IGNORED

The Great FJ Recipe Thread

Curious

Off topic, but I didn't realise St Lawrence was the patron saint of cooking - ouch, that is some irony right there :lol:

(St Lawrence was martyred via barbecueing, and no I am not Catholic but dictionaries of saints make good name finders for fiction writing :))

Off topic, but I didn't realise St Lawrence was the patron saint of cooking - ouch, that is some irony right there :lol:

(St Lawrence was martyred via barbecueing, and no I am not Catholic but dictionaries of saints make good name finders for fiction writing :))

I always thought that too. :lol: According to gruesome Catholic lore, he became the patron saint of cooking, after he cracked a joke during his martyrdom, about not being "well-done" yet. My church had a statue of him holding a grill in his hands. Either the church has a really, really dark sense of humour, or none at all. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Well, something worked, they look perfect! Will try to post a pic from my work computer tomorrow.:)

YAY!!!! :clap: I am so chuffed for you! :)

And yes, pics please!

I made this today: thriftystories.com/2012/03/f-a-d-chicken-crockpot/

First time using a crock pot, it's good! I used diced tomato with jalapeños from TJ's, and held the corn because I don't really like corn. I also only used 9 oz of chicken, and half a can of beans...

Served over rice with sauteed zuchini and garlic!

Sweet berad--

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

2/3 cup white sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 cups wheat flour

4cups white flour

Directions

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

Mushroom Onion Matzo Kugel!

I found this on food.com a few years back.

Ingredients:

10 matzo crackers

2.5 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)

1 cup hot water

cooking oil or cooking spray

3 cups diced onions

2/3 cup grated carrots

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp garlic powder

fresh ground pepper

3 garlic cloves , minced

1 lb baby portabello mushrooms or 1 lb cremini mushroom

2 T chopped fresh parsley

4 eggs , beaten

Instructions:

Heat oven to 350°F

Place matzo on a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes until lightly toasted

Crush matzo into small pieces and put in a large bowl.

Cover with stock and water.

Heat oil or cooking spray in a skillet.

Add onions and cook 5 minutes.

Add carrots and next 6 ingredients, cover and cook 5 minutes until softened.

Add to matzo mixture.

Add parsley and eggs, stir well.

Spray a deep dish pie plate with cooking spray, bake covered for 20 minutes.

Uncover and cook for 20 minutes more.

I was just thinking about this recipe since the weather is getting warmer again... tomato pie!

1 pie crust (if you get the kind in the foil pan, there is no clean up! Win-win all around.)

3-4 large slicing tomatoes - get the best quality you can find. You want heirloom style.

3/4 cup sour cream (you can use any type for this that you like)

1/4 cup mayo

2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped

1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack

ground pepper

Slice and salt your tomatoes, and let them sit on paper towels for 10 or so minutes to get the water out. Heat your oven to 375 and pre-bake your crust for 5-7 minutes, before it gets golden brown. Pull it out, and mix the mayo, sour cream, ground pepper and fresh basil. Put two layers of tomato slices into the pie crust. Pour over the sour cream mix and add more tomatoes (you should have enough for 2-3 more layers). Top with the shredded cheese and put the pie back in the oven. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until your cheese is bubbly, crust is browned and you're dying to eat it!

I hate tomatoes and I crave this pie year round. A good old southern favorite :D

This is currently in my oven.....I cannot wait to try it!

Hommous

Ingredients

Two 15- or 16-oz. cans of garbanzo beans (sometimes labeled as "chickpeas" or "ceci beans")

One-third cup (perhaps more) of tehina

One-third cup of lemon juice

Six small/medium cloves of garlic

One teaspoon of salt

Optional: Olive oil and spices for serving

Directions

1. Drain the chickpeas and rinse them thoroughly several times, until the water you are rinsing them in runs clear. Place the chickpeas (and perhaps a few spoonfuls of water), as well as garlic and salt, into a food processor. (I use one from the 1970s!) Process these ingredients for three to five minutes.

2. Mix the tehina thoroughly to make sure it's of an even consistency, and add it and the lemon juice to the mixture. Process it all again for three minutes.

3. Taste and make any adjustments accordingly.

4. Keep the hommous refrigerated when not in use, but it is best not to serve it very cold. Let it sit for half an hour before serving, I say. Make a well or "moat" in the hommous and pour olive oil into it and garnish with spices. Good ones are paprika, oregano, za'atar, and hot pepper mix.

Here's how mine looks when I'm finished:

[attachment=0]7ommous.jpg[/attachment]

Pizza:

1. Finish the statewide tests. Go Ana!

2. Find that all the dishes are dirty and the toilet is terribly clogged and nobody can find the plunger

3. Slice your finger badly, making it (among other things) hard to wash dishes because of the band-aids and all.

4. Give up and order a pizza, and also some zeppoles.

Pizza:

1. Finish the statewide tests. Go Ana!

2. Find that all the dishes are dirty and the toilet is terribly clogged and nobody can find the plunger

3. Slice your finger badly, making it (among other things) hard to wash dishes because of the band-aids and all.

4. Give up and order a pizza, and also some zeppoles.

are you kidding I made leek pizza the other day it was sooo good! No recipe, just sauteed the leeks with some onion, made the dough, added sauce (tomato concentrate + a little water + basil) and fresh mozza on top yummy!

If the reference to the clogged toilet didn't clue you in that it's not a real recipe I just don't know what to say.

(Sadly, the toilet genuinely WAS clogged and none of us could find the plunger. I had to buy a new one. I think I had very good reasons for throwing in the towel on dinner. It was order out or give everybody peanut butter and jelly.)

If the reference to the clogged toilet didn't clue you in that it's not a real recipe I just don't know what to say.

(Sadly, the toilet genuinely WAS clogged and none of us could find the plunger. I had to buy a new one. I think I had very good reasons for throwing in the towel on dinner. It was order out or give everybody peanut butter and jelly.)

I was just commenting on how easy it is to make one. Sorry I saw several friends on FB passing stuff like that to tout how really there was no point in making pizza or anything when you could order in :P

sorry for your toilet!

Pizza IS easy to make, and fun too! But not without any dishes, and while we like to term my own blood "the secret ingredient" (klutziness and knives don't mix as well as one might hope) there was quite a lot of it :lol:

Pizza IS easy to make, and fun too! But not without any dishes, and while we like to term my own blood "the secret ingredient" (klutziness and knives don't mix as well as one might hope) there was quite a lot of it :lol:

well when you can't afford tomato sauce (looking at KimC lol)

I have GOT to share this recipe with everyone:

Strawberry Crumble Cake, found at this link: http://alchemybaking.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -cake.html

Ingredients

Fruit

3 lbs fresh strawberries, (approx. 8 cups or 1 1/2 kilos) hulled and halved (I bought an extra pound. My future MIL and I were eating strawberries as fast as I chucked them into the bowl!)

1/2 cup (100 g,) sugar

1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 Tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons of water

1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out, or substitute 2 or 3 tsp. of vanilla extract

For Crumb Topping

1/2 cup (75 g.) lightly packed light brown sugar *note- if you don't have brown sugar either make your own by mixing some white sugar with a little molasses, or you can substitute white sugar, although the flavor of the topping will be better with brown.

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (60 g,) flour

Pinch of salt

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

For Cake

2 1/4 (225 g.) cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 stick (1/2 cup) (8 Tablespoons) (113 g.) unsalted butter, softened

1 1/4 cups (250 g.) sugar

3 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup (6 oz.) (177 ml) buttermilk *note- if you don't keep buttermilk in the house just use some soured milk by taking regular milk and adding a Tablespoon or 2 of lemon juice or vinegar and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit, 180 degrees Celsius, or Gas Mark 4.

In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch slurry and vanilla seeds or vanilla extract, and let stand until the berries release some of their juices, about 30 minutes. Pour the fruit filling into a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish set on a sturdy baking sheet.

Make the crumb topping. Place all crumb topping ingredients in a medium bowl, use a fork to mash all ingredients together until the butter has mashed up with the other ingredients enough where pea sized pieces of crumb topping appear. Set aside.

Make the cake batter. Using a hand held electric mixer, or use a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the vanilla and mix again. Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder in another large bowl and whisk well. Scrape down the bowl and add the dry ingredients to the batter in 3 additions alternating with the buttermilk or soured milk, if using.

Spoon the batter over the fruit, smoothing the battter to the edges. Sprinkle with the crumb topping. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling, the crumb topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly. Serve the crumb cake warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.

My only thing is this: Make sure you use a 13 by 9 pan. I used a 12 inch spring form pan. While I got it all to fit in the pan, the crumb mixture and cake were really, really thick. But oh my god, this was amazing, served warm, with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. <3 It's heavenly!

1 onion

1 lb smoked sauge

1 small/ medium head of cabbage

3 -4 medium potato

Dice the onion, slice the sauge d brown them in a sauce pan in a few tablespoons of butter. Once brown set aside and shread your head of lettuce and place in your pot. add a pinch of salt and about a 1/4 cup of water, stir and place a lid on the pot and simmer till cabbage is almost tender. Slice your fav potato into thin slieces and add them to the pot aand steam till tender. add salt and pepper to taste.

Maple Pecan Scones

3/4 cup buttermilk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

3 tbsp. real maple syrup

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1 tbsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

12 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix together the buttermilk, vanilla and maple syrup. In another large mixing bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into the dry mixture until it is well blended. You can leave a few small lumps of butter. Stir in the buttermilk mixture and pecans then mix lightly with a fork until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Form into a ball, place on a floured tabletop and knead quickly 3-4 times. Roll out into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick and cut into strips, then the strips into rectangles about 1x2 inches (or any size and shape you wish). Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart and then bake in the preheated oven, about 10 minutes or until well risen and brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before removing to a rack to finish cooling. When cool make a glaze with maple syrup and powdered sugar, just thick enough to drizzle easily off a spoon, but not too thin or it will all run off. Drizzle the scones with the glaze and then allow them to sit until the glaze has dried/firmed up. Eat and enjoy!

Creamy Rice Pudding

Creamy Rice Pudding

3/4 cup uncooked white rice

2 cups milk, divided

1/3 cup white sugar (for a caramel like flavor, use dark brown sugar in place of the white)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg, beaten

2/3 cup golden raisins (optional, I leave them out)

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg, and raisins; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. You can add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg for a bit of different flavor. Eat warm or chilled.

If you like a maple flavor, add 1/4 cup pure maple syrup when you add the sugar and be sure to

use a dark brown sugar for this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.