things in Life are Free", in his stocking feet, no less. What a way to end the half-season!

Great recap, crazyforkate!

Everything about this episode was brilliant. Peggy's pitch to Burger Chef was perfect, the reactions to the moon shot were spot-on, and I loved seeing Robert Morse singing and dancing to "The Best Things in Life are Free", in his stocking feet, no less. What a way to end the half-season!

Seconded w/r/t the recap! Fabulous.

Heard an interview with Jon Hamm in which he says the final two episodes still haven't been taped/filmed. I've been trying to imagine that Waterloo was the series ender, and what happened next to the principal characters.

A few ideas are rummaging around in my what-passes-for-a-mind, mostly having to do with Megan becomes fabulously successful and forgets all her friends at SC&P so we only have to hear reference made to her;

but I'm also liking the idea of Don/Dick being shaken to the very core of his being, by Bert's ghostly message, and as a result, he sells his shares, provides for his children and "his" niece and her baby, and moves to wherever it was that Bert's religious philosophy originated. Seriously. Finding himself at age ... what is he, in 1969, not quite 40? It happened back then especially, I'm sure!

Peggy rises to the top at McCann.

Roger doesn't die of VD, and he begins to really enjoy life. He and Joan might even buy neighboring villas in the Hamptons, or adjoining condos on Park Avenue, and raise their little guy and Marigold's son indulgently but prudently.

That's just what I've got so far.... It seems to be satisfying my impatience with the idea of having to wait a frickin' YEAR for the actual finale! :cray-cray:

Don turned forty in Season Five, which was 1967ish? Anyway, I'm still stuck on the DB Cooper theory, just because it's so awesome. Probably won't happen though...

• 8 months later...

MamaJunebug,

There for a minute I got confused with Downton Abbey when you referred to Marigold. Marigold is Edith's baby on DA.

• 1 month later...

Oh, Roger, please, for the love of God, shave!!

When Don saw Rachel in the mink (or her ghost, I guess), she said something like, "I'm here to tell you you missed your flight". Assuming I heard it correctly, what do you all think that meant?

Poor Joan and Peggy having to deal with those sexist pigs.

crazyforkate, old fart that I am, I remember when that Peggy Lee song was popular, and the weird fire narration was how it began. All of us kids loved that song for some reason.

I think it was all part of the episode's theme - missed chances and such. In this case, referring to how he missed his chance to be with Rachel. I didn't mention this in the recap because it didn't occur to me until later, but there was a point in the first season where Don proposed that the two of them run away together, I think actually to Paris. Weird kind of mirror when you contrast it with Peggy and Stevie in this episode. So I guess it was referring to that incident?

Archived