IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

Some call this pulled beef. It is VERY GOOD!

5-6 lb boneless rump roast

1 cup water

2 beef bouillon cubes

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 (1.25 oz size) dry onion soup mix

1 Tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cook meat in a covered roaster with all ingredients (soup mix, sugar, cinnamon sprinkled on top. Cook 3 to 4 hours til tender. Remove meat from pan, cool, then slice. Return to juice and cook another hour. Serve with hamburger buns.

Courtesy of the real chef in my house, my 10y/o. You'll never eat yellow shit out of a box again once you try this!

Macaroni and Cheese: the Remix

1 1-lb box cellentani pasta (the spiral macaroni)

1 pint heavy cream

1 pint whole/full cream milk

2 teaspoons all purpose flour

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste, we eat it medium spicy, so if you're not used to spicy food, maybe cut it back)

1/2 teaspoon salt

black pepper to taste

2 cups fresh Fontina cheese

1 - 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese

1/2 cup mild or sharp orange Cheddar cheese

While pasta is cooking as normal, preheat oven to 450F and lightly grease to cover a 13x9 pan with butter. Remove and drain pasta one minute before package instructions.

Keep two separate bowls for the cheeses, one for the topping, and one to go in the pasta mixture. For the pasta mixture bowl grate: 1 cup Fontina, 1 cup Monterey Jack, 1/4 cup Parmesan and just a bit of the Cheddar. Set aside the remaining cheese for topping.

Combine in a large bowl or pot the heavy cream, whole milk, flour (whisk quickly), cayenne, salt and pepper. Then add in the cheeses for the pasta mixture, and stir until well mixed and coated. When the pasta is done and drained, add it in to the large bowl/pot and lay out in pan, and make sure the cheese and noodles are relatively evenly distributed and there are no large holes in the middle of the pan. Sprinkle topping cheeses over top of this, and don't be afraid to use more than the recipe calls for, as it varies each time. The topping should cover the noodles but not to the point of being a massive, thick layer.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, and then turn your oven's broiler on for the last couple minutes or use a kitchen torch, to allow and nice brown crust to develop on top.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

Be careful what you wish for, we once got stuck making 100 of these.

Select 20-25 unscarred jalapenos of medium size and a package of latex gloves. Buy a small sweet yellow (vidalia or similar) onion, a packet of ranch dressing mix, an 8 oz package of cream cheese, a 1 lb package of thin-sliced bacon, a box of toothpicks, and a bottle of thai sweet chili sauce.

First, take out the cream cheese and unbox it.

Second, cut the top off the jalapenos and clean (most efficiently done by slitting one side and cleaning out the seeds/membrane by gloved hand). Blanch in boiling water, 90s. Leave to dry on a rack over towels (to suck away the moisture).

Finely dice onion, if too juicy leave to drain.

When onion is reasonably dry, mix it with the softened cream cheese and the ranch powder. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to soften further, if necessary. Stuff peppers. Wrap bacon slices around peppers and pin in place with toothpicks, place on rack above parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes. Drizzle thai sweet chili sauce onto each bacon. Cook until bacon is done. Remove toothpicks. Don't eat too quickly or you'll burn the heck out of your mouth.

Repeat as necessary until time ends.

Obviously these will kill you.

This is SOOOOO good. And vegetarian! Not sure if it can be made vegan. Anyway, this is from my sister's kitchen; and it's addictive.

------------------------------

Louella's Scalloped Corn

1 can whole kernel corn

1 can cream style corn

1 box cornbread mix (Louella uses Jiffy)

1 stick margarine or butter

8 oz. sour cream

2 eggs

2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese

Beat eggs with a fork.

Melt margarine or butter and let it cool.

Add margarine or butter to the eggs.

Add remaining ingredients except for 1 cup of cheese and mix well.

Pour ingredients into 2 qt. casserole dish.

Bake at 350 degrees until it starts to turn golden brown (about 40-45 minutes).

Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and bake about 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.

Four words...

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

If you haven't visited St. Louis, you've probably never had this sinfully delicious coffee cake. This is a pumpkin variation, but you can switch it up and do chocolate, butter scotch, red velvet, etc

Amazingly easy to make. I'm having a hard time typing tonight (stupid joints...) so I will post a link to Ms. Paula Deen's version.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html

Jewish Apple Cake

I have to make this cake several times a year; my husband's birthday, the first apple harvest, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year's, whenever someone requests it. It's super delicious and I highly recommend trying it.

vo4xf6.jpg

10 whole (up To 12) Apples Of Various Types, Peeled, Cored, And Sliced Thinly

¼ cups Sugar

3 Tablespoons Cinnamon

_____

FOR THE BATTER:

3 cups Flour

2-½ cups Sugar

3 teaspoons Baking Powder

½ teaspoons Salt

4 whole Eggs

1 cup Vegetable Oil

½ cups Orange Juice

2-½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. After peeling, coring, and slicing the apples, combine them in a bowl with sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. Combine batter ingredients and with a handheld mixer, blend well until smooth.

4. In a greased tube pan (angel food cake pan), spread a thin layer of batter on the bottom. Use as little as possible, but make sure the bottom of the pan is completely covered with about 1/4 inch of batter.

5. Cover batter with 1/3 of the apples.

6. Repeat until you have 3 layers of batter and 3 layers of apples, ending with apples on the top. The layering is time consuming, but is well worth it. When layering batter on top of apples, add small dabs around the pan and carefully spread out. Use more apples than you think you’ll need. You SHOULD NOT have any apples left over when you finish.

7. Bake for 90 minutes to 2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.

8. Allow to cool on a rack until pan is cool to the touch. Use a knife or metal spatula to loosen cake from the sides, and invert onto a plate. Turn cake over again, so apples are on top to serve.

I'm submitting these to the cookbook committee at my kids' school, but you can have a preview:

The easy, quick and kosher Mexican Fiesta

Salsa starter

1 cube frozen chili pepper or 2 tsp chopped jalepeno

1 cube frozen garlic or fresh garlic clove

2 green onions, chopped

2 Campari tomatoes, quartered

1 big handful of cilantro, rinsed well

Put all ingredients in food processor, process for 20 sec.

Guacamole

2 ripe Haas avocados

2 Tbsp Salsa Starter, from recipe above

1 tsp lime juice

Cut avocados in half, scoop out flesh, and combine with the other ingredients.

Salsa

3 Tbsp Salsa Starter

6 Campari tomatoes, seeded and chopped

Combine ingredients

Black bean dip

1 can black beans, rinsed well

1 cube frozen garlic or fresh garlic clove

1 tsp cumin

5 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated with boiling water and coarsely chopped

1/2 cube frozen chili pepper or 1/4 tsp cayenne

small handful of fresh cilantro, rinsed well

1 Tbsp lemon juice

2 Tbsp water

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients in food processor, process until smooth.

Spicy garlic pan-fried fish

1 lb cod or sole fillets (defrosted in refrigerator for 24 hours if using frozen)

1 cube frozen garlic

1/2 cube frozen chili pepper

2 Tbsp canola oil

Heat oil in large fry pan. Add chili pepper, and mix it around. Add fillets. Add garlic cube, moving it around on top of each fillet. Cook 2 min for sole, and 5 min. for cod. Turn fillets over. Cook an additional 1 min. for sole, 3 min. for cod.

Fish tacos

Hard or soft taco shells

Spicy garlic pan-fried fish

Guacamole

Salsa

Black Bean Dip

shredded lettuce

Take a taco shell. Add 1 Tbsp of black bean dip. Add 1 Tbsp of guacamole. Add some shredded lettuce. Add a layer of fish. Add 2 Tbsp of salsa. If using a soft shell, wrap it all up.

You can always adjust the spice level to your preference - we happen to like things fairly spicy. I love doing fish this way, because it is insanely quick and easy and really good, with less fuss and less calories than breading it.

Frozen garlic and frozen chili pepper is sold under the brand name Toppits in Canada, and Dorot in the US.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread from "The Bread Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

The recipe assumes you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, but it can be made by hand as well. If you don't have cake flour, use 1 cup plus one tablespoon of flour mixed with 3 tablespoons of cornstarch.

3 ½ tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

3 tbsp boiling water

½ tbsp vanilla extract

3 large eggs

1 ¼ cups cake flour

¾ C + 2 tbsp sugar

¾ tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

13 tbsp (1 ½ sticks plus 1 tbsp) butter

3 tbsp mini chocolate chips (or ¼ C of regular chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together cocoa and water to make chocolate paste; allow to cool, then add vanilla and eggs. In mixer, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix on speed 2 for 30 seconds. Add butter and half of chocolate paste. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to 4 and beat for 1 minute. Scrape down bowl. Add remaining chocolate paste in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down bowl and add chocolate chips.

Grease 8 ½-4 ½ loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment and grease the parchment. Add batter to prepared pan and smooth the surface to ensure even baking. Bake 50-60 minutes, tenting with buttered foil after 25 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Bread is done when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 minutes on a rack, then remove from pan and return bread to rack to finish cooling.

For best results, let cool completely, then wrap in a tea towel then plastic wrap and store overnight. Slice as needed to preserve freshness and change the towel daily to prevent mold. This is awesome toasted and served with whipped cream.

edited to add another quick bread recipe :)

Cranberry-Orange Nut Bread from "King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion"

2 C all purpose flour (or 1 c white, 1 c white whole wheat)

¾ C sugar

1 ½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

pinch of salt

zest and juice of 1 orange

¾ C buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt

1 large egg

3 tbsp vegetable oil

1 C cranberries: fresh, frozen or dried, roughly chopped

½ C chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x5" bread pan. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix orange juice and zest, buttermilk, vegetable oil and the egg in another bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. Bake in prepared pan for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 minutes in the pan on a rack, then remove bread from pan and return to rack.

For best results, let cool completely, then wrap in a tea towel then plastic wrap and store overnight. Slice as needed to preserve freshness and change the towel daily to prevent mold. This bread is yummy for breakfast--especially toasted and buttered.

I'm quite heavily pregnant (currently a day past my due date), and while I really enjoy cooking, I often find that I'm too tired to do anything complicated, plus standing in the kitchen too long makes my lower back ache something fierce. So for the past few weeks, I've been making this pretty regularly:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicke ... port_wine/

It's the simplest dinner recipe in my regular rotation, but it's absolutely delicious. I also like it because while it's great as-is, it's also a good springboard recipe and I've been playing around with it a bit.

Jewish Apple Cake

I have to make this cake several times a year; my husband's birthday, the first apple harvest, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year's, whenever someone requests it. It's super delicious and I highly recommend trying it.

Thanks for posting this recipe! I used to make this when I was a teenager, but I lost the recipe. So glad you posted this!

Got an easy one for the holidays -- put some walnuts in a pan with rum, brown sugar, and a few drops of apple cider vinegar. Sweet, tangy, caramelly, and crunchy.

teddybear: I made your meatball and sauce recipe last night. It was a big hit and living in Jersey, we take our meatballs and gravy very seriously!

Pork Souvlaki

1zz495l.jpg

1 red onion minced

2 cloves garlic minced

2 tsp dried oregano

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

juice of 2 lemons

1/2 cup olive oil

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1.5 lbs pork tenderloin, cubed

Mix together marinade ingredients and combine with pork. Marinate in fridge overnight.

About an hour before grilling, make Greek Salad:

1 red onion, thinly sliced

6 Roma tomatoes, quartered

1 hothouse cucumber, diced

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp dried dill

Skewer pork cubes on soaked skewers and grill 5-6 minutes per side (10-12 minutes total).

To serve:

Warm a pita in a pan over medium high heat to soften (I sprinkle them with a little water first). Layer pork, salad, tzatziki sauce, and feta (I do some kalamata olives and hot sauce on mine, too). Wrap in foil and twist the bottom to keep everything in.

teddybear: I made your meatball and sauce recipe last night. It was a big hit and living in Jersey, we take our meatballs and gravy very seriously!

I'm happy it turned out to be something you like. I think it is a good recipe too. I love those meatballs.

Guest Anonymous

Sloe Gin

1 Drive or walk around country lanes just after the first frosts set in and pick 1lb of sloes for every 75cl of gin that you wish to infuse.

2 Pick over the sloes, discarding any leaves, stems and hard or bruised fruit. Wash and pat dry. Take a thorn from the Blackthorn bush (or a skewer or darning needle) and prick every berry 6-8 times.

3 Take a litre bottle of gin and drink 1/4 of the bottle. ;)

4 Tip the sloes into a 2 pint kilner jar and pour over 4oz granulated sugar. Top up the jar with the gin and seal the lid. Invert the jar a few times to start to mix the sugar into the liquid. Place the jar into a cool dark cupboard.

5 Open the cupboard every day for a week and invert the jar to continue dissolving the sugar into the liquid. Admire the gradually darkening liquor and dream of sipping a glass on cold winter nights.

6 Continue to invert the jar once or twice a week, for at least 2 months, preferably 6. Taste after 2 months and add 1-2 oz more sugar if you really need it. Wait at least a further 2 weeks after adding more sugar before bottling.

7 When you can bear the suspense no longer, and no later than 8 months from the start date, strain the rich red liquor through a muslin bag and bottle. Best drunk at least 1 year after the start date, but will probably be irresistable once it has been bottled.

8 The gin-infused sloes will be good for one more cycle - either repeat the above process by adding more gin and sugar, and expect a paler but still delicious second brew. Or add a bottle of sweet/dry sherry (to your taste) and infuse for 1-2 months to create Schlerry. Or move the sloes to a glass demijohn, add a large bottle of still cider and an airlock, and wait for 2 weeks to create a dangerously alcoholic Slider - be aware that the yeast in the cider will create a fermentation process - the airlock is essential to prevent an explosion, and the resulting Slider will render you unfit to drive, work, or do very much at all except enjoy a drunken haze for a while after consumption..... :D

Almond Cracker Treats

I had dinner at a friend's last week and she had these out for nibbles. They are incredibly tasty, sweet, salty buttery and crisp all at once. They are also very easy to make.

48 Keebler Townhouse Crackers

1 1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup white sugar or turbinado sugar

Arrange the crackers on a baking sheet with them touching one another. Sprinkle the almonds evenly on top of the crackers. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sugar. Bring to a boil and then pour over the crackers. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then break apart. And as always, enjoy!

Yes teddybear, I've been remiss. Are you recovering okay?

Here is my recipe for turkey stock (in case anyone had turkey today). Adapted from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions book (before I knew it was favored by fundie cult-members). The book came from the library; I didn't buy it.

Ingredients

•Carcass and bones of 1-2 turkeys (Sally’s recipe for chicken stock calls for “2-3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wingsâ€)

•Feet from the turkeys (I don’t do this obviously—don’t live on a farm)

•4 quarts cold filtered water (I just filled my pot enough to cover the carcasses)

•1 large onion, coarsely chopped

•2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped

•3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped (If all you have are some limp stalks and the bulb at the end like me, that works fine!)

•Several sprigs fresh thyme

•1 bunch parsley

Instructions

Cut (chicken or turkey) parts into several pieces to fit in the stock pot.

Then, add the vegetables, plus the thyme (but not the parsley), and bring it to a boil. There will likely be some scum that rises to the top, so keep skimming that off for a while until it stops forming.

Reduce the heat, cover, and let it simmer for as long as you can! I do it for 24-30 hours, which is supposed to be good, but I’ve heard of people simmering their stock for a couple days even.

About 10 minutes before you’re done simmering the stock, add in the parsley. But, if you forget, it’s not absolutely essential.

When you’re done, strain the broth through a sieve or colander into a large glass container or bowl. Refrigerate until the layer of fat on the top congeals and skim it off. I give my dog Shawnee the leftover pieces of meat and fat that have been skimmed off. This has a much stronger flavor than chicken.

I cobbled together a main dish tonight that my TSU actually pronounced "good."

Brown the sides of a pork tenderloin chop or pork chop in a little sesame oil.

Transfer the meat to a lightly greased baking dish; sprinkle fresh dried thyme, chopped fresh garlic on top, add a pat or two of butter, and bake at 350 til outside begins to look brown.

Top with a sliced green pepper, add broth to about halfway up the meat, and if you want, put a little more butter (to help brown the meat). You can also add more thyme and garlic if you want a bolder spice.

Return to oven and cook to the usual internal temperature. Let it sit for a few minutes outside the oven, then slice it against the grain, drizzle the juices from the baking dish over it, top with the green peppers.

I served it with a baked potato.

I'm so glad this thread is here!!!!

http://mamasfixins.blogspotDOTcom/

I don't have recipes of my own to share because I'm totally useless in the kitchen. But, I do want to do a PSA about Tracy (Autumn's mom) and her cooking blog: AWESOME!!!

I've made the gingersnaps, beef stew, taco grande, sausage & wild rice casserole (this is so good I make it 2x a month, at least), blueberry scones, and countless others.

Not only can *I*, a freak who can't make rice krispie treats, follow these recipes, but the food actually turns out wonderfully!!! And you don't need oddball ingredients like 1/16 of a teaspoon of organic, freshly cut cilantro (you know, where you have to spend $5 to get a tiny amount of an ingredient that will end up going bad before you use it again). Yeah, sometimes you use Cream of Mushroom soup but never in a TTC yucky way.

I have the sausage/wild rice in the oven. Yum!!

Not only can *I*, a freak who can't make rice krispie treats,

Do we know each other IRL? My friend can't make rice krispie treats, and no one else can make them turn out well if she's in the kitchen. They always come out..."runny" and won't set up.

[starrieEyedKat wrote:]

Gizmola wrote:

Not only can *I*, a freak who can't make rice krispie treats,

Do we know each other IRL? My friend can't make rice krispie treats, and no one else can make them turn out well if she's in the kitchen. They always come out..."runny" and won't set up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.