IGNORED

they can has rooms!-lias kids living like human beings....

tabitha2

When I was a teenager, I had a mattress on the floor for what was meant to be a brief transition between giving my bunk bed to my cousins and getting a new one. I liked it so much that I refused to get another bed until after I left for college - I loved my little "nest" area and it gave my tiny bedroom a lot more space. So the LiaS girls may actually be expressing their preferences.

Of course, even my tiny room afforded me a bed, desk and dresser, so I was living in an opulence unknown to them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the questions.

In the closet? :shock:

American homes usually have built-in closets that are much bigger than our wardrobes! More like walk-in wardrobes. There's an example of a closet as a nursery here:

offbeatfamilies.com/2010/05/nursery-walk-in-closet

And then the closet turned into a toddler room (with gasp, mattress on the floor):

offbeatfamilies.com/2011/07/toddler-bed-floor-mattress

I personally don't have an issue with mattresses on the floor - toddlers can't fall off them like off a bed, and I know I prefer a really firm bed and find sleeping on the floor perfectly comfortable.

I believe KimC is only 40, so yeah, I expect a couple more blessings to come.

It is interesting that her oldest daughter Deanna (now married 5+ months) hasn't gotten pregnant yet--or at least KimC hasn't announced it. Good for you, Deanna!!!

I think these LIAS kids get a far superior education to what the Duggar spawn get.

American homes usually have built-in closets that are much bigger than our wardrobes! More like walk-in wardrobes. There's an example of a closet as a nursery here:

offbeatfamilies.com/2010/05/nursery-walk-in-closet

And then the closet turned into a toddler room (with gasp, mattress on the floor):

offbeatfamilies.com/2011/07/toddler-bed-floor-mattress

I personally don't have an issue with mattresses on the floor - toddlers can't fall off them like off a bed, and I know I prefer a really firm bed and find sleeping on the floor perfectly comfortable.

That's actually a good use of space and at least it has a window. Considering though the family we are discussing here had kids on shelves, when I saw the comment and who this woman was asking advice of,I was a tad, alarmed? :lol:

Don't know why after bathroom baby, nothing should shock.

Wasn't there one blogger who really did put her kids in a tiny closet? Like, not a big room closet like that one, but a regular small one?

There are always really elaborate closet-nurseries on Apartment Therapy, which caters to people living in small spaces, usually in NYC. In the comments section there is almost always a debate about the safety of it, the same things people posted here about Bathroom Baby, like the fire department wouldn't think to look in the closet. Also the lack of ventilation in most of them. We had a walk in closet when our first baby was born. He slept next to us in a pack-n-play and we had a Duggar-style family closet and kept his changing table in there as well.

Wasn't there one blogger who really did put her kids in a tiny closet? Like, not a big room closet like that one, but a regular small one?

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/04/organizing-home-principles-tips-for.html#more

*smile* Erica *smile* *chuckle*

Half way down the post. Master closet. Organised shirts and jumpers..OH and a baby :shock:

I was thinking of this woman:

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/08/behind-curtain-1.html

How many people put their kids in the closet?! That would never enter my mind as a place to stick my kid.

Yeah, a closet that's being used AS A CLOSET shouldn't also be used as a nursery at the same time :shock: Not all rooms in my house have windows eg our downstairs loo, my ensuite in my uni halls, but I'm not sleeping in them. Certainly bedrooms should have windows.

I was thinking of this woman:

aspiringtosimplicity.blogspot.com/2010/08/behind-curtain-1.html

How many people put their kids in the closet?! That would never enter my mind as a place to stick my kid.

:shock: It's quite a clever idea, but still. It's the stacking them that always looks so bad.

From the questions.

In the closet? :shock:

My last apartment had a walk-in closet that I used for a scrapbook room. It could easily have been a room for a baby or toddler to live in. Lots of walk-in closets are huge.

That baby closet bedroom looks pretty cute, it has a window, and actually looks like a bedroom. Unlike Erica's baby/clothes closet, which looks like a normal closet with cribs.

:shock: It's quite a clever idea, but still. It's the stacking them that always looks so bad.

It was pointed out to her when she came her to say how mean we are that when firefighters enter a burning house to find children, they automatically look for a room with a child's bed because that is where children will most likely be at. The way that room is set up it would be impossible to tell that children slept there so they would move on to the next room and by the time they realized there was no traditional child's room and started going through closets it could be too late.

It was pointed out to her when she came her to say how mean we are that when firefighters enter a burning house to find children, they automatically look for a room with a child's bed because that is where children will most likely be at. The way that room is set up it would be impossible to tell that children slept there so they would move on to the next room and by the time they realized there was no traditional child's room and started going through closets it could be too late.

Most FFers know to look in closets though don't they? They will basically break down any door they see for that reason.

It's incredibly common to put kids in the giant walk in closets and full bedrooms that are only accessible through doors in other bedrooms are also common in the old houses in my area.

Any decent firefighter shouldn't assume and should check all doors.

I agree, Widget. I know they always teach the kids in fire safety books to not hide from firefighters under the bed or in closets. I'm assuming since they warn kids not to hide there, it is obviously a problem, so one could assume that would be a common place firefighters would look for kids?

Most FFers know to look in closets though don't they? They will basically break down any door they see for that reason.

It's incredibly common to put kids in the giant walk in closets and full bedrooms that are only accessible through doors in other bedrooms are also common in the old houses in my area.

Any decent firefighter shouldn't assume and should check all doors.

I think the point was that they would check closets in a kid's room first then the rest of the closets and rooms. If a child is sleeping at night they would most likely hide in the closet in their room, so go look there first. Except in the case of that room it does not look like a room a child would be sleeping in. That was a regular room with a regular closet and no bed or anything to show that a child might sleep there.

I agree, Widget. I know they always teach the kids in fire safety books to not hide from firefighters under the bed or in closets. I'm assuming since they warn kids not to hide there, it is obviously a problem, so one could assume that would be a common place firefighters would look for kids?

I doubt the firefighter is being a hard-ass and saying, "well, children sleeping in closets is a code violation; I think I'll omit checking in there, despite a baby's plaintive cry coming from behind the closet door." I would think the age-old firefighter/closet warning is more of a "firefighters will check bedrooms first if time is of the essence" kind of thing.

ETA: cross-posted with FormerGothardite.

Also I think the problem is there is only one point of egress. If there is a fire in the bedroom and no window in the closet (cause MOST closets don't have windows) there is no way to get out.

Also I think the problem is there is only one point of egress. If there is a fire in the bedroom and no window in the closet (cause MOST closets don't have windows) there is no way to get out.

QFT

I agree a windowless closet as a bedroom is a stupid idea, but it's not uncommon and kids aren't dying left and right from it. Firefighters know people do this, and do consider it.

If I were converting a walk-in to a bedroom I'd spend the $500 to add an egress window, but I'm not a fundie who is just thinking "how many kids can I potentially cram in here as cheaply as possible"

Those one kids didn't even have a walk-in closet. It was just a regular closet with three levels of bunk beds built into it.

Those one kids didn't even have a walk-in closet. It was just a regular closet with three levels of bunk beds built into it.

Whoa I missed that one.

They would literally have to roll the top kid into bed because there's only about 18 inches clearance! :shock:

There are always really elaborate closet-nurseries on Apartment Therapy, which caters to people living in small spaces, usually in NYC. In the comments section there is almost always a debate about the safety of it, the same things people posted here about Bathroom Baby, like the fire department wouldn't think to look in the closet. Also the lack of ventilation in most of them. We had a walk in closet when our first baby was born. He slept next to us in a pack-n-play and we had a Duggar-style family closet and kept his changing table in there as well.

I would never keep my baby in the closet, but the changing table idea is quite a good one that I might have to use. There might be enough room in our master bathroom, though (for the table, not the baby-I'm not ThatBitch!); we'll have to see what the logistics are when it gets a bit closer to that time.

"American homes usually have built-in closets that are much bigger than our wardrobes! More like walk-in wardrobes"

Sorry, this made me laugh...Don't think I've ever lived in one of these homes...

And I would think that perhaps a helpful indication that a kid was sleeping in a closet would be of help to a fire fighter. Surely kids aren't told to NOT go in the closet because the firefighter will definitely check there? And If you had already taken 6 kids and 2 adults out, would the average firefighter assume (and have time to think about it) that there were 4 more kids in the closet? I assume they tell kids to not hide because firefighters might not have time to check every room in the house.

I'm sure there are kinds of fundie issues involved in not buying pullups for the bedwetter.

Perry probably really enjoys shaming the child, and you can't do that if the child is wearing a pull up.

Also, they are incredibly, stupidly, cheap.

Archived