IGNORED

Ahhh It's confirmed...Anna Duggar pregnant!!

Whit88

I think the hate glares were nothing more than disdain that Anna showed pain, whereas she sat and prayed and went to the hospital and got pain relief and had easy births.

Not that pain relief is bad, I freaking loved my epidural, lol. Just that Anna is, you know, giving birth and showing pain instead of smiling sweetly and praising Jesus.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the hate glares were nothing more than disdain that Anna showed pain, whereas she sat and prayed and went to the hospital and got pain relief and had easy births.

Not that pain relief is bad, I freaking loved my epidural, lol. Just that Anna is, you know, giving birth and showing pain instead of smiling sweetly and praising Jesus.

This reminds me of one of the early specials where Michelle kept yelping, "Praise Jesus! Praise Jesus!" in the last moments of labor (maybe with Johannah or Jennifer? They were the only two recent kids who weren't born via c-section.). Anyway, I remember watching that, laughing, and thinking I wouldn't be praising ANY man at that particular point in time.

Are you kiddin? After embracing the cliche and begging anybody who could hear me to just "take it out", I praised God & Jesus after giving birth naturally after a nightmare delivery that most definitely included an epidural in the birth plan :lol: I aint even religious anymore, but it just popped out & my DH was crying so neither of us was ourselves.

I think women naturally have a variety of ways of dealing with labor pain. I think it is valuable to show the whole range - from the quiet breathers, to the praisers, to the screamers and threateners and criers . I know one woman who spent the whole time saying "i'm sorry ! i'm sorry" - her poor husband was getting death glares from all the medical staff - he wasn't abusive at all and after the birth she had no idea why she was saying that !

I think she might actually be over the whole baby thing. Not because she's over babies, of course, but I think she finally realizes what a dangerous thing it it is to keep having them. The episode where they announced Jubilee, and she was talking to the camera about the criticism that she knew they would get, she didn't seem excited so much as resigned. And even a little scared. I think that almost losing her own life with Josie may have shaken her a bit.

Of course she can never "stop", because her ideology won't allow it. But I think she could definitely be content to not have to do it anymore. I certainly don't think she'd be willing to do IVF, both because it's dangerous and she couldn't implant all the embryos, leaving "orphan" babies.

I don't agree. Have you seen all the interviews with JB yukking it up with all the "we're having fun trying for more babies" line? They have clearly stated they are trying to conceive, not just "we're open to pregnancy".

I am not surprised she claims she is fine with no more pregnancies. What is she supposed to say, "I really don't give a shit about these kids I have, I just like being pregnant and having a tiny baby." But if you look at her behaviour, it is obvious(at least to me) that she really doesn't care about being a mother to anyone over the age of six months. Even in the first Duggar special she admits she is only the baby's buddy while it is tiny and that it gets dumped on a sibling to raise when it is fairly young.

This is true. Even if she was having a breakdown, she'd never be able to admit it because they have to keep up the appearance.

Every time I see that clip it makes me so angry. Poor Anna was in agony, and this is when her douchebag husband takes a nap? My first labor lasted 42 hours from the first real contractions until the resulting c-section. The only time my husband even attempted to sleep was when I tried to rest (which didn't work all that well for either of us). He dozed a bit here and there but for the most part didn't get any rest at all. He spent the night pressing his fists against my lower back to help ease some of the pain until I had progressed far enough for the hospital to admit me. At the hospital, he downed multiple cups of coffee (which he hates !) to keep awake enough to be there for me. A few hours after my c-section, he went home to shower and rest a bit and came back with a change of clothes and slept at the hospital with me. That is what a decent husband does, Josh. Pay attention (since it has been speculated in the past that you read here.).

I TOLD my husband to go take a nap when I was in labor with my second pregnancy-first was a C-section. He tried very hard to be helpful, but I really just wanted to be left alone. I felt...different, not my normal self, and his help, questions, touch, everything, bothered me. I knew I'd be up all night and did not want to get mad at him, especially when he was trying so hard, so I talked him into going to sleep. He was back in plenty of time for the birth. Maybe Anna felt the same way I did? Wouldn't you if Josh were at YOUR labor? :D

I TOLD my husband to go take a nap when I was in labor with my second pregnancy-first was a C-section. He tried very hard to be helpful, but I really just wanted to be left alone. I felt...different, not my normal self, and his help, questions, touch, everything, bothered me. I knew I'd be up all night and did not want to get mad at him, especially when he was trying so hard, so I talked him into going to sleep. He was back in plenty of time for the birth. Maybe Anna felt the same way I did? Wouldn't you if Josh were at YOUR labor? :D

You do have a really good point there. It could be possible that she just wanted him to shut up and leave her the hell alone. :)

I don't agree. Have you seen all the interviews with JB yukking it up with all the "we're having fun trying for more babies" line? They have clearly stated they are trying to conceive, not just "we're open to pregnancy".

Yes, I've seen them, and clearly JB is an ass, but what is Michelle supposed to say? "No thank you, we really don't want any more?" That wouldn't be keeping sweet, would it? She can't say they're done. She has no agency in this damn cult. Even JB can't say they're done. When you're in a fertility cult you have to go as far as your fertility will take you. So I'm forced to go on her tone of voice, which I find ambivalent at this point. She can be a victim as well as an abuser.

NaXsc4H3Oms

It's a shame that she's been drinking the Duggar kool-aid so thoroughly, Anna was really kind of adorable in this. It's like she took over Josiah's job of sanctimonious preaching just as he became likable. (Fun, yet sad fact: if you look up Josiah Duggar on google to double check the spelling, "Josiah Duggar Twitter" is the top suggestion. Unless, of course, this is real, in which case it's rather strange, more than anything else. https://twitter.com/JosiahDuggar1)

As an aside, after reading this topic, and reflecting on the few minutes of The Back-up Plan I saw on tv the other day, when that one friend was giving birth in the kiddie pool and screaming for the mirror so she could watch the baby come out? I can't unsee the image of J'chelle doing that...

I did the same on baby number 1. No point both of us walking the halls. I woke him up when things got really going.

I totally understand about wanting to be left alone during labor. I was like that but I did not want my husband to leave the room. Then again everyone is different.

Josh taking a nap while Anna was in labor never really bothered. It was more of the fact that he went to the bedroom and got in a comfy bed. The least he could have done is sit up in a chair and nap like other expectant fathers do.

I don't think so many people would be bothered by it if he had taken a short nap in the earlier stages of labor, but he crawled into his nice comfy bed when Anna was very obviously near the end and in agony. He got to go be alone and get some peace and quiet while his laboring wife had to deal with (on top of severe pain and exhaustion) Michelle, Jill, Jinger, the midwife/doula/whatever that lady is, and the film crew all in a very small space. Add in the fact that he nearly missed the birth of his son, and he comes off as quite the douchebag.

I think if Anna wanted him out he would have said so. The nap was left in the footage and he was given the opportunity to explain. If he had said simply "I was in the way so I went to lay down" no one would have questioned him. Instead, he spouted shit about him being tired... We know you were tired, dumbass, the question is whether you were supporting your wife.

I don't think so many people would be bothered by it if he had taken a short nap in the earlier stages of labor, but he crawled into his nice comfy bed when Anna was very obviously near the end and in agony. He got to go be alone and get some peace and quiet while his laboring wife had to deal with (on top of severe pain and exhaustion) Michelle, Jill, Jinger, the midwife/doula/whatever that lady is, and the film crew all in a very small space. Add in the fact that he nearly missed the birth of his son, and he comes off as quite the douchebag.

The thing that bothers me is that he would rather sleep than support her. I don't think I could get my fiance to leave my side during labor even if I threatened to shoot him. When I had my accident last summer and sprained my ankle, he refused to leave. The only time he wasn't with me was when I went to the bathroom and in the X-ray room, where he was barred at the door.

I could understand if she wanted him out of her hair for a bit. But if she didn't, why wouldn't he want to be there?

I feel for Anna if he just stuck her with everybody.

My husband was at home taking care of our other two kids during the first 12 hours of my labor while I was at the hospital just walking around and going through the first stage of contractions. We knew they were going to break my water at 8 am. After they broke my water, labor kicked into full gear. He was 20 minutes late and I had to endure several agonizing contractions on my own. When he walked in the birthing room at 8:20, I screamed, "YOU'RE LATE!" He never left again, not even to go to the bathroom.

Maybe Anna did boot him out or maybe she didn't, but his aloofness to her clear agony is what I think bothers most people. Does Anna get a nap? No, she still has to go through the actual labor and pushing.

My husband was at home taking care of our other two kids during the first 12 hours of my labor while I was at the hospital just walking around and going through the first stage of contractions. We knew they were going to break my water at 8 am. After they broke my water, labor kicked into full gear. He was 20 minutes late and I had to endure several agonizing contractions on my own. When he walked in the birthing room at 8:20, I screamed, "YOU'RE LATE!" He never left again, not even to go to the bathroom.

Maybe Anna did boot him out or maybe she didn't, but his aloofness to her clear agony is what I think bothers most people. Does Anna get a nap? No, she still has to go through the actual labor and pushing.

I am starting to get a little frustrated at the toilet birth comments. I had an unmedicated hospital delivery with my son. One of the most comfortable places to push was on the toilet. No, I didn't give birth on the toilet, but I might have. It was also my midwife's suggestion to try the toilet.

My good friend was also more comfortable on the toilet during the birth of her daughter. I just don't think it's the huge deal people on here are making it out to be.

Having said that, I didn't have a camera crew there, either, to video all the details for national tv.

Edited for riffles.

That's what my midwife had me do, too, when my labor started to slow. She said sitting on the toilet is a natural way to get the baby to position better in the pelvis and put pressure on the cervix to optimize dilation. I also didn't give birth while I was actually on the toilet, but I could have if my water had broken while I was on there! lol I had my midwife break my water at 8.5 cm and my son was out within 5 minutes! I wouldn't have made it to my bed. It is a pretty common method for facilitating natural childbirth, though. That's the purpose of a birthing stool, as well.

I actually think it is kind of good that they showed all the "I can't take this anymore" and pain and mess and time of normal childbirth.

The whole process has become so ridiculously sanitized that I think some people see it as a requirement to jump straight to invasive procedures if more than a little pain is felt or it takes more than a few hours. I think shows like "baby story" really plays to this.

I'm not at all against hospital births or interventions as needed - but I think there is value in normalizing a "regular" birth and showing a positive outcome.

I agree! I know in each of my births (hell, even the epidural, hospital one!) I reached a point where I cried and said I couldn't do it anymore and wanted it to stop. That point is usually during transition. I was in labor for 27-1/2 hours from start of Pitocin/contractions to delivery. 21 of those were without pain meds. Even with the epidural, I was miserable. The other 3 were natural homebirths, 13, 8, and 10 hours respectively. Even my friends who had 4 hour long labors said they didn't think they would make it and ended up having epidurals (barely).

Most are horizontal just below the bikini line. (Mine was 4 years ago, and my friends six weeks ago was as well.)

But when there are complications, sometimes in emergency c-sections they cut vertically and the scar tissue along the incision makes succeeding pregnancies near impossible to carry to term. (I don't know the scientific reasonings, but when they were prepping me for my c-section the doctor mentioned this as a possibility if I didn't agree to the c-section before it became a dire emergency. )

It's normal to do an c-section below the bikini line because that's a point where there is less pressure on the uterus. The upper part of the uterus is growing a lot more, especially during the next pregnancy. In case of an emergency (or very rare occasions) they decide to do an vertical incision because it's faster

I know one woman who spent the whole time saying "i'm sorry ! i'm sorry" - her poor husband was getting death glares from all the medical staff - he wasn't abusive at all and after the birth she had no idea why she was saying that !

Poor guy. My mom got similar treatment when I was about 2 and needed to have a spinal tap done. Apparently I spent the whole time crying "I'll be good! I'll be good!", which raised a few eyebrows.

Poor guy. My mom got similar treatment when I was about 2 and needed to have a spinal tap done. Apparently I spent the whole time crying "I'll be good! I'll be good!", which raised a few eyebrows.

Actually, I could understand the "I'm sorry" thing. I could see myself apologizing to the medical staff in the midst of labor. I hate drawing attention to myself and feeling like I'm being annoying or a nuisance. So if I'm screaming or irritable or unpleasant, I could see myself being embarrassed (between contractions, at least), even if consciously I know that it's totally normal/understandable and that the doctors and nurses see it every day.

Maybe some childhood crap came to the surface.

Actually, Michelle and Anna already wore matching maternity outfits. It was when Anna was pregnant with Mackynzie and Michelle was pregnant with Josie. The episode is from season 3, 18K&C: Duggars at the Doctor. It's the one where they go to the huge baby gear consignment sale. They wore the exact same, ugly, green maternity shirt. Now that I've looked at it again, they're not only wearing the same maternity shirt, but they're both wearing white shirts underneath and black skirts. Here's the youtube video of the part of the episode where they're shopping.

NaXsc4H3Oms

I must admit, I went through a matching phase with my friends when I was 13. IMHO, it's something you do when you're a kid and with other kids the same age as you. I wonder if Anna's lack of exposure to a wide variety of people (like in a public school) kept her from going through this phase earlier? Her social circle seems larger now than when she was growing up. Maybe she has found more women that she wants to emulate?

Edited to change a rogue comma to a period.

I'd be more inclined to assume the matching shirt thing came from Michelle, rather than Anna. Like Michelle said, "I bought us matching maternity shirts! Don't we look like pregnant sisters!?" and Anna was like, "Okay...." She probably just wanted to please her mother in law, especially because they're so overly involved in each other's lives. Can't afford to start a rift over a damn shirt.

Archived