1-1 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 cup chopped celery

1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms

1/2 cup chopped carrots

1/2 cup butter or oil

1/3 cup flour

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1- 1 1/2 cups milk or half and half

salt and pepper to taste (or some Mrs. Dash)

3- 3 1/2 cups grated cheddar, I prefer sharp

half of a 12 oz. bag of wide egg noodles

Heat a large pot of water until boiling. Add the noodles and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in large dutch oven, heat the butter or oil and add the onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms. Saute until lightly browned and tender. Sprinkle the flour on top of the cooked vegetables and stir well. Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the chicken broth, stirring until thickened and smooth. Stir in the milk, starting with about 1 cup and cook until it is like a thick gravy, adding more milk to get the right consistency. Stir in one cup of the grated cheddar cheese and stir until incorporated into the sauce. Add the chicken, the noodles and season to taste. Spoon into a nice baking dish and cover with the remaining grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees about 30-45 minutes. It should be bubbling and the cheese melted. If you like, you can brown it just a little bit. Cool slightly before serving.

Options: replace the chicken with about 2 cups drained chunk light tuna. Everything else is the same.

If you want to make a vegetarian casserole, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth. Then stir in a couple cups lightly cooked vegetables to your taste.

SWEET POTATO AND MARSHMALLOW BALLS

1. Mash a large can of sweet potatoes or 4 cooked and smashed yams.

2. Add 1 cup of brown sugar.

3. Melt 1/4 cup of butter and add to mixture.

4. Take a small amount of sweet potato mixture; depending on desired size; wrap it around a large marshmallow completely covering marshmallow. Roll the sweet potato ball in crushed ginger snaps. Bake in lightly buttered pan at 375 degrees until heated thoroughly.

We like to roll it and leave just a touch of the marshmallow showing. They are so good and the kids actually eat their vegetables!

teddybear, I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your blog. I've made several of your recipes and they all came out really well. My family thanks you.

On your smothered steak recipe, do you think I could make that in a crockpot if I braised the meat first? I know. . . crock pot. . . but both the AustinDude and I are back to work full-time and I just need to use it some days.

I'm so sorry, Austin, I just saw this post. As for the smothered steak recipe. Yes, it can easily be done in a crockpot. I would flour and brown the meat first, then place in the crockpot and would decrease the liquid to about 1- 1 1/2 cups. To make up for the loss of flavor and color you get from the oven baking, I'd also add a tablespoon of soy sauce. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes in the taste.

Oh and thanks, I'm so happy you are enjoying the blog! I'm happy when people use my reciepes and find them good. I hope you will make some comments too. Don

I mentioned on another blog that I made this quite often. So here's the recipe. Enjoy.

Ingredients

1/2 package bacon (6 or 7 slices)

1/2 onion, chopped--- a sweet onion is my favorite

32 ounces french style green beans (or other green beans) That's 2 bags of frozen ones.

2 T vinegar--- I like Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar

2 T sugar

salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Cut bacon into one inch segments. Place bacon and onions in skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned, stirring often. Remove to plate. Add beans to bacon grease and continue cooking over medium heat until they are to desired tenderness. Add vinegar and sugar. Stir. Add bacon and onions back and let simmer a few minutes, stirring often. Salt and pepper to taste.

It's really good. I love the bite the vinegar gives it and those beans just love the grease.

Dried Cherry Scones

These are a big favorite of my younger sister. Any time I want to give her a treat, I'll bake her a batch.

1 cup butter, cut into bits

3 cups flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 tsp. almond extract

1 6-oz. pkg. dried cherries

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter bits into the flour mixture until it is like coarse crumbs, trying to leave some pea sized lumps of butter if possible.. Stir in the dried cherries. Mix the almond extract together with the buttermilk and then pour into flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly together, until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Gather the dough into a ball and lightly knead 3-4 times. Pat into a circle about 1/2 inch thick. Either cut into 8 wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet or you can also cut the wedges into smaller pieces and place on the baking sheet. I usually roll it into a circle and then cut into squares or rectangles. If you like, you can brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar or just bake as is. Bake about 10-15 minutes, or until the tops are crusty and lightly browned. Cool slightly before removing from the baking sheet. If you like a glaze on your scones, beat together some powdered sugar and milk, with just a drop or two of almond extract, then spoon over the scones when they still slightly warm.

Easy Lemon Cookies

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix

2 large eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

REFRIGERATE DOUGH FOR 24 HOURS

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2.Pour cake mix into a large bowl.

3.Stir in eggs, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice until well blended.

4.Place in refrigerator for 24 hours.

5.Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into a bowl of confectioners' sugar.

6.Roll them around until they're lightly covered.

7.Once sugared, put them on an ungreased cookie sheet.

8.Flatten slightly with bottom of glass jar.

9.Bake for 6 to 9 minutes in the preheated oven.

10.The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy.

This is a recipe I discovered 30 years ago. My kids loved it. It is just enough for a small family.

SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS.

1 lb. very lean ground beef

1 8 oz tomato sauce

2 tablespoons jam or jelly, what ever you want. I used strawberry

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Salt and pepper ground beef, form into balls about 3/4 in. in diameter.

Put in pot. No browning needed.

Add tomato sauce, jam and lemon juice, simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is done, serve with noodles or rice.

Sausage and cherry tomato bake - my absolute basic standby for emergencies, adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe years ago.

2kg cherry tomatoes

12 thick sausages

Thyme, rosemary, bay, oregano, salt, pepper

4 cloves garlic (chopped)

12 shallots, chopped into chunks (or use 2 sliced red onions)

Decent splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (not too much vinegar)

Get a roasting tin, put everything in. Toss and mix. Arrange with the tomatoes squeezed into one layer at the bottom, sausages resting on top. In oven at 190°C/375°F for half an hour, then shake up and turn sausages, back in oven for 15 mins or so. Serve with a chunk of decent bread.

This is my mother's recipe. Feel free to add in any "extras" that you may like, for instance my brother loves this recipe with jalepeno peppers thrown in and some Pepper Jack cheese. Also, you can substitute the hamburger for turkey instead. I'm not really sure of the origin of this recipe, but it has been in my family for several decades.

German Sandwich Recipe

Rolls:

• 3 ½ to 4 cups flour

• 1 cup hot water

• 1 pkg. dry yeast **yeast should be dissolved in the lukewarm water.

• 2 tbsp lukewarm water

• 6 tbsp shortening

• ¼ cup sugar

• 1 egg beaten

Filling

• 2 lbs hamburger meat browned. `

• 1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix

• 1 container sour cream

• Sharp Cheddar cheese (shredded) ( You may substitute sharp cheddar with any type of cheese)

Directions

• Combine Roll Mix in large mixing bowl.

• Add yeast and lukewarm water, beaten egg, and flour.

• Form mix into small rolls.

• Flatten the dough with a rolling pin.

• Place meat filling in the middle of the flattened dough.

• Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the meat.

• Fold edges of dough inward, completely encasing the filling.

• Bake @ 375 degrees until edges are brown.

• 2 weeks later...

one 9-inch loaf

Be sure to use very ripe, heavily speckled (or even black) bananas in this recipe. This recipe can be made using 5 thawed frozen bananas; since they release a lot of liquid naturally, they can bypass the microwaving in step 2 and go directly into the fine-mesh strainer. Do not use a thawed frozen banana in step 4; it will be too soft to slice. Instead, simply sprinkle the top of the loaf with sugar. The test kitchen’s preferred loaf pan measures 8½ by 4½ inches; if you use a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, start checking for doneness five minutes earlier than advised in the recipe. The texture is best when the loaf is eaten fresh, but it can be stored (cool completely first), covered tightly with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

6 large very ripe bananas (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled (see note)

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly

2 large eggs

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts , toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2. Place 5 bananas in microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in plastic with paring knife. Microwave on high power until bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer bananas to fine-mesh strainer placed over medium bowl and allow to drain, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes (you should have ½ to ¾ cup liquid).

3. Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir reduced liquid into bananas, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

4. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in walnuts, if using. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Slice remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Shingle banana slices on top of either side of loaf, leaving 1½-inch-wide space down center to ensure even rise. Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over loaf.

5. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 75 minutes. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and continue to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

*****personal note. My bananas gave me quite a bit of juice, even after reducing. So I used 1/4 cup in the bread and added powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla to the rest to pour over the finished bread.

Pumpkin Cake

Box of spice cake mix

1 15 oz can of pumpkin

2 eggs

1/2 T pumpkin pie spice

1/2 cup toasted nuts

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

2.In a large bowl, mix together the spice cake mix, eggs, spice and canned pumpkin until well blended. Stir in nuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

3.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and serve, or store in the refrigerator. This tastes even better the next day.

What a bunch of talented foodies we have here at FJ. Not bad for a bunch of Godless heathens who are sending our country straight to hell! :lol:

Actually, I enjoyed reading the recipes, and I'm going to try quite a few.

Anybody like chai tea? Here is a recipe on how to make your very own chai tea mix.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2011 ... a-mix.html

So the snow here has me down, and thinking of warmer days and the grill Mr AJD and I found a REALLY easy grill recipe this summer that we couldn't resist, so if any other FJers are enjoying warmer weather, enjoy.

We just wrapped fresh asparagus with Prosciutto and cracked some pepper onto it. A little olive oil works if you need it, but it is soooo simple and delicious! You can totally make a (really unhealthy ;) ) meal out of it... mmmmmm...

Also, I wanted to second the love of the buffalo chicken dip, but we use Texas Pete's and love it!

Also, I was a total latch-key kid in my teen years and got really good at making easy foods... One of favorite way to make garlic "crackers" was to take a whole wheat pita, split, coat lightly with olive oil, then add fresh garlic, salt & pepper. 350 till they crisp up and they snap into DELICIOUS little snacks. I like to dip into my homemade "raita" (aka greek yogurt, onions & spices). A twist on this (if you like crispy crust pizza) is to add Feta and some olives or other veggies, or do a cold pizza and just schmear the raita on top when you take it out of the oven...

OK, done procrastinating - must. turn. off. cooking shows... Cannot wait until this semester ends and I can put some of these great FJ recipes to the test :D

Today I made this Choclate Pumpkin vegan loaf!

img3678ap.jpg

I got the recipe from there: http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/chocolate-pumpkin-loaf/

1/4 cup applesauce

2 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola oil)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water, divided (see note)

1 cup pumpkin puree

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease an 8 inch loaf pan. Also, boil some water in a tea kettle (no need to measure yet.)

Put applesauce, coconut oil and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, spices, baking soda and salt.

Measure out 1/3 cup boiling water and pour into the bowl with the chocolate mixture, mixing quickly to make a smooth chocolate sauce. Add pumpkin, sugar and vanilla and mix well.

Dump about half of the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and gently stir just to incorporate, then measure out 1 tablespoon of boiling water and stir again. Now add the rest of the flour mixture and another tablespoon of boiling water and stir just until smooth. Take care not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan. It will be good and thick. You can smooth the top out with a spatula.

Bake for 55 minutes to an hour. Stick a steak knife into the center of the loaf to check for doneness. A little bit of wetness is okay since it could be from a chocolate chip, but the knife should come out mostly dry.

Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert pan and place loaf on a cooling rack to cool most of the way. It’s yummy a little bit warm, or thoroughly cooled. Slice and serve!

I'm serving this as a desert after a meal of foie gras :P I hope my friends will like foie gras coz I don't really have anything else to serve :P

Guest Anonymous

Sophie, how did you like the chocolate pumpkin loaf? I think I might try it out, my house is cold so I need to go bake something!

Sophie, how did you like the chocolate pumpkin loaf? I think I might try it out, my house is cold so I need to go bake something!

Everyone loved it! I served foie gras too but was the only one to appreciate it! but the cake was a hit! It did not rise as well as on the blog picture though. I don't know if it's my pan (in silicone) or if I did something wrong!

Guest Anonymous

Sophie, I finally made the chocolate pumpkin loaf! Mine didn't rise nearly as much as the one in the picture at the PPK website either, but I think my loaf pan is a bigger size than the one that's suggested.

It tastes freaking delicious, though! I'm having a warm piece right now, and the bites with chocolate chips in are freaking heavenly. The oven warmed up the house and the spicy, chocolatey smell was great too.

ETA: My loaf pan is aluminum.

Mmmmmmm...... Pumpkin Bread..........

How about we all post our best quick ER sustenance recipes?

Tomato Basil Couscous

1 c. whole wheat or regular couscous

1 c. tomato or V8 juice

Fresh or dried basil

A little minced garlic if you like

Combine the above in a saucepan, bring to a boil, simmer 1 minute, turn off heat, slap on lid and after 5 minutes fluff with a fork and serve.

Sophie, I finally made the chocolate pumpkin loaf! Mine didn't rise nearly as much as the one in the picture at the PPK website either, but I think my loaf pan is a bigger size than the one that's suggested.

It tastes freaking delicious, though! I'm having a warm piece right now, and the bites with chocolate chips in are freaking heavenly. The oven warmed up the house and the spicy, chocolatey smell was great too.

ETA: My loaf pan is aluminum.

Lissar, I made the cake again mainly coz I did not know what to do with the left over pumpkin purée :P This time I added a half teaspoon of baking powder, and oh my what a difference! It totally doubled in size!!! I'm gonna leave a comment and ask her if she forgot it on the recipe :P

I'm looking for some recipes for Thanksgiving. I've got mashed potatoes taken care of already, and my mother always makes stuffing and sweet potatoes. I don't know what else to make though. I want to make some sort of side dish, preferably vegetarian. Any ideas??

We're doing green beans (although we put a bit of bacon or ham in with them while they simmer overnight) and I'm baking the greatest bread of all time, courtesy of a recipe clibbyjo gave me. If you're interested in baking some bread (that takes forever to rise, but is totally worth it), I can post the recipe.

I'm looking for some recipes for Thanksgiving. I've got mashed potatoes taken care of already, and my mother always makes stuffing and sweet potatoes. I don't know what else to make though. I want to make some sort of side dish, preferably vegetarian. Any ideas??

My MIL/husband make an asparagus & egg casserole thing - sound gross but is actually delicious. Their family also has a good recipe for a kind of au gratin thing but with small cubed, instead of au gratined, potatoes. Both are pretty Duggar-esque (and totally Thanksgiving approporiate)... if you're interested I'd be happy to share :)

Does anyone here have a good apple or apple-pear pie recipe? I've got loads of honeycrisps and pears that I need to get rid of :D

This is sooo easy its not really even a recipie, but so yummy I thought I'd post it anyway. I'm a potato freak and must eat them almost daily!

Easy flavorful Roasted Potatos

Just take enough potatos for how many people you're serving (4-5, I usually buy Idaho but you could use red or fingerling too)(I always make xtra because they make great home fries the next morning) and give them a rough chop/cube up with skins still on. Put 2 tablespoons oil onto a cookie sheet (I've tried Pam with this but they stick), then potatos on top, mix around to coat. Sprinkle liberally with dried onion flakes and mrs. Dash flavor of your choice (I use a vegtable and herb one). Mix herbs around in oil so all is coated well.

I roast them @ 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Really yummy, very easy, no salt whatsoever, and very little oil. :D

Roasted Brussels Sprouts? Trim and halve Brussels sprouts, drizzle with olive oil, and toss with salt and pepper. Pop in a 450* oven for 20 minutes, then flip and roast for 10-15 minutes more. Remove and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

I made creamed broccoli one year and it was a hit - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... san-351898 - it's vegetarian, but certainly not vegan.

I usually have a bowl of kale chips for people to munch on during appetizers, and a salad is always a welcomed starter. I usually go for either one of these: Roasted Pear and Blue Cheese Salad or Mixed Baby Greens with Onions and Oranges. The first salad would be vegetarian and the second vegan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.